shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another Help! with a ~3-3.5ct RB thread (with potentials and a bonus setting question)

Praxis

Rough_Rock
Hi folks! Reading through threads (and using the diamond search) here over the last few days have been extremely helpful, so first, thanks!

Now, on to the question (and said reading has suggested I ping @DejaWiz and @Kim N about this). I'm looking for a great-performing RB in the 3-3.5ct range, and trying to stay about $3000 for the diamond to leave headroom for a very nice setting (I will cover this below).

I've looked through the search engines here and stonealgo, and then directly through Ritani, LGD, DreamStone, Adiamor (discarding Whiteflash, JA, etc as pricey). I've focused on DEF VS1 stones, though I'm doubtful D (or even E?) is worth the premium for us.

Currently Adiamor seems to have the best pricing; I found the following candidates. I've mostly been looking at GAI and GCAL since I was slightly concerned based on research that IGI might be a bit soft on color, something I would think is hard to confirm when buying online. All of these appear to have good table/depth/crown angle/pavilion angle, though not ideal. On the other hand, I don't know my sparkle from my elbow when it comes to looking at loupe360 vids, so that's one big reason I'm here!

Low end (and slightly concerning there's no imagery on Adiamor's site, but the cert number has a loupe360)

Only a bit more for a jump to 3.3ct, and this has a video at the vendor

3.25ct and no imagery, but the numbers look good and it's an E

A dollar more for 1/5th a carat more, but back to F (and imagery)

Lastly I found this GCAL 8x (well, it's representative of ~4 or so like it). It's considerably more expensive and only ("only", heh) 3.06ct, and the numbers (or imagery) don't look meaningfully different to me, so I'd be interested in why it's so much more per ct (and if it should be worth considering despite the budget stretch).

Now, on to the Bonus Setting Question (which perhaps deserves its own thread). Background (feel free to skip to next paragraph:) My girlfriend and I have been talking about marriage for a while, and I was figuring to propose sometime around the end of this year or early next year. But her family is going to be in town over the holidays, and we agree it'd be much better to celebrate the engagement while they're here (i.e. by the end of December). Only came to that realization in the last week or so though, alas. With that context, the setting issue. We're concerned that a setting from one of these cheap online vendors will be, well, cheap. Heard some not-great things about Ritani's, for example. By contrast a Tacori setting she liked in a B&M store was 4.5k. So I suggested getting a custom setting, since all the ones she's seen so far have been not _quite_ perfect, and it's likely to be only a few thousand as far as I can tell. The problem with _that_, of course, is time. So now, after this recipe-intro-like background, the core questions.
Thanks folks!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
From your list the 3.43 is my favorite. I think at this point in time your only option is to buy a super cheap setting from your diamond vendor of choice if you want to propose by the end of the month. Even a good quality semi custom ring (something that a jeweler already makes, but tailored to your diamond) can take 2 weeks without any hiccups in production or shipping.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Praxis!
Agree with 0-0-0: the 3.43 looks the best out of them all, as the others have cut precision issues and the material quality is questionable.
Since we are in the midst of the holiday buying season, I'd even say plan for 3-4 weeks for the completion of the setting, but hope for the best that it takes less time than that.
I found a beautiful 3.3x E VS1 HPHT with a nice 40.6/34.8/56.5 combo for.under $2800 - let me know when you're actively on the forum and I'll post the link...or chat with me on Reddit since DM is disabled here (for all the right reasons).
Here's a bit of a sneak-peek:

Screenshot_20231209-080431-463.png

Screenshot_20231209-080455-827.png

Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem also announced some great news recently: he now is price matching the popular online sellers for diamonds that are also in his supply chain, plus vets those diamonds as part of his customer service package!

Screenshot_20231207-142421-802.png

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with 0-0-0: the 3.43 looks the best out of them all, as the others have cut precision issues and the material quality is questionable.
Since we are in the midst of the holiday buying season, I'd even say plan for 3-4 weeks for the completion of the setting, but hope for the best that it takes less time than that.
I found a beautiful 3.3x E VS1 HPHT with a nice 40.6/34.8/56.5 combo for.under $2800 - let me know when you're actively on the forum and I'll post the link...or chat with me on Reddit since DM is disabled here (for all the right reasons).

Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem also announced some great news recently: he now is price matching the popular online sellers for diamonds that are also in his supply chain, plus vets those diamonds as part of his customer service package!

This one from deja looks amazing. Otherwise the 3.43 looks good. And I agree a temporary setting is necessary for now and then you can design something with her.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Praxis contact Jon at Distinctive Gem ASAP...I bet he will have some great options for you and you'll get the peace of mind of a fully vetted diamond along with advanced images and videos - quite invaluable, especially when ordering a diamond online.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's fantastic news from Jon about Distinctive Gem. I also like both the 3.3x and 3.33 you've shared.

Praxis

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz thanks for the info and the recs! I'll reach out to @Rhino
Also there's been a sliiight bit of inflation, we're now targeting that 3.43 as the minimum, so 3.4-3.6. How it goes. :D

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
This is not helpful for your fast setting needs, but was browsing the Victor Canera page today and saw a recent ring that reminded me of one you posted. It's only missing the cathedral component. If you're looking for the final setting to be custom though, he'd be an excellent choice (especially if you want pave).

If the link breaks, search "Braided pave set ring with open profile"
1702665233285.png
1702665176004.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results