shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Opinion - Which type of ring should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
I''m in need of some opinions. I am going to have a ring custom made and I am trying to decide between different settings. The center stone with be a 2ct RB. The three options are:

1. Three stone Diamond and Sapphire
2. Solitare with Pave details
3. Custom design my own antique-style setting with jeweller.

I am having a hard time deciding between # 1 and 2. I feel that a three-stone is classic and I will have it forever, but the Pave is a beautiful, popular option, and I am a very style-concious (with classic tates) girl.

Help me decide - here are pictures of what I am thinking. The first is of the three stone, and the last two are of the pave.

tiffany3s.jpg

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
Ginger''s Pave:

gingerpave.jpg

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
Another pave inspiration:

AR90284659.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Piglet (love your nic)
5.gif

First, a question. Have you tried on settings similar to these? Just wondering if you know you "love" all three of the types. If not, that could help your selection.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 12:12:36 PM
Author: Ellen
Hi Piglet (love your nic)
5.gif

First, a question. Have you tried on settings similar to these? Just wondering if you know you ''love'' all three of the types. If not, that could help your selection.
Me too!

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ellen,

Yes, I have tried on similar settings. What makes my heart sing are original antiques, but SO doesn''t want to go that route - instead buy a new diamond - and I am worried about having a replica made and it not turning out like I want it. I''m worried that it won''t look like an original antique.

I was thinking the three stone or pave was a safer way to go. I do like both!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I am going through the same thing as you. I have a 2 ct RB in a solitaire setting, but I have been undecided for over a year if I want to turn it into a 3-stone, add baguettes, or a pave setting. Hopefully one of these days I''ll decide :)

I think that the 3-stone with the sapphires is beautiful, and the most classic. Check out SanDiegoLady''s beautiful ring. I have been really loving pave since I found PS, but I really loved trellis styles 10 years ago, and now I don''t love them as much. I think that sometimes styles go in cycles, and I wonder if I would get tired of the pave in a couple of years, as much as I love it now.

That''s why I''m thinking either keeping a solitaire, adding baguette sidestones, or a 3-stone - those styles have been around forever, and they always look gorgeous and timeless - good luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 12:16:27 PM
Author: Piglet9j7
Hi Ellen,

Yes, I have tried on similar settings. What makes my heart sing are original antiques, but SO doesn''t want to go that route - instead buy a new diamond - and I am worried about having a replica made and it not turning out like I want it. I''m worried that it won''t look like an original antique.

I was thinking the three stone or pave was a safer way to go. I do like both!
Have you told him how happy that would make you? And do you know why exactly he doesn''t like that idea?

Sometimes we need to have a few conversations with our guys before they "get" certain things. And if that''s what truly makes your heart sing, I would work towards trying to make that happen.
1.gif

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
He really wants some element of "surprise" in presenting the ring, and picking out the exact ring doesn''t really work. Tracking down antique rings is also a harrowing task, and on top of that, we are concerned that some antiques don''t always have the best stones. I think it''s just best if we go the custom route. We''ve already discussed extensively and I think the plan we''ve come up with works well for both of us.

Let me know your thoughts on my picks though!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 1:04:24 PM
Author: Piglet9j7
He really wants some element of 'surprise' in presenting the ring, and picking out the exact ring doesn't really work. Tracking down antique rings is also a harrowing task, and on top of that, we are concerned that some antiques don't always have the best stones. I think it's just best if we go the custom route. We've already discussed extensively and I think the plan we've come up with works well for both of us.

Let me know your thoughts on my picks though!
Good enough! I was just making sure you had tried.
2.gif

I like the pave solitaire (Ginger's) myself.
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ginger''s ring is gorgeous. Pave is tricky so I''d only go with someone who is an expert at it. I am a 3 stone girl myself. I love sapphires and diamonds together. Sooo pretty.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the three stone with sapphire sides, only because I think it will be the most "classic." Pave seems to be really trendy right now, and a lot of people have trouble with pave stones falling out. On the other hand, that ring of Ginger''s IS breathtakingly gorgeous so I can see why it might be tough. Good luck choosing!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a vote for a pave solitaire! Just because... I like that option best :)

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I love the pave style the most myself. However, if you want it to look like a genuine antique, it won''t. Even the best made rings today simply look different than an actual antique (with one or two exceptions, and I''ll get to that momentarily).

If you want someone who can make something as good as an actual antique piece, Van Craeynest is pretty much it. Singlestone is pretty darn close too, but IMHO for the actual look and feel of an antique ring, VC is closer to that. Singlestone does fabulous work but they don''t die strike their rings, and they don''t do piercing and chasing in the same way that VC does... basically, their jewelry is amazing, beautifully made, but more modern looking to my eye. (Like, if someone handed me a VC ring and a Singlestone ring and asked me to identify the age, I might be stumped by the VC one but the Singlestone one I would be able to identify as a modern piece pretty quickly.) Greenlake Jewelers in Seattle comes pretty darn close to doing perfect engraving as you will find today, but their filigree, and style of working, is unmistakeably modern looking- still beautiful though.

If you''re just looking for a really well made pave piece, and can let go of the "but is it like an antique" thing, there are more options. Leon Mege does impeccable micropave, as does Maytal Hannah.

