shape
carat
color
clarity

Young and Clueless About Diamonds - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HPS2K

Rough_Rock

I am new to this fourm and to diamonds. I''m looking to purchase a loose diamond for an engagement ring. I''m really clueless when it comes to diamonds and saw that this website was very helpful. My girlfriend has narrowed the search down to two diamonds. I need help with deciding if the price I was quoted is reasonable and if the diamonds are of good value for my budget. Can someone please point out what are the main differences about these diamonds and what is the reason for the price difference? Also, I want to have the diamond appraised. Should the diamond be appraised loose or mounted on the band? Any recommended appraisers in the Chicagoland area? Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Local Jeweler - $8,900
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.44 - 6.48 x 4.03 mm

Carat Weight: 1.03 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 62.4%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Additional Inscription: H & A

Online Retailer - $7,600
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.46 - 6.49 x 3.99 mm

Carat Weight: 1.02 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
First stone is a little deep for GIA to consider it Ex cut under the new system, slightly older report I think. The angles for both are fine but stone 1 should be check for leakage with an IS although preferably both should have an IS image. If you are buying a H&A, you need to be able see the Hearts pattern in the H&A viewer. Where is the online diamond from? Some vendors will have IS/ASET and H&A images available.

There is a markup for traditional store compared to online because of the extra overhead, 10-15% is the norm.

For independent appraiser, use this tool. https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want to view some ideal cut stones from online vendor in Chicago, Dimend Scaasi is based there http://www.dimendscaasi.com/ and they carry Crafted by Infinity diamonds. Some diamonds similar to your stats and budget are.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=560

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=562

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=462

They will be able to call in these stones for you if you are interested.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a beautiful 1.21 ct H, Si1 (eye clean) for less than the price of either of these. GIA certed, 1.7 HCA.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 7:02:40 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
First stone is a little deep for GIA to consider it Ex cut under the new system, slightly older report I think.

What new system?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
New metrics. Go try out the GIA facetware. 62.3% depth is the cut off for Ex cut grade.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 9:38:41 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
New metrics. Go try out the GIA facetware. 62.3% depth is the cut off for Ex cut grade.

wrong.

HPS2K

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11 - Thank you for the information. I was leaning torwards stone #2 because it''s cheaper and it sounds like the higher quality of the two. The online retailer is Mondera, which did not list any additional information in regards to IS/ASET or H&A. However, this diamond was regarded under their finest quality diamond:

- rarest combination of quality and cut (less than 1% of world diamond production)
- no visible color or inclusions
- finest proportion, symmetry, and polish
- finest brilliance
- highest price for their size

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 9:51:13 PM
Author: HPS2K
Stone-cold11 - Thank you for the information. I was leaning torwards stone #2 because it''s cheaper and it sounds like the higher quality of the two. The online retailer is Mondera, which did not list any additional information in regards to IS/ASET or H&A. However, this diamond was regarded under their finest quality diamond:

- rarest combination of quality and cut (less than 1% of world diamond production)
- no visible color or inclusions
- finest proportion, symmetry, and polish
- finest brilliance
- highest price for their size
going by the specs i like #1 . how can they call it H&A o/w showing any pics?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi HP,

The first reaches my personal cutoff for depth, the angle combo is good though, the second could be fine but due to the angles ASET or IS would be very helpful, you could ask Mondera if they could supply these images.

Also as DF says, if they are calling the first diamond h&a then we need pics from them and hearts images in order to evaluate any cut precision and patterning.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also concerning an appraisal you could get the diamond appraised loose when you get it, then have the entire ring inspected once it is set.

HPS2K

Rough_Rock
So I decided stone 1 is not in my budget and purchased stone 2. I contacted Mondera today and they provided me with a scanned image but it was not a very good one. The rep indicated that some of their vendors have camera setups and some don''t. The rep did say that this stone is H&A. The stone is accompanied with a GIA report too. This is a very major purchase for, and I''m really nervous about buying online. Should I have any worries about the stone not matching the report? Should I hire an appraiser before deciding to keep the stone? Can anyone recommend a trust worthy jeweler in Chicago to set the stone? My worst fears are that a jeweler would swap out my stone. Mondera indicated that they won''t. Sorry for all the questions. I want to make sure I''m making the best choices for such a large purchase. Thank you.

RBD hunter

Rough_Rock
If you like the looks of the diamond.
Have the GIA numbers laser inscribed on the diamond girdle and then send it off to the setter (instruct the setter to set the diamond with the GIA numbers out so you can view them after the ring is finished.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 9:47:54 PM
Author: HPS2K

So I decided stone 1 is not in my budget and purchased stone 2. I contacted Mondera today and they provided me with a scanned image but it was not a very good one. The rep indicated that some of their vendors have camera setups and some don''t. The rep did say that this stone is H&A. The stone is accompanied with a GIA report too. This is a very major purchase for, and I''m really nervous about buying online. Should I have any worries about the stone not matching the report? Should I hire an appraiser before deciding to keep the stone? Can anyone recommend a trust worthy jeweler in Chicago to set the stone? My worst fears are that a jeweler would swap out my stone. Mondera indicated that they won''t. Sorry for all the questions. I want to make sure I''m making the best choices for such a large purchase. Thank you.

I think you chose the best one - congrats!! As to whether it is h&a, no way to tell without hearts and arrows images, but nevertheless it could be a great diamond.

If you are concerned then an independant appraisal might be of benefit to you during the return period, did you not want Mondera to set the diamond for you?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you getting along, do you expect to receive the ring soon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results