shape
carat
color
clarity

yet another Tiffany question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stewie

Rough_Rock
First of all, as a relatively new lurker, I want to thank everyone here for providing me with an education in this area. However, I still have many questions, which some of you can hopefully help me out with.

My girl loves the Lucida. I have talked to her about it (slyly, of course), and while she is willing to compromise, I want to knock her socks off. After all, this is something she will have for the rest of her life, and I figure I can afford the extra bucks.

Unfortunately, as I do not have a Tiffany store in my town, the transaction will likely take place over the internet/phone. I have visited the store in another city and talked to the gemologist briefly, getting ideas re: price, etc.

I would like to know if the Good Old Gold website illustrations be replicated by any jeweller (specifically, Tiffany)? I'm dropping a lot of coin here, so I'm assuming I will get great service and that they will respond to my every request. I would like digital snapshots that are up to the quality of that provided by Jonathan. Would that be reasonable to ask?

Basically, after this long-winded post, I just want to know what exactly I should be looking for and asking for. The process will work over email/phone initially, then the ring would be shipped out to me for approval. Before I "close the deal," what should my questions/concerns be?

Thank you all in advance for any responses!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sure many others will add in their two cents...but here is what I can offer.

A previous poster here a few months ago was selling his Tiffany ring. Since I have never purchased a ring from Tiffany, I was intrigued to read about what the ring came with. It came with a Tiffany letter (thanks for purchasing), a Tiffany appraisal (their idea of a certification/appraisal for replacement value) and the ring/box/bag etc. So with a Tiff ring you will not get a certificate from the GIA or AGS or similar, but rather a certificate from Tiffany stating its their stone and ring.

Now for a little digression. Personally, I love Tiffany--I have some of their jewelry, but I know it comes with a steep markup for the brand name. There have been many debates about them on this board. And I know this is not what you asked, but I wanted to offer up another suggestion. We all know that Tiffany supposedly carries the top-notch-quality stuff that you are paying the extra bucks for (and oh you are paying...), but it has never really seemed to have been determined that those extra bucks actually relate to anything better looking in the actual stone or ring. Sure you might get a VS1, E stone in the process, but is that all? Has anyone ever gotten their Tiffany ring appraised and found that..wow its worth what I paid or even more? Have any experts taken a Tiffany stone and compared to to an H&A or similar for fun?

I would suggest checking out the cuts that are similar to the Tiffany Lucida on some online sites, and then get the Vatche setting that is the exact same one that Tiffany uses for their Lucida, but they just mark 'Tiffany' on it and suddenly its worth hundreds more. I would assume that Tiffany uses good old normal ideal diamonds for their rings, you might be able to do one better by finding your own, and save yourself some money in the process. Your girlfriend will still get the same thing in the end, but without the small engraved letters on the band. What's more important?

If this is not what you are interested in, then by all means, get the Tiffany! They are gorgeous rings, supposedly good quality, and have a great marketing department. :) You might want to get an independent appraisal when you receive the stone just to clarify that the stone you received does in fact match their records, and your expectations on cut/color/clarity, etc. I'd be very interested if you did go this route..and would love to see what the appraiser said about this ring compared to other 'top quality' stones he might have seen recently.

Also, no you will not find any information such as what GoodOldGold has on their site from Tiffany. They expect that their brand name will convey to the average consumer that their products are only top-notch. I would be surprised if they would even snap a picture of the diamond to send it to you etc. This again is why I would suggest you look into purchasing a loose stone from a reputable online dealer, and then getting the x-prong lucida setting..you know exactly what is going into the ring, the stone you chose.

My 2 cents..good luck! :)

TheRock

Rough_Rock
here's a good Lucida thread to check out, with lots of opinions. (sorry, not sure how to make live links here, you'll have to cut and paste into your browser):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-lucida-pricing.1430/

--TheRock

optimized

Shiny_Rock
I can help with the link TheRock mentioned:

Btw Rock, if you ever want to make a link, just follow the following format (I'll use the address of the thread I linked above as the example):

(url=https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-lucida-pricing.1430/)Tiffany Lucida pricing(/url)

NOTE: You must replace the ( parentheses ) I used above with to make it show up as a link.

Inside the first set of brackets is the note "url=" followed immediately with the website address. Then you can enter descriptive text that will show up underlined on the screen. You close the link by putting "/url" inside another set of brackets after the descriptive text. On RockyTalk addresses, you can delete everything after the "topicID=####" since the rest of that cryptic-looking stuff actually just pertains to your individual "session" on the site, and only confuses the issue further. :)

in a post and it all looks very fluid (that last link just leads right back to this thread, btw).

-Tim[/u]
[/u]

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you posted this Tim as I tried to do a link this morning in another thread using the typical HTML (a href) but found the board did not support it. Figured the board didn't support links (though I had seen Leonid do them before), and gave up. This will help in the future.

TheRock

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Tim! It's a BIG help!

--TheRock

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

Yeah, I first tried using HTML to make a link a while back (seemed a logical way to make one come up on an HTML msg board page), and of course it didn't work. As it turns out though, this "IdealBB" url code is actually sleeker and easier to use than HTML links while still being quite similar, eh?

Rock,

No problem at all. Glad to help. :)

-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results