shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Thoughts on Tennis Bracelets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am thinking about getting a new diamond bracelet for my anniversary in June. If I do I would prefer to order from Whiteflash because I like the quality of the stones they use and their pricing is good. I would probably choose one of their standard settings so it could be returned without any restocking fee. This should be a safe way to reassure my reluctant husband that it is okay to buy jewelry online (this from a man who bought a plasma TV off the internet!). Anyway I have tried on several bracelets in stores and read several threads posted by Noobie, Flower, and others. I have eliminated the 4-prong style and I am thinking of going with about 5 carats. Here are my questions:

1) I really like both the 3-prong and half-bezel settings. Can anyone who owns either style of bracelet give me their thoughts on its durability for everday wear and how much the metal in the setting really shows up?

2) Do you think that it is worth the extra cost to upgrade to platinum for a bracelet?

3) On the 3-prong bracelet there is about a $2600 jump in price to go from 5 carats to 6 carats. The stones would go from around 11.6 points to 15 points. Is there really enough visual difference to justify the substantial increase in cost?

I have plenty of time to make up my mind, but I would like to get thoughts and opinions from my fellow pricescopers! Thanks.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
This is the 3-prong style. I know Coda72 posted a lovely picture of this bracelet in 3 carats and the bar didn''t show up much at all.

WF3prong5.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
This is the half-bezel design. I found a few on the Show Me Your Diamond Bracelets thread, but they had larger diamonds.

WFhalfbez.jpg

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Sundial,

Since you saw my bracelet, you know that I don''t think the metal shows up that much at all in the 3-prong. In my opinion the metal will be more visible on the half-bezel setting. Both settings seem to be very durable for everyday wear. I don''t wear mine to work every day because I work in a lab, but if I had an office job, I would definitely wear it. The half-bezel will match your e-ring, but I don''t know if you care about that. I really like the looks of the 3 prong over the half-bezel.

If you''re going to be wearing the bracelet every day, you might want to get platinum to avoid having to rhodium plate the white gold that often. I only wear my bracelet on the weekends, so I got white gold knowing that it would take a while for the rhodium plating to wear off.

To me, the size difference between the 11.6 pointers and the 15 pointers would not be enough for me to spend that much more money, but if possible, you should ask Whiteflash if they can take pictures of the two bracelets side by side so that you can see the difference. It may be more pronounced than I think it would be.

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
I have a 6ctw tennis bracelet in a 2-prong style with 58 ~10 pointers. (The diamonds are set closer to one another than on the WF bracelet.) Even 2 prongs is quite durable. The links and prongs are MUCH more reliable than the clasp! I initially regretted getting the 18kt setting but later read that 18kt is stronger than platinum - would be nice if someone else could verify this. For me even 10 points is not small, so it really depends on what style you prefer.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I would agree that more metal would be shown on a half bezel setting. However, it may have a more uniform look. The bezels will make the diamonds appear larger too.

If it were up to me and money were an issue, I''d spend the money on getting the bigger diamonds (6cts) and get white gold. Otherwise, the platinum would be very nice too!

BTW, that a shared prong tennis bracelet is something I can only dream about right now...but believe me, I DO DREAM!
3.gif
3.gif

madmarlin

Rough_Rock
Last year, I bought my wife the half bezel tennis bracelet. It''s only 4 carats but, as mentioned by someone earlier, the half bezel setting makes it look larger.

It''s funny. My wife originally intended for it to be something she would only wear occasionally, however, it has almost turned in to an every day accessory! It holds up very well and the style does lend itslef to either casual or elegant.

I was originally looking at the WF bracelet, but ended up getting mine from Mark T at Engagement Rings Direct. He doesn''t list them on his website, but he can make them. The stones he chose were gorgeous, all VS1 F. Stunning work and at a great price to boot. I''d recommend him in a heartbeat!

