shape
carat
color
clarity

Your suggestions for a bit of color

kingsgrove

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I was hoping the collective knowledge on pricescope could possibly help give me a few ideas.
I acquired a "quirky" little OEC diamond not long ago for a reasonable price. Since then I've been trying to figure out what to do with it. The stone is very small, only 0.30 carat. And the cut isn't perfectly round, about 4-4.2mm. It is however extremely bright and lively and deserves to be on display.

What I'm hoping to get is some suggestions on a setting and what colored stones I could put with it.
I was tossing up between adding some other small white OEC's to a setting, some colored stones, or both. It will be a gift for my girlfriend who often likes quite girly delicate or "dainty" designs/styles. But I'd also consider something with an estate or antique feel to it. My first thought was something like a flower ring with the white OEC in the center and colored stone surrounding, but haven't been able to find much inspiration yet.
Possibly surround it with yellow or light blue sapphires? Or integrate it with a more geometric estate ring style? Not really sure at the moment, but very willing to take on board some suggestions. I do think some lively colored stones would work lovely with it.
One last constraint however. Due to another large ring purchase recently, this little project has to fit within a relatively low budget. I'm not against adapting second hand settings, stones etc.

Thanks for the help! :D

Below is a quick photo of the stone I took with my phone. I've just learnt how hard it is to capture images of lively stones!

_1208.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not get a secondhand true antique setting for it? Those types of settings are generally inexpensive, has matching single cut melees that sparkle but will not overpower the center diamond, and best of all, are suited to enlarge a smaller center diamond without looking out of proportion.

Yeah, the other CSers are going to stone me for trying to sway the OP away from coloured stones. :errrr:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
:D I love old stones :D

I really like to see old stones in old setting (either true antiques or reproductions)

I found these three settings that would fit your stone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDWARDIAN-A...854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d354a7dd6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VIN...15121514?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item23233e016a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-DECO-VI...26090311?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item5d354b5e47

Your jeweler will be able to source the smaller melee stones easier than you can probably, so it's up to you to decide the color. I would choose well saturated colors. Stones like amethyst, or rubellite or blue spinel would look really nice IMO.

kingsgrove

Rough_Rock
HotPozzum|1349673224|3281339 said:
Thanks for the pic. Yeah, that's quite nice actually. I'm leaning towards a flower cluster ring like that I think. However I think a more rounded look (in the "petal" surrounding stones) might suit my uses better.
Can anyone suggest some settings for a ring like this? Anywhere online that sell them for a decent price? I haven't had much luck yet. 

Chrono|1349694062|3281391 said:
Why not get a secondhand true antique setting for it?  Those types of settings are generally inexpensive, has matching single cut melees that sparkle but will not overpower the center diamond, and best of all, are suited to enlarge a smaller center diamond without looking out of proportion.

Yeah, the other CSers are going to stone me for trying to sway the OP away from coloured stones.  :errrr:
Thanks Chrono. Yeah, I'm definitely open to a secondhand antique setting. I was even wondering about the possibility of coloured melee stones. Might put me over budget if they're not tiny though. Do you know of any setting that may be suitable? 

davi_el_mejor|1349694665|3281398 said:
:D I love old stones :D

I really like to see old stones in old setting (either true antiques or reproductions)

I found these three settings that would fit your stone 

*ebay links

Your jeweler will be able to source the smaller melee stones easier than you can probably, so it's up to you to decide the color. I would choose well saturated colors. Stones like amethyst, or rubellite or blue spinel would look really nice IMO.
Thanks for the links!
I quite like them all actually. However not sure if they'd be suitable. They're just a little too "chunky" in proportions if that makes any sense? I'll check out that seller to see what other items might be a available. 
I like your idea of blue spinel in particular too. Should balance the diamond nicely. 

If anyone else has suggestions in regards to settings or good setting sellers (old or new) please let me know. Thanks :D

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I recently acquired a .35 ct. OEC diamond and it's with Daniel M. right now being set into a pendant. It's being set atop a 3.05 ct. Indicolite Tormaline. A .30 ct. might be a little on the small side for a center stone in a ring, but that depends on the size of your girlfriends finger and how dainty she likes her jewelery.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anon,
I'm afraid an FCD halo is likely to be out of the OP's budget as stated in his first post. I saw a very pretty antique ring on Pearlman's for only $400 but it fits a 6 mm stone. :(sad

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1349825005|3282451 said:
Anon,
I'm afraid an FCD halo is likely to be out of the OP's budget as stated in his first post. I saw a very pretty antique ring on Pearlman's for only $400 but it fits a 6 mm stone. :(sad

Chrono you're right. I kinda got excited when I read the OP was possibly looking for a flower motif and may have jumped the gun. I just love that style :love: :love:

kingsgrove I apologize.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe one of the Etsy vendors could do something like this? I could see tiny round peridot in the leaves or perhaps replacing the metal leaf with 6 little marquise shaped peridot? They could be either bezel or claw set. Naturally with your diamond in the middle. http://www.angara.com/p/oval-pink-sapphire-and-round-diamond-vintage-ring-sr0126ps.html but I don't know if they would set your diamond and the $900 may still be too much for a conservative budget.

Alternatively, what about something like this? It is an actual "build your own" ring at http://www.jewlr.com.au/products/JWL0005-twin-leaf-ring you can choose from silver through various white and yellow golds. The one below in silver with diamond is $238. Again you could contact them and ask if they would set your diamond.

