shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinions on two new stone?

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
A little change up. I really think I want this stone in a pendant to save my sapphire for a ring. So I can go with some softer stones. I've always admired nice peridots and I found this Asscher here.

Peridot
Pakistan
weight: 1.75ct
clarity: EC1
width: 6.75mm
treat.: N
length: 6.77mm
design: Asscher-4 (pt)
price: $260

peridot1_sm.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Now here's a different cut. I've always liked the idea of a trillion set in a bezel pendant. I don't this is a tsavorite but a Merelani. More expensive than the peridot or the previous tsavorite but its a larger stone than the previous tsavorite.

Cut/Shape: Trillion Radiant Cut
Weight: 1.45ct
Measurements: 7.5mm
Clarity: VS
Origin:Tanzania
Enhancements: N
Price: $ 435.00
Description: Brilliant stone, apple green.

merelani.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The peridot looks like the usual yellowish green peridot with an olive undertone. The cutting looks great though. The mint garnet is well priced too. My guess is that it has a slight yellow undertone. Given a choice, my preference is the garnet because it should sparkle better and I don't like olive stones. With a pre-loved stone, all sales are final so you have to decide very carefully.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1348105173|3271346 said:
The peridot looks like the usual yellowish green peridot with an olive undertone. The cutting looks great though. The mint garnet is well priced too. My guess is that it has a slight yellow undertone. Given a choice, my preference is the garnet because it should sparkle better and I don't like olive stones. With a pre-loved stone, all sales are final so you have to decide very carefully.

Agree with everything ('cept not like olive stones ;-) )

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies. It's reassuring the cuts look good. The cut is what I'm least confident at being able to judge. I'm not a big fan of olive green on principle because it often looks murky but this peridot looks so clean and bright that it removes my one pet peeve with olive green.

Chrono, what is the reason that you say the trillion will sparkle more? Is it just the fact that brilliants sparkle more than step cuts or is it something else?

The trillion has a 7 day return so I'll take a look at it. I made an enquiry about the peridot. Hopefully I will hear soon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason is two-fold:
1. Garnets have higher RI than peridots
2. Brilliant cuts sparkle more than step cuts.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both are lovely stones, but the merelani garnet appeals to me more - both colouring and shape. That's what I'd pick!

What is your skin tone like? Would the yellow in the peridot work with or against you, if on a pendant? The bluer undertones of the garnet - would that be better at your neck?

What metal are you setting it in and any other accent stones?? That would influence which CS would be best, if it were me chosing between the two.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1348151845|3271590 said:
The reason is two-fold:
1. Garnets have higher RI than peridots
2. Brilliant cuts sparkle more than step cuts.

Thanks Chrono. I didn't know about the higher RI of garnets. That's something to consider. I did know about brilliants being more - well, brilliant - but that doesn't concern me as much. I actually find step cuts attractive in their own right regardless of the fact they're less sparkly than brilliant cuts.

Enerchi|1348152241|3271596 said:
Both are lovely stones, but the merelani garnet appeals to me more - both colouring and shape. That's what I'd pick!

What is your skin tone like? Would the yellow in the peridot work with or against you, if on a pendant? The bluer undertones of the garnet - would that be better at your neck?

What metal are you setting it in and any other accent stones?? That would influence which CS would be best, if it were me chosing between the two.

Good questions, Enerchi. If I answered them honestly they'd lead me to the garnet but I have a weakness for Asschers and the peridot.

My coloring is Summer-Winter so I have absolutely NO warm tones in my skin; that suggests white metal. However, I really like yellow gold with colored stones especially with peridots but even with this garnet because it doesn't seem overly blue-toned. I would want to set the garnet in a bezel setting similar to the ones in the Mauboussin Dream & Love collection (I've attached a photo of their pendant to give you an idea). I don't know about the peridot yet but I'm not thinking about accent stones at this point. I'd like to keep the design simple with just the center stone and the metal.

dnlpendant.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both stones look, to me, like they will do better in yellow over white gold.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
My thoughts exactly Chrono!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And yellow gold doesn't look good on you? :(sad

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
No, but its my favorite metal. What can I say? :oops:

ETA, I'll have to see the stones first though before deciding.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
A little update.

