shape
carat
color
clarity

Your avatar is talking to me..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I know this is a dorky thought/comment, but does anyone else "see" a poster''s avatar talking when reading the post? What I mean by that is since I don''t know know what most of you look like, I associate you with your avatar. The diamond ones don''t do it for me, but for example, MrsSalvo''s cute dog: I have no clue what she looks like so whenever I read her posts, I just picture the dog. Same with Allycat''s little horned kitty. And for the longest time, I could only picture Mara with a beret on!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha, that''s so funny! I totally associate people with their avatars, and also their screen names. I met Blenheim and Catmom in person a few weeks ago and I think I actually called them Blenheim and Catmom all day!

Another funny thing is when you meet someone for the first time that you''ve had previous contact with and you''re like--NO! You''re all *wrong*! I used to work for a big corporation where it could be months or years before I would meet someone in person that I had talked to on the phone all that time and sometimes it was very disconcerting.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 4:12:41 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Ha ha, that''s so funny! I totally associate people with their avatars, and also their screen names. I met Blenheim and Catmom in person a few weeks ago and I think I actually called them Blenheim and Catmom all day!

Another funny thing is when you meet someone for the first time that you''ve had previous contact with and you''re like--NO! You''re all *wrong*! I used to work for a big corporation where it could be months or years before I would meet someone in person that I had talked to on the phone all that time and sometimes it was very disconcerting.
Hm...maybe I should change mine then...because I''m just an "old bag."

LOL about people being *wrong*. That only happened to me once...where I was completely off the mark. It was a business contact, and it was all I could do to not be agog the entire meeting.

I was just thinking about it today since I have been posting more here since I haven''t been traveling for work. PS is my water cooler, and I "talk" to folks here more than I do some people in my real life. And yet I''m talking to dogs, cats, and flowers!! Oh, and of course, very beautiful diamonds...
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 4:16:06 PM
Author: Mara
31.gif
Oh my god...I am laughing so hard.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2006 4:07:21 PM
Author:TravelingGal
And for the longest time, I could only picture Mara with a beret on!

Do you remember Mara''s avatar with the really long legs and the sexy boots? That''s my image of her!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal,

You're so cute! Actually yes, the avatars talk to me to. ESPECIALLY the animal ones. DeeJay's Demon Dog wearing a HUGE rock around her throat. And Mrssalvo's dog, and Demzla's beloved Howard.

If someone doesn't have an animal, I tend to try and hunt down a picture in real life. I actually saw you on the hair-trial thread, you gorgeous girl! Actually sometimes I'm shocked because I would have never guess in a MILLION years you were asian. You seem so free-spirited and adventerous and gave one of my favorite "how we met" stories...I've actually told it to some of my friends
1.gif

Mara: that's a risky little outfit you're wearing there.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 4:17:38 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 9/14/2006 4:07:21 PM
Author:TravelingGal
And for the longest time, I could only picture Mara with a beret on!

Do you remember Mara''s avatar with the really long legs and the sexy boots? That''s my image of her!
Well yes, but then she became the beret girl with boots on.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 4:17:47 PM
Author: allycat0303
TravelingGal,

You''re so cute! Actually yes, the avatars talk to me to. ESPECIALLY the animal ones. DeeJay''s Demon Dog wearing a HUGE rock around her throat. And Mrssalvo''s dog, and Demzla''s beloved Howard.

If someone doesn''t have an animal, I tend to try and hunt down a picture in real life. I actually saw you on the hair-trial thread, you gorgeous girl! Actually sometimes I''m shocked because I would have never guess in a MILLION years you were asian. You seem so free-spirited and adventerous and gave one of my favorite ''how we met'' stories...I''ve actually told it to some of my friends
1.gif

Mara: that''s a risky little outfit you''re wearing there.
Thanks Ally...and I do know what you look like too. Didn''t surprise me you were tiny and so pretty. Your man''s quite hubba hubba too!

Kind of funny that we asians are not exactly known to be free-spirited and adventurous eh? I always tell guys they are in for a shock if they are marrying asian women for their submissiveness, because once the deal is done, the second head grows. Muahahahahaha...........
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha it's so true about the avatars.

for the longest time alj's was 'velma' from scooby doo (and i was daphne with boots) and for 2 years i thought of her as looking just like velma. even after i saw photos of her i still thought she looked like velma!!! of course now after meeting with her multiple times and hanging out, her image is firmly planted in my head but for years it was VELMA even though i knew what she looked like. it's crazy what the brain can hang onto!!

also what about finding out things like people's race or age and being completely surprised. recently i read someone's age on here and i was floored she was much older than i thought, because her posts sound young. and someone on here recently said that they thought that *I* was an 'older motherly type' based on how i write my posts...hahaa.
6.gif
and in my thread a while back where i posted a pic of me, someone said they always thought that i was blonde with blue eyes! too funny how we come up with these mental concepts of people!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock

TravelinGal,

Well I never associate asian girls as being free-spirited and adventerous. I think of them as being more reserved and constrained by their culture (as I am, I''m a bit of a stereotype) But I already have the second head. The last thing my boyfriend would call me is meek and submissive.

