shape
carat
color
clarity

Young Man in Need of Some Asscher Advice (Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the IS your looking for the same basic things as regular pictures.
Patterns and overall balance of light return.
Tilt has to be taken into account which makes it a bit harder.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Karl,

Do you recall the price of the 3rd diamond? It no longer shows, but I assume it was in range since you found it.

I've heard the 1ct Asscher generally appears smaller than a 1ct round - which is why I think the large may be better here. Will the 1.02 to the 1.14 be a noticeable difference to your eye (12% size increase)?

Also, should I be worried about the Excellent to Very Good downgrades on polish/symmetry on the 3rd rock?

Thanks,
Mike

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
VG or better is fine.

The price was in the same range as the others I don''t recall the exact number.
You could likely enter the weight and color/clarity in the PS search engine and find it.
All 3 would look pretty close in size.
It might have sold if it is marked as not available or it might be on hold and come available again.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
From our friends at JA:

1190813 14.4% Crown height (1st diamond)

1154675 17.7% Crown height (2nd diamond)

1189562 18.0% Crown height (3rd diamond)

The ideal range for Asscher cut diamonds crown height is 12-17% so most of these diamonds fall into this category. The 1.14 is a bit shy, but keep in mind it is also a larger diamond, which should not be a factor. I have provided a table below of some of GIA''s parameters for choosing the Ideal Asscher cut diamond.

Depth: 65-70% neighborhood

Table: 55-65% neighborhood

Crown height: 12-17% neighborhood

Outline: Large cut corners, with shape tending towards "stop sign" outline

Face up "look": Cut corners produce larger "windmill type" reflection pattern

........................Depth produces concentric square "house of mirrors" reflection pattern

Side view: Slightly bulging pavilion

Symmetry & polish above "very good / very good" is rare

-----

I have the full Sarin reports. Let me know if I should post those.

With this information, which diamond do you recommend Storm?

Thanks,
Mike

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about asscher numbers but that H is calling my name. The G isnt doing much for me
8.gif

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
1st diamond sarin report

813.jpg

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
2nd diamond sarin report

675.jpg

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
3rd diamond sarin report

562.jpg

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
I originally was thinking the same thing - however Storms comments on the IS image have me scared.

Also, JA said the image was fine - not sending another one.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Something is screwy on the report for the 2nd diamond. Report to the side shows crown angle 1 range of 39.1-40.0, but the angles show on the graph as 39.1, 40.0, 49.8 & 49.2. Shouldn't the west & north numbers be 39.8 & 39.2? Probably just a typo somewhere.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 3:14:39 PM
Author: mbz
From our friends at JA:

1190813 14.4% Crown height (1st diamond)

1154675 17.7% Crown height (2nd diamond)

1189562 18.0% Crown height (3rd diamond)
CH is fine on all 3
over 10 is good over 12 is great.
The greater the depth the higher I like the CH.
let me look over the pictures again.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok looking them over...
The first is kicken
The H-VS1 might be kicken
The last one is kicken

When all I have is a picture and IS if I can eliminate a questionable area on one image it gets a pass.
The H-vs1 I'm not sure I can do that.
The normal solution is more pictures but if the vendor bulks then its a pickle.

Are you viewing the diamonds before mounting or just after?
Are you planning on a lose diamond appraisal?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is what I am talking about in both images it looks like that area is not returning light.
That leaves the potential for eye visible lopsided pattern.

H-VS1-Diamond1.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 3:52:56 PM
Author: jet2ks
Something is screwy on the report for the 2nd diamond. Report to the side shows crown angle 1 range of 39.1-40.0, but the angles show on the graph as 39.1, 40.0, 49.8 & 49.2. Shouldn''t the west & north numbers be 39.8 & 39.2? Probably just a typo somewhere.
I notice some goofy things on OGI reports for step cuts from time to time.
The crown height is the only number that is needed the rest is pictures so its not a big deal.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Not to threadjack, but aren''t these reports computer generated, Storm? Or is it someone manually transferring the numbers from a machine to the report?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 6:54:28 PM
Author: jet2ks
Not to threadjack, but aren''t these reports computer generated, Storm? Or is it someone manually transferring the numbers from a machine to the report?
the ogi software generates them.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Storm,

"Are you viewing the diamonds before mounting or just after? Are you planning on a lose diamond appraisal?"