Best of luck!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sundial,

I have posted my half bezel bracelet in the Show Me Your Tennis....thread. It is larger in carat weight than you are looking at, but I do like the half bezel for everyday tough wear. I wear mine almost everyday and it is 14ktYG. My last 14ktYG bracelet, the links wore out and I had it remade. I do love that pronged style though, and if I change again I will look at that. The 3 prong looks daintier and I think you would see more of the diamond. But is there a chance of chipping and knocking the stone up against something.

Tough call, both styles are nice.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the input so far! The consensus seems to be that although the semi-bezel might offer a little more protection, the style shows more metal and less diamond than the 3-prong. I am definately leaning toward the 3-prong. Still not sure about the value of going with platinum for a bracelet.

jjdon

Rough_Rock
Jeweler here, having made, repaired and replaced many a tennis bracelet. 1st.- 18kt. is WAY softer than platinum. Whoever told the writer different is a complete idiot - sorry for being candid, but it''s just so very wrong. Platinum is the most durable of all precious metals in all ways, all the time - 14 yellow, 14 white, 18 y&w. Period. Of course, there''s the cost...... Tennis bracelets rarely lose their stones unless they are cheap or poorly set to begin with, although it does happen. What happens first, almost always, is the links break or come apart, because they are under constant wear. If one is contemplating buying one, the style of prongs is more a matter of taste, again, if it''s well made. It is a good, heavy bracelet (not cheap, of course), and tight links to begin with, that will give it a lifespan. Yes, there is a price jump from .10 ct. to .15 ct......

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to have overgeneralized about 18kt vs platinum. I was told recently, by a very respected jewelry house, that their particular 95/5 platinum alloy is softer than the gold they use. Forgot that this depends on the type of alloy. Also, came across this thread about w.g. vs plat (while searching for info about Facets, not about metals!).

widget

Ideal_Rock
Can I throw in another question about tennis bracelets?...or any bracelets, for that matter: What clasps and safety mechanisms are the best?

I''m so paranoid about losing bracelet, I''m inclined to add safety chains...but it seems to such a pity to spoil the line of the bracelet...

TIA
widget

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks very much for the info jjdon! Sounds like platinum is worth the money, maybe even more so for a bracelet. I guess the platinum links would not wear out like on Ann's bracelet. Diamond_quester I was confused on this issue of the hardness of white gold too. And Widget you make a good point about the safety clasp. I mean the security of the setting doesn't mean much if the whole bracelet comes off!!! Also thank you Madmarlin for the suggestion on Mark T. I didn't realize that he makes bracelets too. Coda and Jelly I appreciate your input as well. Coda your bracelet is one of my inspirations for this whole project!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sundial...just had to chime in and say that while i like the WF settings for bracelets, i recently tried on a 4 prong set bracelet, where the diamonds were set close together and it was STUNNING on the wrist. i puffy hearted it big time. it was just like just a glittering line of loveliness. it was at nordstroms' just for fun and was 3ctw...which seems like it'd be around my speed, i like smaller items for things like that...anyway WF's 4 prong setting didn't seem to look the same when i looked at it online so not sure if there are other settings that are like what i tried on but i just loved the 4 prong.

personally, i don't like the 3 prong setting because the diamonds look like little triangles to me in all the pictures we have seen on here thanks to the setting. also i dont like bezels or half bezels at all, so unfortunately i can't advise either way other than to say that this 4 prong one at nordy's was just breathtaking and it made me want a tennis bracelet in the future!!!

