shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow vs white diamond

LorB

Rough_Rock
Hi there everyone! This is my first post on these forums and I am just looking for some advice. My boyfriend and I have been looking at engagement rings, I have always liked the pear shape with a halo however I am unsure whether to go for the yellow or the white centre diamond. I never knew that I wanted a yellow diamond until I saw them in person and tried them on, my only concern is will I wish I got a white diamond in years to come? Although I keep getting drawn back to the yellow diamond. Thanks for ur help in advance and please excuse my dodgy hands :lol:
The white diamond is 0.5 carat centre
One yellow diamond (smaller one) is 0.5 carat centre
The other yellow diamond is 0.72 carat centre

_5915.jpeg

_5916.jpeg

_5917.jpeg

_5918.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've come to the coloured stone forum so my answer is 100% biased; YELLOW! :lol:

Unfortunately, this is something I don't think we can truly help you with because colour is such a personal issue. I was a "white" diamond person forever and ever until I discovered colour, and there was no looking back once the bug bit. For others, colour is fun to play with but they are a "white" diamond type forever.

S

SparkliesLuver

Agree with Chrono about this being a personal decision. I think you have to decide if you want a white diamond for that finger and would be okay with color on your other hand (or other fingers on your left hand ;-) ) or if you have to have color for your engagement ring. You could also work in color on a wedding band, if that's something you'd want. Just a thought!

Happy deciding and an early congrats on looking at engagement rings! :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SL,
You have to post more so that I can see your gorgeous Paraiba ring avatar more often. :lickout:

LorB

Rough_Rock
Haha you can tell I'm new to this :lol: yeh it's a tough descion to make! Thank you both for your help :D

LorB

Rough_Rock
When buying a fancy yellow diamond should they always be GIA certified? The shop that I tried them on grades their own yellow diamonds, would you see this as a red flag? Should I look elsewhere?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LorB|1474293543|4078341 said:
When buying a fancy yellow diamond should they always be GIA certified? The shop that I tried them on grades their own yellow diamonds, would you see this as a red flag? Should I look elsewhere?
For an engagement ring, I would want it to come with a GIA report so that I know exactly what I am buying and know that I am paying a fair price. In-shop grading is often-times overly generous. After all, if the shop grades it lower, then they'll take a loss. If they grade it higher, they can sell it for more money. I feel that the conflict of interest is too strong.

I have purchased ungraded coloured diamonds but those were for fun and very inexpensive. I did not need it to be mind clean because they were not for important occasions / pieces. It would not have bugged me if GIA graded them lower than what the seller advertised them for.

LorB

Rough_Rock
That's great! I'll take that into account thanks

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
One thing to consider is how the halo affects the perceived size of the diamond. I small white diamond will appear larger with a white diamond halo, a small yellow diamond will look the same, small, in a white diamond halo.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... I like the yellow ones more... but only you can answer which you will be happy with in the long run. For me, I would never be happy with a white diamond in the long run as my main ring. It would be too boring. I like to see a pop of color. But the majority of people like white diamonds for their main ring.

Q

Queenie60

I would like to add - prior to purchasing I would suggest that you post your budget and what you're looking for to allow the experts on this forum to help you find the best performing diamond within your budget. If you're considering a purchase from a b&m store, I caution you on fancy cuts. It is my understanding (from following this forum) that fancy cuts can be quite complicated. Tyty, Gypsy, DS and many others can assist you in finding a lovely diamond, regardless of it being yellow or white.

Good luck :wavey:

LorB

Rough_Rock
Our budget would be no more than £4500 and that's for both diamond and setting. I'd be looking for a platinum halo setting for either a white or yellow diamond. If getting a yellow diamond it would be either fancy light yellow or fancy yellow colour I'd be looking for, no less than SI2 clarity and any carat perhaps 0.45+
Regarding the fancy cuts u mentioned, I would also be open to a cushion cut?
Hope this info helps?

After looking I found these yellow diamonds on both Leibish and James Allan (both of which are GIA certified) if anyone could give some insight to if they are any good? Thanks :D

_1451.png

_1452.png

_1453.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1474294490|4078346 said:
One thing to consider is how the halo affects the perceived size of the diamond. I small white diamond will appear larger with a white diamond halo, a small yellow diamond will look the same, small, in a white diamond halo.

