shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another newbie flailing around....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MikeS

Rough_Rock
Another newbie here
emsmiled.gif

I''ve been reading the boards in advance of actually purchasing an engagement ring - checked out a few BM and was totally dissatisfied. So I''m now looking online, and I''m getting overwhelmed.
I''m looking for a 0.9-1.1 round stone that will go in a three-stone setting, preferably F-H, VVS1-VS2, somewhere in the $5K-$6K neighborhood.
I''ve looked at Mondera and seen some nice looking stones, but they don''t show the certs so I don''t know the crown and pavilion and so I can''t use the HCA....I''ve looked at WF but they don''t seem to have many stones that fit my criteria, especially price...BN seems to have the biggest selection and the lowest prices but that doesn''t seem to jibe with what I''ve read about BN on the boards.
Can someone help point me in the right direction?
Thanks...and thanks for all the helpful information here
emsmile.gif

MikeS

Rough_Rock
wow...that was quick...you people are good
emteeth.gif

hope you''ll keep it coming :)
5-6K is the budget for the stone.

MikeS

Rough_Rock
Wow...to quote one of my favorite lines from the movie "Broadcast News"....."I say it here...it comes out there!" thanks
emteeth.gif

One question, though - (not to denegrate any of the companies frequently mentioned here in any way, it''s just that I''m a cynic lol) - you can call the companies and they''ll honestly tell you if an SI1 is eyeclean?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 5:10:37 PM
Author: MikeS
One question, though - (not to denegrate any of the companies frequently mentioned here in any way, it''s just that I''m a cynic lol) - you can call the companies and they''ll honestly tell you if an SI1 is eyeclean?

That is what I hear . . . my diamond was a VS2 so I didn''t have to ask about the eye-clean thing but they did tell me that the strong fluor did not make the diamond look oily or milky when I asked them . . .

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
MikeS,

I have an SI1 and asked Whiteflash to tell me at what distance they could see the inclusions. They told me under 10X magnification (and my inclusions looked SCARY) I''ve looked at my stone next to my sister''s VVS1 from far, close, under an ordinary magnifying glass (like the detectives use), upside down, both of the stones are exactly the same to me. I think it''s in their best intrest to tell you if a stone is eye-clean because chances are if you recieve it and don''t like it, you''re going to send it back (and probably buy from someone else).

Good luck on your search and welcome to PS!

MikeS

Rough_Rock
Thanks...that helps a lot :)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 5:10:37 PM

i have purchased from whiteflash several times and can tell you that my si stones are perfectly eyeclean. i would trust them explicitly. they probably even border on the conservative side. it is a waste of time and money to send something that is less than described.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 8:57:01 PM
Author: belle
i have purchased from whiteflash several times and can tell you that my si stones are perfectly eyeclean. i would trust them explicitly. they probably even border on the conservative side. it is a waste of time and money to send something that is less than described.
Ditto.

MikeS

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Since I'm admittedly a novice, and haven't found a true H&A at the BM that I've looked at in order to totally visually grasp the "difference," I'm still a little unsure about comparing "A vs.B."
I'm looking at these two:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-179736.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=48597

The ACA is $200 more (which I'm guessing would be evened out with the pricescope discount), but the the second one is E vs. G and slightly larger. Both are strong on HCA.
Where do I go from here?

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go with #2 . . . you get bigger and pay a little less . . . . . . most will probably pick the ACA but I'd pick the other . . . just my $0.02

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 9:35:32 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Since I''m admittedly a novice, and haven''t found a true H&A at the BM that I''ve looked at in order to totally visually grasp the ''difference,'' I''m still a little unsure about comparing ''A vs.B.''
I''m looking at these two:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-179736.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=48597

The ACA is $200 more (which I''m guessing would be evened out with the pricescope discount), but the the second one is E vs. G and slightly larger. Both are strong on HCA.
Where do I go from here?

both look great, well done!
i''m not a total size whore but i think i would pick the very slightly bigger one.
3.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Really - either one is going to look beautiful, and in reality, either one is going to look materially the same sizewise when worn alone on the hand.

That said, if you have the budget, in this case, I''d go with the ACA. It''s a very nominal difference in price, and the Idealscope looks like they''ll be tremendous contrast.

Also, some people find they don''t like the uber-white coldness of D/E diamonds (depending on skin tone and preference), so G is a happy medium.

MikeS

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 10:00:25 PM
Author: aljdewey
Really - either one is going to look beautiful, and in reality, either one is going to look materially the same sizewise when worn alone on the hand.

That said, if you have the budget, in this case, I''d go with the ACA. It''s a very nominal difference in price, and the Idealscope looks like they''ll be tremendous contrast.

Also, some people find they don''t like the uber-white coldness of D/E diamonds (depending on skin tone and preference), so G is a happy medium.
Thanks...actually, that strikes a bell that I should have thought about before - I''m putting it in a 3-stone setting:
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WF-4072&size=6.50

and the other two stones probably won''t be as good a match color-wise if I go with the E color.
(I wish WF had more stock 3-stone settings; that was one thing that BN was terrific with.)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 11:10:13 PM

Thanks...actually, that strikes a bell that I should have thought about before - I''m putting it in a 3-stone setting:
http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WF-4072&size=6.50

and the other two stones probably won''t be as good a match color-wise if I go with the E color.
(I wish WF had more stock 3-stone settings; that was one thing that BN was terrific with.)
i absolutely love that setting. why do you think the sides won''t match?
33.gif

MikeS

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 8:54:19 AM
Author: belle

Date: 1/9/2007 11:10:13 PM

i absolutely love that setting. why do you think the sides won''t match?
33.gif
Just that they provide the two stones for the siders - and I doubt they''re providing E/F stones - if, for argument''s sake, they provide H stones, the contrast would probably be pretty obvious, I would guess.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can specify what color you want.

MikeS

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 1:09:30 PM
Author: JulieN
you can specify what color you want.
ah...didn''t realize that. thanks :)

anyone have any comments on that BN stone i posted last night?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 1:16:05 PM

I can''t find anything wrong with it, looks like a keeper.

MikeS

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 1:19:46 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/10/2007 1:16:05 PM

I can''t find anything wrong with it, looks like a keeper.
thanks...anyone else have any thoughts, particularly compared to the two WF stones I posted links to last night?

dach2k3

Rough_Rock
I didn''t buy from Whiteflash, but when i requested information about a certain Strong Blue Flour ring they told me that it did have a milky appearance and that it did affect the visual performance of the diamond.

I didn''t end up buying from them because I think i got a great deal elsewhere, but I wouldn''t hesitate to buy from them in the future because of their honesty in dealing w/ me.

MikeS

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback....I''ve ordered the ring from WF - they were terrific when I spoke with them (the stone was new to their inventory so their own people hadn''t personally inspected it yet. They called me back an hour later after they could inspect it to give me their own detailed description, wich was excellent). And even though they didn''t have the three-stone setting that I really wanted, they worked with me to pick an extremely similar solitaire setting that could be custom modified to a three-stone one, for only a few hundred dollars more.
I won''t have the ring for a couple of weeks (and I''m obviously anxious to see it) but just from the experience of the folks here at Pricescope and the people at WF (especially Sheerah)...I''ve very excited
1.gif

Thanks for your help, everyone
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results