shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Must-Have Items!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Goldenringlets query on hand creams got me thinking...what are your must-have cosmetic items? What are the products that you absolutely love, would recommend in a heartbeat, and in short, can't live without? And, what is it about them that you really like? Tell us here!!
1.gif

Here's my list. Skin and hair type are normal, sensitive, and verging on dry in the winter.

Cleanser - The Body Shop Passionfruit Cleansing Gel - Have been using this for years. Cleans gently without overstripping.

Facial moisturizer - Nivea Creme - My tried and true face/eye cream in the cold winter months.
1.gif

Facial Mask - Asprin - Crush around 6 uncoated aspirin in a shot glass. Mix with a little water. Put in on your face (yes! really!) and use it like a scrub (gently!) for a minute or two. Be sure to avoid the eye area. Let it dry. Rinse. A great mask for softening the skin. Aspirin contains salicylic acid, which helps to exfoliate dead skin. Really works, and it's cheap.
1.gif

Body moisturizer - Palmer's Cocoa Butter - I use both the lotion and cream forms of this product. Smells heavenly.
1.gif

Treatment Product - Paula's Choice 1% BHA Solution - Great for keeping skin clear and exfoliated.

Sunscreen - DDF Organic Sunscreen SPF 30 - I wear this everyday, without fail. Am super-pale and don't tan at all. Contains no chemical sunscreens - great for me, 'cause chemical sunscreens make my skin red and irritated. Very gentle, effective sunscreen.

Foundation - Prescriptives Virtual Youth - I wear the lightest shade in the Red colour grouping, Smooth Petal. Don't wear foundation everyday, only for special occasions/pictures as my skin is basically good, but I love this one.
1.gif
Imparts a sheer, dewy finish. Would not recommend for oily or combination skins.

Concealer - MAC Pot Concealer - A tiny pot of concealer that works well to cover redness, undereye circles (me!) or zits. Lasts forever.
1.gif

Powder - Sonia Kashuk Loose Powder - Picked this up at Target a few months back, and I love it.
1.gif
Finally, a loose powder that's pale enough for me. I wear Naked, the lightest shade. Very sheer and finely-milled - better than many of the high-end powders I've tried (I'm looking at you, Laura Mercier.)

Blush - Stila's Convertible Colour in Petunia - A cream-based blush/lip colour that lends a pink flush to my cheeks. Very easy to apply. Great if you're pale - would probably not show up as well on dark-skinned women. Other great Convertible Colours are Rose (darker red) and Lilium (extremely sheer, pale pink.) Would not recommend if you have oily or combination skin.

I also like Nars Orgasm (stop laughing) to warm up my complexion a little, especially in the summertime. A pinky-peach powder blush with a subtle golden sheen. Works well on many skin tones.
1.gif

Eyeliner - Bobbi Brown's Gel Eyeliner - Love, love, love this product.
1.gif
I wear it almost daily in Violet Ink - a muted violet shade that doesn't scream "purple". I also like Sepia, a dark brownish black. These little pots of eyeliner last forever, and they don't budge once they're on.

Eyeshadow - Don't wear eyeshadow everyday, but I like Revlon's Illuminance Cream's, MAC Paints, and MAC powder eyeshadows in general.

Mascara - Clinique's Naturally Glossy Mascara - Recommended if you like a more natural look. Good for defining what you already have - it will not give you a dramatic look if that's what you're going for.

Lips - Some of my faves are...Vincent Longo's Lipstain in Cherry, MAC Lipglass in Nymphette and Lure-X, Prescriptives Lipsticks in Azalea and Pink, Revlon's Moisturous Lip Colour in Nearly Naked (great neutral shade) and Revlon's Sheer Lipglide in Sheerly Strawberry.

Brushes - MAC and Prescriptives Prescriptives makes a foundation brush that rocks.
1.gif

Other Tools - MAC's Eyelash Curler, Aveda Paddle Brush - If you have long, non-curly hair, get thyself to an Aveda store or salon and purchase thyself a large Aveda Paddle Brush.
1.gif
Will not tear your hair and feels great on your scalp. Just as good as the Mason Pearson paddle brush that costs many shemoles more.
1.gif

Fragrance - Day - Narciso Rodriguez For Her - subtle, warm, musky scent - Mr. CG adores it.
1.gif
Night - Thierry Mugler's Angel - My all-time favourite scent. I hate florals - this has zero florals, it's musk, chocolate, vanilla, patchouli - so if you hate florals as well, this might be for you. Not for the faint of heart.
1.gif

Shampoo & Conditioner - Revlon's Outrageous - Sadly, these products are not available in the US. This stuff smells absolutely divine, and the scent lingers all day long. Will be carting many bottles with me across the border in June.
1.gif

Leave-In Conditioner - Aveda Elixir - Not a huge fan of Aveda products in general, but I've been using this leave-in for almost a decade. It's especially useful if you live in a cold or dry climate, and you have long hair - I use it on the bottom third of my hair, particularly in the frigid winter months.

