shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellowing Ethiopian opal

LuluUFO

Rough_Rock
Hello

I bought an Ethiopian opal 8 months ago, the body was a greyish white, and it is slowly becoming yellow. Any similar experience?

Thank you!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Not personally, but I've read stories and it's been known to happen. Ethiopian opal is, to put it simply, porous and absorbent. It will soak up everything - water, soap, body oils, perfume, creams, lotions - if it's liquid and comes into contact with it, the opal will absorb it. The result often is discoloration, so if you've been wearing it on a ring, perhaps, something like this could be the cause.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Not personally, but I've read stories and it's been known to happen. Ethiopian opal is, to put it simply, porous and absorbent. It will soak up everything - water, soap, body oils, perfume, creams, lotions - if it's liquid and comes into contact with it, the opal will absorb it. The result often is discoloration, so if you've been wearing it on a ring, perhaps, something like this could be the cause.

Yes, this.

If you're touching your opal a lot with fingers that have had lotion, perfume, soap, sweaty fingers, then this can happen, especially if the opal absorbs moisture quickly. Most Welo Opal only absorbs 1% to 5% of their body weight. Some, not at all, and other as much as 15%. Welo Opal can absorb moisture at different rates, some take a long time to absorb moisture, some much quicker.

Best advice is not to touch your opal with fingers, especial after having a liquid on them and if you do, make sure to wipe off the opal with a clean cloth afterwards and you will be fine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to like Ethiopian opal, but don’t plan to go for long outings with it, or use the restroom, because at some point you’ll have to wash your hands with soap, and even that is a no no with these stones. Perhaps keep it as a pendant stone to avoid lotions, soaps, sprays.

There’s a reason they are much less expensive than their Australian counterparts.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I used to like Ethiopian opal, but don’t plan to go for long outings with it, or use the restroom, because at some point you’ll have to wash your hands with soap, and even that is a no no with these stones. Perhaps keep it as a pendant stone to avoid lotions, soaps, sprays.

There’s a reason they are much less expensive than their Australian counterparts.

I had customers that have had Welo Opal for years in rings, with no problem, but they followed the rules. I have one myself for years. Looks as good as the day it was set.

Don't wear while eating, don't take a shower with the ring on, don't do dishes or wash hands with ring on, after washing hands rinse hand thoroughly and dry well, no lotion on hands, no viscous substance on hands. if you get something on your Welo Opal, rinse off with hot (not boiling) water right away or as soon as you can, dry thoroughly and repeat with clean cloth.

Have a comfort fit backing on your ring or pendant as to not allow skin to touch back of Opal.

Might sound complicated, but it is not. If people do these things, their opals will last a lifetime, given no accidents.:)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ethiopian opals are hydrophane meaning they absorb liquids. for this reason it’s very important to keep them away from hand lotions, perfume, hair spray etc. even the oils from your skin can be absorbed. This will change the colour of the opal. I have some myself that have had their body tone change from clear blueish to clear yellowish.

MissouriRiverSapphireCo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello

I bought an Ethiopian opal 8 months ago, the body was a greyish white, and it is slowly becoming yellow. Any similar experience?

Thank you!

Yes. This exact thing happened to a faceted Welo pendant I gifted my wife. She wears it quite a bit. I soaked the Opal in acetone in a sealed container for a few days, until the (now translucent from saturation) body turned clear instead of yellowed. After around 3 days drying out the Opal was returned to the same body color as when received from lapidary. I have only done this to "clean" a hydrophane Opal that once, but I have soaked many hydrophanes in acetone and never had a problem. Ymmv, good luck and please let us know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results