shape
carat
color
clarity

You put the FD&C Red 40 in and you shake it all about

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may have erred a bit over on the red in the "purple" overnight... So I'm just gonna go ahead and drop this in the blue now... :twisted2:

Nov2-1.jpg

Nov3-4.jpg

Nov2-3.jpg

Nov2-2.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is this Frankenpearl craziness and have you tried fabric dyes?????

Would you believe me if I said that I didn’t realize fabric dye and food dye weren’t the same thing until after I started this shindig? :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After some weekend adventures (that involved using hot water as a quick fix for glue residue, which I’ve done before; and discovering that whatever #stickystuff Ocean Rhyme uses totally doesn’t agree with hot water, which I’ve not encountered before; and eventually turning to my dremel to remove the chalky white coating this discovery yielded, which astonishingly enough actually fixed the problem without more drama) - I got the “dyed” pearl back to super-pink…

- - - - -

31E880F4-B02F-4572-8E61-E290619FED58.jpeg

07780D46-0178-4B62-BFF5-452DE9669CDE.jpeg

AB748F6E-05A0-4251-B188-1F8281B35B43.jpeg

5DDF6C8C-7EFB-48A8-8BC0-C4C0E7514FD3.jpeg

- - - - -

62617D29-C6D3-408C-ABD0-492415283345.jpeg

D87BDF4F-FE6A-4405-BFBC-C5D7C511A8E8.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
… And then it went into a blueish purple for a full day.

6386D135-477A-422B-A2FC-352A17E32838.jpeg

A2C8075C-72C9-458F-B4F1-9B50C7DA69E2.jpeg

4BA34B1A-7947-4B93-9820-D04E38CFB244.jpeg

EF048A35-268A-4A8F-B0DE-A53B278A1EE3.jpeg

The result was much closer, but the blue in the overtone was still noticeably mismatched - I knew I had a much closer overtone match before. But I was hopeful that a little more blue would fix it…

C7E14913-7EE1-486B-A305-D2E4C359F199.jpeg

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is where I’m ending the weekend. Superbly annoying. Body colour is actually a really good match at this point. But the blue in the overtone - not so much.

More reddish purple. Then I think a dilute blueish purple. :wall:

6097EA78-0AEC-49F8-806D-686210B2CAF3.jpeg

75A8BA92-E0E0-4B3A-A97D-5BAD435D4F2C.jpeg

634215EB-6959-4C19-8A44-DFDD4493E075.jpeg

D8239345-1CB3-4CCE-AF5D-BF6889ECEEDB.jpeg

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super annoying for you...super fascinating for the attentive audience! :bigsmile::lol: Still loving this thread!
:lol:

Here’s a better visual of what’s wrong. Wish I’d thought of this earlier! Just water in a white bowl. The pearl with the more blue/violet outline is the undyed that I’m trying to match, and the one with the more pinkish purple outline is the one I’m dyeing. And, like, I know exactly what I’d do in photoshop, but… :silenced:

BDB388FF-CFCE-4663-8FDF-D58F560F7B88.jpeg

25C7427F-035B-4A49-82FA-3FEED0E9EEE0.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm done y'all.

Legit done.

I left formerly-undyed in a very dilute yellowish green and dyed (which I called "lighter" way back when) in a stronger violet overnight.

No idea how long this will last. But for right this moment - I have to say that I am really and genuinely happy. Still not a perfect match, but I think that this is as close as I'll ever get. And had I purchased them this way I'd have been satisfied with the match. I can see myself wearing these. ::)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sunlight:

Sun1.jpg

Sun2.jpg

Shade:

ShadeA.jpg

ShadeB.jpg

ShadeC.jpg

ShadeD.jpg

Spotlights:

Spotllight1.jpg

Underwater in white bowl. SO much closer in overtone. This is how they'll face-up once set.

Just saw the typo. Humbug.

Underwater1.jpg

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
This is fascinating!

The rest of us are along for the ride on the coolest science project ever.

I really like this latest/last result.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie is coming to us from the 64,000-color Crayola box.

(Actually what I think is crazy is I can see what she's talking about at each step, even though I only have a 72-color box!)

Great thread, as always.