Styling Product - I have long, straight, fine hair that is resistant to styling. So I gave up fighting with my hair and no longer bother.
1.gif
But I like Biosilk Serum for shine.
1.gif

Edited to add more stuff, and because Rodriguez had too many g's.
1.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Great thread CG!
Must haves for me:

Body wash:
Fa Aqua body wash. Smells like CLEAN. Hard to find in the States. I discovered this 10 years a go and now can barely find it in stores so I stock pile it. I think Fa is a German company. Any European friends out here we can help me find this, as I'm down to my last 3 bottles!
errrr.gif

Body Scrubs:
Red Korean cloths made out of viscose. You will find this little miracle exfoliator in just about every Asian person's shower, or it's Japanese blue colored twin. Just wet this cloth, and rub it against your skin during a bath or shower and you will not believe how effectively this thing removes dirt and old skin. You are squeaky clean and unbelievably soft. I can't feel clean if I don't use this daily. This just smokes those little round showergel puffs away in the dust! Also, exfoliating daily discourages ingrown hairs if you're prone to them.

Body Lotion:
Spring Rain by Crabtree and Evelyn. It's what soft would smell like.
White Ginger and Oatmeal by Thymes Limited. Exquiste scent.

Hair:
Redken Extreme shampoo and conditioner. Helped rescue my brittle hair while undergoing color correction.
Redken Anti-Snap leave in conditioner. Like the name says, it helps prevent breakage for distressed hair.
Biosilk Silk Therapy serum. Is this what you use CG? I know you're only supposed to use a dime or quarter size of the stuff, but with my long hair, I have to get the biggest 34 oz. bottle. A salon guy once asked me how long this size bottle lasts me and I said 4-6 months. He said his 3 sisters used up the stuff in 6 months. I can't help it. It keep hair shiny and static free.

Hand cream:
Neutrogena's Noreweigan Hand Cream. It comes in scented and non-scented. It's thick, but curiously enough it's not greasy. I work with my hands so they get really thrashed by all the handwashing. Applying this overnight for just a few days gets them soft again.

Facial cleansers:
Pond's tissue makeup remover. It's like baby wipe that just gets the makeup OFF. It's quick, easy, and non-greasy.
Murad's Clarifying gel cleanser. This is a Godsend for me! This is great for oily or combo skin. This cleanser, along with a few changes to my diet, really helped me get rid of my acne during my last year at graduate school.

Daily moisturizer:
L'oreal's Hydra-Renewal. So moisturizing! Or Elizabeth Arden's Skin Illuminating Complex. I don't know what's in this stuff, but I swear it seems to help resurface my skin to baby smooth.

Deep cleansers:
Neutrogena's Facial Scrub. Doesn't feel like the sandpaper like the first generation of scrubs and has a pleasant citrus scent.
Biore nose strips. Gross to see, but very satisfying to know that I'm eliminating some cloggage!
Superfine Japanese brown rice powder that a girlfriend brought back from a trip there. Just mix the powder with some water and voila...bright, baby soft skin without using any grainy scrubs.

Acne solutions:
100% pure organic essential oils. German or Roman chamomile to reduce inflammation. Helichrysum (Immortelle) to help with ANY redness (great for insect bites, too). Natural and yummy smelling!
Murad's On the Spot Acne Treatment. Zaps pimples away overnight. I have to be careful about this one sometimes as the sulfur or maybe it's the salicylic acid can burn my skin in sensitive neck areas and around the mouth.
cry.gif

Dental stuff:
Tom's of Maine Natural toothpastes. Once I started using this, I could not ever go back to the conventional toothpastes because I them to taste disgusting sweet.
Dental floss
Crest Whitening strips. It really seems to work! Sometimes I just put 'em on while I'm cruising Pricescope!

Shisedo Powder Foundation. Great coverage, superfine, and velvet-like consistency. And this works really well with my color.

Would love to hear others' survival tools!
wavey.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, that's what I was referring to.
1.gif
Great stuff. Your hair must be a lot thicker than mine (if it is, I borderline hate you) 'cause my 5.64 fl. oz. bottle has lasted me almost a year with daily usage.
1.gif

May I make a suggestion? Please be careful with the Anti-Snap. It's good stuff - great stuff - but it contains protein and should therefore only be used three times per week, at most. Apparently, protein can build up on the hair shaft and make your hair brittle and prone to breakage...a little helps to smooth it, but too much, and you're contributing to what you were hoping to remedy in the first place.
1.gif

I like Tom's of Maine toothpaste, too.
1.gif
I love their deodorant as well. They're a great company - zero animal testing, and their products really deliver.
1.gif

I think we have Fa products up here in Canada. They're in bright green packaging, correct? With blue lettering?? Will check to see if the bodywash is available next time I'm in a drugstore.
1.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hah, I wish I had hair as thick as you think! Lol! No, unfortunately, it was just way too long and considerably damaged as I tried desperately to smooth out the errant Alfafa-like stick ups and the crunchy ends with the Biosilk. Too many indiscriminate attempts at self-coloring touchups, I suppose.
saint.gif

I was told by my hair stylist that with brittle hair I should try to get moisture into it first and then add products like Biosilk to it or like you said, it will contribute to the breakage. I didn't realize that the Anti-Snap wasn't a daily product. Stylist told me to use this daily, especially critical as I'm going through this color correction process.

