shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinions please. Previous diamond fell through!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Wazzu Cody

Rough_Rock
Well I was pretty dissapointed last week when I received my 1.2 carat SI1 diamond graded by GIA and I could see the inclusion with my naked eye. I think that is why it was priced so low. Anyway, I sent it back and have found another stone but am now getting weary purchasing without seeing the diamond first even with a GIA certificate.

This is the stone that I am thinking about purchasing tomorrow and I need your opinions:

Round Brilliant
1.20 carat
H
SI1
measurements 6.82-6.85x4.19mm
depth 61.3%
table 58%
girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet none
polish VG
symmetry VG
flourescence none
crown 16.4%
pavillion 42.4%
price=$5,114

The certificate shows very few inclusions but it does show an inclusion (looks like a small crystal) on the left side of the table next to the first facet.

OPINIONS PLEASE! I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD BALANCE OF SIZE AND CLARITY BUT I WANT A VERY GOOD CUT AND I THINK THAT THIS DIAMOND IS AN IDEAL CUT.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
The stone isn't ideal, at least not as defined by AGS, because the table is too large.

In order to avoid repeating your last experience, ask the seller if the stone is eye clean...I would think that's the least they can do for you.

You've also hit on an important fact of diamond buying...if it seems inexpensive, there is always a reason...there ain't no free lunch...in fact, if you spend all you time and effort in trying to get the cheapest stone possible, someone will probably eat your lunch!

Be careful!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about the first stone. SI2 stones can definitely have eye-visible inclusions..SI1 is definitely a safer bet if you are on a budget.

Anyhow--the stone you have posted is not an 'ideal' dimensioned stone, and it scores a 2.2 on the HCA with VG's across the board. Anything under 2.0 on the HCA is excellent. This does not mean that your stone will not perform great...it may be very beautiful. But if you are going to buy site unseen and are looking for the best of the 4c's in one package...here are two more stones to consider. I ran a quick Pricescope search and found the following stones at Abazias.Com. They are both Hearts and Arrows AGS000 stones, so you have a better chance of an 'ideal' stone and you have the great H&A pattern showcasing great symmetry.

Take a look at them and if you are interested, have Abazias send you copies of the certifications, also get the crown and pav angles to run them through the HCA. Also get pictures of the H&A images through the H&A viewer. Confirm that both of these are EYE CLEAN SI1's.

1)
1.2 H SI1
54% Table
61.2% Depth
GIA certification
EX, EX Polish and Symmetry
Fluor: None
Culet: None
Price: $5426 (this is a pricescope price so be sure to say you saw the stone on here to get the price)

2)
1.21 H SI1
56% Table
61.4% Depth
GIA Certification
EX, EX Polish and Symmetry
Fluor: Med Blue
Culet: None
Price: $5217

Note on stone #2: The reason the price is less is most likely the Medium Blue Fluorescence. I personally would not worry about this as it is really only as you get into the more Strong Fluorescence category that you will see any sort of change in your stone. The Med blue fluor MAY make the H color appear slightly whiter, but I wouldn't estimate any sort of negative effect on the stone from the MB. Would also ask the vendor about this as well though--if they have the stone. Stone #2 could be a great way to get a stone in your price range that is ideal H&A with all EX's because of the discount for the MB.

Both stones look very promising from the #'s....see if you can get more info and then you will have three stones to consider...2 of which are closer to 'ideal' than your posted choice. In the end it is your preference and comfortability level with the #'s that will help you with the decision.

Good luck!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results