Now tell me something even more crazy. Is your fiancé non-asian? You''re just tearing my whole image of you to pieces right now

2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, Alj is STILL velma to me. Haven''t been able to shake that one at all. And older motherly type? Errr...no.

Ally, no, you definitely don''t seem meek and submissive, and that is a good thing! I actually had a first date (with yellow fever) ask me if I cook and commented that I laughed too heartily. I kid you not. No second date for you, mofo.

My fiance is an Australian white boy. Dark hair, skin with olive undertones, and dark eyes. Did you think he was asian?

And I grew up allowed to be a tomboy, which helps the whole free spirit thing. While all the other asian girls took ballet because it was proper, my parents let me take TaeKwonDo with the boys. I drove my piano teacher from the house screaming at me in tears, and years later my parents found out I actually have a talent for the drums.
40.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe Traveling gal, I associate people all the time with their avatars and it throws me when someone changes. I think Firegoddess recently changed to a ring picture that Irina did for her of her ring and it was similar to mara''s and they use the same font
6.gif
so when I was reading FG''s I was thinking it was mara and then mara popped in
37.gif
. I eventually get used to the new one''s but I agree the non jewelry one''s stick out the most.

I just like seeing my doggie in the little box
9.gif

there was a thread about avatars a while back and how we imagine people to look. I think several people thought I was blond and my hair is dark brown.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
TG I can't shake it - the first time I saw your av I thought it was a girl, with long black hair, and tight black pants wearing a blue vest - strapped on and ready to go - sitting backwards on a chair unable to see her face. See the skinny little leg on the left?

Probably the third time I saw it for what the picture really is - a well traveled bag in a chair. But I cannot escape my first impression.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 4:52:05 PM
Author: Starset Princess
TG I can''t shake it - the first time I saw your av I thought it was a girl, with long black hair, and tight black pants wearing a blue vest - strapped on and ready to go - sitting backwards on a chair unable to see her face. See the skinny little leg on the left?

Probably the third time I saw it for what the picture really is - a well traveled bag in a chair. But I cannot escape my first impression.

me too, starset...that''s exactly what i thought too, i can still see the girl just as easily as the bag
37.gif
41.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 4:55:35 PM
Author: mrssalvo

TG I can''t shake it - the first time I saw your av I thought it was a girl, with long black hair, and tight black pants wearing a blue vest - strapped on and ready to go - sitting backwards on a chair unable to see her face. See the skinny little leg on the left?

me too, starset...that''s exactly what i thought too, i can still see the girl just as easily as the bag
37.gif
41.gif
this is EXACTLY what i saw too!! i was actually about to type it then realized yall saw it too!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
TravelinGal,

I think if you two decide to have babies they are going to be STUNNING!

In real life I''m very shy, I don''t talk loud or often but I have a strong sense of self. And I''m willing to make major waves if I believe the issue is important. And don''t get me mad because I have monstrous pride, and I''m the last person to back down from a fight.

The yellow fever thing is intresting though, I''ve met a lot of people that have accused my boyfriend of having "yellow fever" I honestly am shocked that you are asian though. Your story is like my "dream meeting for future husband" so romantic and spontaneous. My boyfriend always said "well it sure beats meeting in high school"
2.gif
You must post some pics after you get married. I''m literally dying of curiosity now.
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i will be the dork of the day and fess up that until today i could never figure out what TG''s avatar was. i thought it loooked like some abstract image of some sort of girl in a chair, but i could never ''differentiate'' features or anything from the image. the girl looked hump backed to me....i was like wow that''s a weird avatar! hahaha. DUH.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2006 5:05:06 PM
i will be the dork of the day and fess up that until today i could never figure out what TG''s avatar was. i thought it loooked like some abstract image of some sort of girl in a chair, but i could never ''differentiate'' features or anything from the image. the girl looked hump backed to me....i was like wow that''s a weird avatar! hahaha. DUH.
I thought the same thing.
7.gif
At least I wasn''t the only dork!

I definitely associate avatars with posters! FireGoddess'' pear avatar, Rod''s diamond, Lorelei''s horse, all come to mind...Mara''s changes all the time so I associate a lot of different pictures with her, I guess. Christie has a picture of a cute little beagle for hers, and it looks like my beagle so I remember that one...Starset''s is from the Wizard of Oz which is my favorite movie...I could go on and on.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, not to hijack my own thread here, but this is all SO funny. I do see what you mean by the skinny leg! But that is the hip belt of the backpack. Boy, I thought my avatar was obvious!!!

Here's the only photo I have with the backpack on. I was only 3 days into a 4 month solo backpacking journey and I was lost in Bruges, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to ask someone to take a pic. Sorry it was not clear...I was standing in the shade and the flash never went off. But now you can see how big the backpack is!

ETA, I was at least 10-15 pounds heavier than I am now...which is nice because my FI fell in love with me bigger self. Hahahaha. big red northface jacket because it was WINTER. I just forgot about style altogether and went for survival...

