shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Latest Jewelry Purchases/Things You're Considering....

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband flies to Austin a couple of times a year for his job... I’ve always told him I’m going to tag along one of these days. Travel has not really resumed for his company yet unless absolutely necessary. Is that a 2-3 hour drive? I’ve been to Austin a couple of times, but never Houston!
Today, at this moment, here is my plan—I currently have 1.01 ctw G studs. I think I will sell my current stud diamonds and buy superideals to go in the current settings for the time being. The plan would be to upgrade to my final size—1.6-1.90 ctw (I really do have small lobes!) in the next year or so.
Another idea would be to buy low color NOW in my ultimate size and upgrade color in the future. But I have questions about color tolerance, so my first choice seems like the smarter choice for now. I really want that superideal sparkle on my ears! I don’t even know if WF or HPD (or any jeweler) would agree to use an old setting...

I bet they would. Maybe they will charge for the setting work, but who cares. As long as they'll use it.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My husband flies to Austin a couple of times a year for his job... I’ve always told him I’m going to tag along one of these days. Travel has not really resumed for his company yet unless absolutely necessary. Is that a 2-3 hour drive? I’ve been to Austin a couple of times, but never Houston!
Today, at this moment, here is my plan—I currently have 1.01 ctw G studs. I think I will sell my current stud diamonds and buy superideals to go in the current settings for the time being. The plan would be to upgrade to my final size—1.6-1.90 ctw (I really do have small lobes!) in the next year or so.
Another idea would be to buy low color NOW in my ultimate size and upgrade color in the future. But I have questions about color tolerance, so my first choice seems like the smarter choice for now. I really want that superideal sparkle on my ears! I don’t even know if WF or HPD (or any jeweler) would agree to use an old setting...

I think your plan sounds perfect. It is exactly what I'd do too! (I'd consider both the color grade plan and the same size plan -- I don't think you could go wrong with either.)

I don't know if you can reuse settings, I've never tried, but it doesn't hurt to ask your jeweler, or start a thread because PSers will surely know.

I do know that there is a bit of "wiggle room" in terms of diamond sizes fitting settings for stud earrings. My jeweler asked me if I want to buy a setting that is a size larger than my new diamonds and size the prongs down, or a size smaller and size up, because my diamonds are a weird in-between size. He said either will be safe and secure and not look odd.

Yes, do come to Houston when life permits! It is about a 2 hour 45 minute drive from Austin. There are also frequent and inexpensive 45 minute plane trips from the Austin to Houston airports. I'm serious that I'd be happy to show you around all the fun spots in Houston if you want to come and meet up. Or if you prefer to do it on your own (I totally get it might be weird to meet a stranger off the internet) then I'd be happy to make a list of not-to-miss fun jewelry stores for you to visit on your own. There are so many great places here, from iconic brands (Harry Winston, Van Cleef, Cartier, a flagship Tiffanys, Faberge, Bulgari, etc) to stores that focus on vintage/antique/estate, to one of-a-kind mom and pop places. There's even one thrift store that I always find treasures in! There's only so much bling browsing my hubby can take LOL so I'd love to go shopping with a fellow PSer!

Cheers!

Last edited:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your plan sounds perfect. It is exactly what I'd do too! (I'd consider both the color grade plan and the same size plan -- I don't think you could go wrong with either.)

I don't know if you can reuse settings, I've never tried, but it doesn't hurt to ask your jeweler, or start a thread because PSers will surely know.

I do know that there is a bit of "wiggle room" in terms of diamond sizes fitting settings for stud earrings. My jeweler asked me if I want to buy a setting that is a size larger than my new diamonds and size the prongs down, or a size smaller and size up, because my diamonds are a weird in-between size. He said either will be safe and secure and not look odd.

Yes, do come to Houston when life permits! It is about a 2 hour 45 minute drive from Austin. There are also frequent and inexpensive 45 minute plane trips from the Austin to Houston airports. I'm serious that I'd be happy to show you around all the fun spots in Houston if you want to come and meet up. Or if you prefer to do it on your own (I totally get it might be weird to meet a stranger off the internet) then I'd be happy to make a list of not-to-miss fun jewelry stores for you to visit on your own. There are so many great places here, from iconic brands (Harry Winston, Van Cleef, Cartier, a flagship Tiffanys, Faberge, Bulgari, etc) to stores that focus on vintage/antique/estate, to one of-a-kind mom and pop places. There's even one thrift store that I always find treasures in! There's only so much bling browsing my hubby can take LOL so I'd love to go shopping with a fellow PSer!