May I compliment Canadiangirl in being as knowlegable about her health and beauty products as she is about diamonds?!
appl.gif
You remind me a lot of my dear college roommate who had a great cache of and appreciation for great beauty products. Mind you, she was a shower and go gal and didn't wear much other than a good moisturizer with sunscreen daily, but she had a treasure trove of goodies of beauty products that we would pull out and get excited over. It's fun. Sometimes my best products are my cheapest drugstore buys like my 99cent lipliner from Wet & Wild in color #666.
naughty.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Absolute must have for hair (available at Sally Beauty - not sold in the reg. stores) - Fermadol - I use #7 - they have various ones for various hair type.
Leave in conditioner. Make sure you shampoo w/ Netrogena anti residue shampoo first (even if you don't use the fermadol - it's a good idea to use this shampoo once every couple weeks or once a month. It strips your hair of all the shampoos & conditioners.

A nice light foundation for young skin that doesn't need a moisturizer in the foundation - Channel Teint Naturel liquid makeup.

Guys - from this old broad to you younguns. STAY OUT OF THE SUN! Also, exfoliate, use Alfa hydroxy (of some kind)& moisturize NOW! Drink at leasy 64 oz. of WATER a day. Eat right & exercise. Now is the time to take care of your skin because what you do now will have a direct result on what you look like when you are middle age.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy crap! I don't have half of the stuff you guys do in my required list.
2.gif
I am disturbingly very simple when it comes to beauty routine though at times I do go a little overboard when I become obsessed with aging well which then results in 5 new face cream purchases.

My big things are really hair and skin. Don't have alot of makeup...well I do but I am too lazy to really ever use it. I wear a touch of blush and neutral eyeshadows with lip gloss. That's my daily routine. Takes 2 minutes.
2.gif
Love the big brushes. When we go out, then I take some time to get dolled up, mascara (which bothers my contacts), shimmery eye shadow, multiple colors, etc. All my makeup is MAC though I do love the tried-and-true Cover Girl pink tube mascara...all the runway makeup artists use it and yanno, it's very classic and does the job. I tried others but this one is definitely the best for quickie application. However I never put it on just straight, it's too gloopy...I wipe it down on a paper towel until there is hardly any mascara left, then apply.

For hair I also use Redken..I use AllSoft Shampoo and Conditioner, Anti-Snap as well and also a host of various deep conditioning items by other companies. One is great in a purple and gray bottle...it makes my hair feel SO SOFT but I can't recall the name. Super expensive, use it once every other week. I also use K-Pak by I forget who which has been around forever, since I was 15 anyway.
2.gif
Used to use it then too. My hair was getting really dry because I highlight it AND straighten it...so my stylist made me take home about 3 items and use them every other time. A few months later and whala, hair is nice and shiny again!
1.gif

For face I have a host of products which I don't always use...sometimes I take breaks and then start up with them later. My mom has great skin and she has been using products since I was a baby..so I hope to have her type of great skin and youthful look when I am her age!
1.gif
I use La Prairie mostly for my face in terms of anti-aging and 'preservation'. I have both the Retexturizer and the Vitamin C Serum which actually burns slightly when you put it on...hee hee I kind of like it. They do different things, which I can't recall, but I can see tighter and fresher results the next day..it's really interesting. I don't really cleanse my face...but I also don't break out. Lucky I guess. Oh I also have La Prairie Eye Caviar... though I wonder if this actually does anything. Hee Hee.

For daily skin wear I put on different things...during the summer I used the Oil of Olay new regeneration creams with SPF 15 which were great. Now I feel like I need more moisturization so I put on Neutrogena lotion , the skin firming one, and then on top of that Estee Lauder Idealist Skin Refinisher, then my minimal makeup. Or sometimes I don't use the EL and instead use my La Prairie Skin Caviar creme.

I am obsessive about hand lotions and cremes since my hands are always dry, and I love lavender. So I use things like lavender shea butter creams and glycerine hand therapy in lavender..etc. I always have lotions on me or in the car for my hands.
2.gif

For body I am not super interested in anything but keeping my skin moisturized and soft. I use regular soap to clean (I think ivory) and in terms of lotions I have a bunch. The ones I use most are the Neutrogena Skin Firming (esp in summer!), Vaseline Aloe Vera and also their Dry Skin one as well. I actually mix the lotions sometimes with Neutrogena Body Oil and put that on...it's great when mixed esp during winter when my skin gets really dry. I don't like alot of scented body lotions, too much scent drives me insane. I also don't wear perfumes for this reason. My scented hand creams are as smelly as I get...hee hee.

