shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion please? Round, 1c...yada yada yada

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fourbar

Rough_Rock
Hi, and thanks for stopping by.
First a HUGE thanks to everyone on this board and especially to those who maintain and provide such a wealth of knowledge with no strings attached. I am a LONG time reader and lurker and a poster of only a few words. What can, I say I am here to learn.
34.gif

It''s time for that all important purchase, and I am looking for a stone to compliment a MM custom. I hope that you ladies and gents can provide some feedback on this for me. Short of seeing it in person, I have pretty much decided what I want to get for the ring. The specs are 1c in size, G/H color, VS2 or greater clarity. Prefer to have a GIA cert especially since I am buying online.

The stone I would like an opinion on is as follows:

Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.00
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.6
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 34
Crown %: 14.5
Pavilion Angle: 41
Pavilion %: 43.2
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.48-6.52X3.94

Thanks again for taking the time to view this.
If you know of any comparable stones, please let me know.
This purchase will be made ASAP, pending some response to local dealers as well.

Don''t worry, pics will be posted once everything is complete!
9.gif

Thank you again for your time.

- Chris

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
On paper, this appears to be a nice diamond. My only comments is that personally I would shoot for a g/vs2 - but one may not be available.

How fair is the price?

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2005 9:57
6.gif
7 AM
Author:fourbar
Hi, and thanks for stopping by.
First a HUGE thanks to everyone on this board and especially to those who maintain and provide such a wealth of knowledge with no strings attached. I am a LONG time reader and lurker and a poster of only a few words. What can, I say I am here to learn.
34.gif

It''s time for that all important purchase, and I am looking for a stone to compliment a MM custom. I hope that you ladies and gents can provide some feedback on this for me. Short of seeing it in person, I have pretty much decided what I want to get for the ring. The specs are 1c in size, G/H color, VS2 or greater clarity. Prefer to have a GIA cert especially since I am buying online.

The stone I would like an opinion on is as follows:

Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.00
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.6
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 34
Crown %: 14.5
Pavilion Angle: 41
Pavilion %: 43.2
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.48-6.52X3.94

Thanks again for taking the time to view this.
If you know of any comparable stones, please let me know.
This purchase will be made ASAP, pending some response to local dealers as well.

Don''t worry, pics will be posted once everything is complete!
9.gif

Thank you again for your time.

- Chris
Seen a H VS1 Ideal Cut 1.01 fpr $5377 , also saw a H VS2 Ideal Cut 1.06 for $5381, also same site has 2 more H VS1 1.02 Ideal Cut for $5430..........not sure what price you are paying, you didn''t mention it.
Saw all of the above on a site where I recently purchased a diamond.

Maybe the prices above can help you judge what kind of deal you have found comparing to these diamond prices.

HTH

Jimbo34

fourbar

Rough_Rock
F&I / Jimbo34:
The price is $5600, which I thought was fair until I read your post!
I would definitely prefer a G/VS2, but have not seen one available.

Jimbo34:
What sites do you happen to see the ones you mentioned?

I have been using the pricescope search engine and visiting a couple of other places like bluenile.

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2005 1:42:46 PM
Author: fourbar

F&I / Jimbo34:
The price is $5600, which I thought was fair until I read your post!
I would definitely prefer a G/VS2, but have not seen one available.

Jimbo34:
What sites do you happen to see the ones you mentioned?

I have been using the pricescope search engine and visiting a couple of other places like bluenile.

This just might be what you are looking for .......G/VS2 1.01 $5851........no tax or Shipping charges on that site.

http://www.diamondsonweb.com/shopping_dd/ddetail.pl?inset=rbidsg;shape=RB;cut=IdSg;cut=IdSgP;hascert=1;p_min=3000;p_max=6000&sortby=&sorto=&id=A13680&start=60

That Diamond is Laser inscribed also so you will know it is yours if you buy it.