Both vendors offer a 10 day return period. So I ordered the trillion and I'm in correspondance to get the asscher. Will post pictures when I get them!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if its possible, but to me, they are very different stones - shape/cut-wise and in terms of color. Is there any way you could consider keeping them both?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
Are you enabling her? :devil: I think although the two are very different, sometimes seeing them in person can help seal the decision.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Heeheehee, I don't mind minousbijoux! I do have to keep in mind that this is not my 'big' project - that's the sapphire.

I'm still relatively new at this so I do find it IS easier if I can see the actual stones in my hand. For one, the stones look so much smaller in person! LOL! That was an adjustment.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The garnet is beautiful...

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Arkteia, I think so too.

Well the garnet has just entered the bowels of the USPS. Here's hoping it gets out safely on the other side at my house so I have more pictures to show you. I'm still figuring out how to use Paypal to get the peridot to me. Haven't used it in awhile.

BTW, John from Gemrite processed my return really quickly. He was a pleasure to deal with.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Well when it rains, it pours! I'm so excited; I may have a gorgeous Asscher sapphire to show you all shortly. This is my big stone purchase!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like trillions, I have a sapphire trillion in a ring. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1348409635|3273161 said:
I actually like trillions, I have a sapphire trillion in a ring. :)

Ditto, and I don't mind getting another in a ring again.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Cool! Now both stones are ordered. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have lots of pictures to share.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
OK, the Merelani garnet is in! Here's some photos. This was the best I could focus them on my iPad. The stone is nice and bright all around. I can't tell if there's a window in the handshot but it seemed to close up against the dark and white backgrounds.

What do you all think?

merelani_handshot.jpg

merelani_2.jpg

merelani_3.jpg

merelani_5.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, it looks less saturated and lighter than the vendor pic...I'm wondering why.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm I agree - a lot less colour saturation in the trillion than the vendor pics... :confused:

Love the look of the Peridot though! :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The peridot has not arrived?

I have to admit the garnet did not live up to expectations when compared to the vendor's photograph. Is that true to what you see or is it that you were unable to capture the colour accurately on your iPad?

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I put it on my hand again and there is definitely a window in the center of the diamond. I can see my skin color through it. Additionally I tried the diamond trick and turned the stone upside down to see the color and its not very saturated. I was dazzled by the brilliance of the cut.

Hmmm, so this may not be a keeper. Because of a mixup at PayPal, I won't get the peridot until this weekend probably. I sent an ex heck rather than an express payment and the vendor has to wait for the check to clear.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Since I couldn't sleep I decided to take more pictures. There are definitely some views - against a white background that show color better but others don't. There does seem to be a window in the middle of the stone which takes away from the saturation against a dark background.

Technically these are not better pictures (a little fuzzy) but they show the saturation and window better. Outside the fuzziness, these pictures are close to what I see.

Ignore the mess in my house. I can't crop these photos without degrading their quality significantly.

merelani6.jpg

merelani_7.jpg

merelani_8.jpg

merelani_9.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you are seeing a true window but likely a tilt window. It seems pretty small and something I'm likely to let pass but the saturation is just too light. Do you feel the same way? I'd rather return the stone and keep looking.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, I see what you're saying about the window Chrono.

You may be right about the saturation. I was totally blown away by the cut.

I finally figured out how to focus my ipad camera (you had told me how but I misunderstood) the shots in focus really show the brilliance of the cut. Do they change your mind about the stone or does it still look unsaturated. I especially like the brilliance of the stone in the shot of it on my hand but the color saturation doesn't look as strong.

_1029.jpg

_1030.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results