If you really love antique settings, it would probably be far cheaper to simply get an empty antique setting and then find a loose stone (modern or vintage, whatever) to put in it- would your BF perhaps consider that option? It''s a lot less difficult than finding a complete ring. I actually bought a vintage platinum pierced-filigree setting with melee, and WITH an "extra" 1ct OEC in it, for far, far less than the price of a similar type of Van Craeynest setting... in fact, for about what it would have cost to get a nice setting from Greenlake Jewelers. It just takes more time and hunting.

Of course this might be more detail than you ever cared to know, but it''s one of my favorite subjects, so you get an earful
2.gif
I just think there''s a pretty significant difference between the beautiful pave rings made today, and actual antique pieces... and if you want one, I don''t know that the other will work perfectly for you.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''d really strongly ditto those who said to go try on these styles in person - its really the best way to know what speaks to you on your hand.

That said, I think three stones are absolutely classic, and the look would be beautiful
1.gif

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 12:29:46 PM
Author: vespergirl
Ugh, I am going through the same thing as you. I have a 2 ct RB in a solitaire setting, but I have been undecided for over a year if I want to turn it into a 3-stone, add baguettes, or a pave setting. Hopefully one of these days I''ll decide :)

I think that the 3-stone with the sapphires is beautiful, and the most classic. Check out SanDiegoLady''s beautiful ring. I have been really loving pave since I found PS, but I really loved trellis styles 10 years ago, and now I don''t love them as much. I think that sometimes styles go in cycles, and I wonder if I would get tired of the pave in a couple of years, as much as I love it now.

That''s why I''m thinking either keeping a solitaire, adding baguette sidestones, or a 3-stone - those styles have been around forever, and they always look gorgeous and timeless - good luck!

not to thread jack but FWIW, vesper I LOVE your solitaire!!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with option 3 design something with a jeweler. I''m not a huge fan of 3 stone for ER (and I have one!!! ha!) My upgrade in a few years will be a solitaire. GL!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote 3 stone with sapphires because it is classic, because I read people have trouble with the pave, and because I think the 2nd design is trendy now but will looks so "2000''s" in 10 years. Not to say that I don''t LOVE the pave and you couldn''t reset it in 10 years anyways!

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 2:05:11 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I love the pave style the most myself. However, if you want it to look like a genuine antique, it won''t. Even the best made rings today simply look different than an actual antique (with one or two exceptions, and I''ll get to that momentarily).

If you want someone who can make something as good as an actual antique piece, Van Craeynest is pretty much it. Singlestone is pretty darn close too, but IMHO for the actual look and feel of an antique ring, VC is closer to that. Singlestone does fabulous work but they don''t die strike their rings, and they don''t do piercing and chasing in the same way that VC does... basically, their jewelry is amazing, beautifully made, but more modern looking to my eye. (Like, if someone handed me a VC ring and a Singlestone ring and asked me to identify the age, I might be stumped by the VC one but the Singlestone one I would be able to identify as a modern piece pretty quickly.) Greenlake Jewelers in Seattle comes pretty darn close to doing perfect engraving as you will find today, but their filigree, and style of working, is unmistakeably modern looking- still beautiful though.

If you''re just looking for a really well made pave piece, and can let go of the ''but is it like an antique'' thing, there are more options. Leon Mege does impeccable micropave, as does Maytal Hannah.

If you really love antique settings, it would probably be far cheaper to simply get an empty antique setting and then find a loose stone (modern or vintage, whatever) to put in it- would your BF perhaps consider that option? It''s a lot less difficult than finding a complete ring. I actually bought a vintage platinum pierced-filigree setting with melee, and WITH an ''extra'' 1ct OEC in it, for far, far less than the price of a similar type of Van Craeynest setting... in fact, for about what it would have cost to get a nice setting from Greenlake Jewelers. It just takes more time and hunting.

Of course this might be more detail than you ever cared to know, but it''s one of my favorite subjects, so you get an earful
2.gif
I just think there''s a pretty significant difference between the beautiful pave rings made today, and actual antique pieces... and if you want one, I don''t know that the other will work perfectly for you.

Little, this is excellent advice and I really appreciate your explanation! How would you suggest going about tracking down an original setting without a stone? I would have no idea how to do this!

Part of me wants something in vogue, but the other part of me thinks I should get something timeless - such as the three stone. Men never seem to be a fan of resetting. I think my boyfriend would rather I find something that I will have for life than reset in 10 years. Who knows though, I could get sick of the classic choice too!

I was contemplating either Ginger''s set or the diamond/sapphire three stone with a French cut single stone WB. More opinions are welcome and thanks for all your help!!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
If you like antiques, how about something like this - almost 2ct, an old cut diamond, and a beautiful art deco setting?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 8:57:48 PM
Author: jstarfireb
If you like antiques, how about something like this - almost 2ct, an old cut diamond, and a beautiful art deco setting?

That''s gorgeous!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OF COURSE, it's what YOU like, but since you've asked : 3-stone!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 10:23:28 PM
Author: Kelli

Date: 2/4/2009 8:57:48 PM
Author: jstarfireb

That''s gorgeous!
Ditto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results