shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinions on these two diamonds, please (pictures)

Which diamond do you prefer?

• 1.93 I

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • 1.80 H

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Hello All,
I am down to two diamonds. I'm only allowed four pictures per post so here are the details with pictures to follow. We will be setting this into the Vatche U113

To note, both stones are almost identical in the following specs:
diameter
GIA 3x
confirmed eye clean by IDJ with exception to the 1.8 which he says I may be able to see the inclusion when tilting the stone at a certain angle which I'm fairly sure I'm ok with.

Disclaimer: he has sent me pictures using a H&A viewer, however was very clear in telling me these are not H&A diamonds. :)

Diamond 1:
1.80ct H-SI2
HCA: 1.7
AGA: 2A
Cost: 400 under budget

Diamond 2:
1.93ct I-SI2
HCA: 1.5
AGA: 1A
Cost: 500 over budget

Also, I'm considering asking his input on a G colored stone and if his thoughts on that stone. I unfortunately was showed an GIA I colored stone next to a GIA D colored stone by a vendor in boston and I can still remember the huge color gap (though I'm fairly confident I didn't note any color when initially presented to the I initially).

On to the pictures:

2126952003 arrows.jpg

2126952003 hearts.jpg

2126952003 zoom.jpg

2126952003 idealscope.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Your opinions on these two diamonds please (pictures)

2126952003 ASET.jpg

2145441239 arrows.jpg

2145441239 hearts.jpg

2145441239 ZOOM.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Your opinions on these two diamonds please (pictures)

2145441239 idealscope.jpg

2145441239 ASET.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the I 1.9 better. It looks brighter, and looks like it would be visually bigger even at the same measurements (in other words the way it returns light looks like it would make it look bigger even if the 1.8 had the exact same spread).

Being able to see the difference between a D color and an I color diamond just means you aren't blind. Whether you are BOTHERED by the difference is purely a mental issue of preference. You will be wearing this on your hand, alone without another stone next to it. And CERTAINLY not a D. I can see a TRUE visual difference between my F and all the D's I've ever seen in person while wearing my D. Even when they aren't side by side to my stone... I actually look at them and say "that's whiter than my F" and when I ask the color of stones that I have that reaction to they are always D's . Seriously. Compare a G to an I and see if you are bothered then. That's a more reasonable comparison to me.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1336362959|3189037 said:
I like the I 1.9 better. It looks brighter, and looks like it would be visually bigger even at the same measurements (in other words the way it returns light looks like it would make it look bigger even if the 1.8 had the exact same spread).

Being able to see the difference between a D color and an I color diamond just means you aren't blind. Whether you are BOTHERED by the difference is purely a mental issue of preference. You will be wearing this on your hand, alone without another stone next to it. And CERTAINLY not a D. That's a more reasonable comparison to me. I can see a TRUE visual difference between my F and all the D's I've ever seen in person. Seriously. Compare a G to an I and see if you are bothered then.

Thanks so much for the feed back. The vendor in boston ruined me ;-). I agree, I'm drifting towards the I for sure, it's just 500 over budget and I don't want to push FF too much over (we're already over our initial budget.) I doubt I'll be wearing anything next to it other than a wedding band which I can get in similar colors and I know RB's face up white so that shouldn't be an issue. I've even looked at the DB settings in hopes of finding one that can knock off some more cost from the setting to stay in budget.

All I'm certain of is being bothered by a dark inclusion, which I know these stones don't have.
As always, thanks for your input gypsy. I may come stalk you later when looking for wedding bands and/stackers :Up_to_something: :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted I. The H's inclusion bothers me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1336363644|3189042 said:
Gypsy|1336362959|3189037 said:

Being able to see the difference between a D color and an I color diamond just means you aren't blind. Whether you are BOTHERED by the difference is purely a mental issue of preference. You will be wearing this on your hand, alone without another stone next to it. And CERTAINLY not a D. That's a more reasonable comparison to me. I can see a TRUE visual difference between my F and all the D's I've ever seen in person. Seriously. Compare a G to an I and see if you are bothered then.

Thanks so much for the feed back. The vendor ruined me ;-). I agree, I'm drifting towards the I for sure, it's just 500 over budget and I don't want to push FF too much over (we're already over our initial budget.) I doubt I'll be wearing anything next to it other than a wedding band which I can get in similar colors and I know RB's face up white so that shouldn't be an issue. I've even looked at the DB settings in hopes of finding one that can knock off some more cost from the setting to stay in budget.

All I'm certain of is being bothered by a dark inclusion, which I know these stones don't have.
As always, thanks for your input gypsy. I may come stalk you later when looking for wedding bands and/stackers :Up_to_something: :naughty:

SHOOT I missed the fact that this is overbudget. I hate it when I pick the over budget choice. Still (yes, this is me rationalizing) it is only 500.

I've been told by two different gemologists that my stone is a "high" F, and I SWEAR to you I can spot a D's (of any shape) when I am wearing it exactly because they are NOTICEABLY whiter. That vendor wasn't playing fair and was obviously TRYING to either up sell you, or scare you, or something.

My eyes are pretty good with color, admittedly. But, I am not color sensitive because while I can usually SPOT the color it doesn't bother me until it gets to M.