I plan on purchasing a diamond and setting tomorrow and having it mounted on the following setting:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/ring/item_57-2152.asp

Once I receive the completed ring, I plan on getting an independent appraisal for two reasons:
1) to ensure I'm not getting screwed (I think JA is trustworthy, so I don't anticipate any issues there)
2) for insurance purposes

Based on your comments, I take it you recommend either diamond 1 or 3. Which would you recommend purchasing and why?

Thanks again for all your help - and I look forward to your reply!!
1.gif

Thanks,
Mike

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Right now, I'm leaning toward the:
1.14 Carat H-VS1 Premium Cut Asscher Diamond
(but am on the fence of course, and wondering if you will be able to visibly see the yellow in the stone since its a H vs. G)

114B0808PIC2.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
H should be ok, It is for me in person.
I would be happy with either one.
Both have nice patterns and should have a lot of fire.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really comes down to windmills.
Wide or Narrower?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never even seen an Assher in person, so I can''t comment on which will be lovelier in person. But I''ve noticed something about which photos appeal to me personally, and it might be true of other people as well.

The stones aren''t perfectly square: one side is slightly longer than the other. In the first set of photos, the G VS2 was shown with the long side horizontal (wide) and H VS1 was shown with the long side vertical (tall).

I prefer the vertical photos. When I rotate the horizontal photos, I find myself liking those images better than I did before.

It might be a good idea to make sure all the photos are either vertical or horizontal when you''re trying to decide which you prefer.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Narrow vs. Wide windmills ... The million dollar question.

Honestly, I like them both. The G is a better diamond on paper, I think - and probably represents the Asscher cut the best, however the H is substantially larger and has a very unique pattern (or is it simply the lighting - the G doesn''t seem to have those dark contrast areas that show off the cut like the H).

Is there a general consensus that wider is better - or is simply personal preference?

Also, just for fun, I came across some great videos of Asschers online last night (not of the stones in this thread): Wow! Wow! Wowow!!
Vimeo

Will these rocks shimmer and shine like this - or are the rocks featured in the above video exceptional stones? Which of the 2 diamonds in this thread will show the best like this?

Man, I''m an indecisive male!
41.gif
T-minus 12 hours to purchase time - I need help! I''m sure she will love both stones, I just want to be sure I make the right decision here.

Thanks for the support,
Mike

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Are the windmills in the video link above Narrow or Wide?

I really like their appearance - They appear to be Narrow to me.
33.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first H VS1 you posted the most of all the stones.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Seeker,

I like that one too based on appearance, however have counted it out due to the IS image and issues Storm pointed out. It may be okay, but I''d rather be sure it''s going to look GREAT!

Mike

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Also, while all of these are close to being true squares - none are. Would you recommend the wider side sitting horizontal to the ring (not as much area sticking above) - or the inverse, with a greater area sitting above from top to bottom. I''m not sure if you will be even able to pick up the difference with your eye.

Mike

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:04:18 PM
Also, while all of these are close to being true squares - none are. Would you recommend the wider side sitting horizontal to the ring (not as much area sticking above) - or the inverse, with a greater area sitting above from top to bottom. I'm not sure if you will be even able to pick up the difference with your eye.

Mike
will check the vid later...
under or = 1.04 l/w ratio is eye square so they will be fine.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:51:36 PM
Are the windmills in the video link above Narrow or Wide?

I really like their appearance - They appear to be Narrow to me.
33.gif
narowish side by the looks of it.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Storm,

So, if you had to pick one and only one...?
1.gif

Mike

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:47:33 PM
Storm,

So, if you had to pick one and only one...?
1.gif

Mike
I love wide windmills.
That is a personal preference so I would lean towards the G-vs2.
I also love high crowns and the 1.14 has a slightly higher crown so I would lean towards that one.

The 1.14 has wide enough windmills to do the job.

I think I would love either one.
If you really twist my arm I would take the wider windmills as a personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results