shape
carat
color
clarity

you are going to think I''m crazy...but I''m changing everything!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
warning (long)

For those of you who have been keeping up with my dress saga... I started out with a flowy gown by shelli segal ($130, but requires about $200 worth of alterations), and then on a whim I bought a cheap j.crew dress ($78). Eventually I decided on keeping the shelli segal dress and I actually ended up *making* $20 when I sold the j.crew dress on ebay. However, I started to have doubts, major doubts.

I recently discussed the guest list with fi''s mom and it''s getting bigger and bigger!!! EEk! They mentioned that they would chip in more since their guest side is going to be about twice the size of my side. Also, fi told me that he and the other groomsmen decided to go with tuxes instead of black suits, and my mom decided on getting the prime rib instead of the chicken! Everything is changing and it''s getting bigger, more formal, and more expensive by the minute. Luckily both of our parents are helping out, but it unfortunately the 100+ guests or so and a more casual theme is now gone and the wedding has turned into a more formal event with probably about 175 guests.

After this started...I really had doubts about my flowy casual gown. I''m just not convinced it''s appropriate for the occassion and the fabric is a little thin and that''s always bothered me about it. In addition, I think I''ve just had doubts about it from the first place and I think that''s why I ended up getting the j.crew gown.

So...I''m going to go major dress shopping this weekend and I''m going to try on *every* gown I see that is under $600. I''m going to try to go in without any preconceived ideas about what looks good on me or what type of dress I *should* wear. I''m even going to try on pouffy gowns, which I was totally against in the first place.

Wish me luck!!! Please tell me I''m not psycho!! Any tips for getting back out there and picking a gown??? Thanks gals, I appreciate your support.

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Try on everything!

I had preconcieved ideas about what i wanted and boy was I wrong. Thank god the sales lady knew better. She made me try on a dress I would have never even looked at. When I came out of the dressing room i thought she was nuts. It was a size 10 and I wore a street size 0. I felt like I was holding a satin blanket around myself. She clipped it back and i was in love
30.gif
. I did not want to take it off, I could not stop smiling or looking at myself in the mirror.

Hopefully you will find the one you wont ever want to take off.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 6:44:37 PM
Author: ponderer
Try on everything!

I had preconcieved ideas about what i wanted and boy was I wrong. Thank god the sales lady knew better. She made me try on a dress I would have never even looked at. When I came out of the dressing room i thought she was nuts. It was a size 10 and I wore a street size 0. I felt like I was holding a satin blanket around myself. She clipped it back and i was in love
30.gif
. I did not want to take it off, I could not stop smiling or looking at myself in the mirror.

Hopefully you will find the one you wont ever want to take off.
I think trying everything on is a good idea. I''m still on a budget for the gown, but trying on everything in that budget should help me find something. I''ll try to have an open mind and even try on the pouffy gowns (LOL) or something I wouldn''t normally pick out. How wonderful you found an awesome gown!!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well this might sound crazy, but I would kind of do my makeup and hair (not like wedding ready, but maybe going out-ish) and I would bring some nice white shoes. For me anyways, sometimes my mood or the way I precieve a dress is based on how I feel about myself (i.e if I have hair in a ragged ponytail and the bride-store issue too big shoes) I tend to be a little less enthusiastic about a dress.

Good luck!

broadway

Rough_Rock
emteeth.gif
I don''t think you are crazy at all! Good luck with trying everything in sight on!! I don''t know what your feelings on the place are, but I seriously suggest checking out David''s Bridal. I went in on an "I just want to try on a dress and get it out of my system" whim and ended up finding a beautiful dress that I fell in love with on the first try. I had planned on going the regular bridal salon route, but was totally ecstatic with what I found at David''s... just a thought.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
I agree with allycat,

Nice makeup and kinda wedding hair. If you plan on wearing it down and curly, or up and away from the face, try and mimic the style you want in a casual way.

BTW: I too was against poofy. I wanted a simple A line or sheath and ended up with a ballgown skirt with box pleats. I could have hidden 3 grown men under that skirt with room to spare
31.gif

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
good luck!

I wanted poofy and would only try on poofy, I ended up with a trumpet/mermaid dress I would have never tried that syle on if I hadn''t seen "the one" in a magazine and then that was all I would try on! So yeah definitely try everything on!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 6:51:42 PM
Author: allycat0303
Well this might sound crazy, but I would kind of do my makeup and hair (not like wedding ready, but maybe going out-ish) and I would bring some nice white shoes. For me anyways, sometimes my mood or the way I precieve a dress is based on how I feel about myself (i.e if I have hair in a ragged ponytail and the bride-store issue too big shoes) I tend to be a little less enthusiastic about a dress.