To find their best cut Diamonds on that site click on the left side where it says DoW Signature Diamond Collection

Since the Diamonds you are looking at are very high in Color, really don't see the need to go up that high other then the self satifaction but to each it's own. We actually got a Color I /VS1, really didn't need that high of Clarity either but the price was quite attractive and the Diamond we got is excellent, just be sure to get one that has a very good cut. Their Signature collection on that site is very good.

Good Luck
Jimbo34

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Really... lovely rock methinks

excellent spread - dont find many with a depth of less than 61% in this size. tho it proportions do push it up to the more brilliant side of the AGS ideal box... how this affects the appeal of the diamond will be a personal thing. im not saying it as a detractor... just a passing comment on its possible personality... slightly more white light than fire.

for those that want to know:
DI40X_GIA-13679983.jpg

IS_GIA-13679983.jpg

certainly i wouldnt push it out of bed for being a H VS1

there where a couple of others that caught my eye on a search...

.92ct G VS2 @ good old gold here
which is closer to the firey side of the box

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Fourbar,

Your pick does have good numbers on the HCA (1.3 TIC), which is good to know...and good!

Jimbo, I'm sure you got a swell pick from DiamondsOnWeb, but the (first) one you've suggested has a claim of ideal only, with a GIA cert, and no specs to point to, is unconfirmed.

Do you have a basis to know their "ideal" diamonds are that? Hopefully so, of course.

fourbar

Rough_Rock
Hmmm.
Well, yes there are more options on the table now.
I think the appropriate term is overwhelmed more than confused!
23.gif
j/k.

I see that one of the differences between the WF that I am looking at and some of the DoW stones is the upgrade term. 5 years on DoW and Lifetime on WF.
Hmmm. What are the odds of buying her a bigger rock later?
31.gif

It seems that (so far) there appear to be no major warnings (which I figured on) and I have already learned of one new site (DoW) already.

Luckily I have done my research and now I just need to do my shopping...
Thanks to those who have offered their opinion so far.
Let's keep it coming!

To other shoppers reading this post (I know that I read a few like this), be careful what you ask for, you just may get it!

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2005 2:56:25 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Fourbar,

Do you have a basis to know their 'ideal' diamonds are that? Hopefully so, of course.

I don't think they would have the Diamond in thier Ideal section if they weren't a well cut Diamonds plus I put the stats in the Holloway Cut Adviser.
If you really have a question about one of their Diamonds if very easy to just pick up the phone and call them, they are very phone friendly and very helpful they can get any of the numbers for you before you ever attempt to purchase one.

Jimbo34

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Yo Jimbo....

A few points:

1) If I'm wrong, I would like to know. If you put the stats in for the first one you recommended, I didn't see them. What are the crown & pavillion angles?

2) For the second one, I didn't check at all, but did notice it had an AGS cert, and saw these are presented, but sidewise (edited to add...no, not this one, but I can't read the pavilion angle, can you?). Can you read them?

3) Finally, I did call them...and learned that many of their diamonds, INCLUDING many of their signature series, are not in their posession. I presume that those options work like most options listed here on the Pricescope Quick search, such that ultimately, not much is at least easily known about the diamond until it is called in....and that the judgement about the classification of ideal is based purely on knowing depth & table measurements.

Particularly, though, re #2, the AGS options at DiamondOnWeb seem favorable to those in the QuickSearch here, because they DO post the certs. Mayby you can advise that at least for those (and maybe more!) they can share the crown & pavillion angles. Or maybe a loupe on my computer screen will help!

Right now, though, I'm just a busy body on this board, so I'm not going to hassle anybody beyond my native curiosity. Hope you don't mind me hassling you.

Best,

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
Points taken, thats why buying a diamond over the web takes time and a through research. Yes you would have to call on some to get all the numbers on each diamond. That's why I would try to stick to the AGS rated diamonds if possible, all the stats are right there in front of you.

I happen to be off today too and I like harassing you also.
25.gif
lol It's pretty clear though that you don't like any diamonds from that site.......but that's okay thats why they have Mc Donald's and Burger King.
35.gif
I was just giving the OP a look at another dealer.

