shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Sapphire search!

tchoupitoulas

Rough_Rock
Hello beautiful people. I have been looking for a yellow sapphire so that I can FINALLY get engaged to my partner of 8 years! I have now reached out to 3 jewelers in my area and looked at the recommended seller list to no avail, so after months of searching, I am now looking for advice.

What I'm looking for:
-natural sapphire
-yellow or greenish yellow
-7-8mm
-square cushion
-eye clean
-light or light/medium. not too saturated but not so pale it appears colorless on the finger!
-budget $5000 for the right stone

Here is what I picture:
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 11.00.25 AM.png

So far I have found this at Africagems but I do wish it was somewhat paler or cooler, though I have reached out for more info in case it looks paler on the finger!

rare-stone-yellow-sapphire-loose-gemstone-2-5-carats-in-cushion-cut-7-4-x-6-94-x-5-04-mm-gorge...jpg

I also tried this stone in person, which was perfect in every way but looked too colorless on the finger:

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 3.32.58 PM.png

Some questions I have:

-Any places you recommend for sourcing yellow sapphires or similar?
-Do sapphires generally lose color on the finger compared to photos?
-Would you recommend sourcing through a jeweler for insurance/guarantee/repair reasons?
-Are my standards way too high or unrealistic???

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give their two cents :)

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, and congrats on your impending engagement! Very exciting, and I love an engagement ring with a sapphire! (I have a sapphire that I sometimes wear instead of my diamond. Makes me feel like a princess, ha)

Yellow sapphires I know very little about except for the standard sapphire info such as be aware of treatment, always get a lab report, etc. Apparently you also should consider the add on service AGL offers that checks stability of color of yellow sapphires. You wouldn't want to invest the money and have the color fade on you, especially if you prefer the lighter shades (which should be cheaper than the more saturated ones.)

That's all I got. I will be watching this thread though, as I love a good hunt and a love story!

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
I do not think you are being unreasonable with what you are looking for and your budget. I would reach out to Jeff White because he has a large rough inventory and can cut to your size and shape specifications. Also, as @Mrs_Strizzle mentioned, you should get a lab report from AGL about the color stability of the sapphire you end up selecting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
your budget seems realistic. With luck you can find one larger for that price.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I find second hand yellow sapphires to be well priced.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!
I personally don't mind heat treatment, especially with yellow sapphire as it actually ensures that the color stays stable (some yellow sapphires fade), although I guess a lot of heated ones are more saturated than what you are looking for.
I think if you like greenish yellow you might also like chrysoberyl, it's very tough, and also sparklier and cheaper than yellow sapphire.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a stone that fits your criteria:

I am unsure about price.

This looks nice. And I think it’s worthwhile to get in touch and enquire more details with Roger if you are considering his stones. I often browse his IG and website, and found that his stones don’t appear the best they can in his videos, not sure if it relates to lightings used or anything else, however he’s actually very reputable. So knowing more will never hurt.

tchoupitoulas

Rough_Rock
Like this
C0C701FE-FDD3-42A9-9F60-4CD4D3B12560.jpeg

WOW. this actually made my mouth water omg :kiss2: but I fear wearing a stone of that size in my daily life would literally hinder my ability to lift my arm. But it is perfection!! I'll definitely check secondhand, thank you. That color is exactly what I'm looking for

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. this actually made my mouth water omg :kiss2: but I fear wearing a stone of that size in my daily life would literally hinder my ability to lift my arm. But it is perfection!! I'll definitely check secondhand, thank you. That color is exactly what I'm looking for

Meh 7ct isn’t that heavy- in a light gold setting honestly sits pretty wearable.

But yeah if you want smaller- you’d find even cheaper.

tchoupitoulas

Rough_Rock
Meh 7ct isn’t that heavy
showing this to my partner ;-) I am a bit flexible on size so I'll keep an open mind! Trying to set in a solitaire band so I want the stone to be extra special. if there was ever a time to pull out all the stops this is it! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
showing this to my partner ;-) I am a bit flexible on size so I'll keep an open mind! Trying to set in a solitaire band so I want the stone to be extra special. if there was ever a time to pull out all the stops this is it! :)

eBay kind of solitaire were you thinking ?

tchoupitoulas

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help, y'all!