So I guess that's it!
1.gif
I sometimes go in waves where I get really obsesssive about my skin and I put on all my creams at once. But I actually had this discussion with my girlfriend recently about skin crap and all the promises they make. I mean...how can you really put on so many things at once and have them all do what they are supposed to do? Lotion moisturizes, okay...that goes on first. So that definitely sinks into the skin. But then what about the eye cream, you pat that on after you put on 2 other things. Does it ever really get INTO your skin? Which is the best to put on first! It's so confusing.
2.gif

One other thing to note is definitely stay out of the sun or if you love the sun, love the sunscreen as well. Especially if you are fair, but even us darker skinned girls have to be careful. My mom has some sun spots on her face from when she was younger and she has to get all sorts of scary sounding peels and things to keep them from darkening, it's really odd. She is always telling me to watch my face. I, of course, did the sunbathing when I was a teenager until early/mid 20's with no sunscreen. Now I am super paranoid.
2.gif

Lastly, if you love the expensive stuff, try EBAY!! I get all my La Prairie stuff on there for less than 1/2 retail price. I would never pay retail for this stuff...I just wouldn't use it. So it allows me to get some of the really pricey items that I have heard people RAVE about and try them out for cheap, then buy in larger amounts on eBay and save tons. Something to consider.
2.gif

Oh and one more thing. Crest Whitening Strips are GREAT! We used them right before our engagement party and again we are giong to do them before the wedding...no yellow teethers for us!!! A little gross when you have them on (no making out), but result is excellent. Better than the paint on your teeth crap I tried.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I'm a redken all soft user also for different reasons then you though. It was my hairdresser that said every once in a while be sure to use the nuetrogena anti residue. The products won't work without it over time - too much build up.

And regarding the Fermodyl, I've been using it since college. My hairdresser jokes at my insider's knowledge when I really just stumbled by it. She charges $15.00 for the "super leave in conditioner". When bought at Sally's it's $7.00 for 3 applications. It was a french product bought by revelon - now the package says "Roux" & the company is Colomer (U.S. Spain & Canada). This is not a preference for Fluor diamonds. This really works.

Funny how many people love Neutrogena products. I have switched to their foundation. I used to be a boutique cosmetics snob. Over the years, I've learned to head to the walmart or target. I used to buy this special mascara for contacts. I was in a pinch one day while traveling & bought Maybeline's Great Lash (which I wore as a teen). I liked it so much; I switched. Also, Loreal is owned by Lancome. Some of the Lancome products are the same ones as the Loreal.

I'm a 5 minute makeup artist also. But, let me have a long bath w/ bath salts, a candle & a glass of good red - & I'm a happy camper - very relaxing. Relief of stress can be a big beauty tip.

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
Oh boy....let's see...

loopy.gif

cleanser: I have dry skin, so I use Chanel cleansing milk. It is really moisturizing, and since you wipe it off and don't use any water, it really helps to hydrate my parched skin (inherited from my Mom)

Facial Moisturizer: Chanel lotion for dry skin (I can't remember what it is called right this second) but I really like Loreal Active Daily Conditioner as well.

Facial Mask: I don't really use, because they dry my face out so much. I pretty much reserve masks for when I get a facial at a spa. The lady who does my facials recommended against any scrub mask because they tend to be very harsh, and I have sensitive skin.

Body Moisturizer:Easy one: Origins Ginger Souffle Body Cream. Smells DIVINE - like a mix of soft citrus & ginger..just a very clean scent. I can't stand anything from Bath & Body works, they give me headaches with their strong sweet smells. Second choice: Origins a Perfect World Highly hydrating body lotion with White Tea. Yum. My beloved likes to just hold me and smell me when I wear these soft lotions...and they make my skin sooooo smooth.

Sunscreen: - Jan Marini SPF 30...recommended by the lady who gives me my facials, and it is really nice. Has a quiet banana scent.

Foundation: Well, I change about once a year, but right now I am on Chanel Tient Universal. Seems to be great so far. I wear the second lightest shade. It doesn't seem to go very far though, and so it will probably be a quarterly purchase as opposed to my Smashbox foundation that lasted a year.

Concealer: you got me. My concealer has NO name on it. I got my makeup done one time at a spa, and I loved the concealer so I bought it, but didn't notice until I got home that there is no name on it. I will have to go back to that spa to get more when this runs out. It is in a small pot, but a tiny bit goes a lonnnng way.

Powder: I don't use any...I should to keep my makeup set, but I just don't bother.

Blush: Mac Angel blush. I also sometimes use some maybelline blush that I bought for a costume party I went to, but it is really pretty.

Eyeliner: Same story as the concealer. Bought them together, and they are apparently made by the Angels above because there is NO name on them. I need to just call and get the brand from the spa. I wear a mink brown - since I am fair, the black makes me look too hard core.

Mascara: Maybelline great lash in Black/brown

Lips: Can't live without chapstick, but my favorite gloss right now is Sisley Glossy Gloss in Grenedine. I generally go through phases and this category changes frequently.

Brushes: It's a mix of a bunch - Chanel, Mac, Prescriptives. Mac is what the majority of my brushes are. I love my Chanel Foundation brush though.

Soap: *sigh* *sniff* My favorite soap of all time has been discontinued...Garden Botanika Tangerine Glycerin soap. I bought 60 bars when I found out that they stopped making it, but now it is like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine buys the box of sponges & has to decide if the guy is "sponge worthy"...I have to decide if the day warrants using my special soap, or just boring old Zest. Most days it is Zest, because I can't stand knowing that I am using up my tangerine soap! I better start using it eventually or what's the point??

