shape
carat
color
clarity

YooHoo!? FlyGirl?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Are you out there?

Your pendant has always been a favourite of mine. I am trying to do a new pendant, and have found a beautiful oval opal stone. Would you be offended, if I incorporated some of your design elements into it?

It wouldn''t be identical, but I really like how your oval sits on the horizontal, and incorporates both white and yellow gold. I have a few RB''s from another piece that I could incorporate (a.k.a. recycle!) into this new one.

I hope you don''t mind. Would you have any suggestions or warnings as to the design? Did you run into any difficulties setting the stone, or, does the pendant flip on your neck? It doesn''t look like it would.

LS

(pic attached below for reference)

Foo325.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the opal:
LS

Foo326.jpg

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
That is a gorgeous opal, Lost Sapphire. I thnk it would look great if you incorporated part of FlyGirl''s pendant. One of these days I am going to get something made by TLee.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!PoW!! That is one fantastic opal!!!

And it will look great! in a setting related to that one you posted.
I assume its the one flygirl made/designed? That is really good.

I''m crazy for opal though havent any. I remember long ago when I was a teenager
I worked doing some cooking for a woman in my town who was as wealthy as she was old
and she had some opals from Burma that are still flashing brilliantly in my memory. She had gotten them in the ''20s. I''ve never heard of Burmese opals again. Do any of you know of them or even have some?

That''s a magical stone you have there LS.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi LS! Thanks for the call out. As Cind11 says, the designer is T Lee. I took my stones in to her, and said I wanted a pendant, and she sketched out the design. It uses white and yellow gold, she left the ends of the aqua open to bring light into the stone, and I especially like the way the design draws the eye down to it when the pendant is being worn. It is wide at the top, and narrower as you go to the bottom. T uses a lot of ovoid shapes, spheres and portions of circles in her designs. Link My pendant is towards the end of the Collections - Custom set of photos. I think T has especially distinctive bales--big circular bales that you can fit about any size chain through. The piece does rock a bit against my chest, because of the bale.

I don''t mind your taking inspiration from the design. Nope, that pendant never flips. It is a nice substantial piece.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 11:33:46 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Hi LS! Thanks for the call out. As Cind11 says, the designer is T Lee. I took my stones in to her, and said I wanted a pendant, and she sketched out the design. It uses white and yellow gold, she left the ends of the aqua open to bring light into the stone, and I especially like the way the design draws the eye down to it when the pendant is being worn. It is wide at the top, and narrower as you go to the bottom. T uses a lot of ovoid shapes, spheres and portions of circles in her designs. Link My pendant is towards the end of the Collections - Custom set of photos. I think T has especially distinctive bales--big circular bales that you can fit about any size chain through. The piece does rock a bit against my chest, because of the bale.

I don't mind your taking inspiration from the design. Nope, that pendant never flips. It is a nice substantial piece.
Thanks FlyGirl!

I'll see if I can get the stone. In the meantime, I'll look at TLee's website (I didn't know who it was who made your pendant).

LS

ETA: OMG I just looked at her site! talk about eye candy! So many beautiful shapes (and you're right about the ovoids - love that!) I'll sketch something up once I get the stone and see if this can come to fruition.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy looking at T Lee's eye candy. As you can see, she uses gorgeous materials. I was just at a Roger Dery round table there last month and a Richard Homer round table last year. Those top cutters love having her use their stones. I asked RH if he ever envisioned how his stones would be used in jewelry, and he said no, he left that up to creative people like T.

That is a stunning opal. Wow! That would make a gorgeous pendant.
36.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2010 11:51:08 PM
Enjoy looking at T Lee''s eye candy. As you can see, she uses gorgeous materials. I was just at a Roger Dery round table there last month and a Richard Homer round table last year. Those top cutters love having her use their stones. I asked RH if he ever envisioned how his stones would be used in jewelry, and he said no, he left that up to creative people like T.

That is a stunning opal. Wow! That would make a gorgeous pendant.
36.gif
There are some stunning pendants on that site. WoW.

Thanks for the help.
LS

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl, I love T. Lee''s designs! Wow. You have excellent taste between your RH concave rubies, your rose quartz cab, your earring charms and the pendant that LS posted. Seriously, how do you even chose in the morning?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
LS - You are most welcome. It is truly my pleasure. I''ll be following your project with great interest.

IL - Thank you so much for the compliment. It is great to have such nice fans.

As for how I choose what to wear, for some reason I was inspired to wear the pendant shown below today.
9.gif
Go figure.
2.gif

Thank you again!
1.gif

AquaPend9231.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Losty, the opal (if you decide it''s big enough) will make a beautiful pendant a la Flygirl''s. It''s a gorgeous design (and I''m not much of a pendant kind of gal). And if you decide it''s too small, it will make a kick-ass ring!

Flygirly, your response to Losty was very supportive - good on you!
36.gif
36.gif

I''m off to look at your linky now
35.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great design and beautiful opal.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 11:53:25 AM
LS - You are most welcome. It is truly my pleasure. I'll be following your project with great interest.

