shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another FCD question

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I have found 4 diamonds that piqued my interest, and they're not from ebay. I know! I'm shocked as well. They're from starruby.in

I am trying to complement my other diamond that's being set.

Here they are in no particular order.

a. I like the color but not ecstatic about the cut
b. ignore this one, this only piqued my interest because of price, it's not really in the running
c. I wish it was a more warm color
d. It would be perfect but it's slightly more round than I like, but could grow to love.

I've sent an enquiry to the vendor asking if they're eye-clean, fluor and more pictures.

Your thoughts please on the stones and vendor.

I'm trying to compliment Colonel Mustard, my other FCD.

Untitledz.png

2642_di_image_b4376_1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one that is the big standout to me, by far, is D (the 27 point yellow pear). The first one has a window, and the other two are drab colors. I would ask about fluor as well. I hope you're not paying too much since they might not come with a GIA report.

I am unfamiliar with that vendor.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I do love chocolate but I've got my eyes on other colors for my rock collection. :naughty:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
davi_el_mejor said:
kenny said:
I think Colonel Mustard needs a shield.
This just showed up today.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/2404.htm

New pictures!!! that one has been on the short list for a while

TL, both pears have strong green fluor. I checked the return policy and it seems really solid

I love yellow diamonds with strong green fluor. It's like having a green diamond when the sun is out.

nararabbit

Shiny_Rock
The first pear has an awful cut. I love pears so I look at them near daily. You can see that the side isn't straight on the top right off the bat!

The bottom one is lovely though (but again, I LOVE pears so I'm very biased!)

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, So I've got it narrowed down between these two.
a)b)

a) .27 Fancy Intense yellow VVS2 strong green fluor $540
b) .25 Fancy Light yellow, VS2 $485

I love the color and fluor of the pear, but it's a pear, not exactly what I was looking for, but it's acceptable
I love the cut and shape of the shield, but the color is nowhere near that of the pear.

I think they're both cut fairly well for colored stones that fall in my carat and price range. So do I choose color or cut/shape?

FO-118-0.27 (1).jpg

2404_di_image_5699a.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think B goes best with your diamond.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard decision, that only you can make.

To me the shield's shape is hugely attractive (I also considered buying it) and I'm really not a pear guy.
I also greatly prefer stronger colors.

If this is for a project that will include your kite I think the shield will compliment the kite both in shape and color strength more than the pear will.
I think when designing a piece combining FCDs you must decide if all the stones are to be of equal importance or whether there will be one that is the center of attention because of its size or color strength.
IMHO, the pear, being so intense, would definitely overtake your kite.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
it'd be for my ring. The kite is in the SO's ring.

One of these two would eventually go in the same style band as the SO's so we'll be matchy matchy like that, but I definitely didn't want something way different from the kite.

I haven't asked about the fluor on the shield, if it does, and it's a color that works well with the stone, it may move a little closer to being on par with the pear.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the pear, based on color. I'm going to take this to RT to see what they think too.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I'm digging the shield! :naughty: Definitely ask if it has any fluor. The pear has more color but the shield has a bolder cut and would be more interesting IMO.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to get another forum flogging for this but if you are a man (I have no idea if you are) I would not get a pear.
Pears strike me as being for women.

I have no reason, no rationalization, no back up whatsoever for this.
I'm not telling you what to think or do - but you came here for opinions, and this is mine.
I admit it is a 100% unfair stereotype, but there it is.

BTW, I'll also add that I'm a gay guy who first gave my man a round diamond.
Then when I got a square asscher he said he thought of square diamonds as being only for women.
Now he wears a square too, so go figure.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
I'm going to get another forum flogging for this but if you are a man (I have no idea if you are) I would not get a pear.

I have no reason, no rationalization, no back up whatsoever for this.
I'm not telling you what to think or do - but you came here for opinions, and this is my stereotype.
I admit it is 100% unfair, but there it is.

BTW, I'll also add that I'm a gay guy who first gave my man a round diamond.
Then when I got a square asscher he said he thought of square diamonds as being only for women.
Now he wears a square too, so go figure.

You're probably right Kenny as I rarely see men wear a pear. I will say that a pear, set on it's side, in a gypsy set ring might be more masculine looking though, if a gentleman wanted to take advantage of wearing a pear. Just some thoughts to throw out at you. I really love that pear!! :love:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I'm not going to flog you, Kenny. I agree that the shield looks more masculine. In the pear's defense, these are pretty small stones, and the shape will not be readily visible from any distance.

My dear BIL did not want a square stone because of the princess name. I'm sure it helps that your square stones aren't called "princess" stones. :naughty:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
kenny said:
I'm going to get another forum flogging for this but if you are a man I would not get a pear.

Ditto Kenny, we're in the same boat in more ways than one ;-) That's why I was really only searching for radiants, princess, fancy cuts that were sharp and angular. You're right, you don't see many guys wearing pear cuts. Believe me, it's the main reason I didn't just buy this on first sight. If it were any angular shape I wouldn't be hemming or hawing. Plus a good flogging never hurt anyone who wanted it :naughty:

I asked Leibish if the shield has fluor, but since it's 630pm in Israel, I'll have to wait until the morning for a reply. Honestly though, if it doesn't have any fluor, I don't think it's a good match.

TL, I thought about setting it on it's side and burnishing/gypsy setting the stone. The bands are only 2.5mm thick. Luckily this stone is 2.42mm unlike the kite who is 2.55mm and thus had to be set differently. I really like the way Cehra's aqua cab looks set e/w. And like Flygirl said, this would be like a billion times smaller, I don't know if it really would matter if the pear is a bit feminine.

Plus I worry about people thinking I'm a superman nut because I have a superman diamond! lol.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, nothing wrong with a nice flogging from Superman. :naughty:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny! hahahahhaah :lol: :naughty: but I digress...

Is a marquise a more manly shape than a pear?

Untitled.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go-friend . . . marquis are for old ladies with big blue-rinse dos who sit on stools for hours in Las Vegas at the same slot machine, which they will kill you for moving in on when they go the the bathroom to powder their nose.

Forum flogging expected again. . . :errrr:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I did find one website where the vendor said the marquise shape is very feminine. Between it and the pear, I suggest you get the pear.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Go-friend . . . marquis are for old ladies with big blue-rinse dos who sit on stools for hours in Las Vegas at the same slot machine, which they will kill you for moving in on when they go the the bathroom to powder their nose.

Forum flogging expected again. . . :errrr:

OMG, you just described my SIL's mother, and she loves marquise shaped diamonds. You crack me up Kenny! :lol:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I like the "superman"--or actually diamond-shaped diamond just to be redundantly redundant,

In a ring, something set above the "table" of the diamond shape could detract the eye from the whole superman look (a contrasting triangle would square it up more like a kit-set square...in either another stone, texture, or other design effect.

Laura

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results