:lol: ❤️ :love:

I’ll take some lightbox pics when they’re set, I’m dying to compare to the vendor originals… :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A1.png

- - - - - - - - - -

A2.png

- - - - - - - - - -

A3.png

- - - - - - - - - -

A4.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B1.png

- - - - - - - - - -

B2.png

- - - - - - - - - -

B3.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

B4.png

- - - - - - - - - -

B5.png

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my pearl studs :bigsmile:

C3.png

C2.png

- - - - - - - - - -

With the phone:

C1.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Few more photos. Just for the heck of it ::)

- - - - - - - - - -

iPhone XS:
EP1.jpg

Canon G7X II:
ECC1.png

- - - - - - - - - -

iPhone XS:
EP2.jpg

Canon G7X II:
ECC2.png

- - - - - - - - - -

iPhone XS:
EP3.jpg

Canon G7X II:
ECC3.png

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
What an incredible experiment!! What fun & how brave! This is really fun science.

How diluted were your dye samples? Did you measure specific amounts so you could duplicate a process exactly? (I'm assuming you did.)

This has been such a fun thread to read---thank you for posting the process & results!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an incredible experiment!! What fun & how brave! This is really fun science.

How diluted were your dye samples? Did you measure specific amounts so you could duplicate a process exactly? (I'm assuming you did.)

This has been such a fun thread to read---thank you for posting the process & results!

I started out trying to take careful measurements and notes but… You give me too much credit I’m afraid!! I gave up really early and started just guessing at everything :twisted2:

I did find that with the more lustrous pearl nothing happened fast!! My cheapy test strand - some of those pearls stained within 30 minutes; I thought I was going to have to very careful. This pearl though, we’re talking hours to days for any colour change. So it was easy enough to check it every two or three hours.

And I confess, by the last few days I’d kinda thrown my mental hands up, “whatever, I’ll just try some sh*t and if I ruin it I ruin it”. A mix of the novelty of the experimenting wearing off and wanting to Just Wear Them. Cerulean’s comment about layering colours made a ton of sense, so I tried to follow some logical overtone order… Red then blue then green then yellow… Honestly it’s shocking that this insanity worked as well as it did, my expectations were very low :lol:

I was looking at my studs collection and thinking that everything looks so generically studs-ey. Like, two matched pearls of each type - and well of course, two matched pearls of each type is exactly what one would expect, it looks so unremarkable. But the reality of just how much angst has gone into getting those very-unremarkably-matched duos :lol:

Last edited:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:"I was looking at my studs collection and thinking that everything looks so generically studs-ey. Like, two matched pearls of each type - and well of course, two matched pearls of each type is exactly what one would expect, it looks so unremarkable. But the reality of just how much angst has gone into getting those very-unremarkably-matched duos"

Well noted ! It's especially difficult when you add shapes into the matching. Drops, baroques, triangles, buttons .... it can be a nightmare. lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:"I was looking at my studs collection and thinking that everything looks so generically studs-ey. Like, two matched pearls of each type - and well of course, two matched pearls of each type is exactly what one would expect, it looks so unremarkable. But the reality of just how much angst has gone into getting those very-unremarkably-matched duos"

Well noted ! It's especially difficult when you add shapes into the matching. Drops, baroques, triangles, buttons .... it can be a nightmare. lol
I realised very early on that I’m personally not a good candidate for non-round shapes unless they’re so baroque that I can lean into the wonk… I can’t even imagine asking a vendor to match colour and overtone and luster and size and shape exactly. I’d be fired as a customer on the spot :bigsmile:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three thoughts:

1. Read the whole thread and mostly all I thought was "Oooh! Pearls! Preeeeettttyyyyy!"

2. This could totally be a side hustle: "Send me your color mismatched pearls and have them Yssie-fied!"

3. Overwhelming thought by the end of the thread: I wonder if she's going to sell all the failed attempts? <keeping an eye on LT>

(Beautiful job, @yssie - they look great!)

ETA. You know you suffer from OCPD, right?? :mrgreen:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Three thoughts:

1. Read the whole thread and mostly all I thought was "Oooh! Pearls! Preeeeettttyyyyy!"

2. This could totally be a side hustle: "Send me your color mismatched pearls and have them Yssie-fied!"

3. Overwhelming thought by the end of the thread: I wonder if she's going to sell all the failed attempts? <keeping an eye on LT>

(Beautiful job, @yssie - they look great!)

ETA. You know you suffer from OCPD, right?? :mrgreen:
:kiss2: Although my services come with absolutely nothing in the way of guarantee, warranty, or security :lol-2:

OCPD, indeed :lol:

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is incredible... i am curious, did Julia see this post? What would she say? :lol:

Super creative!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results