I spent an afternoon at BGD once and Brian pulled out a bunch of stones and played the 'guess my color' game' with them. And yes, when I compared them unset and side by side (or one after another) from the side or from the bottom I could guess the color of the stone. But at one point I had five stones on my hand, face up and the D was right next to a J and I said to Brian-- I know that's the D but MAN LOOKIT how well that J is holding it's own with all the others!!! And the reason I said that was because I had an G and a H on there next to that D too and they ALL showed a marked contrast to the D, but compared to one another-- not that much at all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1336364380|3189050 said:

Same here. I don't think I could handle the inclusions on the H. But whether this is a high or low I would influence my decision. It would be even better if it has medium to strong blue fluorescence, but since you didn't mention that, I am guessing it doesn't.

I think you need to see the diamond before having it set.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1336365528|3189060 said:

Same here. I don't think I could handle the inclusions on the H. But whether this is a high or low I would influence my decision. It would be even better if it has medium to strong blue fluorescence, but since you didn't mention that, I am guessing it doesn't.

Yes, I was thinking of just buying the I and having him mail it to me. It just kills me as I'm roughly 2.5 - 3 hours from NYC and can't get there to see them in person (IDJ is closed on weekends.) I believe he told me it was a high I. Also, I think you're all right, the H's inclusion may bother me as well...

Madelise (<3) did find me this: http://diamondbistro.com/category/201/Bands/listings/28641/Rediuced-Three-Row-Pave-Mounting.html
which would be AMAZING as it would put us back on budget (even thought I'm a 6 prong fan), however the seller told me it probably would only go up to a 7.8-7.9mm stone and these are both roughly 8x8 (give or take a few .01mms).

Also, neither of these have flour, though I would love if they did :)

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the I color 1.93. The inclusion in the H seems pretty noticeable. And with the 1.93, you are a breath away from being 2 carats. I have an I, and it looks pretty darn white to me. I think you will love the 1.93. Good luck with your search. I can't wait to see what you choose.

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Nic, I like the I better. It looks "cleaner" to my eye and I personally don't find there is a difference between most H and I stones. I think you might really see if with a D, like Gypsy, or possibly a F. Obviously some Is face up whiter than others. Plus, it won't be right next to another large stone so I think you will be ok. My pear was an I and it never even looked warm to me.

I am not sure how much over the "initial" budget you are, but to me $500 is not a huge difference. I would not exactly compare the two stones as apples and apples, because even if the second one is an I, it is also bigger, so you could argue you are getting "more for your money" :naughty: !

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all for the feedback :). I think I will ask him oooooooooone more analysis by him between the two, and do a quick search for G's that are in our budget (and I's with flour) and see how much we'd sacrifice on diameter and cost and go from there. I think I'm likely going to get the I.

Do you think I should have him mail it to me before setting, or just get it done - I just know when diamond shopping in boston I saw inclusions that the vendor "didn't" (but who knows if that's true). I don't want to over analyse - sometimes ignorance is bliss.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
nicstx|1336362076|3189028 said:
Disclaimer: he has sent me pictures using a H&A viewer, however was very clear in telling me these are not H&A diamonds. :)

A side comment ~ Major compliments to your jeweler for having these tools and providing the reflector images.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
John Pollard|1336406868|3189285 said:
nicstx|1336362076|3189028 said:

A side comment ~ Major compliments to your jeweler for having these tools and providing the reflector images.

I agree - he's been great :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nicstx|1336365841|3189063 said:
diamondseeker2006|1336365528|3189060 said:

Yes, I was thinking of just buying the I and having him mail it to me. It just kills me as I'm roughly 2.5 - 3 hours from NYC and can't get there to see them in person (IDJ is closed on weekends.) I believe he told me it was a high I. Also, I think you're all right, the H's inclusion may bother me as well...

Madelise (<3) did find me this: http://diamondbistro.com/category/201/Bands/listings/28641/Rediuced-Three-Row-Pave-Mounting.html
which would be AMAZING as it would put us back on budget (even thought I'm a 6 prong fan), however the seller told me it probably would only go up to a 7.8-7.9mm stone and these are both roughly 8x8 (give or take a few .01mms).

Also, neither of these have flour, though I would love if they did :)

That setting originally held a 7.5-7.6mm stone, so I wouldn't consider even trying more than 7.7. I think you'll be happier in the long run with the Vatche...no tiny stones to lose! Get a diamond wedding band instead!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
:) Great plan! After the millions (yes millions) of settings I looked it, it's amazing how I picked one of the most basic. (he likes the triple pave which was the appeal of that setting).

I am going to try to make it to NYC tomorrow before IDJ closes - Yekutiel has promised to show me some other settings that may bring us back to budget. This will also make me feel better about the size of ring I chose and the diamond.

As for the diamond, the "I";s have it! ha! I giggle every time I think of that :). He knows about my color concern and is going to show me other colors tomorrow to put me at ease. I am most likely going to get that one :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That inclusion in the 1.8 is too big. I would definitely go with the 1.9.

06pvc

Shiny_Rock
I am going to try to make it to NYC tomorrow before IDJ closes - Yekutiel has promised to show me some other settings that may bring us back to budget. This will also make me feel better about the size of ring I chose and the diamond.

IDJ is a master of well priced settings. One of my big draws to them was that while they could offer diamonds maybe ~3-5% less than competitors, their settings where closer to 50% less than competitors.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results