shape
carat
color
clarity

Your honest opinions please (centerpieces)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm asking ofr florist qoutes to see if I can have all of my flowers done by someone else or if I want to do the centerpieces myself.

Since I chose Garre as the venue I had to change my centerpieces from low ones to high ones... but still keep it affordable.

THe flower colors are going to mimic my bouquet below:
The peonies in the bouquet replaced with english roses most likely as peonies aren't likely to be available.

Gypsy%20Bouquet%20Orange%20and%20Green%2009708089.jpg

And here is the centerpiece Idea:

Are they ugly? They gotten mixed reviews from people in my life. Some like them, some hate them.

I need something tall but not too flower intensive to keep costs down. The flowers will most likey be orange roses, white stock, green china berries or orange hypericum berries, lots of greens and green hydrangeas, some orchids, and some additional orange touches.

untitled centerpieces Gypsy 1.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love your bouquet...

The centerpieces....uh...ok, maybe I am not that artsy, but the first thing that came to mind was Edward Scissorhands. Don''t ask me why.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i like the bouquet too but totally no on the centerpiece. maybe this is harsh but it looks like they took the leftovers from the flower mart - no real cohesion to the look.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I admit I don''t love the tall green parts. They seem too random for the rest of the center piece and like it was two totally seperate centerpieces put together. Could you use bamboo stalks with spirals at the top so it is more "orderly" and matches the floral part better?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 1:03:41 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Love your bouquet...

The centerpieces....uh...ok, maybe I am not that artsy, but the first thing that came to mind was Edward Scissorhands. Don''t ask me why.

Why?

You made me laugh.
3.gif

"Artsy." More pondering ensues.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 1:06:57 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
I admit I don't love the tall green parts. They seem too random for the rest of the center piece and like it was two totally seperate centerpieces put together. Could you use bamboo stalks with spirals at the top so it is more 'orderly' and matches the floral part better?

Don't know about the bamboo BIH. I'll look into that though. Thanks!

Okay. This is really good. I think people IRL were trying to be polite. Apparently the centerpieces are not well liked.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone on the tall green parts. Maybe look into some willow branches. They have the same tall look but may match a little better.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 1:10:09 PM
Author: Gypsy

Love your bouquet...

Why?

You made me laugh.
3.gif

''Artsy.'' More pondering ensues.
Dunno...it looks so...Tim Burtonesque? Does that make sense? Like in the background I could see a haunted house, and the branches look like dead winter trees...but yet there are bright flowers trying to stay alive, but you know they''re about to wither. It''s creepy...

Personally Gupsy, I LOVE THEM !

And am doing something similar myself.... The picture you attached doesn''t exactly give a true idea.... the "BARNEY PURPLE" flowers are a little distracting to me, but I totally see your vision with the flowes you mentioned and I think the combo would look great.. yes, the twirly,branchy thing-a-ma-giggies in THAT pic are high and could be a little lower, but the general idea is quite pretty...

I have LOADS of pics of branch centerpieces, both with and without flowers... if you need or want any, just let me know !

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 1:15:54 PM

Date: 2/7/2008 1:10:09 PM

Love your bouquet...

Why?

You made me laugh.
3.gif

''Artsy.'' More pondering ensues.
Dunno...it looks so...Tim Burtonesque? Does that make sense? Like in the background I could see a haunted house, and the branches look like dead winter trees...but yet there are bright flowers trying to stay alive, but you know they''re about to wither. It''s creepy...

Huh. Okay. I can see that now that you explained. Thanks so much T-gal.

Those are green willow branches... I think with dried ones (brown ones) the affect would be worse. Back to the drawing board I''m thinking.

Browneyed girl... I''d love any suggestions from you or from anyone else. I do personally like the branch-ey look.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i don''t have a problem with the purple flowers, it is the other colored flowers that are sort of put here and there and in various colors that don''t really seem to go together. i also don''t think it goes with your bouquet - which i think is really beautiful. also the color of the branches is not meshing. maybe if they were brown - i have seen that look and it looks nice. the green branches just draw your eye and not in a good way. but that is just my opinion.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

We''re going "trees" for our centerpieces. Our inspiration photo is copyrighted, but it can be seen here. Click on "stunning decor projects". We actually just raided FI''s house and cut down 4-ft long branches with many splitting ends. We''re coating the branches with light gold paint, stringing faceted glass beads on the branches, and hanging lighted candles in them. We''re going to "spot" the trees with flowers...haven''t decided if we''re going to string them like the beads or bunch them in groups on the branch tops.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think branchy stuff is cool. I guess with weddings, I like to see live, fresh things and not branches with no leaves (which I consider kind of dead.) But either way, I know you will come up with something fab.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I think your flowers in your centerpiece need to be taller to work with the curly willow. Here's a picture someone else on PS posted that I liked. With the longer flowers it doesn't look as choppy. To me the centerpices look like the willow was a last minute thought to add height instead of part of the design.

ETA: I think the vase looks a little too wide too.

curlywil.jpg

bensbride

Brilliant_Rock
I think the flowers will be awesome, but I agree that the purple in the picture is distracting and its hard to imagine your much more beautiful color choices.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 1:25:41 PM
Author: ringster
i don''t have a problem with the purple flowers, it is the other colored flowers that are sort of put here and there and in various colors that don''t really seem to go together. i also don''t think it goes with your bouquet - which i think is really beautiful. also the color of the branches is not meshing. maybe if they were brown - i have seen that look and it looks nice. the green branches just draw your eye and not in a good way. but that is just my opinion.

