shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another Cat thread

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
I need help!
I'm a new cat owner. He's almost 6 months old and I'd love to keep him, but he's beginning to drive me apes*!t.

Things I need tips on:
- How to get him to stop eating my plants. We have a large leaf plant that he likes to nibble on which he's definitely NOT allowed to do. I've tried spraying it with Fooey spray, but that's not a very permanent solution and I also don't think it's very good for the plant.

- What's the best scratching post I could get him? I got a hang-on-door one, but he goes to it more rarely than not.

- Keeping him from urinating outside the litter box. He's been good, up until an hour ago. I walked into the room, picked him up, noted that he had wet paws and then saw the puddle. I was beyond infuriated. I've read up on the possibility of UTI, but I really think he was just mad at me about #1, not letting him eat my plants.

- Washing. Obviously I can't let a cat with urine on his paws walk through my house. I attempted to wash them off. I have the claw marks on my throat to prove it. Ow.

- Claws. Declawing is inhumane and beyond inconsiderate, but trimming his nails daily gets him pretty aggravated too. All of which is why getting a proper scratching post is so important.

I understand that eating plants can aid in cats digestion, but after 4000 times of me saying no and moving him away from the plant, you'd think he'd get it!

Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
wakingdreams53|1314306628|2999595 said:
I need help!
I'm a new cat owner. He's almost 6 months old and I'd love to keep him, but he's beginning to drive me apes*!t.

This is a bit alarming. When you adopt a cat it's a commitment. Of course a 6 month old cat is going to get into things. What did you expect?

Things I need tips on:
- How to get him to stop eating my plants. We have a large leaf plant that he likes to nibble on which he's definitely NOT allowed to do. I've tried spraying it with Fooey spray, but that's not a very permanent solution and I also don't think it's very good for the plant.

Move the plant to where he can't get it. That's your only hope, IMO. You could try a spray bottle or something when he gets near it, but cats LOVE to eat plants. I gave up and put all mine on a shelf where they can't get them. Make sure your plant isn't poisonous to cats, too-a lot of them are.

- What's the best scratching post I could get him? I got a hang-on-door one, but he goes to it more rarely than not.

What does he scratch? Vertical things (like furniture) or horizontal things (like carpet)? If he likes both, get him both. Mine love the cardboard scratchers that sit flat on the floor, as well as raffia type mats. Both are available at Target, PetSmart, etc.

- Keeping him from urinating outside the litter box. He's been good, up until an hour ago. I walked into the room, picked him up, noted that he had wet paws and then saw the puddle. I was beyond infuriated. I've read up on the possibility of UTI, but I really think he was just mad at me about #1, not letting him eat my plants.

I highly doubt he urinated on the floor to punish you. Is he neutered? Is the litter box clean? If he does it again I'd take him to the vet ASAP.

- Washing. Obviously I can't let a cat with urine on his paws walk through my house. I attempted to wash them off. I have the claw marks on my throat to prove it. Ow.

The best thing I've found is to wrap them in a towel and leave exposed whatever you want to wash. So in this case if it was his paws, wrap up his back paws and wash off his front paws and then vice versa. It's also best to have the water already run-mine get more scared when the water is running.

- Claws. Declawing is inhumane and beyond inconsiderate, but trimming his nails daily gets him pretty aggravated too. All of which is why getting a proper scratching post is so important.

A cat shouldn't need their nails trimmed daily. If you're cutting them too short and cutting the quick (pink part inside the nail) it's painful for them. No cats like their nails clipped but it's best to do it when they're in a calm/sleepy mood. I also sometimes just do one paw and then do the other paw later.

I understand that eating plants can aid in cats digestion, but after 4000 times of me saying no and moving him away from the plant, you'd think he'd get it!

