shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on stone as a match

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm back with a stone match! I was a little overwhelmed by the search months back and then put it on hold for a while.

Then diamondseeker2006 inspired me with her excellent upgrade experience with Whiteflash and started me searching again. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous earrings @diamondseeker2006!! I'm sticking with WF for their solid upgrade policy!

On Friday I found a K SI1 ACA stone that was priced reasonably at USD5.2K and thought it was too good to pass on! Michelle has given me her thoughts on this stone; it's not super eye clean but will be fine for earrings, but compared to other K stones, it's warmer than the other 2 Ks that she looked at. She suggested another J stone instead as a match.

I remember reading on PS that the color grading margin gets wider as we go down the alphabets so an I vs K would be a lot more than a D vs F. So compared side by side, there will be an obvious difference from the other stone which is an expert selection I SI2 with med fluorescence, even with the fantastic light performance of the ACA stone. My rationale is to get this K stone as a temporary match since I want the earrings so badly. And when I visit the US next year, I would then upgrade it or maybe both stones if needed for them to be more compatible.

I've stalked PS and found some J/K earring pairs that were fabulous matches. I have also seen that Phoenix had a pair of K ACAs some time back. (TBH that also encouraged me to take the plunge with the K @Phoenix (hello from SG too:)) did the warmth of the K earrings bug you back then?

When worn, will it be obvious I have an I in one ear and K in the other? Would you just get the K stone? or go with a J for 6.7K right away? I am also factoring other things like having to pay more GST (7%) when receiving a stone of a higher value into my country.

At this point, budget is a concern as I am now also planning a wedding/getting a house at the moment. Unfortunately, I just cannot wait much longer to get this earring project done!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, a WF Exp Sel I-SI2 with med blue fluor will clearly be higher in color than the K-SI1 ACA - yes it will be a noticeable difference - but depending on your head size and your ear placement, likely most of the time people looking at you won't see both ears at the same time - it really comes down to you and your level of patience.

But, I will ask, why commit to a stone that you *know* is not even close to matching the stone you already own? Why not just wait a while to increase your budget and/or for more stones to come down the pike?

No matter how good the price, it is not a deal if you're not buying what you're actually looking for.

Just my two cents.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Thank you! I do really love my studs! I am so glad you are sticking with WF!!! Honestly, I'd wait until I could get an I color one to match the other. You could be very lucky and find a high J, but an I with fluorescence is going to face up pretty white. I'd go for I first, and second choice would be a high J. They can compare and identify a higher J if they have multiple stones to choose from. I really wouldn't even consider K for a pair of earrings.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would eventually bug me and I would wish I had waited to find another K (or a J).

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
Hi marymm, diamondseeker2006 and HappyNewLife you all made very good points; thanks for being very honest. I was thinking of having the K as a temporary stone but I see now that there's really no point going through the hassle and the colour of the stone will probably bug me in the long run anyway, even if it doesn't already bug me right away.

So I took your advice and Michelle and I discussed a couple of I & J stones and this particular J stone is a high J. She said it's visually the same as the I and from the side only very slightly warmer. So I've picked the J.

Thanks again for helping me save both time and money :) I'll post again once I get the stone.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missyminx, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I was in the hospital these last few days (nothing serious). I see you've decided not to go with the K. Yes, my K's bothered me, even in the face-up position. I upgraded those to J's and then to my current G&H.

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
@missyminx, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I was in the hospital these last few days (nothing serious). I see you've decided not to go with the K. Yes, my K's bothered me, even in the face-up position. I upgraded those to J's and then to my current G&H.

@Phoenix Oh dear I hope you are alright and feeling better now! I hope it isn't due to the hot weather, it was nasty the last couple of weeks. Luckily it's rained the last two days. Thanks for sharing, I was really looking forward to hearing from you on your Ks! I can't wait to receive this diamond. Coincidentally after I made payment, I realised that my parents will be going to Hong Kong next week for a short trip, so I will try to have the stone Fedex-ed to them there! :mrgreen2: Hopefully it works out alright. G-H is my ultimate goal so I'm banking on the WF upgrade policy for the future! Hope you get well soon!! =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results