Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Yikes, scary!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Messages
2,669
I saw that last night, scary.

They have found drug resistant strep in my children''s school!!! Really awful stuff.

Hygene is so important, more than ever.
 

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
7,074
Date: 11/16/2007 7:07:54 AM
Author:Hudson_Hawk
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071116/ap_on_he_me/deadly_virus;_ylt=ApDS8dwNhTcxOzQD4uClg2rVJRIF


All I can say is Purell, Purell, Purell. Wash your hands thoroughly and as often as you can ladies.
Wash your hand, yes. Purell, NO! Purell was created for hospital and laboratory use and should not be used useless you have absoltely no other way to wash your hand.

Misuse and abuse of antibiotic products is the reason why the viruses and bacteria mutate and become increasingly dangerous. Plus, we weaken our immune system if we are never exposed to germs. The two together are a deadly combinaison indeed...

As a biology major and a guide in a bioscience museum, the paranoia and madness must stop now. 5% of germs are pathogens, and many (if not most) are opportunistic. So when we disinfect everything systematically and destroy the other 95%, which are often essential to our well-being, the pathogens have room to grow... and voilà, we are sick.

Yes, clean your homes, wash your hands, but do not disinfect everything all the time. Use antibacterial soap in the kitchn only, use non anti-bacterial environment-friendly products in your homes. Please, let''s not make the problem worse.
 

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
31,003
seems like every year there are a few more of those resistant strains of bacteria. over overuse of antibiotics and things like antibacterials probably do contribute. i try to not get too anal about stuff but i do wash my hands a lot. what doesn''t kill us makes us stronger?
 

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Messages
2,669
Great point about anti-baterial products.

I won''t buy anti-bactiral soap for my home because studies have shown that regular soap does just as good a job. I think that the anti-baterial products have helped to create the mess.
 

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Messages
29,570
One of our friends had it this summer. He was in the hospital for weeks. He''s lucky to be alive.
 

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
528
Date: 11/16/2007 10:26:53 AM
Author: anchor31

Wash your hand, yes. Purell, NO! Purell was created for hospital and laboratory use and should not be used useless you have absoltely no other way to wash your hand.

Misuse and abuse of antibiotic products is the reason why the viruses and bacteria mutate and become increasingly dangerous. Plus, we weaken our immune system if we are never exposed to germs. The two together are a deadly combinaison indeed...

As a biology major and a guide in a bioscience museum, the paranoia and madness must stop now. 5% of germs are pathogens, and many (if not most) are opportunistic. So when we disinfect everything systematically and destroy the other 95%, which are often essential to our well-being, the pathogens have room to grow... and voilà, we are sick.

Yes, clean your homes, wash your hands, but do not disinfect everything all the time. Use antibacterial soap in the kitchn only, use non anti-bacterial environment-friendly products in your homes. Please, let''s not make the problem worse.
Agreed, on all points. Well said.
 

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 18, 2006
Messages
4,101
I think products such as Purell are safe to use since they are alcohol based and not anti-bacterial. They actually kill the germs. I believe it is the products containing triclosan (in lotions etc.) that are labeled ''anti-bacterial'' may cause germs to mutate. I could be wrong though.
 

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
7,074
Date: 11/16/2007 10:30:47 AM
Author: Mara
seems like every year there are a few more of those resistant strains of bacteria. over overuse of antibiotics and things like antibacterials probably do contribute. i try to not get too anal about stuff but i do wash my hands a lot. what doesn''t kill us makes us stronger?
Yup, exactly. Our immune system is just like the rest of our systems... It must "stay in shape".
 

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Sep 26, 2006
Messages
1,895
Date: 11/16/2007 12:41:28 PM
Author: Miranda
I think products such as Purell are safe to use since they are alcohol based and not anti-bacterial. They actually kill the germs. I believe it is the products containing triclosan (in lotions etc.) that are labeled ''anti-bacterial'' may cause germs to mutate. I could be wrong though.
Purell is used in hospitals because hospital employees are exposed to a LOT of "bad" germs all the time and they don''t necessarily have time to wash their hands after every doorknob or pen or elevator button that they touch. Purell kills both "good" and "bad" germs. Using Purell in a setting where there aren''t a lot of "bad" germs, like at home, is not really necessary because all you are killing off are the "good" germs. The "good" germs are protective because they can fight the "bad" germs themselves (very important especially in the digestive system. Everyone has "good" germs in your digestive system, but if you are on antibiotics for a long time, an imbalance occurs which is very detrimental...too few good germs, which allows any bad germ that comes in, to flourish). I believe Purell is an anti-microbial so it is an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal. Some believe it is useful to have anti-microbials in the kitchen because kitchens have a lot of "bad" germs (salmonella, e.coli, etc). I carry around Purell even when I''m not in the hospital because I ride subways and buses, and lots of sick people ride the subways and buses too. I don''t know if they''ve washed their hands before they touched the seat, pole, or door. So when I think of it, I pull the Purell out and use some b/c sometimes without thinking, I touch my lips or rub my nose, thereby transferring the cold virus or flu virus or who knows what else.

There are some reports that triclosan, when mixed with water, becomes a carcinogen. Perhaps this is what causes the germs to mutate, if it actually is true. Some people think that using alcohol based or triclosan based products causes the germs to "evolve" and become resistant.

Overuse of any anti-microbial will cause an imbalance of "good" vs. "bad" germs, allowing "bad" germs to have a party.
 

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
12,145
Date: 11/16/2007 12:41:28 PM
Author: Miranda
I think products such as Purell are safe to use since they are alcohol based and not anti-bacterial. They actually kill the germs. I believe it is the products containing triclosan (in lotions etc.) that are labeled ''anti-bacterial'' may cause germs to mutate. I could be wrong though.
Irrespective of that, I no longer purchase anything with triclosan in it, as the compound is similar to a developmental hormone and in that regard potentially be harmful to young children. Normal soap is perfectly fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top