Kittens are just like puppies or even babies-they're hyper and crazy and get into everything! Make sure to spend time playing with him (with toys, though, not your bare hands) and keep lots of toys around for him to play with, too. And put away anything he can destroy-once he gets older he'll calm down and not be as destructive.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't keep a plant alive so I'm not the best one to give you advice for you there. Other than by suggesting to get rid of your plants, but that's probably not an option, is it? :bigsmile:

For a scratching post, I'd get a cat tree. You can go as simple or as fancy as you'd like. http://www.cozycatfurniture.com/
I'd try to get one with sisal instead of carpeting for the scratching post section. Both can shed the more often the cat uses it, but I think the rougher material of the sisal is supposed to be better (more effective) for keeping the cat's claws shorter.

I have a really hard time clipping our cats claws. I need to ask the vet how to do it quickly the next time we're there. I do hold onto the scruff of the neck with one hand and speak in a gentle voice as I clip their claws. That helps a bit. If I appear anxious about it, our cats sense it and try to scramble out of my grip.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Kittens can be really bad in the beginning and it takes a lot of patience.

I adopted a kitten, Simba, 6 months ago and she was a terror.

She would use the litter box 50% would pee in a) the corner of the kitchen b) in the bathroom. The first thing I did was clean it with a pet spray (the one's made especially for pet accidents). Then I would wash the area with vineger. I read somewhere that if the cat can smell it, it will do it again. Basically, everyday, I would lure her into getting into her litter box with treats (every morning and at night). I would repeat the exercise 3 times. It gradually declined in frequency and then disappeared completely after 2 months. I won't say that it didn't make me crazy, and that I didn't want to give her up, but I'm glad I didn't. Luckily, we have hardwood floors and ceramic so it was easy to clean.

There are other reasons that a cat could pee outside the box too, that have to be eliminated:
a) urinary tract infection
b) box being moved, or too far, or in high traffic area
c) box not being clean enough
d) different litter

I hope it works out! Don't give up!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I need help!

Things I need tips on:

Try spraying them in hot pepper. Some cats actually like the taste, but chances are yours will stop once it gets a good sniff!

We use a stand up post. The bottom is made of carpet and the middle pillar is covered in sisal rope. The cats love the feeling of the sisal. We usually spray a new post with catnip spray and spray them periodically to keep the cats interested. It also helps to avoid buying furniture (whenever you buy new furniture) that isn't fun to scratch. Cats seem to ignore microfiber and go for textured fabrics.

This can be pretty hard with a male cat. Is he neutered? You could try saying no and clapping at him if you see him doing it. I've never had this problem so I'm not sure about the best way to deal with it.

I have a cat that poops in the cat carrier every time I take her to the vet. I wash her when we get home by wrapping her up in an old towels and gently rinsing her with the tap. You can rub the towel a bit to help.

I trim once every 3 weeks and its bee fine. I think the scratching post helps them keep their nails shorter.

Goodluck!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Thing2of2, I wrote that when I was still really agitated. Thanks for all of the really helpful tips. I'm going to Petco now.
I knew what I was getting into, I do love him.

This may all be because I added baking soda to his litter box. I cleaned it and it was still smelling awful, so I added baking soda to the litter and the smell disappeared. That might've had the same effect as changing his litter type, *shrugs*.
I definitely don't cut all the way to his quick. Daily was an exaggeration, but because I'm afraid of getting too close to the quick, I don't cut them as far, so I need to trim them more frequently. I really only do it when I notice that his scratch was sharper heh.

Zoe, lol, no giving up the plants isn't an option. They're technically not mine so I definitely have no right letting them a) go, b) get chewed up. Trimming his nails isn't particularly difficult, I just don't want to hurt him.

Allycat, thanks for the tips. He used the litter box just fine, but as noted above, it's probably because of the baking soda. If he does it again I'll definitely take him to the vet.

