shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on setting a diamond this way

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
So the girlfriend picked out an Engagement ring on her own, and my big task is picking out the diamond. The ring actually has 6 or 8 side stones (2 sets of 2 on each side I'm thinking). I know that she wants a princess cut to go with it, and right now I have a .90 picked out for it.
I've been trying to get a perfectly square one, so that it can be set diagonally. It looks really nice in the setting that way... but I don't know if she'll like it, and I don't know how popular that it. I can't say that I have seen that before.

What are your thoughts on setting the diamond like this?

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
In other words, it would look a little something like this;

==BB<>BB==

The == represents the ring itself
the B's are double stacked diamonds... the inner most diamonds are little larger and higher than the outter ones.
the <> represents the diamond set diagonally, as opposed to this;

==BB[ ]BB==

Sorry for the cheesy illustrations... your help is appreciated though!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know wether this is good or bad news, but this has been done already. There are a few examples with asscher cuts at Icestore. Another one, with a Royal Asscher and vivid pink sides (tiny) is at jewelryexpert.com and here it is a picture with a side-ways princess. One designer even put 'channel' set squares this way! The shape looks great on the finger (a lozenghe cut tourmaline here on my finger can testify), but the style is a personal choice rather than a clasic, so, just make sure you show these pics before going forth!

PS: the pic comes from a respectable e-bay seller (this ).

PRI-STAR-3.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And HERE are the side-ways sides... by Peter Storm

Hope this helps!

storm45.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more...

Do you have the setting already? If you do, and there is no way to protect the four corners of the center stone than you have a problem: those are quite easy to breack into pieces if they stick out of the setting. The corners of an EC are not much better to leave in the air, even though one of the settings mentioned earlier des just this - I wouldn't. However, on some settings one can change the piece that holds the center stone: at best it should look something like the one in the ring with the side-ways princess posted above, unless your jeweler finds some better trick.

tallandtan2k

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. It's great that this has been done already. I didn't expect to be the pioneer. Yes, the setting is picked out, and I think it will look good!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results