shape
carat
color
clarity

Your advice on an "I" H and A vs. "G" Ideal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fiyaz

Rough_Rock
Hi All-

Thanks so much for all of the information on this site. The resources here have been incredible!

Its coming down to the wire for me now and I need to buy my stone within the next week.

Up until about a week ago I had my heart set on an a round, SI1 (inclusions on the edges), G, Ideal, greater than 2 carat ring. I was ready to pony up the big bucks to make it happen. Then during one of my conversations with an on-line store I came acorss the following which is a bit less than what I was going to pay for the above:

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 2.06
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 61.7%
Table: 55%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.19*8.22*5.06

Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown %: 16.00
pavilion Angle: 40.8°
pavilion %: 43.00

Now my question to you is do you think the H&A cut will add enough brilliance to the stone to wash out the small tinge of color that comes from the "I" color? I spoke to the dealer and they claim that the stone is "white" to the naked eye. What do the experts think?

One of the options that I have is to send two stones from the online retailer and do a visual comparison, but what are your thoughts? Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I don''t know how colour sensitive you are. The larger the stone, the more it tends to show body colour although a well cut stone will blind your eyes that you will not see much tint from the top view. An I stone will not be yellow, perhaps a warm white. I have no problems with my 2 J stones and I also own an E, so I love all colours.
9.gif
However, I don''t know your tolerance level. If you want to be safe, stick with the G. If you have the opportunity to view these 2 side by side, that would be the best way to make your decision.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

From the info given, this rock will be a stunner and it is generally accepted with a fab H&A cut such as this, even in a larger diamond, an I will face up beautifully white for most people, but it depends on own colour tolerance. However it is well worth taking a chance on a diamond like this in my opinion - most vendors have a good return policy if it is too warm, normally only a hint of tint may be perceptible from the side view which is fine to many, it is a case of your own preferences.

By the way so you know, we in the main aren't experts, for that ask the vendor who has the diamond how it faces up as it is likely to be an in house diamond - is it a 'high I" for example and perhaps not far off an H, or a low I and perhaps closer to a J - or a ' spot on' I - just to confuse matters for you!!!
11.gif
Vendors will go out of their way to describe the diamonds as closely as they can for you.
Cracking diamond!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results