Shampoo & Conditioner: I am VERY picky about my shampoo & Conditioner. It has to make my hair bouncy & full and smell awesome, or I hate it. The ones I love are: Aveda Shampure, Kerastase Satin Bath #1, Framesi Biogenol entire line...that one is my all time favorite as far as smell, and body and conditioning.
1.gif

My biggest thing is soft skin & hair. I do not like helmet hair, so the hairspray I use HAS to be flexible hold. I only wear makeup on the weekends because it is all I can do to take a shower, throw my hair into a ponytail & run out the door to get to work on time. I think I am obsessed with the soft skin because my mom has super dry skin, and I inherited it to a lesser degree, and I don't like it at all. I am constantly moisturizing so that I don't look older than my 30 years (though I still get carded when I buy a drink, so I guess I don't look OLDER than 30).

Thanks for posting a fun one!

-PG
1.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...

Biotin tablets to keep hair skin and nails in decent shape.

Mix some vitamin C oil (from the capsules) into your face cream, whatever the brand. Will keep skin good.

I don't wear much makeup. I use Dr.Feelgood make up base normally, without the foundation, and kiss me mascara (it's new, and comes off only in warm water in little tubes, so you never have black circles).

I wear sheer but stainy lipsticks, in nude or blackberry or currant or copper.

I use some kind of blush/bronzer in powder form.

I wash with any kind of soap with a milk base, that includes my face.

I DO HOWEVER, get facials whenever I can afford them, when working about once every 6 weeks. I'm told my skin has the tone and elasticity of a 30 year old. I think this is because I'm not a sun worshipper, I've been good about sun screen, I don't smoke, and I drink plenty of water. I am, btw, going on 55. Again, it might be genes. Dunno. I might have just lucked out in the genes lotto.

win

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi Win,
I read a thread a while back where you mention that the pic you use for your avatar is contemporary! I can't believe you're 55! I agree with the lifestyle habits and all, but you are certainly gene endowed! Also, in your post, do you mean to say Vit C or Vit E oil straight from the capsule? I can see the reason behind both C and E, but I don't believe Vit C comes in oil. Good tips!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya iceprincess!

I just had to have a facial the other day and the technician gave me that tip. It's a rather high end day spa, so I'm assuming she knows her stuff. She said you can get the oil filled capsules at the pharmacy, so I guess they do fill capsules full of Vitamin C oil. I've yet to look for 'em, but was going to do that this week. She also said they sold them at the spa, at $60. a bottle (ouch!).

win

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Vit C in oil?! I guess the idea behind this is is that the Vit C helps turn over dead skin cells faster like in the fruit acids in some skin peels? Do you notice any stinging when you put this stuff on and do you have to avoid the eye area? Gosh, $60 sounds pretty hefty. I take about 3,000 mg of Vit C internally daily. God bless those cancer-fighting, anti-aging antioxidants!
1.gif

bht122

Rough_Rock
I love this thread!! I'm a makeup/skincare junkie!
I have dry, sensitve skin.

Here are my favs:

Cleanser - Sadly, I have not found my HG yet. I do like clearasil total control cleanser though.

Facial moisturizer - cetaphil

Facial Mask - Asprin--> I love this mask too!!

Body moisturizer - whatever's on sale

Treatment Product - Paula's Choice 1% BHA Solution -->sadly, this didn't work out for me...I really like Clinique's total turnaround creme though.

Sunscreen - oil of olay spf 15

Foundation - Illuminare for more coverage, Cover Girl aquasmooth mixed with aloe vera for sheer everyday wear

Concealer - Shu Umera or Cinema Secrets

Powder - bare minerals veil

Blush - Nars Orgasm, Mac Coy Girl

Eyeliner - Clinique, can't remember the name-its the one with the sponge tip

Eyeshadow - Don't wear eyeshadow everyday, but I like Revlon's Illuminance Cream's, MAC Paints, and MAC powder eyeshadows in general. (wow I like all of these!)

Mascara - I still haven't found a good mascara yet.

Lips - neutrogena -some nude color, can't remember the name now, clinique black honey, Chanel spark glossimer, neutrogena lip glosses

Brushes - Prescriptives makes a foundation brush that rocks (okay, you're starting to freak me out now, I use this everyday with the Aquasmooth) Bare Minerals brush is also a good blush brush.

Other Tools - Shiseido eyelash curler

Fragrance - Day - Thierry Mugler's Angel - My all-time favourite scent. DITTO!!!!
I also like Tartine Et Choclat (both versions)

Shampoo & Conditioner - I'm not picky. In fact, I really don't understand hair.

Leave-In Conditioner - never

Styling Product - american crew pomade for my spikey little flyaways.

Canadiangrrl, I can't believe how similar our beauty tastes are
1.gif

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
I've stayed away from most specialty products all my life (like eye creams, make-up, etc.). It was likely due to a frugal upbringing. Most of the stuff I do is likely not good for me.

For shampoo, I use Clairol's Herbal Essenses in the oily hair version or the Pantene Clairifying Shampoo when I need a switch (every few weeks or so). I use the bulk Herbal Essenses Conditioner in the normal/dry/permed variety. I mainly use these to strip my hair of any and all natural oils. I like it to squeak afterwards, but I'm sure this is bad. My hairdresser told me that my hair was too clean.

