shape
carat
color
clarity

yellow sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi, maybe you all can answer a question for me.
I have seen pictures of yellow sapphires, but never actaully saw one in person.
Do they look like yellow diamonds at all?
I was wondering because I saw a gorgous yellow diamond engagment ring and I thought it would be cool to get something simlar made that wouldnt break the bank. I noticed in looking at prices on line that yellow sapphires seem to not be as expensive which is good.
thanks very much.

Phil

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/19/2006 12:55:43 PM
Author:pad3006
Hi, maybe you all can answer a question for me.
I have seen pictures of yellow sapphires, but never actaully saw one in person.
Do they look like yellow diamonds at all?
I was wondering because I saw a gorgous yellow diamond engagment ring and I thought it would be cool to get something simlar made that wouldnt break the bank. I noticed in looking at prices on line that yellow sapphires seem to not be as expensive which is good.
thanks very much.

Phil

Hi Phil..
35.gif

Diamond has a very high refractive index and strong dispersion, which gives it great fire and brilliance. The refractive index for Yellow Sapphire is lower and it has less dispersion, which translates to optically not performing as well as a diamond.

A gem quality Yellow Sapphire well cut is a very brilliant gemstone, but will not possess the same fire as Diamond. In describing fire I am referring to the colors of the rainbow seen viewing from the top of the crown looking into the stone in natural daylight. When viewing sunlight hitting a diamond, the colors of the rainbow will appear on the surfaces around you.

I think the most vivvid intense yellow diamond can't touch the color saturation sapphires can possess. I think it depends on your priorities. If your looking to say you have a very rare yellow diamond which will ultimately have greater dispersion thats great. but if it's color and the intense saturation of color your looking for, yellow sapphire is a great alternative.

Recent market conditions indicate there is not a very high premium for yellow sapphires right now compared to red, blue and pink. You can get a good price on yellow sapphire compared to the other colors. Larger stones carry more saturation. Shop around for exactly what color your looking for. There are many shades of yellow in the market. I would stay away from stones which are washed and faded out and many of the stones on the market have a brownish secondary hue.
35.gif

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
This is incredibly helpful to me because I am thinking about getting a yellow sapphire from Richard Homer after the first of the year for my engagement ring. I am torn between a round and a cushion cut. I want something that is not too orangey yellow or too green yellow. What sort of saturation and tone levels should I be looking for? I don''t intend for it to be a diamond substitute, I want it to be a yellow sapphire, but will it shine? I know it won''t be sparkly like a diamond is, I just want it to glow like Mine''s spess does, if that makes sense. Thanks again for the invaluable information colored gemstone nut!

gemmy1

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/22/2006 10:42:29 AM
Author: Mokey
This is incredibly helpful to me because I am thinking about getting a yellow sapphire from Richard Homer after the first of the year for my engagement ring. I am torn between a round and a cushion cut. I want something that is not too orangey yellow or too green yellow. What sort of saturation and tone levels should I be looking for? I don''t intend for it to be a diamond substitute, I want it to be a yellow sapphire, but will it shine? I know it won''t be sparkly like a diamond is, I just want it to glow like Mine''s spess does, if that makes sense. Thanks again for the invaluable information colored gemstone nut!
I can''t think of a better alternative than yellow sapphire. It is a mined stone available in a full range of hues and intensities- choose the one that fits your fancy. It has the durability to stand up to everyday wear and it is very affordable. It will perform very nicely if it has nice clarity and is well cut. True, intrinsically it does not posses quite the brilliance or fire of diamond, but if you keep it clean it will be more brilliant and fiery than most diamonds walking around out there!

If you want it to really look like a fancy yellow diamond, consider stones with slightly lower saturation. While most intense yellow sapphires are heat treated, you can find untreated stones in the lighter shades which would add a nice element of value to your piece.

Cushion cut will be more available in yellow sapphire than round. And because fancy colored diamonds are usually cut in non- round shapes to help intensify color, going with a cushion or oval in the sapphire will help create the effect you are looking for. Although, you could get a little more brilliance out of a really well cut round sapphire.

Have fun with it!

