shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet Another Pearl Stud Quest - Input Appreciated!

AntiqueSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Diving into the world of akoyas thanks to you ladies. Starting with the basic but classic. Been speaking with Takahashi, looking to get 8-8.5mm. The two left sets (upper & bottom) were recommended. The bottom pair having stronger pink overtones. Thoughts??

The photos look a tad unimpressed to me but I know that can be the case with their photos… 8D63513E-850F-4477-99C0-B5A2C1E976B4.jpeg
These should hold me over until I can get gem akoyas one day… but smaller (7.5- 8?) due to price.

@yssie? Any pearl savvy PSers want to chime in?

Last edited:

AntiqueSparkle

Shiny_Rock
0A9E9116-9E01-4DEC-A0BE-EA2DA1B195F9.jpeg

In this photo:

Left is the top left pair from above post
Right is the bottom left pair from above picture (stronger pink overtones)

it seems here the luster is better on the right pair.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
0A9E9116-9E01-4DEC-A0BE-EA2DA1B195F9.jpeg

In this photo:

Left is the top left pair from above post
Right is the bottom left pair from above picture (stronger pink overtones)

it seems here the luster is better on the right pair.

I’m not crazy about the luster of the pair on the left but they seem to be a better match for each other

the colors of the right side pair in the hand shot dont seem to be a perfect match but maybe it’s just the photo (the right side having more warmth, and more cool tones / blue on the left pearl)…will wait for @yssie to chime in

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @Cerulean - bottom left is more lustrous, too left is better matched…

I’m sure you already know that really good match with excellent luster will cost a lot more than Takahashi. But… You mention that you want to get a gem pair one day, may I recommend putting this $$ toward that and not even buying these? As in - get the “best” that you know you want first, and compromise down from there with knowing eyes and informed opinion, rather than going the other way and then potentially having invested money into a quality that’s no longer mind clean for you…

Last edited:

AntiqueSparkle

Shiny_Rock
@Cerulean and @yssie, thank you for your input and wisdom!
That’s the thing right? Thanks to the immense wealth of knowledge this forum is imparting… I can’t unsee what I’ve seen and can’t unlearn all the knowledge. Oblivion was bliss…sorta :lol-2:

Now only the best will be mind clean…

I will be putting $ towards a higher quality in the future. Thank you both again.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean and @yssie, thank you for your input and wisdom!
That’s the thing right? Thanks to the immense wealth of knowledge this forum is imparting… I can’t unsee what I’ve seen and can’t unlearn all the knowledge. Oblivion was bliss…sorta :lol-2:

Now only the best will be mind clean…

I will be putting $ towards a higher quality in the future. Thank you both again.

I think it’ll be worth the wait. Gemmy Akoyas are so special. I love mine and wear them all the time - and they just… glow!

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I bought 7.5-8 gem akoyas from Andrew Moline. They are absolutely lovely. I would have loved bigger (ideally 8.5-9) studs but couldn't justify spending that kind of money. So I bought the size of gem quality that I felt comfortable with price wise.

A short time later I decided I really did want to add bigger studs to my collection but still didn't want to spend the money on gem quality (and obviously the bigger you go in size the much bigger the price tag gets for gem quality), I purchased from Takahashi. The luster isn't the same but I didn't expect it to be and I'm very happy with both of my purchases.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought 7.5-8 gem akoyas from Andrew Moline. They are absolutely lovely. I would have loved bigger (ideally 8.5-9) studs but couldn't justify spending that kind of money. So I bought the size of gem quality that I felt comfortable with price wise.

A short time later I decided I really did want to add bigger studs to my collection but still didn't want to spend the money on gem quality (and obviously the bigger you go in size the much bigger the price tag gets for gem quality), I purchased from Takahashi. The luster isn't the same but I didn't expect it to be and I'm very happy with both of my purchases.
That's exactly the way to do it IMO! Buy the best that's available to you first, and then decide what you do or don't want to spend money on :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results