shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Sapphire

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I followed this IG account. Most if a not all of their stones are big rocks, very intense / vivid if not the tip top colours, and very very clean. Is it even possible?

They claim all their stuff comes with GRS/SSEF confirming identity and treatment status, so if that checks out, I don't think its impossible. With the scant info provided, I of course wouldn't trust them (or any other vendor with minimal info and incredibly high end inventory).
The black backgrounds + lights could be a big factor why the yellow sapphires pop like that. Like a lot of opal listings.
They've posted their wechat or phone number before but I don't speak Mandarin, and I couldn't afford their stuff if legit anyway. I would be super curious to hear impressions if anyone does/has contacted them though.

I enjoy the eye candy regardless of what it is.

I've looked around more and could not find truly intense orangey yellow UH sapphire like @prs's stunner. I've had similar questions about unheated yellow sapphires in terms of their saturation and orangey modifier potential, so this thread is quite interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: prs

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
DW's stone performs really well in low light, although it requires good, direct light to achieve the bright yellow color shown in my first photo. This photo would be more typical of lower light situations.

Yellow Sapphire and Marquise Diamond Ring 3.jpg

The Dec 6th Heritage Jewelry auction happens to include five good sized yellow sapphire rings LINK None of the stones are heated, and whilst some of them have good color, I don't think any of them could be described as having a high level of saturation. Those with AGL certs are all described as having "Yellow" color. DW's stone is described by AGL as having "Intense Orangy Yellow" color.

That’s still a high brightness, isn’t it?

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I must disagree with unheated yellow Sapphire being much more rare than unheated Ruby and blue Sapphire.

Untreated yellow Sapphire is relatively common, in straw yellow and slightly more saturated color. But intense yellow/gold Sapphire is very rare, and I would agree much more rare the unheated Ruby and blue Sapphire. But we have to make a distinction here or everyone will think every yellow Sapphire no matter how unsaturated is more rare. It is not.
Thanks for the insight. It still surprised me that vivid yellow sapphire is rarer than unheated ruby and blues.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I know the difference is more apparent with larger stones...but just for fun - yellow diamonds or sapphires?

IMG_20170603_113523.jpg

The hauyne ring was made with yellow diamonds. Soon after I decided to create 2 more to wear as a flower chain but didn't want to spend the money. So I opted for yellow sapphire centers for the other two. In hindsight, I should have made the original with yellow sapphires as they were a fraction of the cost and I have to look really hard to tell the difference. :doh:

I think not only the size, the variance will become more obvious when saturation rises. As two material present colour differently and it’ll be more apparent with stronger colour.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
They claim all their stuff comes with GRS/SSEF confirming identity and treatment status, so if that checks out, I don't think its impossible. With the scant info provided, I of course wouldn't trust them (or any other vendor with minimal info and incredibly high end inventory).
The black backgrounds + lights could be a big factor why the yellow sapphires pop like that. Like a lot of opal listings.
They've posted their wechat or phone number before but I don't speak Mandarin, and I couldn't afford their stuff if legit anyway. I would be super curious to hear impressions if anyone does/has contacted them though.

I enjoy the eye candy regardless of what it is.

I've looked around more and could not find truly intense orangey yellow UH sapphire like @prs's stunner. I've had similar questions about unheated yellow sapphires in terms of their saturation and orangey modifier potential, so this thread is quite interesting.

I have no idea this seller’s from China or Asia, but have an impression that some Chinese sellers did own some large and expensive inventories. The background colour could be a factor though, may be.

Anyway I can’t afford their stuffs also.

It’s an experienced and honest gemologist who told me there’s no way for a natural unheated sapphire to be of that almost neon orangey yellow hue, and it’s still very rare for heated stones to be like that. That’s why you guys’ thoughts are wanted.

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
Yellow is not as desirable a color as blue red and green in any gem family.
Yellow untreated sapphire is way more rare than blue (or red sapphire/corundum = ruby).
Rarity X demand is what is more important in establishing price or value.
On top of that, with gemstones, locality adds premiums or discounts. I have just sold a huge ruby lab identified as African but with Burmese features including over the top fluorescence. It would be worth 5 to 10 times more if it was Burmese!

Respectfully disagree.
Canary diamonds are a well sought item for jewellery.
As yellow sapphires depending upon the saturation they are gorgeous.
And as you mentioned the yellow untreated sapphire is rarer than a red sapphire(ruby which is my birthstone)and a blue sapphire.
Have seen some gorgeous untreated yellow sapphires in jewellery designs.
Think these stones will become more popular like brown diamonds which are now called chocolate and black diamonds.
And I've seen jewellery with black sapphires and orange.
Picture this if you will.
Yellow sapphires can be marketed as Golden Sapphires.
In the sunlight they look golden to me.
And also in natural light too. ;-)

Last edited:

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
OMG that looks so delicious I just want to eat it!!!

Me too! LOL
That has such a beautiful golden hue.
Really am starting to love yellow sapphires myself. :)

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
Yellow sapphires are a personal favourite of mine. Especially unheated and step cut. Yellow diamonds are out of my budget but you can find amazing yellow sapphires which really sing with colour. The biggest issue is that sapphires don’t tend to “sparkle” unless they are VERY clean so I end up cleaning my yellows every time I want to wear them.
0718CB0F-2849-4F95-8059-B044B803ADF7.jpeg 1E5CA5D9-837F-4B37-81FE-2C4DBF3E7871.jpeg 139A9D4A-DA33-40B5-89C9-33B079A5CEE8.jpeg 569A3DE5-2F7B-4CD4-8DF0-FEAA70C0653A.jpeg