Thanks again!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got a normal kitten :appl:

She will calm down as she gets older. I've currently got 2 cats, one adopted at just 6 weeks or so. They aren't perfect but they are certainly much less crazy now.

plants -- I gave up on them. Moving "out of reach" led to broken dishes and spilled potting soil. (top of refrigerator, super high window sill, etc. :nono: ) If you want to keep them in an area she can't get to and bring them out later that might help but you still want to make sure they aren't poisonous.
I've never tried it, but I have heard that keeping a tray of "cat grass" growing for her will help.

baths --- TWO people. One holds. One washes. Water in tub BEFORE bringing her in....... Expect scratches.

litter boxes -- Keep really clean and make sure they are big enough for her.

scratching surfaces --- We have a cardboard scratcher on the floor in the laundry room, a small (18" tall or so) vertical post in another room, and a larger (24" or so) vertical post with different texture in another. We also have a large (5 1/2 feet tall) climbing tree with horizontal platforms, vertical posts, and hiding holes in the living room.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
kittens are going to be full of quirks and personality. They get into things. One of ours (who is NOT a kitten anymore) likes to knock over cups/glasses,empty or not. Just a nosy little bugger.

-We have a TON of plants in the house, which they used to 'play' with, until we got them their very own cat grass. Now they wait patiently for it to grow and only attack that.

-cat tree

-keep the litter box CLEAN. They will let you know if they don't like it. We also had one that would go in inappropriate places if it got upset (usually because of my animal hating father :knockout: )

-I also agree with the wrap them in a towel suggestion for trimming nails and washing

-soft paws!

good luck!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
get him a playmante...another slightly older kitty.

re plants: buy him some organic wheat grass and let him go at it. its about $2 in a small plastic pot. my cats love it. put your plant up if need be. i had to get rid of my african violets because i couldn't keep Harley out of them. now that he's older i'm thinking of getting rid of the orchids and trying african violets again.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scratching post...I have one cat that likes to stand up and scratch on a post and the other cat likes the cardboard type that lies
flat on the floor. I suggest trying some different type.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have yourself a kitten, that's for sure!

You've gotten good advice on everything already. I wanted to share that we use this litter: http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/ and it is AMAZING. We also put an Ionic Breeze air cleaner in the litter box room and it does not smell one bit.

We have three cats, none of them are declawed, and they don't tear up our furniture because we have a cat post or a cat tree in each room.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
My cat has had peeing issues. We have done litterbox bootcamp and it works. Google it. I know it seems mean but peeing is a bad issue to have to deal with.

When I squirted my cat with water when she would do bad stuff she'd just scrinch up her little eyes as if to dare me!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone!!

Haven, it's funny that you mention World's Best-- it's the one we use! :))

Chemgirl, I'll try the hot pepper, that's genius!

To all who suggested moving the plants out of reach. The plant is HUGE, now after googling "large house plant" I found it. It's a peace lily.
http://www.neubauersflowers.com/store/scripts/p_1497_Large_Peace_Lily_Plant
I don't want to choose one over the other. The only other place I can put the plant won't assure sunlight, and that's :nono:

I went to Petco, bought some Cat Grass. Hopefully it's going to be enough to satisfy him. Got him some new food as well.

Still need to decide on another scratcher. I'm alone and get around by public transportation -- a scratching post wouldn't be very comfortable to carry.

Any suggestions on carriers? When we adopted him they shoved him into a cardboard carrier. :errrr: He definitely hates that thing.

Movie Zombie, I'm still learning how to care for one kitten, adding another older one into the mix will surely drive me crazy. I should've gotten an older cat and I do regret it now. I was obsessed with the notion of watching him grow, now he's twice the size as when we got him a month and a half ago, fair trade off? Not really. Perhaps one day he'll get a playmate.

Thanks again!!

ETA, Scorpioanne, that's so funny that you mention squirting your cat with water! That's how I get my cat to get off of tables and such. I can just shake the bottle and he'll jump off. With the plant however, shaking it does nothing. It's as though he "grows a pair" :lol: , squirting him still works though. Sadly only temporarily.

And to respond, he is neutered. The shelter neutered him a week before we met and fell in love with him.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think the peace lily is toxic to cats! Get it dealt with ASAP!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't read the responses but the plant thing I can commiserate with. Many years ago I had 2 cats and an apartment FULL of plants. What worked for me is getting them their own "cat grass". I would plant grass seeds in some pots for them and keep the pots in a window near their window seat beds. I liked long rectangular shallow pots best. They would eat the grass and anxiously watch it grow and eat it again. Grass grows fast and is cheap. If I remember correctly there are other herbs that you can grow that they like too. Cats will eat grass when they go out. It helps with their digestion. My cats were inside only bc of where I lived. They learned to leave my other plants alone once they got their own source to nibble on.

