shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on these three tsavs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Which one would you pick?

1. http://www.ajsgems.com/cpage/products/details?pid=2049216684

2. http://www.ajsgems.com/cpage/products/details?pid=2049214496

3. http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/tsavorite/ygg109aa/&-911529999

Let me tell you what I''m looking for in a tsav. - great color, love a hunter green color (with no yellow tones) but not too dark, love dispersion, prefer cushion & round shapes, maybe square or rectangular (but this cuts down on dispersion). I don''t care for ovals, however the third is a nicely colored stone but oval.

I corresponded with multicolor about the third and they said the cutting is a bit off but they would fix it up for me, if I wanted, but it would become about a .87 - .91.

Thanks.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
If dispersion is your main requirement then I''d go with number 1. If the green body color is the main requirement then I''d go with number 2. Number 3''s cut looks more than a bit off, it''s windowed plus the oval shape isn''t symmetrical.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, toughy! I love the cut on the first one and the color on the second one. IF the inclusions in #1 are not as noticeable in person, I''d go for it hands down (combo of cut, size and color...and price!) That''s a big if, though.

I don''t like the multicolour one, because I like darker colors, and you''d lose too much volume to the recutting to get rid of the window.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Inclusions are way too obvious. I''d pass.
2. Looks decent from the picture but can''t tell for sure. Appears to be the best out of all 3 stones. Might be a touch dark.
3. Totally off shape and window is too huge. Are you positive about Multicolour''s ability to recut the stone? I''m concerned about the weight loss and once recut, how it will affect the final observed colour of the tsavorite.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
1: Not great. Too many inclusions
2: Very nice. Good color, reasonable cut, though the angle of the shot makes it look a bit asymetrical.
3. Rotten. The color is not bad but the cut is absolutely horrifying. How could someone do that to such a nice stone??!!

Number 2 is the way to go!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. Oh dear, now none of these are working as I see what your expert eyes are saying. No. 2 could work but it possibly being dark scares me. Also, it''s not inexpensive for a shape that I don''t love enough (prefer a squarer cushion).

Great point, Chrono, about recutting Three may change how the color looks.

Maybe I''ll wait.

If anyone sees a nice round or cushion (even square or emerald cut) (no ovals) tsav, about 1 ct, please let me know.

Thanks.

You are the best.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Two is the best of those three.

I'm not fussed on the colour of three and I'm not sure that recutting will get it to the kind of shade you like - it has a good dose of yellow in it. There's also no info on the depth of the stone.

One is very included.

I'd want to see a lot more photos in different lights and angles of No. 2 to make sure of the colour and shape though. Price is VERY good though.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Just from quick glance, I liked #2 the best

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for looking Pandora.

You know, I''m sure you''re right. I think what I''m really thinking is that for me to spend $400, I''d want it in a more square cushion. So, I think I "said", "presented" that wrong. Apologies.

Thanks.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like # 2 the best.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Do any of these at acstones.com catch your fancy? Tsavs. I like the first one in the bottom row, myself, but I don't know if it's in your price range.

COT

Rough_Rock
I have been collecting tsavorites for about 3 years and study them extensively...they are my favorite gemstone, next to demantoid.

IMHO, #1 represents the best value. As long as the inclusions are tiny bubbles and not feathers that can totally obstruct the light, your naked eye might not mind. I have several like this and can''t see them with the naked eye. But the effect they have gives the stone a warm glow that, again IMHO, enhances the look of the stone when set.

#2 Is the best color, based on the photo, but you will never know unless you see it in person and examine it under different lighting conditions. Tsavorites that are slightly dark look great outdoors in the sun, but get them inside under low light conditions and they don''t do the trick.

#3 is out.

My suggestion is to get them both and then take your time looking at them under different conditions. See if the inclusions in #1 are objectionable to the naked eye. Then return the one you decide not to keep. I think Multicolor would give you that flexibility.

Enjoy which ever one you find pleasing to your eye.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Selkie - thanks so much for looking. That one is absolutely lovely and fits all of what I'm looking for. However, when you click on "more details" it says SOLD. I wish that site didn't do that to us ! !

COT - Why demantoids over tsavs, can I ask? I may do what you said. However, after just looking at the ACS one, maybe I'll wait. I'm a hard shopper.

Thanks all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2008 11:02:35 AM
Author: sonomacounty
Selkie - thanks so much for looking. That one is absolutely lovely and fits all of what I''m looking for. However, when you click on ''more details'' it says SOLD. I wish that site didn''t do that to us ! !

COT - Why demantoids over tsavs, can I ask? I may do what you said. However, after just looking at the ACS one, maybe I''ll wait. I''m a hard shopper.

Thanks all.
Demantoids have much higher dispersion than tsavs. The cons to demantoids are cost (MUCH more expensive) and MOH hardness (better meant for earrings and pendants).

