Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I really liked this diamond and pulled the trigger. Ritani has a good return policy though. The cost is a bit under 4k. It's an HPHT diamond from Ritani. Thanks in advance. :)

https://diamond-assets.ritani.com/IGI-LG579392583/certificate.pdf

Agree that the video doesn't line up with the grading report. I'm seeing inclusions out in the crown. Some nasty pavilion twist, as well. The diamond shown in the video looks to be a VS1-VS2, if I had to guess the clarity.

Screenshot_20230522-070446-148.png

Screenshot_20230522-065921-012.png

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @DejaWiz! Ritani cancelled my order. :) I don't know what I was thinking.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Agree that the video doesn't line up with the grading report. I'm seeing inclusions out in the crown. Some nasty pavilion twist, as well. The diamond shown in the video looks to be a VS1-VS2, if I had to guess the clarity.

Screenshot_20230522-070446-148.png

Screenshot_20230522-065921-012.png

@DejaWiz I’ve seen pavilion twist mentioned several times and I am not sure what it means or how you’d spot it. If I were guessing I would define it as differing measurements in the pavilion mains that would change meet points….but I’m guessing. If you have a definition and could share how to spot pavilion twist I would appreciate it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz I’ve seen pavilion twist mentioned several times and I am not sure what it means or how you’d spot it. If I were guessing I would define it as differing measurements in the pavilion mains that would change meet points….but I’m guessing. If you have a definition and could share how to spot pavilion twist I would appreciate it.

Hi, Tonks!
From what I've learned from a few of the pros and prosumers here, it's the result of when some of the pavilion facets are twisted in the 3D space of the diamond, causing a misalignment which results in incorrect light reflection and leakage. It can be accidental through sloppy or lesser skilled cutters, or intentional by a savy and tricky cutter looking to retain carat weight while still knowing that it'll pop Excellent/Ideal by most grading labs that don't include true 3D precision as a criteria for their cut grades. It applies to both LGD and EGD.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Tonks!
From what I've learned from a few of the pros and prosumers here, it's the result of when some of the pavilion facets are twisted in the 3D space of the diamond, causing a misalignment which results in incorrect light reflection and leakage. It can be accidental through sloppy or lesser skilled cutters, or intentional by a savy and tricky cutter looking to retain carat weight while still knowing that it'll pop Excellent/Ideal by most grading labs that don't include true 3D precision as a criteria for their cut grades. It applies to both LGD and EGD.

Thank you for the explanation!

As far as spotting it, is that what you circled above with the sort of triangles? You would basically look between the arrow shafts?

Apologies for the threadjack, @Lisa Loves Shiny ! There are a couple of pretty stones in that 3 to 3.3 range at Distinctive Gem. The price is a good bit higher, though.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the explanation!

As far as spotting it, is that what you circled above with the sort of triangles? You would basically look between the arrow shafts?

Apologies for the threadjack, @Lisa Loves Shiny ! There are a couple of pretty stones in that 3 to 3.3 range at Distinctive Gem. The price is a good bit higher, though.

You're very welcome!
Yes, that's what I look for...and the little dark triangles can be tiny to huge, so I also look for indications of leakage to try and determine if there's a detrimental impact to the optics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results