I don't wear any make-up out of laziness, but the stuff I do have was all recommended by the make-up lady at the MAC counter. I have the colours from two years ago still sitting in my bag. I should probably toss them soon as I'm not sure about the bacterial levels. They were only used a few times, once for a wedding, once over Christmas.... I didn't have to buy lipstick as I had one leftover from a Clinique sample. I remember it's called Cupcake and is probably discontinued.

I'm currently using Clinique soap for oily skin, but I find that way too drying. My moisturizer is the Biotherm Biovitamin 2. It's too young for me, but I liked the smell and it came with a free bag of products for my mom. My sunscreen is Vichy S-UV SPF 20. I like these two because they aren't too heavy.

Canadiangrrl or Paul's girl, where do you find the SPF 30 sunscreen? I'll try some of the moisturizers listed here too. I'm hoping to find a nice non-heavy night moisturizer, that doesn't smell terrible for less than $30.

Has anyone got a solution for staticky hair in winter? I have John Freida's Frizz Ease, but am not crazy about the smell.

Great thread, Canadiangrrl!
1.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pulp_Princess! Have you tried the Biosilk Silk Therapy serum that Canadiangrrl and I use? It works great for static-y hair, smells great, and makes your hair look shiny. You mentioned that you have oily skin and hair, so I would avoid using this product near your roots, just a dab at the ends of your hair. I would buy the smallest bottle (about $9.99 US) and see how you like it. For most people (not me though, hee hee!) this size should last you for quite a while.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies (and any men who may have wandered over).

I have so many products it's ridiculous. I switch around a lot, but here are my must-haves:

face:
moisturizer: Oil of Olay Age Defying with SPF 15
sunscreen (summer): Skinceuticals SPF 25
foundation: Jane Iredale powder
powder: MAC Blot (just on my nose)
eyeshadow: MAC paint in Stilife with MAC haux on top
eyeliner: Bobbi Brown Gel eyeliner
lipstick: Chanel Very Vamp (I love this!)
mascara: Maybelline Full and Soft

hair:
shampoo/conditioner: Suave's fake Nexxus or fake Biolage
curly stuff: Graham Webb's Making Waves
straight stuff: Redken Straight
antifrizz: Redken Outshine or Biosilk (me too!)

body:
sunscreen (summer): Coppertone Spectra
lotion: The Jergens one which reduces the time between shavings
other lotion: Curel
bodywash + loofah
pumice stone for feet

Wow, it takes a lot of stuff to keep me going!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh I also forgot to add body scrubs!! I love them--use them once a week in the shower to help exfoliate. I use one for my face one for my body...I love Philosophy's Guru. I also bought one at a local farmers market that is scented lavender with the best oils in it...it really helps during the winter when my skin gets really dry.
1.gif

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
Hi iceprincess,

That biosilk stuff sounds like something I'd like to try! Do you find it in specialty stores/counters, or can you find it at the drugstore/grocery store? What colour is the bottle? Is it okay to use it on the roots to flatten flyaway strands? I don't usually have oily hair, just I find that the ones geared towards an oily hair type cleans well. My hairstylist tells me not to use it though, and that it's too harsh. Lucky for him, I just heard that the Herbal Essences have discontinued that line.
1.gif
Now I'm looking for a new shampoo too! Thanks!

**edited to say that the line hasn't been discontinued, but was labeled as such in one store (???)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
One word for you gals w/ frizzy tendancy in moisture - or flyaway in dry weather - ionizer.

My new blowdryer has an ionizer & I can really tell the difference. Straighter, shinnier hair!

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pulp_Princess!
The Biosilk serum is now available in most drugstores like Drug Emporium, Longs, and SavOn. I used to buy this stuff at hair salons or discount beauty supply stores, but now you can find it in run-of-the-mill drugstores or supermarkets even.

Biosilk is a clear serum in a clear bottle with a black cap. I believe the company that puts out Biosilk is called Farouk. Biosilk also puts out shampoo and conditioner so you might find the serum amongst them. I use the stuff on my roots to help tame shorter flyaways.

I hope you enjoy your new hair products. I just love hearing everyone's beauty tips!
3.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
F&I,
You mentioned a great hair product called Fermadol #7. I went to my local beauty supply store to look for it and couldn't find it. Is this a hard to find item? I'll try Sally's next time. I bought a hair treatment remedy from Roux called Mendex that I'll try next week. I bought the Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo and I'll use it for a week before I deep condition. My hair IS bouncier since the Neutrogena.

BTW, while at the beauty supply store, I couldn't help but notice the products that you ladies had mentioned: Redken's All Soft shampoo, John Frieda's Frizz-Ease, American Crew pomade. They just sort of jumped out at me! I'll certainly try some of these once my current supply runs low.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Presently, Sally's is the only place I am able to find it. But, I did look at the package - here's some more info. It's "Fermodyl" - Roux is the manufacturer. There website is www.rouxblue.com. Their toll free number is 1-800-933-4303. Hope this helps.

Yeah, the neutrogena anti res. shampoo strips your hair of all the gunky build-up. I always use it before applying the Fermodyl. Glad to hear you have more bounce in your step.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun topic! I'm desperately in need of new fun stuff, so I'm looking forward to trying a few things listed.

