shape
carat
color
clarity

Your China pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
What China pattern did you choose? Traditional, modern, none at all? Please post a pic!!

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
We just picked ours out the other day... It was a terrible experience bcs we absolutely could care less for china - we will never use it... But the FFIL insisted we pick out out so....

http://www.royaldoulton.com/product/productdetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441777601&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574488339651&bmUID=1232507110949&bmLocale=en_CA

I am still debating taking it off the registry cause I know we will NEVER use it. The other day I saw this new collection by Martha Stewart - I love it but they don't carry it in Canada yet.

http://www.macys.com/catalog/index.ognc?CategoryID=34363&PartnerID=MARTHA&BannerID=m188&PageID=147590610539774

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE this-it is Kate Spade. I still am deciding if FI and I will register for china though I am leaning more towards it.

305159_fpx.jpg

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:04:38 PM
Author: Blair138
I LOVE this-it is Kate Spade. I still am deciding if FI and I will register for china though I am leaning more towards it.

I LOVE that one too but the FI doesn''t want anything girly!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
We haven''t registered yet but my favourite is Monique Ihuillier''s collection for Royale Doulton.

Here''s the Etoile Platinum Collection.

MLEtoilePlatinum.jpg

meresal

Ideal_Rock
ILTW- FI said the same thing about the Kate Spade, and we worried that they might look Christmas'y. However in person, we liked the color, but in the end wanted something more traditional.

Also, we don't plan on using ours other than Christmas, possibly Easter, and Thanksgiving dinners. Would you be hosting family for these occassions?

CDNinNYC- I saw these yesterday when FI and I went to pick ours out, and they are gorgeous. I love the color of the trim. They were a little out of our price point.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
haha, ILTW, your FI sounds like mine. I laid down the law and said that there are just some things that have to be girly and he may have to deal with a few flowers here and there.
9.gif
He said OK. Then I agreed to let him register for some crazy man things that he wants at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Meresal I do agree it kind of looks Christmasy but I love it so much that it will grow on me. And we will probably use it more at Christmas too so it works out. I was looking at all the matching stemware and serving platters and cannot wait to register for it now!

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:27:33 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
We haven''t registered yet but my favourite is Monique Ihuillier''s collection for Royale Doulton.

Here''s the Etoile Platinum Collection.
Ooh very pretty :)

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
We registered for something simple, but classic. To make it more modern, we are going with a square salad plate.

It's Lenox Solitare.

25622104294C.JPG

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
Here is the square salad plate (instead of the round one)

ETA: Sorry so big!

solataire_lpasquare.jpg

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i dont think we are getting china as we recently got a new stoneware dish set that looks very nice as well :) heres a picture
You can pair it with any color napkin and it looks really modern :)

41QyUBaznbL._AA400_.jpg

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i also wanted to include the glasses we got to go with the dishes because i love them so much, we also got some really cool modern silverware but i really dont need to post that unless you want to see it lol

41QQK2ZNTTL._AA400_.jpg

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
none at all.

we just don''t have any room in our apartment to put anything...plus my corelle dishes work just fine ;-)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
None at all. We have white dishes that we really like ($50 for the entire set and they're actually heavy and expensive looking) and I don't think we'd ever use a second set of "nice" china; it would just take up room in the basement. Someday when our current dishes wear out, I'm sure we'll buy nicer dishes to use as our main dishes, but we'll just pay for it ourselves when that time comes.

With that said, if I was picking out china, I would go for something all white with a simple modern pattern. I really like having simple dishes that you can dress up by getting oddly shaped pieces (like square bowls or something) or bright colors (my mom buys bright Fiestaware type bowls to go with her plain white dishes and it looks really cute). I like the versatility.

ETA: Our house is already like a Williams-Sonoma store, so we're registering for our honeymoon instead of home goods. That's the other reason we're not registering for china. If we were registering for home goods, we might do the china thing just for something to put on the registry.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Royal by Castleton: My grandmother picked this china out in the 40''s for her marriage to my grandfather. It is a creamy ivory color and has a gold rim with a beaded texture. I love it, and asked my mother if she would leave it to me. She said that she would just give it to me when I get married, and then I don''t need to register for china.

My fiance isn''t crazy about it, but he doesn''t want any china at all, so he said he would be happy to let me pick this since it means something to me. I might get an additional serving piece or something since my grandmother used her sterling for serving dishes, but the set is pretty much complete... with more pieces than I would know what to do with and extras in case one breaks.

royalcastleton.jpg

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Ok - I hope these pics aren''t too big....

I went with Wedgwood Nantucket Basket as my china pattern - we use it as our everyday dishes as they are microwave and dishwasher safe - we absolutely love them - they are beautiful. Our crystal is Vera Wang Duchesse and our flatware is Oneida Easton. We love the whole combination and can dress it up or down as we please!

China:

NANTUCKET BASKET.jpg

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Crystal:

VERA WANG DUCHESSE CRYSTAL.jpg

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Flatware:

ONEIDA EASTON.jpg

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
China patterns have been consuming my thoughts as well as we are starting our registry.

My mom and FMIL FLIPPED out when I told them we might not be getting china. They said we would regret it if we didn''t, so we are registering for something simple along the lines of what blackpolkadot posted. I''m inheriting my mom and dad''s wedding china which I really like, but I don''t think my FI is crazy about it. I only envision using it for Christmas, Easter and T''giving dinners as Meresal said.

