shape
carat
color
clarity

Your advice please; Which Victor Canera design for my Round

BHMom

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I've been following this forum like a hawk for the past few weeks:) I've been speaking to Victor for like 3 weks now for a reset of my 2ct round brilliant. He's local to me which is very important to me. I'm trying to create a HW inspired reset for my center. I'm trying to decide between;

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-alaria-solitaire.html
or
http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-emilya-halo-solitaire.html

They're very similar rings except one has a halo. Would a halo for a 2 carat stone look good or be overboard? I'm a finger size 5.
I feel like I'm ordering a car because Victor's offered me a bunch of other options. I've been offered to do the ring in like 5 different kinds of pave, with single or double wire prongs, the thickness of the shank, even the shape of the shank. Kind of overwhelmed at the moment. I'd really appreciate some advice here. I've also read that going with a thinner shank might be a problem down the road. I'd like to do a shank that's about 2mm thick, which he seems to think is a good trade off between aesthetics and durability. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Re: Your advice please; Which Victor Canera design for my Ro

I like the halo setting better =)

BHMom

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the link minmin001, that looks really nice actually. I'd like to probably have mine made without the pave around the edge of the halo.
I think I like the halo more too, otherwise I would have just stuck with my solitaire.
For the pave my options are: "bright cut" (with or without milgraining), "crapponia", "U-cut" (with two different variations; deep or shallow), "V-Cut" and "European 4 bead" lol. Victor tells me that besides bright cut and the European 4 bead, the other type of pave aren't as safe but seeing the ones from his site I think U-cut is the one I really like but Crapponia looks really nice too.
Is a 2mm shank good enough for durability? I'm not a super active person but I don't want to have to worry about the ring too much.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Definetly the halo, will be perfect for a 2 ct stone.

BHMom

Rough_Rock

I am going to go with the halo. I'm working out the small details of the ring right now...
Victor gave me a wonderful idea of making the shank slightly tapered. So for example it would be 2.2mm starting from the center stone tapering to maybe 1.8mm at its base. He says he would make this out of a single piece of platinum wire, hmmm ok... We're also tapering the stems that will hold the halo which he says would make it look more delicate. No pave on the stems. I'm going to decide by tonight and send him a deposit. I'm also going to do single wire prongs to hold my stone I think. The pave is going to be a shallow U-Cut which he says is the type used for HW type rings. Woohoo I'm so excited=)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the halo also but I would go a little wider on the shank. It looks very thin and I think a little wider would look better with
the halo.

Oh...I just read your last post and think that would be a good idea to go wider or do a taper near the halo. The shank on the
original just looked so thin for a haloed 2 carat.

BHMom

Rough_Rock

I just dropped off my center stone and deposit on my ring=) So excited I'm giddy.
It's going to be a shallow U-Cut slightly graduated shank starting from about 2.1-2.2mm and graduating slightly in thickness towards the bottom. All the ones I've seen here seem to be the same thickness so this will be a small unique touch for my ring. Tapered and curved stems and single wire prongs. Victor btw. is so sweet. He was so careful not to try to make a ring that he wants to make but one that I'd be happy with just giving advice on the pave and overall look of the ring.
Should be ready in a couple of weeks.... I'll follow up when I get it.:)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OH :praise: I am so jealous that you got to see Victor. He does seem so very caring about the outcome.

AND you beat me in starting your project. It will be a few more days before I can send mine in as I am waiting on my colored gem which will replace the center stone in my current setting.

I know you must be SO excited. Can't wait for photos.

BHMom

Rough_Rock

I got an email from Victor yesterday. The mounting is ready for me to inspect yeahh=) I don't think I can make it today though arhhhh! It's going to be torture over the weekend but at least he promised me some photos to hold me over. If I get some pictures today I'm going to share here to see what the experts think.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RATS :errrr: I hate that for you. I spoke with him today and I asked how your project was going. He says it's going to look great!!

BHMom

Rough_Rock

bright ice|1304112359|2908218 said:
RATS :errrr: I hate that for you. I spoke with him today and I asked how your project was going. He says it's going to look great!!

Bright Ice, you put me over the edge with your comment=) I left the kids at practice with my girlfriend and ran downtown to see my ring with my Nikon camera. It's a bit unassuming without the diamonds set yet but I'm happy with it so far. I'm not exactly sure whether to have diamonds set on the stems and the round part underneath them. Should I do that or would it make the ring look too busy??? Btw. can't believe how quickly Victor gets work done and hand forged to boot. He's promising the ring to be done mid-late next week. I just need to decide about the stems and bottom part of the ring...

1.jpg

2.jpg

BHMom

Rough_Rock

Here's the ring by itself.

5.jpg

BHMom

Rough_Rock

This shows my areas of un-decision a bit better. To add pave to the stems and underneath circular part (I don't know what that's called):)

8.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

its coming along quite nicely! as for the additional paves on the basket part right? where it comes up from the shank to meet the halo? really depends on whether you will be wearing a wedding band? will it have enough clearance for a band not to rub up against the paves there?

BHMom

Rough_Rock

D&T|1304135238|2908447 said:
its coming along quite nicely! as for the additional paves on the basket part right? where it comes up from the shank to meet the halo? really depends on whether you will be wearing a wedding band? will it have enough clearance for a band not to rub up against the paves there?

I never thought about that. Does putting a band next to the pave wear it out somehow? I've been wearing my solitaire by itself up until now but I was thinking of having a band after the upgrade some time down the road. I kind of like the idea of having something to look at on the side of the ring too though.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would go for pave on those areas as well. It should complete it very nicely.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock

I assume you're only planning to have pave on the top of the shank, not on both sides as well, right? (not 3-sided pave)

If the pave is only on the top of the shank, I might pave the stems, but leave the donut below the basket plain. You might wear stackers with the ring later on, or add a wedding band. I don't like the idea of the small donut pave rubbing against anything else. The stem pave would tie me over for "side bling".

It looks wonderful, by the way.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think it looks great thus far. I'd probably add pave on the wires but not the donut to avoid rubbing issues with a band.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrssalvo|1304186614|2908620 said:
I think it looks great thus far. I'd probably add pave on the wires but not the donut to avoid rubbing issues with a band.

Ditto!!!! Don't put the pave on the bottom doughnut if you will wear a wedding band!

BHMom

Rough_Rock

Thank you all so much for your help and insight. This is the exact reason I posted here because I know it's full of gracious and caring people:)
I fired off an email yesterday to Victor expressing my concern about a possible wearing away of the pave if I decide to wear a band with my ring. He seems to be not extremely partial to wearing to rings together in the first place but said he understands people like to wear their rings that way. He said that if I did decide to create a band in the future with him that he would create a notch around the head to make sure there would be a small amount of space between the rings next to the pave. I've left the decision up to him, it's not going to make a big visual difference either way to set pave on the bottom. The ring should be done mid next week, I'm crazy excited

BHMom

Rough_Rock

Guess whose ring is going to be ready tomorrow?
MINE!
I'm going tomorrow to downtown to pick up my ring.
Bright Ice have you received your ring? I'm curious to see what you've gotten from Victor.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BHMom|1304449500|2911377 said:
MINE!
Bright Ice have you received your ring? I'm curious to see what you've gotten from Victor.

My ring just left going to Victor yesterday via USPS rigistered mail. Not sure how long it will take to get there.

I am so excited for you. Can't wait to see how yours turned out!!!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock

BHMom|1304449500|2911377 said:
MINE!

That sounds so exciting! can't wait to see the pictures. be sure to take a lot of them!! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results