Okay, I'm a busy mom, so I don't have as much time for pampering as I'd like, and also, since I don't work, there isn't pressure to have everything in its proper place, so at times my hair is a bit messed up and I may not end up changing out of my pajamas until noon. . .But, still here are a few things I use regularily to keep me looking fresh when I have baby food in my hair and drool running down my shoulder. .. .

First is internal things that I think keep my skin/hair/nails looking good (not fun per say, like make up stuff, but healthy and pure nutrient dense). . .

I take lots of EFA's in the form of flax seed oils, primrose oils, and regular consumption of fish, unrefined organic oils, etc.
Antioxidants: ester C, full spectrum vit E/selenium, Co Q 10, Green food supplements, etc.
Drink lots of water
Eat 7-8 servings of veggies and fruits.

I think all this stuff comes before face creams and all that stuff, so I spend most of my money on vitamins/supplements
1.gif

For beautiful nails, Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream is fundemental. It smells great and softens even the hardest of dried cuticles. It's just fun to put on after doing dishes or taking off polish.

Next Aquaphor by Eucerin is THEEE BEST ever in curing dried cracked heels. I love this stuff and put it on my feet before bed and stick socks on and VUALA, soft SENSUOUS feet! It's very greasy though, so apply with cotton pad/balls rather than your fingers.

Another must have, non cosmetic, especially after having kids is the Very Sexy Push Up Bra by Victoria's Secret. . .they WILL look perky and shapely, and EVERY man will turn his head when you're wearing this bra, most importantly YOURS
1.gif
naughty.gif

Okay, back to makeup . . .I love Cetaphil cleanser for face cleansing. It's gentle and cheap! The lotion, however, is about least flattering EVER. It leaves a greasy film and it's impossible to blend makeup over it. Funny how this company is so successful with one product and a complete and utter failure with the other.

So, lotion wise, Oil of Olay Complete is perfect. I tan easily, but don't want sun exposure/damage so I've been wearing this product for ten years and my skin still looks great. It's soft with very few lines (I'm 31, BTW). . .AND also, makeup blends easily over this lotion.

Makeup brands. . .the only two I purchase are Clinique and MAC. Clinique is ideal because it's cheap and MAC is fabulous for its color selections. So, for undereye concealer, I recommend Clinque's Advanced Concealer. Totally perks up dark tired eyes and if you dab a bit of lotion on first, it blends amazingly well. I also like buying face powders and more generic items from Clinque because their products are less expensive than other department store cosmetics, but made as well and they don't have a strong sent (like Lancome's powder - waaaay too strong smelling).

Mac has a vast selection of eyeshadows. Right now my favorite combination is Shale, a sparkily purple, with Brule, a light tan color. If you have green eyes, the Shale color makes a dramatic, sexy, look for night or day
1.gif

Other recommendations are lotions from Bath and Body Works. I own at least six different sets and I rotate them around for variety. Currently, the Aromatherapy line is my favorite and I think the Ylang-Ylang Myrrh has an exotic mysterious scent and the cream is nice and smooth. My husband picked this one out and I can't get enough of it. . .mmmmmm. . .
lickout.gif

These are the only products I swear by. I need new exfoliator as the one I loved, by Clinque, has been discontinued.
cry.gif
I hate when that happens. Seems all the best creations end up on the chopping block.

Also, I need new hair product ideas. Pantene, which I normally use, is fine. . .just fine, no better. Okay, it's a bit blah. . .time to test out the market for a fun new shampoo
9.gif

ADDED: I forgot, TWEEZERMAN for eyebrows IS A MUST. Eighteen bucks is a lot to spend for tweezers but these pluck everything, no matter how short the eyebrow is!

Michelle

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/23/2004 8:36:05 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

I need new exfoliator as the one I loved, by Clinque, has been discontinued.
cry.gif
I hate when that happens. Seems all the best creations end up on the chopping block.

----------------

6.gif
cry.gif
Which one? Are you sure they didn't just rename it? I've been using 7th day scrub since my 20's. Say it ain't so.

To the issue of brows - clear mascara. Well, it used to be that - the company got wise, renamed it "brow styling gel", downsized the package & raised the price. Maybelline makes it. Kinda like hairspray for your brows. Brushes them into place & keeps them there. Don't like hairspray - but I like this!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michelle...try eBay for the exfoliator you miss from Clinique. I have found alot of things on there...and also some websites like Strawberrynet I think is one...that sell beauty products. If you can find it again, buy it up in quantities. Find out if you can keep it 'fresh' longer so you can get more of it.

Also, you may be able to find a lab that will replicate it for you if you are really gung-ho...you would need to probably have the tube with ingredients and some of the cream...I believe there are places that do this...kind of like a create your own.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh great thread! For me:

Cleanser: Origins Mint Wash. I've tried many cleansers through the years, but, other than the late, lamented Donna Karan facial cleanser, this is the only one I've found that takes off everything--including eye makeup--without irritating my eyes. AND it's reasonably prices.

Lip balm: Clinique Superbalm. I have the worst dry lips and always have to have something on. And yes, I've tried them all. Waxy ones don't work. I was even disappointed in the oh-so expensive Laura Mercier Lip Silk. Superbalm is great. It seems like it's mainly petroleum-based, but without the yucky smell.