Well the colors would match my bouquet. No blue or purple in there-- just green white and orange. There would be lots of green in the flowers around the green branches, and the orange would be the accent. I do think that having orchid sprays extend up into the branches would look a little better. One of the comments I got is that the centerpieces look like round bouquets with random branches or a naked tree stuck into them and that the parts look to separate.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I worked in a really nice flower shop for a year.. The lady who owned it would probably say that that arrangement is too tight. She''s kind of artsy and says each flower needs to "speak for itself." That arrangement to me just seems like some pretty flowers thrown into a vase without real thought put into it. I do love the colors and curly willow. Hydrangea is absolutely my favorite.

I would go for a similar look, but the arrangement would need to open up a lot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 1:58:30 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
I worked in a really nice flower shop for a year.. The lady who owned it would probably say that that arrangement is too tight. She''s kind of artsy and says each flower needs to ''speak for itself.'' That arrangement to me just seems like some pretty flowers thrown into a vase without real thought put into it. I do love the colors and curly willow. Hydrangea is absolutely my favorite.

I would go for a similar look, but the arrangement would need to open up a lot.
I agree with that fully. Okay. So something less tight. Okay. let''s see what I can come up with.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really don''t like the tall green bits sticking out the top. I second someones suggestion of bamboo. I adore your bouquet, but really not the centerpieces. I agree with TGal in that I like to see live things at weddings ie, branches with leaves etc.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Also, I think the reason some of the people dislike the curly willow so much is because there is a LOT of it. I think less can be so much more. If there were about half of that amount it would look better. Curly willow can also come in a variety of colors.. Greens, browns, orange/brown..

I also agree that the vase is a little wide.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I''m doing something similar to that for my centerpieces, except I''m using curly willow for branches, red flowers, and a shorter vase (so people can see each other). so in other words, I like!

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 1:31:16 PM
Author: sap483
I think your flowers in your centerpiece need to be taller to work with the curly willow. Here's a picture someone else on PS posted that I liked. With the longer flowers it doesn't look as choppy. To me the centerpices look like the willow was a last minute thought to add height instead of part of the design.

ETA: I think the vase looks a little too wide too.

Exactly! I like the idea of the branches. Agreed it would flow better with some taller flowers added to the bunch. And as others said, not such a "tight" arrangement.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I agree about it looking too "tight". There''s no coherence in the centerpiece at all. There''s a pom-pom of flowers at the bottom, and they suddenly disappear into tall and curly willow branches. I think it could work, but the flowers and the branches would need to be blended a little better.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE your bouquet!! I also love the curly willow, but i think i''m having the same issue as some other folks -- the balance of the arrangement seems a bit off. i really like what sap posted above -- the looser flowers at the bottom seem like a better balance. when i was at the florist doing my samples i saw them do one for another bride that was beautiful -- curly willow in a tall rectangular vase with rocks in the bottom, and then the willow had small orchids wired onto it with superfine invisible wire so it looked like the blooms were actually growing from the tree. then there were some sprays of orchids at the mouth of the vase like the pic sap posted. it was sculptural, natural, and the family''s whole discussion while they were there was about saving some money since they are not flower-heavy arrangements. The orchids came in all different colors.
I''m doing curly willow stuck into oasis so it looks like a tree, with hanging lights also like the pic above. I will post sample pics soon.

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, I love your bouquet. I like the peonies, english roses or teddy bear Helianthus annus would make great substitutes.

I like the idea of the centerpieces, but I don''t like the look of this one. I think the flowers at the bottom are too tight and too low.

If orchids aren''t too expensive, you could use them to give more depth to the arrangement

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 4:02:52 PM
Author: enbcfsobe
I LOVE your bouquet!! I also love the curly willow, but i think i''m having the same issue as some other folks -- the balance of the arrangement seems a bit off. i really like what sap posted above -- the looser flowers at the bottom seem like a better balance. when i was at the florist doing my samples i saw them do one for another bride that was beautiful -- curly willow in a tall rectangular vase with rocks in the bottom, and then the willow had small orchids wired onto it with superfine invisible wire so it looked like the blooms were actually growing from the tree. then there were some sprays of orchids at the mouth of the vase like the pic sap posted. it was sculptural, natural, and the family''s whole discussion while they were there was about saving some money since they are not flower-heavy arrangements. The orchids came in all different colors.

I''m doing curly willow stuck into oasis so it looks like a tree, with hanging lights also like the pic above. I will post sample pics soon.

Wow, I was thinking of having the orchids drape down, but I like this idea a whole lot better.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m still looking for pics of the not so tight look I want, using different flowers instead of all one flower type.

Here''s one, it''s not exactly what I want, but it is looser.

alternate centerpiece gypsy.jpg

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
I like this one better than the first.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I like that one better too! One of the things about the arrangement I described above (I will try to find a picture that is similar) is that it was in a really tall vase, but the way the willow was in there it wasn''t packed in tight -- it fell loosely against the sides of the vase. That was one of the other things in the initial sample -- it was so packed in the bottom with willow stems. I like the idea that the bottom part of the tall arrangement is a little more see-through.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2008 4:26:21 PM
I''m still looking for pics of the not so tight look I want, using different flowers instead of all one flower type.

Here''s one, it''s not exactly what I want, but it is looser.
This one (or something similar) looks tens times prettier. I LOVE your bouqet Gypsy! It''s gorgeous! I wasn''t crazy about the first centerpiece you posted because the flowers seemed to be jammed into the vase with the branches. It didn''t seem like anything really went together, if that makes sense. I love how the second one is more open and it seems like it would be lighter somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results