have fun shopping!!! oh and i would say that i dont think $2600 is worth it for 1ctw extra! $2600 is like a .75c solitaire pendant!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Mara this just illustrates the importance of actually trying on different styles. Now to me the 4-prong styles that I have seen make the diamonds look square. I prefer the slightly triangular look of the 3-prong. I was also considering semi-bezel because it would coordinate with my three stone ring and the style does make the stones look a little larger. When I was shopping the bracelet I actually liked best was a Roberto Coin Cento 3-prong with about 4 carats. What a beauty, but SO overpriced! You make a good point on the $2600. The price increase to go from 4 carats to 5 isn't that great, but that is a pretty big step up to 6 carats and I'm not sure you could see that much difference.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you have tried on a bunch of things before and know you love those two, then i''d say 3 prong just because for me i''m not a bezel fan on bracelets, esp half...i don''t like visible metal on stuff like that. your ring is an exception, one of the prettiest bezelly rings around here. but a typical bracelet or whatever, way too much metal and i prefer to see diamonds!

on this 3ctw bracelet i tried on, the diamonds were small so you couldn''t even FOCUS on whether they looked square or triangle, they just sparkled. but because it was closely set 4 prong there were no gaps in the sparkle or any shape to it but straight. it was literally like a blazing line of sparkle on the wrist. i was enamored.
11.gif
now to get it on the list...ehhee.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Mara do you mean something like this delicate 4-prong posted by Butterfly17 (hope you don''t mind my reposting it)?

butterbracelet.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Or maybe this 5 carat beauty from PunchNPie (again I hope I have not offended by reposting your bracelet)???

punchpiebrace.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sundial it looked more like butterfly''s because it was only 3ctw so it was like a thin glittering line of diamonds. they all kind of jumbled together in sparkle. so pretty...very delicate appearing.

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sundial, I''m responding here as to not hijack the show-me thread. Thanks for the compliment on my bracelet!
1.gif
I don''t wear it everyday because it seems excessive where I work, otherwise I would. My only complaint about the size is that I think a 6ctw bracelet overpowers my 1ct e-ring.

By the way, my absolute favorite bracelet when looking was a semi-bezel set with alternating groups of pink diamonds set in rose gold and white diamonds set in white gold. I think it was 3ctw white, 2ctw pink. Something like 4 pinks, then 5 whites, etc, and the white diamonds were slightly larger than the pinks. That cost ~$15K at a B&M.
31.gif
It would have been neat to custom order this style with a cheaper replacement for the pink diamonds.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t responded to this thread because I''m not a bracelet girl but wanted to say I think Kayla and PNP''s bracelet''s are just gorgeous. I agree with Mara and the 3 prong looking like triangles, don''t know if that''s true in person though.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting my bracelet and for the nice compliments!

I have always been a fan of 4 prongs for all my jewelry versus 3 prong (which are beautiful too) but personally for me I liked the 4 prong for the tennis bracelet because it "flows" better and truly makes it looks like a "line" bracelet. My stones are about .10 carat each so i think the width with the metal and all is about 3 or 3.5 mm? Its delicate yet makes a statement. I think butterfly17''s bracelet looks more delicate than mine probably is (although she has such delicate wrists which make it look even better)

mine is 18k white gold and has been fine thus far, but I dont wear it daily to work because i dont want it to bang up on my equipment i use at work, so I dont know how it would compare versus plat. i wanted to put more $$ toward the carat weight and diamond quality so 18k made it cheaper so i could do so.

i love how the bezel would compliment your ring though! I think the bezel makes it look though more "casual" and "trendy" where the other type could be more dressy/versatile?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts guys! I keep going back and forth on this and now I'm considering maybe doing a diamond bangle instead. Just so hard to choose!!! I really like the size of your bracelet PunchNPie and it looks so sparkly in that pic!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 1:22:07 PM
Author: Sundial
Thanks for your thoughts guys! I keep going back and forth on this and now I''m considering maybe doing a diamond bangle instead. Just so hard to choose!!! I really like the size of your bracelet PunchNPie and it looks so sparkly in that pic!

Thanks Sundial! I love the size of my bracelet because its not too small, yet not too big. Im relatively young so I dont think I can pull off anything bigger...yet :) i think its also a good size for that line between casual and formal too, so i like the versatility.

I would love a diamond bangle bracelet! yum
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results