Sunscreen: I rarely wear makeup but I'm a stickler for my sunscreen. During weekdays, when I'm mainly inside, I put on Oil of Olay Complete on my face and neck, but I always put on a stronger sunblock on the back of my hands. Right now I'm using Vichy Capital Soleil SPF 60 with Mexoryl SX. You can't get it in the U.S. so I stocked up last time when I was in Vancouver. (Darn the FDA!) On weekends, when I'm outside more often, I use the Vichy on my face as well.

Loose powder: I can't really identify one, because I switch brands. Right now I'm using Calvin Klein, but I've also used Shiseido, Laura Mercier, and Origins. Since I stick sunscreen on my face daily I need the loose powder to absorb the grease.

Eyeliner: Origins in Coffee Bean. It's my perfect eye liner. I use smokier ones when I go out, but this one is the one I wear as a basic eyeliner.

Eyeshadow: Look in Sand. It coupled with the Origins eyeliner give me a very natural look with just enough extra oomph. You know, the kind of look that makes most guys think you're not wearing any makeup but that makes a significant enough difference over your "real" appearance. Sand is a pale beige that's just a shade or two darker than my natural skin.

Toothpaste: Tom's of Maine for me, too. Cinnamint.

Body Lotion: Kiss My Face Vitamin A&E or BWC (Beauty Without Cruelty) unscented.

Hair stuff: Suave aloe vera is looking to be our staple shampoo. I like the way it smells and it's cheap. I tend to use cheap shampoo, since it's gets washed away, so I can splurge on conditioner. We've been buying Redken All Soft for the last two years now.

Hand wash: Molton Brown Naran Ji. They changed the name some time ago to make it sound cooler, I guess. It's a naturally anti-bacterial hand wash (with grapefruit seed extract) and the only thing I've found that removes the smell of raw poultry from my hands.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

6.gif
cry.gif
Which one? Are you sure they didn't just rename it? I've been using 7th day scrub since my 20's. Say it ain't so.

----------------

F&I, It Ain't so
1.gif
lol Clinique is still making the Seven Day Scrub exfoliator. It was another one that I bought a few years ago and never used, then rediscovered it under my sink and went through the tube over a couple month period and then found out about it being discontinued. It's the gentle daily exfoliator or something like that. If I go downstairs to check for the name, my kids will cry and demand dinner (lol). . .

The Seven Day One is nice. . . I'm starting to get use to it.

Mara, Okay, thanks for the eBay suggestion. . .I'll search around a bit.

I looked at the La Prarie products on eBay out of curiosity and also because of what you said about your face feeling tighter. . .I'm intriqued! lol Sadly, there wasn't any Vit. C Serum on there so I'll have to wait for now
8.gif

How much do you generally pay for this and the retexterizer? I didn't have much time to look yesterday, but some of their stuff was just simply more than I'd want to spend, and from what I saw the cheaper stuff appeared mostly to be trial sized items (maybe I should look again to double check this???), so I'm wondering if I'll have to buy generic diapers and powdered milk for a couple weeks (lol) to afford the vit. c serum.

Michelle

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

Lip balm: Clinique Superbalm. I have the worst dry lips and always have to have something on. And yes, I've tried them all. Waxy ones don't work. I was even disappointed in the oh-so expensive Laura Mercier Lip Silk. Superbalm is great. It seems like it's mainly petroleum-based, but without the yucky smell. from my hands.----------------

mmmm. . .I'll have to try this one!
1.gif

Carmax works wonderfully but it has a smell! I do like the smell, but I'm betting many people don't.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I found my La Prairie stuff on eBay...I searched for a while. I setup 'alerts' so it would let me know when new things came around. I knew how much it went for in the stores and what I wanted to pay.

I actually tried a few trial sizes first to make sure I wanted it...then I got serious.
2.gif

What I ended up with in terms of the Vit C and the Rextexturizer was AWESOME. I ended up getting trial size packs: 50 of them for $69.99 (each). So I got both the VC and Rextexturizer. The total weight in terms of liquid was more than the retail size bottle AND it was about 1/2 price over retail. I was jazzed. It was one seller who had the exact ones I wanted, it was very random. So I then squeezed the packets into small La Prairie eye-caviar empty bottles I had and labelled them. So I can still use it without the hassle of tearing packets and letting things dry out. And it's perfect for travel because I just take a few packets with me! They are sealed so they last longer than something in a bottle.

I also got the Eye Caviar for $69.99 instead of the retail which was $100 and a few other things at similar costs. But it all lasts a long time...about one bottle a year for everything...so IMO it's worth it.
1.gif

Anyway...that's just an example of eBay creativity in terms of $$ and usefuleness. But I would try the trial size if I were you and see if you like it first!!
2.gif
Then you won't waste the $$ if you don't get the cool feeling I do. hee hee.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/24/2004 9:44:15 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

F&I, It Ain't so
1.gif
lol Clinique is still making the Seven Day Scrub exfoliator. It's the gentle daily exfoliator or something like that.
Michelle
----------------

How old is your skin & what type do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results