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Doh...I realized that later last night. I''ll keep an eye out! Also, Artistic Cut will be listing new stuff very soon so you might want to check back.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like #2 the best. AJSgems has so many and alot of them look nice. have you ever checked out this site gemfix.com ? Some of the tsavorites on that site look pretty nice.

COT

Rough_Rock
Hi...

The reason I like demantoid over tsavorite (its sort of a toss up for me) is first, they Russian material is more rare, second, they have higher dispersion, and third, I like the color play (probably the reason I also like sphene). More over, I like emeralds, but don''t have the pocket yet for material worth collecting, so as you can tell, I like green. I am partial overall to the garnet family since you can''t play games with the material from a treatment standpoint.

Here is a pic of two tsav''s I recently purchased the rough for and had cut. Both are almost a ct. They surround a Moz tourmaline. Pic was taken at dusk with only the setting sun as the light source. I like gems that show their colors under all light sources.

Moz Tourm Blue 5ct 1.JPG

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Demantoids seem like the color can be "trickier" than tsavorites, no? It seems like there is more variation in their colors. Better dispersion is a great thing. I''ll keep that in mind. I have learned so very much from all of you.

Thanks for the gemfix site. There is a round tsav. there that is nice but doesn''t quite call to me.

Thanks again, people-of-great-knowledge.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Tsavorites don''t show dispersion in the way that diamond or sphene or demantoid does.

In sunlight or under down-lighters you will get neon green light shooting off them when you tilt the stone, but I wouldn''t really describe them as stones where dispersion is something to particularly look for. It''s more of a glassy sparkle than anything - you don''t get fire like with a demantoid.

With tsavs, my criteria would be:

Colour (I like mine a touch dark in electric light but bright green in daylight - not too much yellow.)

Cut - my stone got a minor haircut and the difference was incredible in the amount of green sparkle. It was great before, but even FI noticed the difference afterwards.

Clarity - I quite like the odd small interesting bit going on inside but not so that I can see it without a loupe.

Carat

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
You know, Pandora, I was looking at your stone before in the Colored Show me the Ring. It is just exquisite.

I''m not that educated in all this but it seems the demantoids usually have grey/green/yellow colors. I have to face that I just really want the hunter green (green w. touch of blue) that it seems you only get in a tsavorite and so much for better dispersion.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 6:36:13 PM
Author: sonomacounty
You know, Pandora, I was looking at your stone before in the Colored Show me the Ring. It is just exquisite.

I''m not that educated in all this but it seems the demantoids usually have grey/green/yellow colors. I have to face that I just really want the hunter green (green w. touch of blue) that it seems you only get in a tsavorite and so much for better dispersion.
Thank you!

The demantoids I have seen IRL that I like are a very bright grassy green, definitely tending towards the yellow. They also have very visible fire. I''ve never seen a grey one.

I''m not sure I understand what you mean when you say that the hunter green in tsavorite is so much better for dispersion?

You won''t get anything like the demantoid effect in a tsav - tsavorites don''t have fire, in the same way that sapphires don''t, they can sparkle but they won''t throw off rainbows. (Colourless ones might - but I haven''t seen one IRL to be able to comment).

The darker the colour of a stone, the less dispersion you will be able to see - hence why lighter zircons, demantoids and sphene have greater fire.

If killer dispersion is what you are after, tsavorite is not the right stone.

I may be totally misunderstanding what you are saying here though.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I think sonomacounty is saying "so much for better dispersion" as in she (or he? sorry!) realizes that dispersion will have to be sacrificed for the preferred tsavorite color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t seen a gray demantoid either, just brownish yellow green ones.

If you want dispersion, tsavorites aren''t for you. No matter what colour the tsav is, it cannot compete with demantoids for dispersion. You''ll get green flashes out of the tsav but not rainbow coloured sparkle.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

Correct, Selkie.

Sonoma is a she, btw.

Sorry for calling some greyish, I couldn''t quite figure out what tone I was seeing, but as you all said, it''s brown.

I''m o.k. with sacraficing dispersion for color this time. Love that hunter green (w. a tiny touch of blue).

Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. I need to be more specific. Hunter Green is not the correct term, agreed. Not looking for any grey, just a small hint of blue.

Thanks for the download, Pandora. It looks great. I'll download it and give try it out.

Selkie, do you prefer your sphene or demantiod for dispersion? Just wondering.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Not Selkie, but sphene tops demantoid for dispersion any day in my book.

Both need careful handling, but sphene would be the more delicate of the two - worth bearing in mind. Fine for earrings and pendants but a no-no for rings, also need for care in choosing settings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to Pandora''s post,
But if you like green and the rarity factor, then demantoids would be the better choice. Sphenes do come in green but the yellow ones have better dispersion. I do think sphenes are softer though.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I was asking about sphenes and demantoids as dispersion is an interest of mine.

Somehow I''m just not loving the color of demantoids. Still looking for the right tsav. I get the feeling it may be awhile
40.gif
, but that is o.k.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results