We aren''t registering for crystal, much to my mom and FMIL''s chagrin. I just personally don''t like the look of crystal.

For quasi-special occasions, we are registering for silver chargers to put under our plain white Crate and Barrel plates to dress them up. I''m looking forward to doing that more than using the china!

The lady where I registered said that more and more girls these days aren''t registering for china or crystal. Don''t know why. I view it kind of as a right of passage...it''s just something you do so you can pull out your "wedding china". But I won''t use it a lot.

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
We did not register for any china. We did pick out nice everyday dishes from Pottery Barn. My mom had china that was given to her from her aunt, and one day those will be passed to me, possibly for my wedding. I LOVE the pattern they are, and couldn''t actually find anything I liked as much in the stores. I''ll see if I can find a pic this afternoon.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Inheriting the family set of Desert Rose by Franciscan China 1941 - 1984.

"Desert Rose" the best-selling pattern in the history of American dinnerware. It has enjoyed the world''s largest period of popularity of any dinnerware pattern produced by a single company. "Desert Rose" made its debut in 1941. In 1964, the sixty millionth piece had been produced and Desert Rose is now on display at the historical Smithsonian Museum. First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy chose "Franciscan Desert Rose" for use in the White House.

desertrosechina.jpg

courtney5638

Rough_Rock
We ended up going with no china. We picked out a nice set of everyday dishes that we really like. I just don''t see us ever having the chance to really use it, especially as we just moved across the country, so family won''t be visiting for holidays very much. But all the pictures you ladies have posted make me want to go update my registry
31.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I choose John Lewis'' plain white bone china - it''s microwave and dishwasher safe and I don''t need to remortgage the house if I break something.

For flatware I choose designer Robert Welch''s Stanton pattern.

Glassware I went with John Lewis'' own label collection - although I do have some pieces (whiskey & brandy glasses) by Villeroy & Boch.

Eventually I will buy a set of antique sterling flatware - I collect antique English silver and have always wanted one in Old English pattern, which is very simple in style and sadly extremely popular and thus commands a premium.
15.gif

My china:

panwhitechina.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My cutlery:

panflatware.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
None.

FI bought me a 4 piece set from Pottery Barn''s "Great White" collection for our first Christmas together. He''s told me that he''ll make it an 8 piece set--just so that I won''t add Pottery Barn as another store to register at.

However I''m inheriting my mom''s china--I''m not sure of the pattern, otherwise I''d post it. She also has a collection of Christmas dishes-they have a giant Christmas tree on them.

And I have a full 8 piece set of Depression glass in pink "Sharon"/"Cabbage Rose".

And that''s all on top of our everyday stuff. So I won''t be registering for china. Serving dishes are another matter however!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ladies!! Though, I didn't relaize so many people weren't doing China anymore.
Pandora: You plates and flatware look gorgeous together.

Thank you for sharing, we couldn't decide which way to lean, and I finally made a decision today. We decided that we wanted something traditional, that could hopefully be passed down for ages. It is Noritake "Montvale Platinum". The picture looks like the trim is pink... I assure you it is NOT.
3.gif

montvaleplat.2.jpg

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
We already have a set of very simple platinum-banded china, and we registered for some casual dishware that''s a little more colorful. I just don''t see myself having formal dinners with formal china (and hand-washing all the dishes)!
Also, my fiance is somewhat ascetic and keeps freaking out that we have too much kitchen stuff (and threatening to throw away half of our glasses and plates!).

Freke, I LOVE Depression glass. Love!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 1:01:11 PM
Author: FrekeChild
None.

FI bought me a 4 piece set from Pottery Barn''s ''Great White'' collection for our first Christmas together. He''s told me that he''ll make it an 8 piece set--just so that I won''t add Pottery Barn as another store to register at.

However I''m inheriting my mom''s china--I''m not sure of the pattern, otherwise I''d post it. She also has a collection of Christmas dishes-they have a giant Christmas tree on them.

And I have a full 8 piece set of Depression glass in pink ''Sharon''/''Cabbage Rose''.

And that''s all on top of our everyday stuff. So I won''t be registering for china. Serving dishes are another matter however!
Do you have any pictures??

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Here is mine - Wedgewood "Jasper Conran" for everyday:

wedgwood-jasper-conran.jpg

Vera Wang Blanc Sur Blanc for formal (yes, they look similar :)
blanc%20sur%20blanc.jpg

blanc%20sur%20blanc%20sugar%20bowl.jpg

Kate Spade "June Lane" Accent plate:

accent%20plate%20june%20lane.jpg

And here is our silver:

sambonet%20flatware.jpg

We originally had crystal but traded it in for more of the china/silver. I''d rather have a great wine glass than fancy crystal (right now anyways). I love crystal though - so pretty on a table!

amcgookin

Shiny_Rock
We went with the Lenox "Voila" set that can be everyday or dressed up for fine dining. It''s great cause it can go in the dishwafter and microwave. I registered for some silver chargers to fancy it up. My FMIL is giving us a really nice china set from her mother so I wanted to pick something a little bit more modern.

Lenox Voila.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results