As a warning though. Some plants are extremely poisonous to cats/animals. Make sure the plants in your home now are "safe" and if they aren't remove them ASAP.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need help!

Things I need tips on:

six months is still the kitty psycho age. Mine is just over one year and he's starting to become "normal." One thing you can try is using a cat igloo type litter box rather than a box they climb into. We just moved and before had our box in the master bath and kitty started peeing outside the box, but we switched him since his box is in the downstairs bath and it's a covered box and he has been great at going inside. I clean the box 2X per day and I use a glade heated oil freshener in there so it smells decent!

Cats are wonderful, but you gotta accept a lot of things they will do that is naughty...I guess since I've always had a cat, I've learned to ignore the distruction and chaos they rain down upon the house. It comes with the territory...but, after a few more months, your kitty will learn to chill.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
wakingdreams53|1314314568|2999696 said:
Thank you everyone!!
Still need to decide on another scratcher. I'm alone and get around by public transportation -- a scratching post wouldn't be very comfortable to carry.

maybe order one?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
cat boxes: always have more than the number of cats.

aluminum foil: place on counters, chairs, etc. cats don't like it and it should keep kitty off things.

another cat would keep this one busy.....really they are less work because they don't fixate on you because they have a playmate.

good luck.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
A few things come to mind:

Forget about clipping his nails even close to a daily basis. Clip his nails in good light. You can visually see exactly where you're supposed to cut, and where you're not. Clip them a safe distance, but as close to that safe distance as you can get. You only have to do this about every two to four weeks.

My mother used to work for a vet and taught me how to do this stuff. The towel thing is a good idea, but it is essential to have control of him, for his safety and for yours. The way you do this is to take one of your hands (the left one if you're right handed) and hold the skin on the back of the neck to the point that you are pulling enough that he is immobilized. It's not a question of what he likes, or wants (no cat likes this). If you are controlling where he is, including where his paws can reach, meaning too that you kind of are "pointing" his arms away from you at the angle where you can get a 90 degree angle to the claw, then you're doing it right.

You also have to control his paw, or he can yank it and then you won't know where you're cutting. I recommend you have another person help you. One person can do the back of the neck thing. The other can hold the paw and then cut the nail.

I can clip my cat's front nails by myself, but that's only because I do it at a time of the day when she otherwise would be sleeping, and because I've had a lot of practice. BTW, it's important to do it at one of those times, not when she's in hyper mode.

He will grow out of the kitten phase, and you'll be glad (I know I was) but it takes time (he definitely has a ways to go).

I don't want to sound pedantic but it's helpful to think in terms of: training, litter, behavior, nails, contentment, all of it isn't a matter of what the cat's doing. It's really more about us and how we "listen" to them and choose to interact with them to achieve the best results.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
waking:

Honestly, I've had 2 pyscho kittens (including Zebra who is now very ill, and elderly) he was literally unmanageable as a kitten. He attacked, tore into, destroyed everything in the house. On a whim, we got a second kitten (who was maybe 2 months older). The first night they fought like crazy, and on the second day, Zebra was a different kitten. He was calm, friendly, and didn't destroy anything after that.

I think kittens on their own get bored. It makes them more prone to destructive behavior until they get older. Simba my kitten, is 8 months, and she's still a terror. The problem is she always wants to play with the older cats, and they are not intrested. I think they naturally grow out of it at 1.5 + years old.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, no--you use World's Best!?! Maybe our kitties don't have stinky stinkies because their on a raw diet? Our dogs' poops don't smell on raw, so maybe it's the same for kitties. (I'm serious, by the way. It's amazing.)

DH cleans the litter boxes every day, so that helps. And I'm telling you, that Ionic Breeze is amazing. There was a bit of a scent before we put that in there, and now it's gone.

