shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on online vs offline shopping

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm thinking back to your original thread where you indicated you wanted approx 1 carat E+ color and VS2+ clarity stone. All within a $6k budget.

Later you indicated you'd be willing to sacrifice color (never defined how much) to maintain excellent/ideal cut stone and eye clean SI1 or VS2+ clarity. Additionally you had 10-15% flex in your budget for the "perfect" stone indicating about $7k max dollars.

So when I see the K stone, I think to myself it's obviously much bigger than your 1 carat goal. Also, it meets your revised max budget and clarity desires. I do worry about the color. Having seen @lovedogs K colored CBI stone, I can attest it's absolutely gorgeous. I like more white stones and honestly never thought I'd say I liked that color. Her stone swayed me to the other side. However, it also seems very white for a K in many of the photos and videos she's shared. Also she shared some where you could see the warmth which I still found charming.

Problem is that each individual person has different tolerances for color. She obviously loves the warm tones. As I spend more time looking at diamonds, I find myself changing my preferences. My fiancee tends to be very color sensitive and easily sees the tint in her H colored stone. I see it too but not as easily as she does. Thankfully she is not bothered by it. I think @rockysalamander is similar to my fiancee, meaning she easily sees tint but appreciates the variety.

So back on topic -- are you buying this stone for yourself, or are you buying for your fiancee? Do you know your own color acuity as well as theirs? Have you seen some diamonds in person to verify the difference between an E, I and K are?

I feel buying the K requires you to be confident in the color acuity of the person receiving it. If you aren't then I think the I color is a safer goal. Also, looking at the proportions and videos I prefer the personality of the I stone that Rocky recommended. That smaller table and more complimentary crown/pavilion angle combo throws a little more fire in the videos. I tend to like fire so I'd want to pick that stone. This isn't to say the K isn't a performer or top notch. It's absolutely great. But again, I prefer the most fire and to my eyes the I has a personality that produces a little more fire although it may be pretty negligible under normal lighting and not the glamour lighting used in the videos.

All that said, I will leave a few comments on the I. As noted above, I like the fire the stone exhibits. I think you get a great bang for the buck with it being an Expert Select (ES) vs A Cut Above (ACA). Both brands carry all the same upgrade programs, buyback policies, excellent customer service, etc. The images look great, just like an ACA. On the ASET there is a spot near the edges about the 1 o'clock position that may have contributed to this being an ES vs ACA stone. It's not detrimental.

My only concern is the grade setting knot inclusion. This is where talking with WF is advantageous. They own all these stones and can pull the stone from their vault. You need to verify the knot doesn't cause any structural issues (very unlikely) and that the stone is 100% completely eye clean. WF defines eye clean as no inclusions 10" away looking at the top of the diamond with 20/20 vision. Because the knot is located on the pavilion I would ask them to consider a top down and side view of the diamond both.

Assuming it all checks out I think this is a winner for you. Gives you better size, stays within budget, keeps the color in a safer range, is a fireball of sparkles and offers all the same great customer service and upgrade programs that you'd want and expect. I would echo the others and go place this stone on hold while you make a final decision.

FYI, prior to finding the BGD Blue I bought my fiancee, I was considering a WF ES stone and it was a firecracker too. The rep didn't understand why it didn't make the ACA cut as it outperformed similar ACA stones I compared it against. You don't find these stones everyday so I think you find a great bang for the buck, assuming it all works out on the clarity issues.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge mine is an N, much lower than the K the OP is considering. OP: see my threads to look at an ideally cut lower colored stone. In many lights it's quite white, but if someone wanted a totally colorless stone they wouldn't be happy with my N. But I really wanted a warm stone with some champagne tones, so I'm 100% thrilled!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the wearer of the ring, you see your stones more from the side and at 45 degrees tilt than from the top. So, the side is important to consider unless the wearer to totally and completely smitten with *diamond* body color like many of us here on PS.

Form the Top
diamond-color-d-h-k.jpg

From the sides
diamond-color-side.jpg

Last edited:

IonutZ

Rough_Rock
@sludge I think I've changed my parameters slightly since I first started. I was looking for more colorless diamonds, however, this being the first diamond for both me and my girlfriend I think color might not be necessarily that big of a deal for her. I'm willing to sacrifice some color for size as long as the cut is there. Going from I to K doesn't seem that big of a stretch color-wise.

I think that I will be able to upgrade both color and size on the ring's first upgrade, and there seems to be a little wiggle room in cut to upgrade as well to more fire down the road. Under magnification there seem to be a lot more inclusions/points of contention on the SI1 vs the VS2. Unless the I is significantly more impressive than the K, I think the color/size compromise will make the K win the fight.

@lovedogs and @rockysalamander I think that for the first iteration of said commitment, we can go for a more colored stone so that we have more parameters to tweak next iteration =) the cut is really what matters to me and this seems to be within everyone's acceptable range as an ACA

Say in the future I wanna go to BGD from WF... am I going to lose out drastically? What is people's experience in going between such high-end vendors?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sludge I think I've changed my parameters slightly since I first started. I was looking for more colorless diamonds, however, this being the first diamond for both me and my girlfriend I think color might not be necessarily that big of a deal for her. I'm willing to sacrifice some color for size as long as the cut is there. Going from I to K doesn't seem that big of a stretch color-wise.