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for your response. I am just in love with the yellow sapphires and so is hubby. This is odd for me because I have never been attracted to yellow for anything other than paint. Something about them is just so beautiful though. I have only seen a handful in person, but they are fabulous. I am most interested in the cocave faceted ones because I think Mr. Homers work is amazing, again never seen it in person. Is this something that I need to order a couple of and pick one in person like a diamond or would I just go with pictures and be okay? Are there other cuts out there besides the concave that will give me more brilliance? The reason I ask is because I LOVE aquamarines, they are the color of hubby''s eyes, but the lightness and windowing of them turns me away. I know that if I got one cut by Mr. Homer the window would be gone and the color better. So would that be the same with the yellow sapphires? Thanks again for everyones help. This is all new to me and I am so excited about it!

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
I just recently purchased some yellow zircons. Some round brilliants and one emerald cut. If you''d like I could try to photograph them to give you an idea of how they compare. Although my previous attempts at photographing stones leave much to be desired.

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
That would be fantastic! Thanks for the offer. Can''t wait to see them!

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
I''ll try to take the photos tonight and attempt to post them tomorrow.

Tony

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
Well I''ve decided not to quit my day job and become a gemstone photograher. These photos do not do these beautiful stones any justice. I''ve included a photo of three 5mm pinks as well.

IMGP0695.JPG

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
Here are the pinks

IMGP0696.JPG

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
And finally the emerald cut. Again, the stones are much lighter and livelier in person. I hope this gives you some interest in looking for one on your own.

Tony

IMGP0677a.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
MOKEY.. this is Gemstone nuts yummy yellow RH sapphire... I am sure that baby glows!!

yellowsaphhireyummy.jpg

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the pics! Those are stunning. Mr Homer sent me potential stone pics like the one coloredgemstonenut bought, but alas I won''t be able to do anything until after the first part of the year. So I want to fill that time with knowledge and really deciding if this is the way I want to go. I have been focusinig on diamonds, but something about that yellow sapphire is calling me and my hubby. He hates diamonds
20.gif
, I know, blasphemy. But he loves color. Usually the only color he likes is blue, which is pretty, but not what I want to see. So as I was going through here, the Richard Homer stones kept catching my eye...long story short I ended up at his website and fell in love with the yellow sapphires! I just want to know if I would get as much enjoyment out of a regularly cut one over a concave cut one? I found a setting at The Natural Sapphire Company''s website, but the pics of their stones are no where near Mr. Homers, I know it must be the faceting....but they are not calling to me. Maybe it is just their pictures and the way they are taken? I just want to learn as much as I can before the big purchase, because it will be a pretty good sized one. I just really would love to know if the yellow sapphire pics he sends out are actually that color when you get them. I REALLY wish that coloredgemstonenut would take some pics of his in different lighting so that I can see what it looks like in different lights! Thanks to all who are helping me. Mokey

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
Ok, so the more I looked at the photos I posted the more embarrased I was. So I''ve tried again. Hopefully with better results. First is the emerald cut.

IMGP0677b.JPG

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
And a 7mm round...

IMGP0683b.JPG

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
And the two pinks...Even these don''t really show the great dispersion these zircons and others display. One of my favorites.

TD

IMGP0682b.JPG

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Very lovely sparkling stones!
36.gif

(and quite decent photos too!)

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Very nice photos indeed. Could you possibly take some outside so we can see their true colors? Your picture taking is fine though, no worries!

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
I had a vivid yellow sapphire set in my plat cathedral ring that my diamond was in before I had it re-set. I love it, but it doesn''t look like a diamond, probably partly because it''s a mixed cut and not round brilliant but I still love it.

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
I don''t want it to look like a diamond, I just love the color. I just don''t know what sort of tones and saturation are best to look in. I know that I love the look of the concave cuts, but are the sapphires just as pretty in other cuts? Do you have any pics of your sapphire in the setting? Thanks for the reply!

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
Got outside and took a photo of the emerald cut zircon. Shows off the color much better.

Tony

IMGP0687.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks to have a nice golden color....not sure i''d call it yellow. love the cut!

movie zombie

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely cut! and unique!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results