shape
carat
color
clarity

Your impressions of this garnet. I’m a newbie, but it’s my birthstone.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I always have my eye out for a pretty red garnet when I am in any BM store. Since joining PS, I realize there are many types and colors of garnets. I’m guessing the rhodolites are one of the least expensive garnets as they seem to be the most prolific in BM stores. The darkness and dull look has always put me off. I just saw this ring on Gene’s site and was wondering what you think of it. I would set it as a casual, everyday type of ring.

I read the post on being new to CS, which I am. So, what do you think, or do you have any other suggestions. I could go up to around $750.

I also picked up a tourmaline from Gene about 2 weeks ago. It just came in so I will make another post about that because I would love some ideas for settings.

Thank you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! And if it isnt what you want IRL you can return

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, too. Rhodolite can be dark so I expect it will look more like the first photo in then listing most of the time.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I'm so used to looking at diamonds that I'm not sure about colored gems. I know Gary is someone you all trust with cutting, so maybe I'l contact him and get his IRL impression.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
So. I've made my inquiry to Gary. In the meantime, it says it should fit in a 9mm calibrated setting. Does that mean I don't need a custom setting for the octagon cut? Are there some vendors you would recommend where I could look for some ready made settings? Thanks.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Nice cut, though I would say medium dark in tone. Guess you won't know if you don't try it.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like a pretty stone! The old mine cut is very cool and isn’t something we see often. I find Gary’s hand shots of the stones to be very accurate. I hope you bought it since it’s now marked sold!
For settings you could check out Ivy and Rose, Aurosi Jewels on Etsy and NNJGemstones on Etsy. Those sellers should be able adjust any of their settings to fit your stone.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am a little too late to the party, but I think the stone is too dark, I have always thought of rhodolite the color of umba valley rhodalite which has a nice pinky winy color to it, much lighter than the one shown. These shapes usually require a custom setting. Better to buy the rhodolite in a ring, having been set already.
I just looked at JTV and saw some promising ones either in rings or just gemstones. You should take a look. Rhodolite is not an expensive gem.
If the stone is too dark from Gary, keep looking,

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do get it and you keep it. make sure whatever setting you get has prongs long enough to hold a high crown. I’m not sure if this stone has a high crown as there are no side views, but it’s something to consider

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your responses. I did order it after speaking with Gary about it. If I don't like it I can return it. What is JTV?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your responses. I did order it after speaking with Gary about it. If I don't like it I can return it. What is JTV?

JTV.com

It’s a television shopping channel that specializes in jewelry abs gems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results