It's important to have one more litter box than you have cats, as well.

Whatever happens, it sounds like you have a wonderful little monster on your hands! Do we have pictures? If not, we need some!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have three cats and we are in a condo so I don't have room for more than one litterbox. We clean it every day, add litter when we scoop, and completely change the litter once per month. We use Arm and Hammer multicat litter and it doesn't smell at all. Maybe changing the type of litter will help.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately it's a "he", so a UTI is a distinct possibility.. I would get him looked over. Or he's just being a kitten! We adopted two at 6wks and even together they were a handful, I wouldn't have wanted to have had to deal with just one :errrr:

Washing - try baby animal wipes - you can get them at any pet store. Easier than a full bath every time, and perfectly safe for them to lick off.

Ditto - trimming daily shouldn't be necessary. I was terrified of cutting them as well, at first - I went to a groomer and had her show me how to do it - how to judge how deep to cut, how to file afterward. And the more you do it, the more he'll get used to it.. Shorter claws are actually better for him, if he's indoor-only - less likely to cleave a claw.

Does he respond to catnip? If so you might try putting some in a sock and sticking it in the microwave for a few seconds - warm catnip takes ours to whole new heights of lunacy (and distraction from other things - like your plants, maybe!)

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, so much great advice! PS being full of cat owners is such a blessing!

ImDanny, awesome tips. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

Allycat, I understand, maybe he'll get a playmate one day. Definitely not now though, I'm still trying to figure out how to care for one during a hurricane!

Haven, could you please tell me more about the Raw diet? I've read a little about it and I'm interested, but don't know where to start. All tips duly noted! Have you ever added baking soda to World's Best? I think it affected its clumping :(( Pictures of my crazy baby boy below!

Chemgirl, I really like World's Best. It doesn't track and its natural. He goes A LOT though, so I'll just be more on top of it.

Yssie, he's been using the litter box ever since, but if he does it again, I'll certainly take him to the Vet. Animal wipes are a great idea, thank you! He has catnip mouses which he is OBSESSED with. I bought some more when I was at the store, so cheap that over playing with them causes the tail to come off, but he loves 'em so I'm not judging.
Catnip in a sock... any other methods of heating aside from microwave? (I don't own one...)

Here's the infamous Aleister Akerfelt! (last name of my favorite singer of my favorite band)

Image07102011155948.jpg

Image07132011180341.jpg

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh goodness, he's a fuzzy lil' beauty!!!

:love: :love: :love: ::)

Hmm... Maybe just sit on it for a few minutes? Catnip will light over an open flame (don't ask me how I know that) so I wouldn't recommend any antics over a stove or anything like that.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie, I literally burst out laughing. I won't be setting catnip on fire any time soon.... ;))
And thank you! He's even fuzzier and fluffier now as those pictures are from a few weeks ago.
He's truly wonderful, except for eating the plants. I can tolerate everything else. Now especially with the hurricane coming, I had to put the peace lily on the floor (damn that thing was HEAVY!) and now he thinks its for him, except apparently it's toxic so that makes it all even worse!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

You can paint the leaves of your plants with red pepper oil, and put black pepper in the soil (for short plants because the cats will not like the smell of pepper)

Mine used to like the cardboard planks that go on the floor (http://www.petco.com/product/5858/PETCO-Cat-Cardboard-Scratcher.aspx), and the tallest stand-alone sisal-covered scratching post I could find.

I used to put my litter box on top of a liner used for dog crates to catch lose litter and the occasional pee. Here is an example:
http://www.amazon.com/GoGo-Dog-Crate-Plastic-Replacement/dp/B000XDRT8U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314417354&sr=8-3

I used to wash my cats with a spray nozzle in the bathtub. It only worked if someone else was scruffing them. When they got to be 4 years old, I gave up.

For clipping nails, I had the best luck with a human toe nail clipper, while someone was scruffing. I found that the cat nail scissors I bought crushed the nail and made it splinter, instead of doing a clean cut. I think crushing the nail must compress the quick, which probably hurts like pinching.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results