Good luck!
This is a great idea! I actually already have some wedding shoes and jewelry I was hoping to wear and I will definitely bring them!! Thanks for the idea.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 6:52:32 PM
Author: broadway
emteeth.gif
I don''t think you are crazy at all! Good luck with trying everything in sight on!! I don''t know what your feelings on the place are, but I seriously suggest checking out David''s Bridal. I went in on an ''I just want to try on a dress and get it out of my system'' whim and ended up finding a beautiful dress that I fell in love with on the first try. I had planned on going the regular bridal salon route, but was totally ecstatic with what I found at David''s... just a thought.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
I''ve ventured in there before and they do have reasonably priced gowns. I hated the people there, but I would go again. They do have some nice gowns.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 7:01:04 PM
Author: ponderer
I agree with allycat,

Nice makeup and kinda wedding hair. If you plan on wearing it down and curly, or up and away from the face, try and mimic the style you want in a casual way.

BTW: I too was against poofy. I wanted a simple A line or sheath and ended up with a ballgown skirt with box pleats. I could have hidden 3 grown men under that skirt with room to spare
31.gif
heehee, it sounds like a lot of brides end up getting something unexpected!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 7:07:39 PM
Author: Diamonds are Hot!
good luck!

I wanted poofy and would only try on poofy, I ended up with a trumpet/mermaid dress I would have never tried that syle on if I hadn''t seen ''the one'' in a magazine and then that was all I would try on! So yeah definitely try everything on!
Thanks for the luck! I will try to keep an open mind, especially because a lot of you have been saying how they ended up with something different.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I certainly don''t think you''re crazy, we changed everything around not long ago...
28.gif
And when I went dress shopping, I wanted anything but strapless, but I ended up picking strapless.
19.gif
Have fun shopping!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 7:13:57 PM
Author: anchor31
I certainly don''t think you''re crazy, we changed everything around not long ago...
28.gif
And when I went dress shopping, I wanted anything but strapless, but I ended up picking strapless.
19.gif
Have fun shopping!
Well, thank goodness somebody doesn''t think I''m crazy heehee! FI thinks I''m a little nuts for going out there again and finding another gown. His thought on the other dress was...it looks like a wedding gown, what''s wrong with it??? LOL, men!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you decide to get all dolled up and go, just keep in mind that many bridal salons will not like it as the makeup rubs off on their gowns as you are putting them off and taking them off. A couple of the salon I went to asked girls if they would please take off thier lipstick... some of them handled the gowns with gloves only. I just did some basic eye makeup (Laura Mercier eyshadow primer and mascara with a thin eye line) and I bit my lip and pinched my cheeks for color once I had narrowed the dresses down to two or three that I liked. It works.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 7:17:35 PM
Author: Gypsy
If you decide to get all dolled up and go, just keep in mind that many bridal salons will not like it as the makeup rubs off on their gowns as you are putting them off and taking them off. A couple of the salon I went to asked girls if they would please take off thier lipstick... some of them handled the gowns with gloves only. I just did some basic eye makeup (Laura Mercier eyshadow primer and mascara with a thin eye line) and I bit my lip and pinched my cheeks for color once I had narrowed the dresses down to two or three that I liked. It works.
Thanks for the tip, I will leave my makeup a little light. I think if I do my eyes at the least this should help give me an idea.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I agree on the makeup and hair thing.
5.gif

You could be really surprised by what you like. My dress is a fairy princess goes ballerina style. Soooo not what I''d thought I''d get!
9.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I think you definitely have to love your gown and feel comfortable in it. Good luck! I hope you take pictures!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 7:20:24 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 3/1/2007 7:17:35 PM
Author: Gypsy
Thanks for the tip, I will leave my makeup a little light. I think if I do my eyes at the least this should help give me an idea.

Welcome.
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
K,

I''d probably do exactly what you''re doing! My wedding isn''t going to be fancy-schmancy, but I''m feeling pressure to ''step up the game'' myself. I just got my cousin''s wedding invitation in the mail and it''s beautiful. Our names were in perfect caligraphy!

Now, my DIY ideas are slowly flying out the window.
38.gif

I also want to say, in addition to what others are saying, to check out bridesmaid gowns as well. You seem to have a more sleek style like I do, and they have some GORGEOUS BM gowns out there available in white and ivory.

Like these, for example!
9.gif

Watters 9296

Alvina Valenta 8769

Just because your day is getting larger doesn''t mean you have to change your style! Good luck and take pictures, if you can!
9.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
For sure, you should definitely try on everything, even dresses you never thought would suit you!

How about having more than one dress? That is actually the trend in most Asian countries, where the bride has anywhere from 3 to 5 gowns that she changes into over the course of the 10-course banquet dinner!

