shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Thoughts on Knife Edge Settings - Comfortable?

bps413

Shiny_Rock
A while back, my SO mentioned she loves the traditional Tiffany setting (6 prongs, white gold/platinum, round diamond). As I begin my search for a perfect ER for her, I've come to realize that the classic Tiffany setting also consists of knife edge band - something she may or may not have realized...(very possible that I hadn't realized it at the time...lol)

In my research, I've found that people either love the knife edge or hate it. She does typically wear rings but does not own any with a knife edge and I'm concerned she may not like it or could find it uncomfortable. A few questions for the experts and knife edge owners out there!

1. Will a knife edge be as comfortable as a traditional comfort band?
2. Jumping the gun a little bit, but if I go with the knife edge ER, should the wedding band also be a knife edge? Or can I mix and match with something like a comfort pave, as long as the width is the same or similar?

I'd love to ask her about it now that I've learned more about ERs, but that isn't an option because I'd like to surprise her with the proposal and the ring that I've selected for her. Any thoughts, input or photos are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
1. I tried on the knife edge wedding band at Tiffany's several years ago and it seemed to be as comfortable as any other band; however, I have short fingers (size 5) and I thought the knife edge looked unattractive on me, making my little fingers look even pudgier than they already are. I've seen this ring on women with long, slender fingers and it looks amazing. It just doesn't look good on me.

2. I think you would need to match the knife edge engagement ring with a knife edge wedding band. The style is so unique that I think it might look "off" if you went with a different wedding band.

I think Whiteflash or CBI have a Tiffany style band without the knife edge. You might want to check those out.

I recently purchased a diamond ring from Tiffany's by phone and I believe the SA told me that the return period was being extended because of COVID-19. You might want to call them and tell them that you want to purchase an engagement ring but you might need to return it if your SO doesn't like the knife edge. If you can return the ring or swap out the setting, then go for it.

bps413

Shiny_Rock
1. I tried on the knife edge wedding band at Tiffany's several years ago and it seemed to be as comfortable as any other band; however, I have short fingers (size 5) and I thought the knife edge looked unattractive on me, making my little fingers look even pudgier than they already are. I've seen this ring on women with long, slender fingers and it looks amazing. It just doesn't look good on me.

2. I think you would need to match the knife edge engagement ring with a knife edge wedding band. The style is so unique that I think it might look "off" if you went with a different wedding band.

I think Whiteflash or CBI have a Tiffany style band without the knife edge. You might want to check those out.

I recently purchased a diamond ring from Tiffany's by phone and I believe the SA told me that the return period was being extended because of COVID-19. You might want to call them and tell them that you want to purchase an engagement ring but you might need to return it if your SO doesn't like the knife edge. If you can return the ring or swap out the setting, then go for it.

Her ring size is a 7 - do you think the knife edge would look okay? Actually, I have narrowed it down to three different WhiteFlash settings, listed below - any thoughts or impressions?

Knife Edge Solitaire: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-713.htm

Elegant Solitaire: https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/elegant-solitaire-engagement-ring-3581.htm

Contemporary Solitaire: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ntemporary-solitaire-engagement-ring-1416.htm

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I think all of those would look good in a size 7, but I REALLY like the third one, the Contemporary Solitaire. I love the way the shoulders taper in towards the diamond. That style looks so beautiful when you are looking down at it on your hand. Then I like the first and second in that order. I know there are several members who have rings from Whiteflash, but I can't remember now. I will try to find some threads with these rings.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Knife-edge with modifications

Nina-W

Shiny_Rock
My upgraded rings are both knife edge. They are just as comfortable as my old comfort fit set. In fact, my wedding band knife edge is quite sharp. I wear my ERing with a comfort fit band before but I prefer the knife edge band because the height is close to the ERing even though the width is thinner. 0AF850E6-F3DB-4626-AD7D-7027EC1600CB.jpeg 55982425-C20E-44D6-A093-78D9B59BEB8C.jpeg 4349B7F7-4D8E-400E-8362-239060F39808.jpeg

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Contemporary solitaire

bps413

Shiny_Rock
I think all of those would look good in a size 7, but I REALLY like the third one, the Contemporary Solitaire. I love the way the shoulders taper in towards the diamond. That style looks so beautiful when you are looking down at it on your hand. Then I like the first and second in that order. I know there are several members who have rings from Whiteflash, but I can't remember now. I will try to find some threads with these rings.