Got this from a contact today. I'm not an expert but I love the color. 2.25ct! Anything I should look out for when I view in person? for example, how is the windowing on this?

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 1.06.50 PM.png

Niel--a simple solitaire band like this

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock

Got this from a contact today. I'm not an expert but I love the color. 2.25ct! Anything I should look out for when I view in person? for example, how is the windowing on this?

Pretty! There is a window, only you can tell if it's something you can live with. The color may be very pale irl.

tchoupitoulas

Rough_Rock
Went and saw the sapphire in person! I very much love the color, how it's faint but still clearly yellow. I was shooting for 7.5mm which is what this is, however seeing it on the finger and how nicely it blends with my skin makes me want a little larger, so I am now shooting for 8mm! It looks larger in the close picture than it seemed in real life.

Pictured is a 1.9 or 2.0mm pave solitaire, but for the band I'm thinking a plain solitaire, perhaps lower in profile depending on the stone length, and somewhere between 2.2-2.4mm.

The hunt continues!

PXL_20220811_174324280.PORTRAIT-1.jpg
PXL_20220811_174719045.jpg

Timor

Shiny_Rock
That is pretty and does look very nice on your skin!

tchoupitoulas

Rough_Rock
Still searching, unfortunately! Anyone had experience with Natural Sapphire company? they have one that's caught my eye... although the cut on the bottom seems wonky. Or am I crazy?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't ever bought from this company. I've read here on PS some consider them on the expensive side. Some have had bad experiences. You can search the company name in PS and decide for yourself.

As for the cut, I think this one is pretty good for a native because there's no window. It sparkles well, imo too. I would still want a GIA/AGL report stating it is unheated (not just their in-house paperwork) and that the color is stable. I have no comment on the price as I haven't looked. I do think it's a pretty stone.

Last edited:

landscape

Shiny_Rock

If you like this sapphire, you should be looking for a yellow-green sapphire instead of a yellow sapphire.
This 4.6ct yellow-green sapphire is for color reference only, not for sale
DSC_7642.jpg DSC_7640.jpg DSC_7646.jpg DSC_7647.jpg
捕获.JPG

Last edited:

tchoupitoulas

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the recommendations!! It's been hugely helpful. I absolutely love the yellow-green shade. These places have given me great places to look and I am still on the search on these sites you've sent!

Right now I am looking at Jeff White to potentially do a custom cut, since my 7.5+ target is proving hard to find! I am shooting for close to 8, and square cushion.

The only one that comes close so far is this Natural Sapphire company stone, which I know some people don't like. It is also wonky at the base. Not a huge deal but I can't tell whether or not it will look visibly wonky at the base when set in a simple solitaire band! So I am awaiting a preview.

I really really appreciate it y'all :)

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the recommendations!! It's been hugely helpful. I absolutely love the yellow-green shade. These places have given me great places to look and I am still on the search on these sites you've sent!

Right now I am looking at Jeff White to potentially do a custom cut, since my 7.5+ target is proving hard to find! I am shooting for close to 8, and square cushion.

The only one that comes close so far is this Natural Sapphire company stone, which I know some people don't like. It is also wonky at the base. Not a huge deal but I can't tell whether or not it will look visibly wonky at the base when set in a simple solitaire band! So I am awaiting a preview.

I like this native cut sapphire, honestly. To me it gives them individuality and personality. That said, a custom cut from Jeff White would be beyond spectacular. Just depends on what flavor lights your fire.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it makes you feel any better, my bestie recently bought a pad from this company and had a smooth transaction. She loves her stone very much and it was exactly as pictured and described. It is very sparkly and colouring is the same as their videos!!!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Have you looked at The Rare Gemstone Company's selection? =)2 Good luck in your hunt!

I am going to suggest the same, especially if you’re looking for greenish yellow sapphires, their Kenyan sapphire looks like a perfect fit for such hue, and they got quite a few to choose~

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results