shape
carat
color
clarity

Your favourite cutting styles for gemstones

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love round, oval, and cushion cut. However, I realized that there are so many varieties of these cut. I am looking for my ideal round, oval, and cushion cut. Please share your favourite cutting styles.

This is one of my favourite round cut.

SAP214f.jpg

I have an oval stone to be recut. I am still searching the perfect oval cut.

Thank you.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love:

Rounds: BARRY! For his chunky faceting. And Gene for nicetall crowns which sparkle like craaaaazy.

Oval: Barry supernovas. That said, I am not too fond of ovals in general.

Cushions: For cushions I like mixed cuts for some reason. I don't know why. I just prefer step cut pavillion.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For ovals I like Concave cutting and John Dyer fantasy cuts. They seem to help overcome the oval performance issues.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yavorskyy cushions also have a distinct loook. I thought I liked that untill I saw some in real life. I saw some issues w tilt windows that I did not expect. They are cut differently with different angles and facet arrangement. I way prefer native cut style cushions.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love round, oval, and cushion cut. However, I realized that there are so many varieties of these cut. I am looking for my ideal round, oval, and cushion cut. Please share your favourite cutting styles.

SAP214f.jpg

Thank you.

If the stone has sufficient depth, Please consider the supernova!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the stone has sufficient depth, Please consider the supernova!

Too bad I can't find a video of the supernova cut. I would like to see how the light returned from a supernova cut

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Super Nova has been around for some time, there are variations of it for various length to width ratios. Here is one for a standard 8x6 ratio.

I have never been a fan of this design, as there are many other ovals with much better performance.

SuperNova.png

The design was originally set up for quartz, which has a refractive index of 1.54. As you can see in this ray trace, the performance is quartz is pretty bad.

SNQuartz.png

It gets a little better in garnet, like this tsavorite

SNTsavorite.png

I still wouldn't use it. In Zircon it works a bit better, but not something I would cut often.

SNzircon.png

The design makes for an odd way of laying out the facets on the pavilion which creates more work than the results warrant.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yavorskyy cushions also have a distinct loook. I thought I liked that untill I saw some in real life. I saw some issues w tilt windows that I did not expect. They are cut differently with different angles and facet arrangement. I way prefer native cut style cushions.

I know this is old - so please forgive me
But do you remember what gemstone variety(s) it was you saw with the tilt windows that bothered you, in the Yavorskyy?
I wonder if it’s suited to one variety over another?

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock

SAP214f.jpg

Thank you.
Love this stone - every bit of it!

voce

Ideal_Rock
My favorite cut is the concave cut. In any shape. I think that it looks good no matter the gem type or the shape.

Second favorite is the OEC for rounds, but it's not suitable for all gems.

Third favorite would be Asscher. Not sure there would be different cutting styles or facet patterns for them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscher

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results