Cheers!

@RunningwithScissors I’d love to go browsing together someday! I’m excited about a big PE GTG again when the world is back to resembling normalcy.

I’ve been thinking about your comment about having a savings goal. I think the problem is that I’ve reached my goal (and surpassed it a bit), so now I’m second guessing things. It’s why I feel like my first option I mentioned just feels safer for now. I can enjoy quite a bump up in quality and bling factor while I decide what I might want to do next.... but until then, I’ll keep working hard and continue to save!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been thinking about your comment about having a savings goal. I think the problem is that I’ve reached my goal (and surpassed it a bit), so now I’m second guessing things.

Yay! That's awesome you've surpassed your goal!

Do you have a "master plan wish list"? Or do you prefer to research and purchase one goal piece of jewelry at a time, and then figure out what's next once that piece is purchased?

It is so darn difficult (or impossible) to go browsing these days. Otherwise, just trying pieces on in stores really helps me get a feel for what's out there, and what the parameters are for what works for me (what is too large, too small, too fancy, too plain, etc.)

But heck, you're doing the difficult work now of saving up. Once the world opens up, you will be in the catbird seat!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay! That's awesome you've surpassed your goal!

Do you have a "master plan wish list"? Or do you prefer to research and purchase one goal piece of jewelry at a time, and then figure out what's next once that piece is purchased?

It is so darn difficult (or impossible) to go browsing these days. Otherwise, just trying pieces on in stores really helps me get a feel for what's out there, and what the parameters are for what works for me (what is too large, too small, too fancy, too plain, etc.)

But heck, you're doing the difficult work now of saving up. Once the world opens up, you will be in the catbird seat!

I’m glad you asked about my wish list! :) I’ve been thinking of small huggies for quite awhile. I’d love input! For longer term, I would love a bangle. I also want a VCA vintage Alhambra pendant and the 5-motif sweet bracelet. I’m pretty sure those would be rose gold, but I plan to have fun trying all the metals! Maybe a holiday pendant one year would speak to me...

here are the huggie ideas—

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
My husband gifted me this ruby and diamond band for Christmas. It’s so hard to capture how red the rubies are and the diamonds really sparkle!

AC70D1EF-50C0-467B-B6D2-39C4944AF314.jpeg

@Diamond*Dana So pretty! My mom is eyeing on a similar setting from our local jewelry store but your setting is more delicate. Do you mind I ask what is the carat weight of the center stone? and is there a brand for your setting? I love yours and want to suggest this to my mom. Thanks a lot!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b can't wait to see the final product!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Diamond*Dana So pretty! My mom is eyeing on a similar setting from our local jewelry store but your setting is more delicate. Do you mind I ask what is the carat weight of the center stone? and is there a brand for your setting? I love yours and want to suggest this to my mom. Thanks a lot!

Thank you!
My center stone is .92. The setting is from Blue Nile. I was lucky to find it on eBay for way less than BN sells it for. It’s a pretty weighty setting for its delicate appearance.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These 2 skinny little pretty cuffs arrived today & I love them! They are from Lotus Stone on Etsy & are 1.5mm wide, one in sterling silver & one in solid 14ct yellow gold. My delicate RH bracelet collection seems to be getting a bit out of hand :lol:

Big shout out to @Minx7891 for putting me onto the shop - Kristen was a true gem to deal with, they fit perfectly & her work is so solid & yet so delicate.
PXL_20210210_135020265.jpg PXL_20210210_135030463~2.jpg PXL_20210210_135043225.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These 2 skinny little pretty cuffs arrived today & I love them! They are from Lotus Stone on Etsy & are 1.5mm wide, one in sterling silver & one in solid 14ct yellow gold. My delicate RH bracelet collection seems to be getting a bit out of hand :lol:
PXL_20210210_135020265.jpg

Oooooooo! Seems we have a new PriceScope bangle-bracelet queen!!

