shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on the "cake in the face" thing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I already discussed this with my FFI, after seeing a Knot wedding video where the groom acted like he wasn''t, and then mashed it into her face.

I asked him what he thought about that tradition, and he said: "Lame." I was relieved, and replied: "Good, because if you mashed goop all over my makeup and hair, I''d drop you right then and there, wedding guests and all."

And I would. I don''t care if it would create whispers of domestic abuse, cake shoved in your face is humiliating. People shouldn''t be laughing AT you at your wedding, y''know?

Tisme

Rough_Rock
I''d never heard of this custom until I was visiting the US for a wedding some years ago, and the groom smushed cake all over the bride''s face. I was absolutely horrified that he''d done something which, to me, seemed so mean and spiteful - and yet all the other guests were laughing and taking photos!

The bride was fairly okay about it, although she didn''t seem totally thrilled, but to me as a foreigner it seemed a really unloving thing to do to your beautiful new bride in front of her friends and family. I found it extremely uncomfortable to watch - almost an ''aggressive'' act, rather than a ''fun'' act of affection - and it spoiled the rest of the evening just a little bit for me.

Fortunately it''s not a custom over here (UK), as Lorelei mentioned, so the issue never arose at my own wedding!
1.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
My dad has a very interesting theory on the cake smashing - the couples that do it don''t last. We didn''t smash, and are on 5 happy years...

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 3:54:00 PM
Author: Tisme
I''d never heard of this custom until I was visiting the US for a wedding some years ago, and the groom smushed cake all over the bride''s face. I was absolutely horrified that he''d done something which, to me, seemed so mean and spiteful - and yet all the other guests were laughing and taking photos!

The bride was fairly okay about it, although she didn''t seem totally thrilled, but to me as a foreigner it seemed a really unloving thing to do to your beautiful new bride in front of her friends and family. I found it extremely uncomfortable to watch - almost an ''aggressive'' act, rather than a ''fun'' act of affection - and it spoiled the rest of the evening just a little bit for me.

Exactly. Well said. It reminds me of schoolyard bullies rubbing mud or snow in their little victim''s faces. It smacks of scary undertones, if you ask me.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2006 3:56:31 PM
Author: MustangGal
My dad has a very interesting theory on the cake smashing - the couples that do it don''t last. We didn''t smash, and are on 5 happy years...
ok quick survey:

no smash - 11 years

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL. no smash 25 years.

Linda

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another no smash here, 20 years this September
1.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 3:39:18 AM
Author: Lorelei
Just thought you might be interested to know we don''t do cake in the face in the UK. Part of the reason could be is that traditional wedding cake here is a solid fruit cake ,which sticks to your ribs
6.gif
with hard icing - it wouldn''t squish satisfactorily anyway
16.gif

Yeah...if you did the ''cake in the face'' thing here, you might break your partners nose... and spend the next 6-hours in the emergency room
7.gif

Blod

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have three younger brothers and I must admit that one was sort of my favorite when I was growing up. When he got married he didn''t smash cake in his bride''s face, but she did in his. I can''t tell you how much it hurt to watch that.

My brother and his wife were fairly young when they married (very early twenties). I think of the cake smashing as more of a young kid thing.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
My FF and I talked about this this weekend, and he agrees with me that it''s stupid. He doesn''t understand why people would do that and he said "Why smash perfectly good cake - and an expensive one at that! (men and food, eh?
28.gif
) - in each other''s faces? I wouldn''t want cake all over me... Yuck!"

So, we''re in agreement.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results