Excellent point!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm biased so I bet you can guess what my answer would be. :naughty: :lol:

LorB

Rough_Rock
Thanks lovedogs for your input, all those rings a beautiful :love: the only thing is the setting is 18k gold. I do love the double halo you suggested, I haven't seen anything like that before I bet it sparkles like crazy! Catmom I'm loving ur yellow diamond ring I think I need to join the yellow diamond club :lickout: Having had a look at Diamonds by Lauren website I have found 3 diamonds that I think are good value for money if anyone has any suggestions? I would also ask Diamonds by Lauren to setting the loose diamond too but in a platinum setting :dance: :D

_5921.jpeg

_5923.jpeg

_5924.jpeg

Kellyashley16

Rough_Rock
My vote is for the 0.45ct from DBL in the double halo that love dogs posted- lovely color, cut and finger presence and seems sturdy. I also, though, am a sucker for double halos and that would be up to what your eye likes. My engagement ring was from DBL and while not a colored center stone, it is as beautiful as the day I got it. I know there are mixed reviews about them, but my personal experience was positive and if I ever save up enough, it is where I'd try first for a pink diamond. I think all of your previous picks are beautiful and you're on a great track. These more informed guys on here will help you find the best pick for sure.
I can say that a platinum halo for those stones you posted may run you over budget (at least for the largest one.) platinum is what my stone is in and the setting I remember being quite pricey, albeit very delicate and well made.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LorB|1474314091|4078472 said:
Thanks lovedogs for your input, all those rings a beautiful :love: the only thing is the setting is 18k gold. I do love the double halo you suggested, I haven't seen anything like that before I bet it sparkles like crazy! Catmom I'm loving ur yellow diamond ring I think I need to join the yellow diamond club :lickout: Having had a look at Diamonds by Lauren website I have found 3 diamonds that I think are good value for money if anyone has any suggestions? I would also ask Diamonds by Lauren to setting the loose diamond too but in a platinum setting :dance: :D

No problem, glad it helped! My initial reaction is that if you can afford it go for the largest stone. I think all are good choices (but I am not an expert at picking cushion cuts, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in). I'd definitely advise having DBL make the setting in platinum, I think it will be gorgeous :) But definitely get a price quote from them--I find their settings to be quite expensive (although well made and beautiful--just pricey), so double check that it will all be within budget.

I'm excited to see what you end up getting, and think it will be beautiful! :wavey:

LorB

Rough_Rock
The reason for picking a platinum setting is I've heard it's a lot harder wearing, I've also read that 18k white gold can wear away and need re dipped every so often? If anyone has an 18k gold engagement ring and can offer some advice about the wearing and if they think it's a good idea I'm all ears :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if you're wanting a white metal that doesn't need to be re-dipped (because 14K and 18K both need re-dipping every so often in order to keep them "WHITE"), then I might suggest unplated white gold. The color isn't bright white, but it's not yellow either. I've heard people call it "wello", and I kind of agree haha. My engagement ring is 14k and I've never had problems with it in 4 years, but I just gave up on re-dipping it about 1.5 years ago and it's still pretty white.

I think this photo is pretty accurate in terms of what it would look like to either get your ring un-plated or to just not get it re-dipped. Unknown.jpg

But I definitely wouldn't say that 14 or 18K is "soft" at all--tons of people have it for their engagement rings and never have any issues. I think it's most relevant when talking about SUPER intricate settings (like 3-sided pave), because then you wan't something as strong as possible to hold all the tiny diamonds. But to me if you find something you really like then 14 or 18K definitely wouldn't be a deal breaker vs. platinum. But I think people differ in this regard.

ETA: sorry, I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been. White gold is usually rhodium dipped to make it more bright white, so that's why it gets slightly more yellow as the plating wears off. Unplated white gold starts off less bright white and just stays that way :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This might be the ugliest picture ever as it was taken under harsh office lighting, but it's the back of my wedding set and kind of highlights the color difference between unplated/plated white gold. But both look pretty white to me IRL. Just in case it helps to see it on someone's hand.