Love these! Go, @Alex T!!

Alex, serious question - has it ever occurred to you that you get a lot out of wrist decoration - maybe more than any other kind of jewelry? I know you have a ring, earrings and necklace that you love, but I wonder if - being so committed to a set number of pieces for those parts of your body - your wrists are seen as "Party Time!" to you?

Maybe the rest represent your classy, conservative self, but your wrists are where you get to show a different side of your personality?

It's an interesting thought! I love 'Wrist Alex'!

:wavey:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Big shout out to @Minx7891 for putting me onto the shop - Kristen was a true gem to deal with, they fit perfectly & her work is so solid & yet so delicate.
PXL_20210210_135020265.jpg PXL_20210210_135030463~2.jpg PXL_20210210_135043225.jpg

So pretty @Alex T !

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @lulu_ma !

And @mrs-b Hmmm.... I think you might be right, so call me Wrist Alex from now on! :lol:
I do feel a bit more expressive with bangles & bracelets, because as you know, I'm pretty sentimental & don't often change out my other things. But bracelets & bangles are fair game as long as they're good quality. I have a nickel allergy that brings me out in itchy hives, so I don't really like cheapy jewellery or costume stuff.

Now my question is, what else would look nice stacked with these 2 pretties? Maybe my little rubies on their tightest chain loop, which puts it snug to my wrist?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @lulu_ma !

And @mrs-b Hmmm.... I think you might be right, so call me Wrist Alex from now on! :lol:
I do feel a bit more expressive with bangles & bracelets, because as you know, I'm pretty sentimental & don't often change out my other things. But bracelets & bangles are fair game as long as they're good quality. I have a nickel allergy that brings me out in itchy hives, so I don't really like cheapy jewellery or costume stuff.

Now my question is, what else would look nice stacked with these 2 pretties? Maybe my little rubies on their tightest chain loop, which puts it snug to my wrist?

How do you feel about...pearls?? Now *there's* the black hole of spendy-spendy!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you feel about...pearls?? Now *there's* the black hole of spendy-spendy!!

Did you say... p...p....pearls??! :-o

I am FAR too clumsy & FAR too skint to jump down THAT rabbit hole :lol: I do own one (in Great Aunt's antique ring) but I'm always a bit twitchy when I wear it, in case I knock it or use the wrong hand soap or something that might damage it. I am awe of you gals who wear your pearl necklaces & bracelets so effortlessly & beautifully.

But I need hardy jewellery that can take a knock or two & a bit of shampoo lather. Perhaps I should consider wood..... :lol:

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!
My center stone is .92. The setting is from Blue Nile. I was lucky to find it on eBay for way less than BN sells it for. It’s a pretty weighty setting for its delicate appearance.

@Diamond*Dana Thanks you so much! It is such a nice ring! love it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am FAR too clumsy & FAR too skint to jump down THAT rabbit hole :lol: I do own one (in Great Aunt's antique ring) but I'm always a bit twitchy when I wear it, in case I knock it or use the wrong hand soap or something that might damage it. I am awe of you gals who wear your pearl necklaces & bracelets so effortlessly & beautifully.

But I need hardy jewellery that can take a knock or two & a bit of shampoo lather. Perhaps I should consider wood..... :lol:

I wanted to like this 50 times!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's nervous about wearing pearl jewelry! I have a beautiful necklace and bracelet set that my parents got me for my wedding. I wore them on my wedding day. Since then, they've been sitting in their boxes, only to see the light of day when I do my periodic maintenance check :(

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be re-making *this*. This one is bezel set, tho. The new one will be with claws. Center stone will also be ever so slightly larger. Not enough to make much of a visual difference, tho. All colorless VS/VVS super ideal sides. Center will be 1.38ct F VVS2 Ascendancy by Good Old Gold. 3.5ctw when complete.

SK ring_1_a.jpg

I'll be re-making *this*. This one is bezel set, tho. The new one will be with claws. Center stone will also be ever so slightly larger. Not enough to make much of a visual difference, tho. All colorless VS/VVS super ideal sides. Center will be 1.38ct F VVS2 Ascendancy by Good Old Gold. 3.5ctw when complete.

SK ring_1_a.jpg

OMG yaaaas. I love a good cluster!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results