Thanks for weighing in, I agree with you...I think I'm drawn more to the contemporary style. Hoping the overall height isn't too much, but I don't think it will be an issue.

bps413

Shiny_Rock
My upgraded rings are both knife edge. They are just as comfortable as my old comfort fit set. In fact, my wedding band knife edge is quite sharp. I wear my ERing with a comfort fit band before but I prefer the knife edge band because the height is close to the ERing even though the width is thinner. 0AF850E6-F3DB-4626-AD7D-7027EC1600CB.jpeg 55982425-C20E-44D6-A093-78D9B59BEB8C.jpeg 4349B7F7-4D8E-400E-8362-239060F39808.jpeg

That is a STUNNING rock! Wow. Now that I see the two together, I think you're right about matching knife edges. Out of curiosity, where is your ER setting from and is that WG or Platinum?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would not do a knife-edge. I would go with the Elegant or the Contemporary. No worries about in-between fingers and she
can wear any kind of wedding band with them.

I know we've had a couple of threads about people having the knife-edge soften up so it doesnt bother their other fingers. I dont think it was
a big deal to have done.

Nina-W

Shiny_Rock
That is a STUNNING rock! Wow. Now that I see the two together, I think you're right about matching knife edges. Out of curiosity, where is your ER setting from and is that WG or Platinum?

Thank you! The Ering setting is semi-custom WF knife edge in platinum. The band is platinum as well.

bps413

Shiny_Rock
I personally would not do a knife-edge. I would go with the Elegant or the Contemporary. No worries about in-between fingers and she
can wear any kind of wedding band with them.

I know we've had a couple of threads about people having the knife-edge soften up so it doesnt bother their other fingers. I dont think it was
a big deal to have done.

Good point. I think it might be safer to avoid the knife edge at this stage. Later on, if she really likes it we can always get the stone re-set.

bps413

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! The Ering setting is semi-custom WF knife edge in platinum. The band is platinum as well.

Out of curiosity, how do you like having the platinum? I'm leaning toward white gold currently because of the cost savings and being able to put more money toward the stone itself. Have you had to get it repolished yet?

Nina-W

Shiny_Rock
Out of curiosity, how do you like having the platinum? I'm leaning toward white gold currently because of the cost savings and being able to put more money toward the stone itself. Have you had to get it repolished yet?

I’ve only had my rings less than a month :). I don’t see much difference from white gold except they are heavier.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
@mommylawyer we had a nightmare trying to return an item to Tiffany & get refunded. I think it took 2 months of repeated calls & emails for the refund to come through!

Just making others aware that your money will be tied up for a long time.

bps413

Shiny_Rock
@mommylawyer we had a nightmare trying to return an item to Tiffany & get refunded. I think it took 2 months of repeated calls & emails for the refund to come through!

Thanks! Not going through Tiffany -- was referring to the Tiffany style setting. Sorry that you had that experience!

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock

Good to know. Thanks! Glad you finally got your money back.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Knife's edge is only knife's edge on the side that's not in contact with your finger. Whether you should do knife's edge depends on whether you like the look and the lighter weight. There's absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be able to mix and match with bands.

Me personally, I hate heavy wide bands, but since people love the heft/weight of wide bands (opposite of knife's edge).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knife's edge is only knife's edge on the side that's not in contact with your finger. Whether you should do knife's edge depends on whether you like the look and the lighter weight. There's absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be able to mix and match with bands.

Me personally, I hate heavy wide bands, but since people love the heft/weight of wide bands (opposite of knife's edge).

