shape
carat
color
clarity

Young Man in Need of Some Asscher Advice (Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello everyone! I plan on proposing to my girlfriend of 4 years next month (while on our first cruise together), and am *almost* ready to make my diamond purchase. I've decided to go with James Allen, due to their pricing and the fact that you can actually see real photos of the diamonds.

Over the past several weeks, I've used this great forum as a resource to learn as much as I possibly can about these mysterious stones that women love so much
30.gif
and am now looking to your expertise in helping me pick the perfect diamond! I thank you all in advance for your time and sincere thoughts on the following stones I've picked out.

I have a budget of $4,500 and am looking for a 1ct Asscher diamond. The two stones in contention are as follows:

1.02 Carat G-VS2 Ideal Cut Asscher Diamond ($4,410)

1.09 Carat H-VS1 Premium Cut Asscher Diamond ($4,360)

I'm not sure if the photos are playing tricks on me or not, however I am leaning toward the H-VS1 based on its appearance. For some reason it appears sharper and has a more distinct design than the "nicer" diamond.

Please help me make this important decision... I look forward to hearing each of your opinions on which diamond you pref and why!

PS: I'll be sure to come back and post my finished engagement ring as soon as I receive it, as thanks to everyone on this great forum!

Trusting My Life in Your Hands,
Mike
1.gif

G-VS2

G-VS2-Diamond.JPG

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
G-VS2

G-VS2-GIA.JPG

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
H-VS1

H-VS1-Diamond.JPG

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
H-VS1

H-VS1-GIA.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have a good eye they both look good so far.
They are about the same price and the same size.
Little different patterns and both look good.
The next step is put them on hold and request an IS image and get the crown height and post them.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Karl,

Thank you for the advice.

I''ve placed both on hold and have requested the items you mentioned.

I will post as soon as I receive the information (most likely Monday).

Thanks,
Mike

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Your H/VS1 has medium blue fluorescence - that is why it gives you a more well-defined image. How do you feel about this?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 8:03:20 AM
Author: DiamondFlame
Your H/VS1 has medium blue fluorescence - that is why it gives you a more well-defined image. How do you feel about this?
Not true.
fluorescence has no effect on the images or patterns.
The pavilion configuration(both 3p but different angles and placement) is different between the 2 diamonds which produces the 2 different styles.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Storm is the resident asscher expert on here, I''d listen to him!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
listen to Storm... Get the assets and compare them. Just based on the two images that you posted, (they are both stunning, by the way...) I choose the H VS1!! Just jumps out at me...
36.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Fluorescence does have an impact on how spectra of light is processed in photography. To say that it has no effect on images is an oversimplification. But this is not the forum to discuss such matter so I too wd listen to the advice of resident Asscher-cut experts.
28.gif
And I too find myself leaning towards the H/VS1.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 8:15:40 AM
Author: neatfreak
Storm is the resident asscher expert on here, I'd listen to him!
Ditto! without Storm, I would have been lost in my search for an EC.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dmitri,

To be honest, I''m not really sure what to think about the fluorescence. From other threads I''ve read, it sounds like people on this forum generally like fluorescence, while traditional diamond lore votes against it.

Can anyone provide some insight into why they like or dislike fluorescence in diamonds, specifically this style of cut?
33.gif

Thanks,
Mike

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 3:38:02 PM
Author: mbz
Dmitri,

To be honest, I''m not really sure what to think about the fluorescence. From other threads I''ve read, it sounds like people on this forum generally like fluorescence, while traditional diamond lore votes against it.

Can anyone provide some insight into why they like or dislike fluorescence in diamonds, specifically this style of cut?
33.gif

Thanks,

Mike
M Blue is going to have little to no impact in most lighting and when it does it will help a H appear whiter.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 3:38:02 PM
Dmitri,

33.gif

Thanks,

Mike

I have a RB cut, with a strong blue Fluoro. I absolutely love it, I think the blue is gorgeous. Wish I could help more though. I love the stones you have picked out though!

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Karl,

I''m eagerly awaiting the IS image and crown height, so that I can pass it along to you for advice. Everyone here seems to really respect your expert opinion.

