shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Thoughts? .80 H VS1 VG vs. .81 I SI1 EX

MStatebulldog

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!,

I've been lurking around the forums for a month or so and greatly appreciate all of the knowledgeable people here. I am considering the following two diamonds for the centerstone of a Tacori 2620 rdmdp e-ring. I would greatly appreciate any advise you wish to offer and am also open to other diamonds you might suggest. I plan to purchase the setting and diamond from the same jeweler. My budget is $4,000 tops for the diamond itself. Thanks,Mitch

Option 1: $3,855 (local jeweler, looked at diamond today)
.80 ct, color-H, clarity-VS1, cut- Very Good, polish &symmetry- Very Good&Very Good, Culet-none,Girdle-STK-THK, Fluorescence- med blue
TS:57%
TD:63.7%
PA: 41.2
CA:35.5
GIA Cert# 1146479100

Option 2: $3,542 (GOG)
.81 ct, color-I, clarity-SI1, cut- excellent, polish & symmetry- Excellent& Excellent, culet-none, Girdle- Medium, Fluorescence- none
TS:56%
TD:60.8%
PA:40.6
CA:34.0
GIA Cert# 6142123817

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I like both of the GOG options.

MStatebulldog

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the replies! :mrgreen:
Julie.. I was a a little concerned about the depth of option 1.. Thank you for reaffirming this, I believe I will take this diamond out of the running. What do you think about the price point of this diamond? Too high?
Christina.. thanks for your input! I am considering both these options.
04diamond03.. thanks for your suggestion but I am adamant about staying under the 4k budget for the diamond.

Anyone else wanna add their 2 cents? I looked at option 1 yesterday and was happy with the clarity but honestly being a novice at this I didn't know if it had good light return, fire, scintillation, etc. The parameters I am looking for are .75 -.90 ct, I or better in color,SI 1 or better in clarity, preferably excellent cut, polish,symmetry. No worse than a very good in cut.

Am I going about this the right way? First time e-ring/ diamond purchaser, and I am starting to get information overload! :shock: lol
Again, thank you all for doing what you do and taking the time to help noobs like myself.

Mitch

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a LOT of wiggle room on the price in this kind of carat size... you could basically spend all of $4000 to get a .85-.9 or you can spend high 2s, low 3s, for .75... I don't know if that makes a difference to you (like a difference between platinum or gold tacori...?)

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
JA offers a 1-5% discount on their diamonds to PS members, and I believe an additional 1.5% wire discount. I would check with them what discount their offering before throwing this one out. It's a lot larger than the others you picked and better cut than at least one of the stones you posted.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
The second one looks like it has potential from the numbers, but it would be nice if you could get some extra info like an Idealscope on it.

The GOG one that came up for me also looks good (of course) and there's plenty of performance info on it. Here's another in that vein, just a hair larger and a tiny bit less cash, with bonus fluorescence, and plenty of performance info as well. It's only very slightly more than your second pick, and is an H VS2 not an I SI1. The fluor brings a little discount on the pricing.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.823-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104063639036#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/0/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to decide the color range you are willing to accept. Some girls care about size most and don't mind lower color and clarity but others prefer colors that won't show a tint and are a little more clean inside. I personally would far rather have an H than a J, but others would care more about the larger size. I like the GOG stone that Julie posted.

MStatebulldog

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the quick replies. I am going to choose between the two diamonds on GOG.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admire your cutting decisiveness. :appl:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
MStatebulldog|1362167929|3393896 said:
Thanks again for the quick replies. I am going to choose between the two diamonds on GOG.

I would put one of those on hold soon b/c the BGD one sold shortly after it got posted here but if either of them fall through, this one is a little larger and right at the top of your budget:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/9708/

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stick to Excellent cut or AGS0 cuts, you will be happy you did when your diamond sparkles more than anyone else's diamond!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both diamonds are beautiful. In this case, I would select the cheaper one. :cheeky: :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1362169945|3393945 said:
MStatebulldog|1362167929|3393896 said:

I would put one of those on hold soon b/c the BGD one sold shortly after it got posted here but if either of them fall through, this one is a little larger and right at the top of your budget:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/9708/
beautiful stone :!:

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Your choice is lovely, but just throwing this out there- have you considered a Solasfera? A comparable Solasfera would actually not be pricier than an H&A and GOG sells those. I got mine from them. Just a thought if you haven't made a purchase yet :))

MStatebulldog

Rough_Rock
Rubyshoes... thanks for the input. I have put a reserve down on the .81 though they did say I could transfer it to another diamond should I change my mind.

Didn't really consider a solasfera because I thought it would be out of my price range. What is the difference between a solasfera and hearts and arrows?

Mitch

MStatebulldog

Rough_Rock
Looked up solasfera info.. seems like it has more facets to max out light performance. Though it seems as if a lot of posters felt that smaller solasfera diamonds (under a carat) seemed too busy with a lot more smaller reflections. Seems like i would fall into this category.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I have a .83 Solasfera. I ended up picking it as I preferred it to a more regular H&A stone. It doesn't look much busier to my eyes (and I wear it with a 5 stone H&A band) but it is way more fiery than my regular H&A diamonds. I literally cannot take a single photo without tons of fire :)) If you have decided to go with H&A, that's cool, they're great diamonds but I just thought I'd plant the Solasfera seed. 8-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results