shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on ~1.7-2.0CT Round Diamonds

MrSparkle

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I've been spending most of the last couple of months trying to find the perfect engagement ring. I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by all of the tradeoffs that can be made, so I like to humbly ask for your opinions. :)

My girlfriend has offered surprisingly few opinions on the subject, except her love of round cut diamonds that have amazing fire to them.

Easy enough: Round with an ideal cut.

And that's when it stops becoming easy. At least, for the unexperienced such as myself...

Size: She seems to want a size large enough to be impressive, but not obnoxious. I settled on the 1.7-2.0 range, although not sure if these are still too big to work from.

Color: One website commented that anything better than an H is wasted on a round stone once its in the setting. Other threads here have expressed some concern about the color that is still evident at that level. I'm curious if anyone has thoughts about I-J diamonds in this size given the vast difference in price. Looking at the inventory on JamesAllen, the colors seem evident side by side, but, again, thats without a setting.

Clarity: VS2 or better.

Price: Just for the diamond, $17.5 - $25k.

Thanks in advance everyone. I can't say enough about how helpful this forum has been.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer G/H SI1 over I/J VS2. But your budget you could get G/H VS2 if you wanted... Totally not true that anything above an H is wasted... H and lower all pretty in their own right, but they are not colorless. Anything above F, maybe, is a lot of money for not much difference in look. F/G is good if you want it to look colorless and not pay too much. There is a vast difference in price after you get to I/J for a reason: the color is visible.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with Julie on what she said on color. That was pretty ridiculous that someone would say colors above H are a waste! I'd beg to differ on that! For my own diamonds, I prefer G-H and VS1-2. That is what I'd suggest you target your search to (G-H VS2).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I love "I" color, mine is a 2.19 "I" color, and it looks white, of course it's not a F/G, but I wanted size. I say if your girl mentioned size and not much else, it must be important to her. I would get the biggest stone I could, by keeping a nice balance of color and clarity, and of course, exceptional cut. None of my friends ever ask what color my stone is, most don't notice color, just size.
I agree with Julie about going for a G/H SI1 over I/J VS2, if you choose color as most important.
Good luck with your search.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would shoot for a well cut,eye clean, SI1-VS2 G/H color GIA/AGS graded stone.

rook02

Rough_Rock
Not an expert but just my opinions...I've done a lot of research over the last couple of months before making my purchase.

Just bought a 1.78ct I VS2, ideal cut. HCA 0.5. It looks amazing! I compared it to I, H, G color of similar size that my jeweler had. It looks more like an H than an I. Color is very subjective, and there is a spectrum when it comes to even I color. You can have a good I color and a bad I color with more tint being close to a J. If looking at I color, I would suggest looking at the diamond or at least getting it evaluated by a gemologist prior to purchase. Or at least make sure they have a good return policy.

VS2 is great. I was initially looking at SI1 and SI2, but went with VS2 because I felt safer. Many people say that SI1 and some SI2 are eye clean, but VS2 is "mind clean." ..meaning you don't have to worry about noticing inclusions, which made me feel a lot better. I can barely see the inclusion with loupes.

When it comes down to it...do your research, go to local jewelers to look at the different colors and clarity to see which one you like the best, and ask questions on this forum. This forum is a great place for the average Joe to get advice and answers to even the simplest questions.

Good luck.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will advise you to stick with GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal cut. The very good cut stones listed above had either too much depth causing the stone to face up small for its weight, and the other one only had "good" for polish and "very good"for symmetry. Very good can be okay for polish, but I would want excellent for symmetry.

vinny809

Rough_Rock
I found these videos and his others very informative. When you see actual diamonds for comparison it gives you a better feel of what you want in a diamond. When I was first searching for a diamond, I wanted a F color, with VS2 or better clarity, and AGS Ideal 0 Hearts and Fire. I wanted such a high color and clarity to have ease in mind that the diamond that I choose. After watching this and other videos comparing color, clarity, cut, etc. and learning more about diamonds, I can safely say I would go down to a eye clean SI1 and H/I color. I can only think of one scenario where a person would be able to distinguish the color of a diamond that is already set. And thats when they blatantly examine up close next to a white background with good lighting and sensitive eyes. If your wife was out jogging in the sun, going grocery shopping, fine dining under dim light, etc. no one is going to see the color, just the sparkle. JMO.

http://youtu.be/s8hNlDgOEcs

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results