shape
carat
color
clarity

You know you've been in CS too long when...

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
...while driving, you start critiquing the color of the traffic lights. ("This red light seems to have a slight orange modifier to it... and that green light definitely has a blue modifier...")

...you start telling everyone who compliments you on your ring about how awesome spinels are and how they come in lots of different colors and... well, until their eyes glaze over.

...you know exactly which gemstones/pieces of jewelry look best under exactly which lighting conditions, and to some extent wear the ones that correspond with the lighting conditions you anticipate for that day.

...when asked to present powerpoint slides on any topic of your choice, everyone else in the room presents modified slides from talks they've given at his/her day job. You present powerpoint slides on gemstones and judging color in gemstones.

Um. Not that I would have personal experience with this or anything.

How about you?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deorwine|1361810034|3389970 said:
...while driving, you start critiquing the color of the traffic lights. ("This red light seems to have a slight orange modifier to it... and that green light definitely has a blue modifier...")

...you start telling everyone who compliments you on your ring about how awesome spinels are and how they come in lots of different colors and... well, until their eyes glaze over.

...you know exactly which gemstones/pieces of jewelry look best under exactly which lighting conditions, and to some extent wear the ones that correspond with the lighting conditions you anticipate for that day.

...when asked to present powerpoint slides on any topic of your choice, everyone else in the room presents modified slides from talks they've given at his/her day job. You present powerpoint slides on gemstones and judging color in gemstones.

Um. Not that I would have personal experience with this or anything.

How about you?

........... and the phase after that is you stop buying because you can't believe the prices of things now and desperately wish you could go back to the good old days and buy all of those items you passed by!

and

........... horror of horrors, it's starting to become a bit boring and you look around for other interests! :D

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

How about you?

I do this all the time!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
LD|1361810747|3389981 said:
........... and the phase after that is you stop buying because you can't believe the prices of things now and desperately wish you could go back to the good old days and buy all of those items you passed by!

and

........... horror of horrors, it's starting to become a bit boring and you look around for other interests! :D

...Yes, I'm starting to slow down with the acquisition phase. I think. Mostly, I think I have what I want now. I think my next interest will be setting some of these stones! :) (There, the problem is the current price of gold...)

LadyDisdain, I'm so glad that there's someone besides me who is analyzing traffic light colors!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn't doing that with traffic lights before, but I might now! ha ha

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Always do that traffic light thing, and other lights as well... cars, restaurants...
Sometimes I see the blue neon light and think oh that will make a killer blue spinel...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OTL|1361818283|3390095 said:
Always do that traffic light thing, and other lights as well... cars, restaurants...
Sometimes I see the blue neon light and think oh that will make a killer blue spinel...

There was a piece of equipment in my dentist's that had a perfect padparascha coloured LED. I stare at it and just want a stone like that. And there is a perfect blue-green traffic light near my house.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guilty of observing modifiers of traffic lights AND tail lights of vehicles. Yup, saw prices to up too and am discouraged. Worse yet, I cannot make myself set my stones either knowing the price of gold and platinum has tripled since. ;(

emmmme

Shiny_Rock

I can barely get the word "gem" out before all eyes, everywhere, roll. :roll:

ETA: I haven't been in CS too long though :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
- when you sleep with "Terra Spinel" under your pillow
- when "recut or not recut " becomes The question
- when your next gembox is a suitcase
- when you look for orange secondary in red traffic light, and
- when the light turns to green, you do not move because neon green is too beutiful to pass.

(have done everything except for the last one)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lady_Disdain|1361811129|3389986 said:

How about you?

I do this all the time!
Me too! Might I say though, Beverly Hills has the prettiest go lights I've ever seen ;-)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha. I love this thread. I know I have been in CS to long when I take a stone and critque the color under the light in the laundry room which is waaaayyyyy dark.

When I hate a sleepy Mahenge spinel because it flouresces too much in natural sunlight.

When I see brown or grey in a stone at 10 pm in the computer room light.

When I think any gemstone under 1.75 carats is tiny.........

When I am looking for my red spinel to black out at noon during a sunny day when I am walking in the park.

When I think orange is a bad trait in a spinel....and I love orange.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When your closet has more gem boxes, gem trays, loupes, tweezers, and mailing material (after all, you never know if you'll ever need those perfect little cardboard boxes in which vendors have sent you stones :roll: ) than it has clothes...

When you send packages registered internationally and your post office personnel finally give you the supplies to take home to wrap packages correctly so they no longer have to do it...

When you have become more interested in accurately photographing the stones than in the gems themselves... :(sad

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
LisaRN|1362069563|3392628 said:
When I think any gemstone under 1.75 carats is tiny.........

Sooo true! I've become a size whore. Which is bad for the bank account because I don't want to sacrifice on color either!

Also guilty of the traffic light thing :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results