I think that I will be able to upgrade both color and size on the ring's first upgrade, and there seems to be a little wiggle room in cut to upgrade as well to more fire down the road. Under magnification there seem to be a lot more inclusions/points of contention on the SI1 vs the VS2. Unless the I is significantly more impressive than the K, I think the color/size compromise will make the K win the fight.

@lovedogs and @rockysalamander I think that for the first iteration of said commitment, we can go for a more colored stone so that we have more parameters to tweak next iteration =) the cut is really what matters to me and this seems to be within everyone's acceptable range as an ACA

Say in the future I wanna go to BGD from WF... am I going to lose out drastically? What is people's experience in going between such high-end vendors?

There is no significant difference in performance between the K ACA and I ES stones from WF. More of a personality difference. Both will be absolutely gorgeous and stunning in regards to performance.

If you and your fiancee are good with the color, who am I to disagree?

In regards to jumping between vendors, there is a decent chance they would take your stone on trade; however, expect trade values which typically isn't favorable. If you think you want to be at BGD for the long term then that is where I'd start as you can establish the working relationship with them early on and won't suffer the monetary impacts of switching vendors.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you and your fiancee are good with the color, who am I to disagree?

Have you involved your fiance to be sure she is OK with visible tint? If so, then go with whatever works for your budget. If no, I'll give my standard caution. I hesitate to recommend lower colored diamonds. The great news here is that if you go with WF, you'll have easy trade-in if she prefers a whiter stone. So, as long as you are good with her trading it in, no worries.

I missed that the ES had a knot. That would eliminate it for me. Say "k-no to k-nots". :mrgreen2:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4037183.htm
I like this one. It has a potentially too visible to you inclusion on the right side of the table, but I think it will be near invisible in person. This has a tiny table and great angles. 6.84 mm

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2531892.htm
This is a little more expensive, but its a VS1 putting aside any worries. And, its the same size and the one immediately above this. 54% table is very nice.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4070343.htm
This is a K (see comment above). Its a very nice and balanced stone.

What do you think of these? If you like them, I would ask WF to compare these three, especially relative to color and the visibility of that inclusion on the right. Maybe side-by-side shots from the sides would be helpful.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
however, this being the first diamond for both me and my girlfriend I think color might not be necessarily that big of a deal for her. I'm willing to sacrifice some color for size as long as the cut is there. Going from I to K doesn't seem that big of a stretch color-wise.

It seems you're really not sure of your color tolerance. I strongly suggest that you visit local jewelers and see a K stone before making an important decision. Be sure to walk outside of the flattering spot lighting and go near the window (or outside the store with permission) or under plain florescent light to judge the color better. Below the near-colorless range, the color difference get much larger by each level as you go further down the scale.

IonutZ

Rough_Rock
@blueMA and @rockysalamander my fiancee would not know the difference as it is not that important to her. Jewelry isn't something that she is very passionate about. Me putting thought into the purchase is probably worth more to her than the color difference between an I and a K. I can definitely justify the K over I with the size and clarity increase.

@rocky the 3rd stone you recommended was the one I picked out a few posts back and asked for opinions on. I think that's what I'm aiming for. Also, WF said they could do this by Feb 1st (which is critical).

The way I see it, worst case scenario, they have a money back guarantee, so we'll just return it if it's not a good fit.

EDIT: I reserved the K 1.363ct VS1 AGS-104103809028
EDIT 2: Got a call back from Whiteflash saying that someone else's payment had bounced for the stone as they were trying to upgrade to it on Friday and that it would be resolved on Monday... so it's not mine anymore. Lady apologized :(

Last edited:

IonutZ

Rough_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back to going between these 2...

AGS 1.04ct I VS2 ACA $7,054
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4061058.htm

AGS 1.083 I VVS2 III $6,978
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...083-i-vvs2-round-diamond-ags-cbl-104103554004

and rocky's suggestion:
AGS 1.203 J VS1 ACA $7,495

I'm kinda pooped now that I had my heart set on that K...

Aww, sorry about the K :(

But since you want more size, I'd go with the bigger J.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock

IonutZ

Rough_Rock
I wanted to update everyone here on my journey so far!! I sealed the deal!

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ings/flush-fit-diamond-engagement-ring-42.htm
with this stone:

Thank you everyone for imparting your knowledge with me :) it has been a great time learning from all of you and getting to understand nuances in preference when it comes to diamonds!

Next step is getting the ring in the mail, will update on how that goes :D I'm excited!

Thanks again for all your help!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to update everyone here on my journey so far!! I sealed the deal!

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ings/flush-fit-diamond-engagement-ring-42.htm
with this stone:

Thank you everyone for imparting your knowledge with me :) it has been a great time learning from all of you and getting to understand nuances in preference when it comes to diamonds!

Next step is getting the ring in the mail, will update on how that goes :D I'm excited!

Thanks again for all your help!
So happy for you!!! Great choice in the diamond and setting. Can't wait to see how it looks in person, and your thoughts when it's on her finger!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, congrats @IonutZ!

Stone and setting choices both look great. Very happy for you. Please be sure to post back with some pictures once it arrives and also on her finger. :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results