EDIT: the top 2 bands are soldered together so I was treating them as "one" and the thicker bottom band as the "other". oops.

20160919_132717.jpg

LorB

Rough_Rock
And that's your rings after 4 years? They look great still even the unplanted one looks fab :D defo something to have a think about! Maybe end up getting a bigger centre stone :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LorB|1474320793|4078535 said:
And that's your rings after 4 years? They look great still even the unplanted one looks fab :D defo something to have a think about! Maybe end up getting a bigger centre stone :love:

The top 2 soldered ones I've been wearing for 4 years (actually, the bottom of the two that are soldered together is my original engagement ring so I've been wearing it for 6!). The thick unplated band is new but will stay the same in terms of color. I've been totally happy with them over time and have never had a problem even though I wear them to do everything (including showering, and running, oops :oops: )

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LorB|1474316281|4078491 said:
The reason for picking a platinum setting is I've heard it's a lot harder wearing, I've also read that 18k white gold can wear away and need re dipped every so often? If anyone has an 18k gold engagement ring and can offer some advice about the wearing and if they think it's a good idea I'm all ears :D

Are you worried about being particularly hard on your rings? If so, you may be best suited to a setting style other than pave, or something like a pave halo but plain band.

If you are okay with white gold and I1 stones (that have difficult-to-see inclusions), DBL has this 1ct yellow halo- http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-102ct-radiant-cut-fancy-light-yellow-i1-18karat-white-and-yellow-gold-r4083 I think inclusions hide really well in radiant cuts and especially colored radiants, and I personally would be more than willing to go down in clarity to get a bigger rock. But ymmv!

fel

Shiny_Rock
So if you are looking seriously at FLY diamonds on a sparse budget, I suggest you may want to look at the u-v/w-x/y-z diamonds at DbL in addition to the FLYs. The low prices may allow you to get a bigger diamond at your price point without sacrificing clarity too much.

Below I selected a few that I like that seemed to show stronger color. These diamonds can be real bargains, and they do look quite yellow in many lights. Full disclosure: I am biased, as I wear a U-V OEC with high flouro as my ering. In most lights it looks yellow, sometimes it looks green (owing to blue flouro) and I truly cherish its chameleon nature. So of course my fav below is the one with strong yellow flouro.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...2ct-w-x-si1-round-brilliant-diamond-gia-r7033

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...w-vs1-round-brilliant-gia-beautiful-cut-r5925

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...w-vs1-round-brilliant-gia-beautiful-cut-r5925

Good luck on your search.

LorB

Rough_Rock
No distracts I'm not worried about being hard wearing on my ring, I'm a nurse so I won't have it on daily anyway however just wondering what would be the best option and if platinum would be worth the extra money, or could that's extra money go towards a bigger centre stone :lickout: Fel thanks for your input also, I hadn't even looked at yellow stones between U-Z however after looking at the links you suggested I really like the first round diamond with the high florecence and that is good value for money :angel:

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
SL, You have to post more so that I can see your gorgeous Paraiba ring avatar more often. :lickout:
haha Your post made me laugh and blush, Chrono. :)

LorB, I figured I'd share my only example picture of 14k plated white gold (left) and 14k unplated white gold (right). It's a noticeable difference when they're side-by-side, but it's not so extreme when they're solo. I do love the unplated look, and I'm not a big yellow gold person at all.

I wanted to put my two cents in about DBL. I've contacted them several times for help and they've never been able or willing to even answer simple questions. For that reason, I've crossed them off my list; I refuse to do business with vendors like that. I know others have had good experiences, so there is some hope.

metals.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Forgot to post the diamond information! :lol: <need more coffee> I'd personally stick with Leibish and Naturally Colored, especially since NC has GIA reports for most, if not all, of theirs already. I'd email them and see what they have within your exact budget.

http://www.naturallycolored.com/yellow-diamonds

LorB

Rough_Rock
Thanks SparkliesLuver there is a noticeable difference between those 2 rings when u see them side by side, regarding DBL I emailed them and yet to hear back, hopefully they reply to my enquiry if not I will be shopping else where, will give Naturally Colored a look and see what yellow diamonds they have, thanks :dance: :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results