Are you speaking specifically about WF's knife edge setting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Tiffany repro setting (Vatche U-113) and I can tell you that once you have on a wedding band with the ring, you can no longer feel the knife edge band on the engagement ring. You absolutely do NOT have to have an knife edge wedding band! In fact, I think that is rare. Most of the time I see a diamond wedding band. I wear the Tiffany Legacy band with mine.

IMG_0787.JPG

r 2013-06-22 15.39.54.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Are you speaking specifically about WF's knife edge setting?

No, speaking from what I think would be true in general.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
I have a Tiffany repro setting (Vatche U-113) and I can tell you that once you have on a wedding band with the ring, you can no longer feel the knife edge band on the engagement ring. You absolutely do NOT have to have an knife edge wedding band! In fact, I think that is rare. Most of the time I see a diamond wedding band. I wear the Tiffany Legacy band with mine.

IMG_0787.JPG

Yep, a knife edge paired with a band like this is so pretty and elegant. But if she’s a fan of plain metal bands, a non-knife edge e-ring would give her more options I think.

Re: platinum, the polishing is not the issue IMO. White gold will need to be polished and re-plated too (and the need for re-plating is what irks a lot of people).

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I have the WF knife edge with no modifications and I absolutely love it. It’s super comfortable to me both with a band or without. I had one in platinum and now I have one in yellow gold. I loved both but my taste is now the yellow gold one. 788C5206-FA61-476F-8720-C6D6D12A53BF.jpeg

Edited to add this picture with a non knife edge band. Wearing this with my grandmother’s wedding band. I stack it with all different bands. I actually don’t have a knife edge band, but would like one!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Platinum 100%. Wouldn't even consider wg for an engagement ring. It's worth the extra cost. I had a new diamond set in my setting in 2013 and haven't needed to polish it yet. But I do take care of my rings and never sleep or cook with them on. Polishing isn't a big deal, regardless.

If she was just speaking of a generic tiffany style setting and hasn't actually tried on Tiffany engagement rings, then I agree that she just meant a plain 6 prong setting with plain shank. Any of those Whiteflash options is fine.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would go platinum, especially for a solitaire. It will give a little added heft and feel more substantial. The cost of platinum vs WG isn't that far apart, so you wouldn't really have that much to put toward the stone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her ring size is a 7 - do you think the knife edge would look okay? Actually, I have narrowed it down to three different WhiteFlash settings, listed below - any thoughts or impressions?

Knife Edge Solitaire: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-713.htm

Elegant Solitaire: https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/elegant-solitaire-engagement-ring-3581.htm

Contemporary Solitaire: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ntemporary-solitaire-engagement-ring-1416.htm

If you don't think she'll like the knife edge, it can always be softened. Either the Knife Edge Solitaire or the Elegant Solitaire will be lovely. I don't care for the Contemporary Solitaire... the squared off edges remind me of super cheap rings or a generic solitaire stock setting. Just my opinion though. :)

bps413

Shiny_Rock

IMG_0787.JPG

r 2013-06-22 15.39.54.jpg

What a gorgeous pairing!!

bps413

Shiny_Rock
Platinum 100%. Wouldn't even consider wg for an engagement ring. It's worth the extra cost. I had a new diamond set in my setting in 2013 and haven't needed to polish it yet. But I do take care of my rings and never sleep or cook with them on. Polishing isn't a big deal, regardless.

If she was just speaking of a generic tiffany style setting and hasn't actually tried on Tiffany engagement rings, then I agree that she just meant a plain 6 prong setting with plain shank. Any of those Whiteflash options is fine.

To the best of my knowledge, she has not tried one on so I think you're right...better to play it safe and go with comfort/plain shank. Thanks for your thoughts, and for weighing in on the Platinum WG debate!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Make 100% sure she doesn't want the brand before you proceed with a copy. It wasn't important to me, mine is a BGD version and it was not irritating to my fingers at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results