As for how I choose what to wear, for some reason I was inspired to wear the pendant shown below today.
9.gif
Go figure.
2.gif

Thank you again!
1.gif
Wow what a beautiful neck shot!! Thank you for posting it! It gives me a good sense of the size/scale/proportion.

Do you have a pic of the back? (not trying to be nosey...am just interested!) I love the design and how you incorporated those extra stones. I have a few extras myself, so the design will have to come from the opal and the # of stones we can use.

There's something about this pendant that really strikes a chord with me. Somehow architectural yet organic. And almost an asian element to it. I like how it is narrower at the bottom than the top, yet the upper components balance it completely. Your designer truly worked some magic.

LS

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 12:10:29 PM
Author: Gailey
Losty, the opal (if you decide it''s big enough) will make a beautiful pendant a la Flygirl''s. It''s a gorgeous design (and I''m not much of a pendant kind of gal). And if you decide it''s too small, it will make a kick-ass ring!

36.gif
36.gif

35.gif
I agree Gailey: she could have kicked me and my snooping to the curb!

LS

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 3:10:45 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 3/7/2010 11:53:25 AM
LS - You are most welcome. It is truly my pleasure. I'll be following your project with great interest.

9.gif
Go figure.
2.gif

Thank you again!
1.gif
Wow what a beautiful neck shot!! Thank you for posting it! It gives me a good sense of the size/scale/proportion.

Do you have a pic of the back? (not trying to be nosey...am just interested!) I love the design and how you incorporated those extra stones. I have a few extras myself, so the design will have to come from the opal and the # of stones we can use.

There's something about this pendant that really strikes a chord with me. Somehow architectural yet organic. And almost an asian element to it. I like how it is narrower at the bottom than the top, yet the upper components balance it completely. Your designer truly worked some magic.

LS
LS - Here is a shot of the back. As you can see, it is beautifully executed. As I recall, the yellow gold is 18k, and the white gold portions are 14k. Hence the markings on the back.

aquapendback9245.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 3:11:49 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 3/7/2010 12:10:29 PM
Author: Gailey

36.gif
36.gif

35.gif
I agree Gailey: she could have kicked me and my snooping to the curb!

LS
Frankly, I love supporting designers like T Lee. I''m hoping that even if LS doesn''t use her (and I rather hope you will consider it) that others on PS will. I could never, ever, have developed a design that was so balanced and cool looking. T truly has a gift. I''m sure that if you showed her your stones, she would come up with something just right for them. I think her designs all have that WOW factor.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a side shot. She took care to make sure the aqua was well protected in the basket. We agreed that the sides of the aqua did not need to be bezeled, but should be open to let in light. The piece lays nicely against the skin and is a nice weight. She really thought about the placement of each stone. It was her suggestion to use the gold spheres on each side of my orange diamond. It would have been great if I had three matching stones for the top, but her suggestion was brilliant. The white diamond on the bottom was my original e-ring stone. She could have sourced a different one for me, but I wanted to reuse the little thing. The greenish aqua was a natural unheated stone from Wildfishgems.

aquapendside9243.JPG

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 5:07:55 PM
Here is a side shot. She took care to make sure the aqua was well protected in the basket. We agreed that the sides of the aqua did not need to be bezeled, but should be open to let in light. The piece lays nicely against the skin and is a nice weight. She really thought about the placement of each stone. It was her suggestion to use the gold spheres on each side of my orange diamond. It would have been great if I had three matching stones for the top, but her suggestion was brilliant. The white diamond on the bottom was my original e-ring stone. She could have sourced a different one for me, but I wanted to reuse the little thing. The greenish aqua was a natural unheated stone from Wildfishgems.
FG these pics are awesome! Thank you so much for taking them, it gives me a really good idea of the infrastructure behind the design.

The opal I''m looking at has some "sand" along the edge, which means it needs to be bezeled, and that would be fine.

Can you tell me the size of the aqua? I have a to-scale print of the opal taped to my neck/chest. And I''m concerned that this stone might be a bit big (22mm x 11mm). It''s approx 3/4" long....

Thanks again for the pics. They''re FAB.

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I thought T Lee''s designs were really interesting. Some of them reminded me of Canadian Inukshuks.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her rings must be so comfortable!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi again, LS. My aqua is 4.1 ct and between 13 x 9 mm and 14 x 10 mm. Overall, the finished piece is 30 mm long. Certainly not as large as what you are looking at, but I''m sure the larger opal would look amazing in a pendant. I agree that a bezel for an opal would be fine. It all depends on the size piece you are looking for.

Gaily - I''ve noticed that T Lee''s work often shows has some Asian influence, like a Chinese doorway.

crasru - A T Lee ring is definitely on my wishlist when I can work it into my setting budget. She showed me her pink tourmaline ring that she made for herself that she wears even while making jewelry. It has taken a beating and the tourmaline needs to be recut, but yes, the ring is comfortable and she enjoys it, and why shouldn''t people enjoy their jewelry? Of course, I suppose it helps that she can reset her own stone.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results