Thanks again to everyone who has given their opinion so far! Keep ''em coming!!

Thanks,
Mike

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Looks like it boils down to a preference in windmill size (wider vs. thinner)?

I like the looks of the wider myself.

Interestingly, the second stone looks as though it''s more rectangular, though the dimensions would seem to indicate that the first stone is actually longer. Must be an artifact of the photography?

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Storm,

While we''re waiting for the IS and crown height for the 2 diamonds at the top of the thread, do you see any others at JA in this cut, price range and carat size that catch your eye?

Thanks,
Mike

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 8:26:09 AM
Author: Tuckins1
listen to Storm... Get the assets and compare them. Just based on the two images that you posted, (they are both stunning, by the way...) I choose the H VS1!! Just jumps out at me...
36.gif
I like this one too!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m more "drawn in" by this one too.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
G-VS2 (IS Image - Crown Height coming soon...)

1190813.jpg

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
H-VS1 (IS Image - Crown Height coming soon...)

1154675.jpg

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
And lastly Storms other pick from this thread... (Crown Height coming soon)

1189562.jpg

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Pretty looking images, but what do they tell us? So much to learn...
20.gif

Thanks again everyone for all the insight so far!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 7:33:03 PM
Pretty looking images, but what do they tell us? So much to learn...
20.gif

Thanks again everyone for all the insight so far!

I think there might be an issue with the lighting on the IS images.
Notice how all 3 are over bright and showing leakage above the center compared to the bottom?
So my overall conclusion so far is that the g-v2 and the last one are a pass so far and I would want another image on the H-vs1 because I think it is better than the IS is making it look.

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Storm,

I''ve requested another IS image of the H-VS1. Also, they say I should have the crown height information tomorrow.

What exactly are we looking for in these IS images? I''ve never seen one before.

Thanks,
Mike

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
About: Ideal-Scope
Natural reflector assessment was popularized at the turn of the century with Garry Holloway’s “ideal-scope,” a simple magnifying tube containing a red reflector. An ideal-scope photograph shows what areas of a diamond will return light to the viewer’s eye and what areas will not. Holloway's product has become a must-have for many internet diamond enthusiasts.

(from White Flash)

From another thread:
The Ideal-scope is based on a principle discovered by Mr Okuda in the 1970’s. A 10x lens with a hot red / pink reflector in front of the diamond has a central viewing hole, which allows you to see just how much of the red / pink light refracts back from the diamond.

The instrument is a simple brilliance gauge; white areas in a diamond show light transmitted from behind the diamond; often called leakage - the enemy! The blackness of the lens mimics an observer’s head blocking out the light. The most brilliant diamonds look bright pink/red with a black star and minimal white or pale areas. Most ideal cuts have small ‘V’ shaped white leakage features at the girdle.

Invented originally for brilliance assessment, the ideal-scope also shows a diamonds symmetry. Diamonds with perfect symmetry and good proportions show a black eight-pointed star. Hearts and Arrows (and H&A’s viewers) are a by-product of Mr Okuda’s discovery.

In December 2001 the American Gem Society (AGS) announced it will work with Firescope™ owner Richard von Sternberg to develop a new diamond cut grading system. “We strongly believe that a quantifiable cut grade for fancy shaped diamonds is now within reach,” said Robert W. Bridel, AGS executive director and CEO.

4BCut_Ideal-Scope.jpg

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
Regarding Storm''s pick (the 3rd diamond) ... I don''t see price listed any long since it''s on hold, however here are the specs:

1.14 Carat H-VS1 Premium Cut Asscher Diamond

Diamond Details
Item Number: 1189562
Shape: Asscher
Carat weight: 1.14
Cut: Premium
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 70.9%
Table: 59.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.73*5.56*3.94
Ratio: 1.03

I like the fact that this diamond is MUCH bigger than the others. How do the other specs on this look guys?

Thanks,
Mike

mbz

Rough_Rock
Trade
^ 1.14 Carat H-VS1 Premium Cut Asscher Diamond

114B0808PIC.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results