WOW :love:
Those are gorgeous.
Just love the colour.
Me wants a pair of yellow sapphire stud earrings.
*drools* :pray:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Back to the topic, what’s the difference between yellow and “golden” hue? Or are they the same?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to the topic, what’s the difference between yellow and “golden” hue? Or are they the same?
if I saw a listing for a ‘yellow’ stone I would wonder if there is any golden tones.
if I saw a listing for a ‘golden yellow’, I wouldn't wonder.
Golden = brown component in the yellow

Or so I've convinced myself

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Saturation of color. Very saturated yellow with orange, but known as brown, a shade of orange.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks and it’s saturation and secondary hue. Now how should we call these various colours?
AAA3D96A-EF84-477B-B349-104D75E5B559.jpeg 2220D2D0-BA20-4767-B7B9-4FAF9F382F65.jpeg

StagandFinch

Rough_Rock
Trade
Synthetic yellow sapphire should be available from any vendor that offers lab sapphires. At least I see no reason why not, it's readily available and cuts a gorgeous gem. We don't cut a lot of yellows but they seem to have been gaining popularity these past few months which is great because I love them.

You're not limited to strictly Ceylon yellows for natural yellow sapphires either.

I've seen natural yellows come out of Australia, which is more commonly bi-color mixes of yellow, blues, and greens but pure golden yellows exist. I particularly like the greens that come out of Australia though.

I've also seen natural yellow Montana sapphires. The ones I've seen have slightly less color saturation and they're rare, but I think they're beautiful.

I have picture examples for these of my own work, but I'm new here and not clear on all the rules and don't want to cross any lines in advertising our work. If it's cool to share my own work and someone's interested in seeing it, I would be happy to.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I thought these old studs were Paste, but in looking back through the records, it turns out they are light yellow sapphire. They're OEC cut and slightly mismatched. I suppose they could be synthetic. I guess it doesn't matter much!

FD940BC2-A180-454D-9C1B-AAA1AD48881A.jpg

Last edited:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
if I saw a listing for a ‘yellow’ stone I would wonder if there is any golden tones.
if I saw a listing for a ‘golden yellow’, I wouldn't wonder.
Golden = brown component in the yellow

Or so I've convinced myself

Saturation of color. Very saturated yellow with orange, but known as brown, a shade of orange.

So its more of a primary yellow combining certain brown or orange modifier to achieve that “golden” hue. Get it, thanks. I think it would be beautiful if the mix of colours are just right, as I guess a little too much brown may result in a “burnt” colour shade to many.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Synthetic yellow sapphire should be available from any vendor that offers lab sapphires. At least I see no reason why not, it's readily available and cuts a gorgeous gem. We don't cut a lot of yellows but they seem to have been gaining popularity these past few months which is great because I love them.

You're not limited to strictly Ceylon yellows for natural yellow sapphires either.

I've seen natural yellows come out of Australia, which is more commonly bi-color mixes of yellow, blues, and greens but pure golden yellows exist. I particularly like the greens that come out of Australia though.

I've also seen natural yellow Montana sapphires. The ones I've seen have slightly less color saturation and they're rare, but I think they're beautiful.

I have picture examples for these of my own work, but I'm new here and not clear on all the rules and don't want to cross any lines in advertising our work. If it's cool to share my own work and someone's interested in seeing it, I would be happy to.

Thanks and yes I also am aware that lab yellow sapphires are available with some vendors~ Most of the time the available ones are a bit too light in tone, especially if the concerned vendor also supplies yellow YAG in which the colour is unreal ( and nice)~But this comes down to personal preference really:)

And it’s not only that yellow sapphire is mined from various places, they also vary in hue. Australia as you mentioned produces many parti stones with yellow colour zone, I prefer yellow and blue a bit more than yellow with green~As my impression is the green part is often a bit dark on this sapphire variety.

Montana also, I did saw a few on your website that are with orange hue, which offer different aesthetic as well~

Currently I am most interested in how saturated a untreated stone could be.

And your good will of sharing with your stones photo as examples is much appreciated:) Just as you mentioned the forum rules here may not allow, as it might be seen as a way to promote trade member’s own product. For my understanding, vendors are at best allowed to talk about it when requested by other forum members. Hope this helps understand how it works in PS~More experienced member please correct me if I am wrong.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
On the topic of unheated orangey yellow sapphires I thought I would share this find from IG

Looks fairly orangey to me on my phone, claimed untreated, the sun is sure is doing it favors but at least there isn't a black background

Sorry if the image is very large or small, struggling to resize on my phone.

Screenshot_20220216-025339__01.jpg

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
On the topic of unheated orangey yellow sapphires I thought I would share this find from IG

Looks fairly orangey to me on my phone, claimed untreated, the sun is sure is doing it favors but at least there isn't a black background

Sorry if the image is very large or small, struggling to resize on my phone.

Screenshot_20220216-025339__01.jpg

It is possible, but next to extremely unlikely it is not either heat treated, or BE treated. Though, BE treated stones are becoming less and less prevalent on the market because the Songea Sapphires that reacted to the BE treatment so well have been mined out. But that does not exclude reserves in the vaults of Thai dealers and others.

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
It is possible, but next to extremely unlikely it is not either heat treated, or BE treated. Though, BE treated stones are becoming less and less prevalent on the market because the Songea Sapphires that reacted to the BE treatment so well have been mined out. But that does not exclude reserves in the vaults of Thai dealers and others.

They post a lot of higher end stuff so if they are a legit seller, I think if treated its more likely to be heat only rather than BE. But a lab report is obviously a must.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
They post a lot of higher end stuff so if they are a legit seller, I think if treated its more likely to be heat only rather than BE. But a lab report is obviously a must.

Lot of beautiful jewelry and loose stones. But it is a tad surprising. Sellers of this caliber of jewelry and loose stones normally have in their listing a report or that there is one upon request.

Though, beautiful jewelry and stones again. I cannot deny.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results