shape
carat
color
clarity

YOU HAVE TO READ THIS...TOO FUNNY!!!! HAPPENED IN A TOWN VERY CLOSE TO ME..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcard71

Rough_Rock
"This happened about 30 minutes from where I live,
and I thought everyone would get a kick out of it..."

These carats not on the menu
Police wait on nature after alleged Salem thief swallows diamond ring

By JACK MINCH and DANA WILLHOIT Sun Staff
SALEM, N.H. After a suspected jewel thief snatched a $10,000 diamond ring from a mall store this weekend, the thought of handing it back to police was apparently too much to swallow.

So Kevin Lynch, 38, of South Boston, gulped down the pricey sparkler instead, according to police.

Lynch grabbed the ring and ran out of Hannoush Jewelers at 355 South Broadway last Friday around 1:40 p.m., police said.

He fled in a stolen white Jeep driven by an unidentified man, but witnesses directed police to the parking lot at a nearby Midas shop where the sport utility vehicle was abandoned.

Police said they found Lynch in Sarducci's Restaurant next door and learned he had ingested the ring. An X-ray at Parkland Hospital in Derry which they said Lynch consented to confirmed the ring was lodged in his digestive tract.

Lynch's bail conditions required he return the ring before being allowed to leave, according to police.

The hospital provided medicine to help the process move forward, Capt. Robert Larsen said. He was then taken to Salem police headquarters, and was monitored by officers. Around 9 a.m. Sunday, the diamond in the rough was recovered.

It was the first time in Larsen's 26-year career that he recalled somebody swallowing a stolen ring.

Police are still looking for Lynch's partner.

"A lot of people think they can come up to New Hampshire" to steal, Larsen said. "Some of it is just getting away from where they live and another group thinks they can get away with it easier."

The store does not plan to put the ring back on the sales floor.

"I think it's going back to be dismantled definitely," said sales associate Charlie Chakar.

The ring has a 1 1/2 -carat yellow diamond in the center and 1/4 -carat white diamonds on each side, Chakar said.

Lynch is charged with theft. Police do not believe he intended to steal the ring as a Valentine's Day gift.

Lynch is scheduled to be arraigned in Salem District Court on March 15.

Jack Minch's e-mail address is [email protected] . Dana Willhoit's e-mail address is [email protected] .

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
My mom's friend's ring was swallowed by her dog once! Needless to say, they paid very close attention to the dog's potty. I don't know what they did with the ring, I wonder if she still wears it!

jcard71

Rough_Rock
Could you imagine being the cop assigned too
"Monitoring" the situation???
sick.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Reminds of a similar story. Check out this thread: Click Here

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read both stories. When I think of swallowing a diamond ring I think of the movie, "An Officer and a Gentleman". That's swallowing a whole ring, however!

I don't think it is uncommon for people to swallow gems in an attempt to hide them. I thought I had read the emerald miners would do that if they could ever escape the constant surveillance under which they work. I also think refugees from war have done it. In these cases I find it sad and desperate, though, not funny.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results