Jimbo34

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Actually, as I said Newbie questions about shopping....and where you want to be able to pay less, if you don''t see the value in the more expensive option.

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
I Stand Corrected, I apologize RegularGuy

Jimbo34

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Fourbar,

Though just going to the same well, and maybe just trading this for that...you might at least ask the folks at WF to also check out for you this one, going up on color to G, and down on clarity to SI 1...incidentally saving a couple of bucks in the process.

Just my 2 more cents.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fourbar
i agree with Regular Guy, you must ask for a sarin report on stones with GIA cert to get more information on cut quality also see if you can get a I-scope picture.

fourbar

Rough_Rock
Yes, I agree with the both of you in regards to needing all the info.
Fortunately, most of the (GIA) stones that I have been looking at already have the Sarin and Idealscope offered already.

In looking at the AGS stone mentioned in Regular Guy''s post, the characteristics and quality seem higher so what makes me wonder is why is the price less? I guess the clarity is more of a factor than the color.

Everything that I have read and seen places GIA as the most conservative rating system for diamonds which is why I would be willing to track down extra info in verifying the qualities.

I just spent a few minutes following (most) of the threads linked in this post. Very interesting.
Yes, I have been through the GoG tutorial and the PS tutorial. I read through both when I first discovered this site. While not a diamond expert by any means, I am in possession of just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I am trying to surround myself with people that can offer advice and points of view that I would not necessarily know or consider, which is why I enjoy spending time on this board and will continue to do so after my current purchase. After all, there are bound to be more in the future!

While remaining on the topic, what do you guys think of the AGS stone Regular Guy posted? The big difference I am seeing in physical dimensions is girdle thicknesses and a slightly larger table on the GIA stone...

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Fourbar,

I know what you mean my knowing enough to be dangerous.

I hope others may chime in...

Meanwhile, just 2 follow up points:

1) I am not personally party to the wisdom behind comparing AGS & GIA, giving the latter the imprimatur on grading, but won''t deny it. However, and while noting it is a small study of under 20 stones, based on an attempted empirical comparison between three certifying agencies, if my math is correct, you might expect a 16% greater likelihood of a more strict reading from AGS, if you extrapolate these numbers.

2) Just confirming your intuition...

Date: 4/13/2005 9:42:26 AM
Author: fourbar
....why is the price less? I guess the clarity is more of a factor than the color.....
although the weighting of color and clarity is probably not one for one, I think it''s closer to that than not. But, in this case, you are going down 2 grades for clarity, while up only one for color.

The guess is simply that the total visible difference for those two features, while minor altogether, will be more for the color than for the clarity.

Best,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Indeed!

(There Ana goes again, thinking outside the box....an E is in sight, but at another price point).

I would compare the ideals scopes, as the F somehow seems more pink, and maybe less sharp, but that could be a) operator error, or moreover, operator reader (me!).

Most of all, as I''ve heard others here so often suggest, ask the guys at WF to pick up these 3 options (if not others as well), and give you their expert opinion, on one over the other. No knock to their business sensibilities, understanding they''ll have your business regardless, it''s hard to think of a reason for them not giving a straight opinion.

fourbar

Rough_Rock
Well, due to my procrastination some of the original options were taken off the table (everything for a reason right?).
Then I saw
this beauty, did some math (Ramen and mac & cheese aren''t that bad for the next few months...j/k
2.gif
), and well it should be here tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for the advice and links. The diamond linked above really has the qualities that I was looking for (short of the 2 carat, D, IF for the same price that I couldn''t find...and if YOU find it please contact me!
3.gif
).
If anyone reading this has any hesitations about using whiteflash, don''t. Thanks Renee!

I can''t wait to see it in person and then in the ring.
The hardest part is making a purchase like this and not being able to tell too many people (especially the one who will be wearing it). It has to be one the reasons places like this are so addictive...the anonymity.

Guess I''ll see you guys over in the "Show me the Ring" forum next!!
9.gif

Thanks again!
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results