If you''re finding it hard to make up your mind, maybe wear a more formal and traditional dress during the ceremony, then wear your flowy dress during the reception
1.gif
I''m doing something similar, wearing a traditional ''big white dress'' for the wedding, and a slinkier, sexier one for the reception. That way, I get the best of both worlds!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 8:07:05 PM
Author: robbie3982
I think you definitely have to love your gown and feel comfortable in it. Good luck! I hope you take pictures!
if they let me take pictures I will, or maybe I could sneak a few in the dressing room. heehee.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 8:16:05 PM
Author: EBree
K,

I''d probably do exactly what you''re doing! My wedding isn''t going to be fancy-schmancy, but I''m feeling pressure to ''step up the game'' myself. I just got my cousin''s wedding invitation in the mail and it''s beautiful. Our names were in perfect caligraphy!

Now, my DIY ideas are slowly flying out the window.
38.gif

I also want to say, in addition to what others are saying, to check out bridesmaid gowns as well. You seem to have a more sleek style like I do, and they have some GORGEOUS BM gowns out there available in white and ivory.

Like these, for example!
9.gif

Watters 9296

Alvina Valenta 8769

Just because your day is getting larger doesn''t mean you have to change your style! Good luck and take pictures, if you can!
9.gif
lovely gowns! I will definitely consider bridesmaid gowns, they are very budget friendly. Some of them could *easily* pass for wedding gowns. They are making bridesmaid gowns super formal these days and with decent fabric. I''ve seen watters and watters gowns in person and the satin fabric feels thick and bridal.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 8:56:25 PM
Author: wolftress
For sure, you should definitely try on everything, even dresses you never thought would suit you!

How about having more than one dress? That is actually the trend in most Asian countries, where the bride has anywhere from 3 to 5 gowns that she changes into over the course of the 10-course banquet dinner!

If you''re finding it hard to make up your mind, maybe wear a more formal and traditional dress during the ceremony, then wear your flowy dress during the reception
1.gif
I''m doing something similar, wearing a traditional ''big white dress'' for the wedding, and a slinkier, sexier one for the reception. That way, I get the best of both worlds!
I''ve never thought of doing this, but I''ll definitely consider it if my other gown doesn''t sell on ebay very well. It could be fun, I''d feel like a diva!

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I don''t blame you one bit, KC!

What woman, in her right mind, would want their guests leaving thinking the prime rib was better dressed than the Bride??!!

A thought for you,.......... I know times are different and so are the dresses, but, if your gonna wear a veil........

My sister bought an inexpensive, classic yet elegant, wedding gown. Sis wanted short or cap sleeves, empire waistline, and a bit of a train in the back. Sis was, and still is, top heavy. She sunk her bigger bucks in her veil and head piece. And it was wonderful!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 11:10:15 PM
Author: Finding_Neverland

What woman, in her right mind, would want their guests leaving thinking the prime rib was better dressed than the Bride??!!

A thought for you,.......... I know times are different and so are the dresses, but, if your gonna wear a veil........

My sister bought an inexpensive, classic yet elegant, wedding gown. Sis wanted short or cap sleeves, empire waistline, and a bit of a train in the back. Sis was, and still is, top heavy. She sunk her bigger bucks in her veil and head piece. And it was wonderful!!
heehee, let''s hope the hunk of beef doesn''t look better than me LOL!! Your sister''s attire sounds lovely! I haven''t decided on a veil yet, but my mom and I bought some really nice French lace that we might work in somewhere.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 11:22:08 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Date: 3/1/2007 11:10:15 PM

Author: Finding_Neverland

heehee, let''s hope the hunk of beef doesn''t look better than me LOL!! Your sister''s attire sounds lovely! I haven''t decided on a veil yet, but my mom and I bought some really nice French lace that we might work in somewhere.

We did that. To get the elegant touches that would cost a minor fortune otherwise.

Sis bought thread, beads, and sequens. We embellished the bodice and hem of her dress and beaded the veil and head piece. You can save tons on the price, if you have the time and "cheap" labor!
2.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think you''re nuts at all :) In fact, I empathize due to my own changing issue lol. I changed gown styles because I assumed what style I would love most, didn''t try on anything other than what I thought I loved most, and then went from there. I had my first gown within 6 weeks of getting engaged. Because I didnt'' think I''d care so much for how a dress I was to wear for 6-hours only would be made, I got it custom made online for $200 bucks. Fast forward 3 months and I have a different style gown that caused my bridesmaid dresses to change too lol.

But I''m sooooo grateful I was able to see the light in time!

Liquiddazi

Shiny_Rock
I can completely see how that would happen! I fight almost every day to make sure my wedding day doesn''t turn out that way! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results