shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Thoughts on this Diamond

SDiamond

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

I've been reading through the forum as I am deciding to make a purchase on an engagement ring. I realize I should have left myself some more time before an upcoming trip to make this purchase.

Thoughts on this one?

Online Retailer - $14780
Round Brilliant
6.54-6.58x4.04mm
Cut Grade - AGS Ideal 0
Light Performance - AGS Ideal 0
Polish - AGS Ideal 0
Symmetry AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade - AGS 1.0 (F)
Clarity Grade - AGS 1 (VVS1)
Carat 1.063
Fluorescence - Negligible
HCA - 1.0

I am also considering these other two from B&M retailers, these prices include setting

Tiffany - 1.06, F, VVS2 $20,600/1.07, G, VVS2 $18,900/1.04,F,VS1 $19,400
Birks - 1.20,G,VS2 $19,200/ 1.03,F,VS1

I don't have other stats for the above as I didn't ask yet.

I'm waffling between name brand B&M and online, just for the trust factor and hoping that I get what I paid for and warranties/maintenance etc.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any desire to go larger? You can easily drop the clarity down to VS1/2 and still not see anything.
Whiteflash has ACAs (AGS000) stones that you cant go wrong with. Also look at Brian Gavin diamonds.

Btw...the one you posted should be very nice. Just think you could drop the clarity.

sakari_8

Shiny_Rock
Hi

In my opinion the diamond that you have selected is good, however if you could compromise on clarity and instead go with high carat weight, because if you go with VS1-VS2 clarity it will appear just the same to the naked eye.

I think online prices are far better & I would always recommend to buy online, you would have to select the right company to do business online though, as long as the company has friendly policies like Return policy, free return policy, upgrade policy etc & good reputation, you could do business with them, several companies you would find on Pricescope.

Without the stats on the other stones, I think nobody could comment on it.

Good Luck :)

SDiamond

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1373631127|3481676 said:
Do you have any desire to go larger? You can easily drop the clarity down to VS1/2 and still not see anything.
Whiteflash has ACAs (AGS000) stones that you cant go wrong with. Also look at Brian Gavin diamonds.

Btw...the one you posted should be very nice. Just think you could drop the clarity.

I'd like to go larger. I think I have a mental block knowing that its a lesser C grade, but from what I've seen in person I'd agree you can certainly drop clarity and still be eye clean.

I did look at Whiteflash, James Allen and BGD, they don't seem to have a diamond with lesser clarity, higher carat, same colour and excellent polish/symmetry, no fluorescence in an True Hearts/BGD Signature or Cut Above stone that is under $15,000.

SDiamond

Rough_Rock
sakari_8|1373644638|3481807 said:
Hi

In my opinion the diamond that you have selected is good, however if you could compromise on clarity and instead go with high carat weight, because if you go with VS1-VS2 clarity it will appear just the same to the naked eye.

I think online prices are far better & I would always recommend to buy online, you would have to select the right company to do business online though, as long as the company has friendly policies like Return policy, free return policy, upgrade policy etc & good reputation, you could do business with them, several companies you would find on Pricescope.

Without the stats on the other stones, I think nobody could comment on it.

Good Luck :)

I like to research important purchases and that's how I stumbled upon the world of online diamond shopping. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought of it. To be honest, I am still a bit skeptical. But I simply cannot ignore the price difference. So I want to order the engagement ring online so I can actually see it in person and then make a decision about which route to go.

I posted my thoughts in response to tyty333 comment above regarding clarity and size.

SDiamond

Rough_Rock
Just to report back.....

I went back into Tiffany's today to look at the rings I saw earlier in the week. I had asked to see a larger carat weight, 1.27 F, VS2. I was actually able to see a black inclusion with the naked eye. I was quite surprised to see that they would sell a stone like that. They brought over their gemologist, he looked at it under 10x 40x and confirmed. Really odd if you ask me that its visible with the unaided eye.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are VS stones that have black inclusions. The VS grade is due to the number of inclusions and only one may make the grade. However, one eye visible black inclusion would be a no go for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stick with VS1 when possible because I do not like inclusions that I can even see with a 10x loupe. But I do not care to overpay for higher clarity than that since a VS1 is going to be extremely clean.

Here is a great stone:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2953039.htm

Trying to look for others but I have a terrible Internet connection at the moment (in mountains in the rain!).

Not seeing a VS1 with the specs you want at Good Old Gold, but they can call stones in for you. This is a gorgeous stone but you'd have to ask them to check the inclusions to see if it is 100% eye clean. It is $15,711.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10822/

I have a setting that several people here have, and it is a fine reproduction of the Tiffany knife edge solitaire setting. It is made by Vatche and is the U113. It will cost you under $2000 for the setting in platinum, and both WhiteFlash and Good Old Gold carry the setting. I have bought diamonds form both of these vendors and recommend them highly for top cut diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results