An extra one just to show some peridot leaves

angara-6side-leaves.jpg

jwl0005-twin-leaf-ring.jpg

peridot_leaves.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I was tossing up between adding some other small white OEC's to a setting, some colored stones, or both. It will be a gift for my girlfriend who often likes quite girly delicate or "dainty" designs/styles. But I'd also consider something with an estate or antique feel to it. My first thought was something like a flower ring with the white OEC in the center and colored stone surrounding, but haven't been able to find much inspiration yet.
Possibly surround it with yellow or light blue sapphires? Or integrate it with a more geometric estate ring style? Not really sure at the moment, but very willing to take on board some suggestions. I do think some lively colored stones would work lovely with it.
One last constraint however. Due to another large ring purchase recently, this little project has to fit within a relatively low budget.
Perhaps it would be easier for us to help you if you could establish a ballpark budget - under $500? Under $1k? Under $2k? I'm also guessing that you want this to look more like a right hand ring than an engagement ring but I could be wrong (often am :bigsmile: )

The reason for asking is that once you start adding OECs and/or sapphires the price goes up exponentially.

kingsgrove

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. So sorry for the slow reply. I haven't had a chance to write anything until now.
Thank you for the help and taking the time to make those suggestions Starzin and Anon.
In regards to budget, that's a good question. Ideally I'd like to find something under $400, which means either a good deal on a vintage piece of something new made from a cheaper material.
In regards to designs, I'm quite conflicted. I'm looking for something that is slightly on the verge of a costume jewellery - a little bit fun and fancy. But then I don't want it too overpowering, and would like it to remain a little "delicate".

I'm pretty lost, and to be honest am dictated largely by whatever I can snatch up for a good deal. So below I've posted some images of stones I'm come across that I quite like and I think could work using my current diamond and some addition of colored stones.
If anyone comes across anything they think may be suitable, please let me know!

An "illusion" setting I saw posted on these forums that could be interesting to modify

I saw this in a jewellery store. It's sterling silver costume ring. I quite like the design but think it could be a little overpowering. Would look nice modified with some colored stones though (sorry for the bad photo)

Then there's this setting from PS member Mico which is lovely. I think something similar with some colored stones would work also.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-58ct-oec-in-a-victorian-rose-cut-diamond-halo.180818/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-58ct-oec-in-a-victorian-rose-cut-diamond-halo.180818/[/URL]

Thanks again for all the help :)

ht2299_multi.jpg

cj.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, I would scour Diamond Bistro for secondhand and vintage settings. Sometimes eBay has good deal on those too.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something you need to take into consideration is the overal size of the look you want. I'll give you an example of this ..... I have an OMC diamond set in an illusion setting. I don't wear it because on my size 6 fingers it looks too small. However I have a flower shape ring (in fact I have a number of them!) with a similar size centre stone but the overall look has a much larger spread and I think suits my hand much better. So before you pull the trigger on a setting consider if you want finger coverage or not. The ring you posted (the antique one with tiny scalloped edges) won't give much coverage. The one with the diamond pears as petals would (and is absolutely gorgeous but unless you use a different gemstone probably not affordable within the $400 range).

Here are some photos so you can see what I mean. Don't forget the centre stone is the same size!

LOGR on Ebay (or Lanbo) I can't remember which have a flower design - not sure of the price but worth having a look.

diamond_omc_.jpg

diamond_red_pink_on_hand.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Thinking outside the box again...what about using this for an inspiration You could approach one of the etsy vendors (DanielM?) to see if they could cut a simple, scalloped flower shape - can be silver/argentium to keep the cost down - then set melee of your colour choice around the "petals" with the diamond in the middle. The stones could be either gypsy set or prong set. It doesn't have to be flat either - they can dome the basic flower shape quite easily.
https://secure.annesportun.com/shopping.jsp?styleCode=R509GD37&catalogueStyleName=R509GD37

anne-sportun-wg-inspiration.png

anne-sportun-yg-sapphire.png

kingsgrove

Rough_Rock
Wow. Thank you so much for all the suggestions!
I know have a lot to think about. I'm starting to go through all the links and suggestions now. Will update when I've narrowed things down a bit. Thanks again :D

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I've posted a picture of a simple flower style that I believe could be made fairly inexpensively. You would need to decide what colour stones you want and I think you mentioned sapphires. I have no idea how much sapphire melee might be so perhaps others could chip in. Unfortunately, I've no idea who made these because it was a "cloaked" link that clicked through to a totally non-relevant site :angryfire: Note the prong set middle and bezeled outers. The following one shows how the shape can be changed with pear outers (prong set) - or indeed the marquise that I posted above. The third one shows bezeled pear outers.

This Google search threw up an amazing assortment of flower rings so I suggest you look through, pick two or three favourites and post the pictures here. We should then be able to offer suggestions as to who you might approach to make your favourite.
https://www.google.com.au/search?um...6.2j5j4j2j1j8-1.15.0...0.0...1c.1.mhwRZ9zV8EM

I did try other gems/colours in the search but amethyst seemed to throw up the best assortment for some reason.

amethyst-daisy-ring.png

bezeled-daisy_ring.jpg

bezel-daisy-cluster-ring.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results