FirstshotwithDerry.JPG

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 5:16:30 PM
Author: monarch64

Date: 9/14/2006 5:05:06 PM
I thought the same thing.
7.gif
At least I wasn''t the only dork!

I definitely associate avatars with posters! FireGoddess'' pear avatar, Rod''s diamond, Lorelei''s horse, all come to mind...Mara''s changes all the time so I associate a lot of different pictures with her, I guess. Christie has a picture of a cute little beagle for hers, and it looks like my beagle so I remember that one...Starset''s is from the Wizard of Oz which is my favorite movie...I could go on and on.
Count me in on seeing TG''s avatar as a sad, skinny girl hunched over in a chair... something about it always made me think of Picasso''s Blue Nude, which I love, so at least I had good associations!! This is like some weird PS version of the Rorschach... "so, tell me what you see in the avatar........"
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, when i first saw the picture I didn't see you TG just the statue and it looks just like your backpack/girl image in your avatar. I thought you were making the comparison until i read further and saw the pic is of you and your backpack...

i think I need to back away from my computer
41.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 5:01:16 PM
Author: allycat0303
TravelinGal,

I think if you two decide to have babies they are going to be STUNNING!

In real life I'm very shy, I don't talk loud or often but I have a strong sense of self. And I'm willing to make major waves if I believe the issue is important. And don't get me mad because I have monstrous pride, and I'm the last person to back down from a fight.

The yellow fever thing is intresting though, I've met a lot of people that have accused my boyfriend of having 'yellow fever' I honestly am shocked that you are asian though. Your story is like my 'dream meeting for future husband' so romantic and spontaneous. My boyfriend always said 'well it sure beats meeting in high school'
2.gif
You must post some pics after you get married. I'm literally dying of curiosity now.
35.gif
Allycat, I will try to do so. FI doesn't care for his pic on the net, which is why I haven't posted it (and for that matter, neither do I - photos of myself that is).

But I can throw ya a bone...although not a very good one. This pic was taken not long after we met. We had reunited in salzburg and this was the first night. Walking home after dinner, it was so pretty, I set up the camera and kissed him...so I like this photo because although even though it's posed, it also isn't. It was great to "date" in Europe!

I'd normally post it in the LIW photo thread, but he's seen that thread, so I hope you don't mind a further hijack by me posting it here.

I definitely associate starset with her avatar...and I also associate judy garland's voice with her posts!

ETA Ally, I always think highschool sweethearts IS the most romantic thing. Most of us will never have the chance again.
1.gif

salzburg-kiss.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I have to admit, I NEVER knew what the hell I was looking at when it came to your avatar, TG.. I don't see a girl and I don't see a backpack either! I see some kind of monster with one eye looking towards the left side....I know, I am a weirdo!! To be honest, I thought the same as Mara...I was like, "what the hell is that?" the first time I saw your avatar....lol!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 6:01:21 PM
Author: Dani
I have to admit, I NEVER knew what the hell I was looking at when it came to your avatar, TG.. I don''t see a girl and I don''t see a backpack either! I see some kind of monster with one eye looking towards the left side....I know, I am a weirdo!! To be honest, I thought the same as Mara...I was like, ''what the hell is that?'' the first time I saw your avatar....lol!!
LOL...I think the "eye" is the retractable cable lock so I had attached to my bag wouldn''t get stolen.

Ay yi yi...I think I need a new avatar....
40.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol but those are the best avatars IMO...where you are perpetually wondering what it is! and i figured EVERYONE else but me knew what it was so I wasnt going to ASK ... hahaha.

actually sometimes i saw a hunchback monster and other times it was like a sad hunched girl with a strange ant leg. i actually thought that the carabiner clip thing was an eye. go figure. i love the idea of 'what do YOU see in the avatar' going on.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 4:55:35 PM
Author: mrssalvo

37.gif
41.gif
Me too - i thought it was a tired looking girl sitting in a chair - like a weary traveler!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
LOL- all I see is the damm monster!!!! But that is so "me"- I always have a problem seeing things that others see. Remember those "dot pictures" that were popular a few years back? People would stare at them for like a millisecond and see this whole picture of something popping out at them? Well, then there was me- I would stare at them for like a half hr and never see what other people saw- either I would see nothing or something entirely different...IT WAS SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!! I am just a freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL TG and Dani, i see while i was posting you said the same thing i thought of as the eye...lol!

TG I can''t wait to see what you come up with next!!! will it have a beret on?
31.gif
or perhaps a crocheted pot warmer? i hear they double as hats.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I thought TG's avatar was a cartoon cat. Don't ask me how I got that, I just did.
20.gif
I make no sense. I often get FG and Sk8r's avatars confused because they look alike now, and there was someone else with a pear-shaped halo on a purple flower... Dani, don't feel bad about those "Magic Eye" things, I STILL can't do it- anyone ever see Mallrats? A guy is attempting to "see" it the whole movie, and people keep coming up and going, "Ooh! A dolphin!"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results