shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion, Your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alex

Rough_Rock
I've learned a lot these past few weeks about diamonds from this and other forums. I'm considering the following diamond. What is your opinion. How would this score on the
HCA? Any concerns?1.80 ct G VS2
7.78-7.86 x 4.91
T 55
C 34.6 CD 15.5
P 41.4 PD 43.7
cut none
gird thin - sl.thick, faceted
total depth 62.7
Has an inclusion (small dark line) under center of table, can be seen at 10x: is that a concern?
PRICE - 15,800.00Thanks for your feedback!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Alex it is not hard to use the cut adviser yourself, it is on this website.
Many people say an H-I-J when a great cut looks whiter than a f-g in average cut quality.
About 50% of people i test can pick H from D when they are side by side.
Garry

alex

Rough_Rock
Leonidt, really appreciate your help!
I know I'm going to learn something here, which I appreciate. Please hang in there with me. Why, if all the dimensions are within ideal proportions (AGS000)does the HCA end up so average? (EDIT) I just realized that I misstated the size of the diamond. It is 1.82, not 1.80. Does that affect the outcome of the HCA?Now here's a diamond that was presented to me by a very reputable diamond person, and, although the color is H, the cut was presented as outstanding. How does this diamond rate on the HCA, and should the color play a big factor?1.71 H VS1
7.77-7.80 x 4.74
T 55.8
C 34.2 15.2
P 40.8 42.7
gird 1.3 med
cut none
total depth 60.8
flor none
polish exc
sym excMany thanks.

alex

Rough_Rock
I'm disappointed in the first HCA because we liked the size and the diamond looked pretty good to the eye. The second stone is smaller, though it did look great, but the H scared me a little.
Question:
You listed the fire rating, etc. for the first diamond. Could you show me the same stats for the 1.70. (edit) I got them myself thanks to your link. What does spread mean?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Alex,Were you able to see these diamonds under different lightening conditions or only jewelry store light? The reason I ask is that in the jewelry store everything looks shiny. The difference between ordinary and well-cut stones should be more visible when the light isn't so bright.Second stone has ex-ex-ex-vg scores.Spread is the diamond diameter to its weight ratio. Please see our tutorial: www.pricescope.com/tutor_spread.asp .

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Alex,Please look at the part of the tutorial devoted to AGS-ideal cut grade: www.pricescope.com/tutor_agsideal.asp . You can find more info on the latest cut studies at www.cutstudy.com/cut and www.diamond-cut.com.au .Basically AGS0 is quite broad especially in the deep side. Moreover, based on the pavilion angle (more accurate than %) the stone is outside the AGS0 grade at all. If you would look at AGA grading system the pavilion depth 43.7% belongs to AGA 2A grade – fine international (not ideal).The proportions of the second diamond look much better. Pavilion depth is close to Tolkowsky and the total depth is very good.HCA total score for these proportions is 1.3 - Excellent that along with excellent symmetry and polish promises a great diamond. Although I can guess your jeweler will ask a premium for that...As for the H color: there is nothing wrong with it. It's very much matter of personal taste. You might want to ask your jeweler to show you diamonds of different colors so you'd be able to decide what is the lowest color you can bare.The same applies to all other diamond grades including cut. Have a look on different diamonds and see which one is more appealing to you.Hope it helps
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Alex,This stone has quite deep pavilion.Here is HCA result:
Brilliance Good
Fire Fair
Scintillation Fair
Spread Very Good
Total 5.9 - Good - Only if price is your main criteria As for the inclusion, it should be checked by the professional whether VS2 is the right clarity grade.I guess this is the stone from a local store because in the Internet you could find close one for about $3k less.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results