shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Sapphire - Is This a Good Deal??

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone. I'm new to colored stones but I am seriously thinking of creating an alternative engagement ring with one. I came across this happy-looking yellow sapphire. I am wondering what everyone here thinks of the quality of this stone and whether it is a good deal or not. The description says it's eye clean, but I noticed some possible (?) inclusions after watching the video. Any thoughts on this stone or are there other stones you know of that may be a better buy? I'm leaning towards a yellow sapphire or a green/bluish-green sapphire. I need to keep the stone cost under $1000 and (hopefully) get a stone close to 2 ct. Thanks for any advice! :)

https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/2.10ct-ceylon-cushion-yellow-sapphire-y3989-/

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I mean, I’m no expert but that color looks nice!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert either, but I do like the looks and price of that sapphire :love:.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jbows, 2Neezers, and Kevin for the feedback. Kevin, how would I find out about the "bad press"? And do you have a website with your stones for sale? Thanks again.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beryllium treatment is stable and goes through the entire stone. However, it does affect the resale value. Would you prefer a cushion or a round shaped gem? You may want to look on AJ's Gems website for comparison shopping.
@Kevin Bryant do you need to be listed as Trade in your avatar?

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Kevin.

voce

Ideal_Rock
As far as NSC sapphires go, you did pick out a great one! There is no window, and it's pretty eye clean, only a tilt window, which I personally would be ok with. If you're looking for a one stop shop, then buy that one.

If you're going to go custom with the ring setting, though, then there are better yellow sapphires out there within your price range. I'm linking some to give you some more options.

Round
https://www.etsy.com/listing/533726514/loose-yellow-sapphire-natural-ceylon?ref=shop_home_active_5

Cushion
Not as eye clean, but the size is large.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/386273...phire-cushion-cut-980?ref=shop_home_active_37

Ovals
Cheaper 2 ct, calibrated size of 9.00x7.00mm. https://www.etsy.com/listing/473229...w-sapphire-oval-cut-9?ref=shop_home_active_33
Larger, more vivid yellow 2.5 ct, which is what I would go for, if I were in your situation. https://www.etsy.com/listing/545479...low-sapphire-oval-cut?ref=shop_home_active_61

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ADF234F0-FFEB-498C-A21E-2409E675E741.jpeg I’m no sapphire guru but I’m learning. I too have a very bright yellow sapphire but as it is evidently unheated it can’t be Beryllium treated either. You can’t do one without the other. It also has some colour zoning, lower bottom part.
And Beryllium treatment requires specialized testing to confirm its existence.
Whether wrong or right, I was told that if a yellow sapphire is bright with orange tones and heated, to assume that it is also Beryllium treated.
The treatment is permanent is at an atomic level and has no effect on durability BUT as it isn’t “natural”, rarely disclosed and the process turns large quantities of otherwise non commercial gems (too brown or too silky) into a far more attractive and saleable gems, it isn’t considered a good thing.
What is does mean is that unheated sapphires become even more desirable and as “more honest, natural, from the earth gems” and much more expensive. The gem you like with Natural Sapphire Company is disclosed as heated and is priced at around $500 a carat, whereas a similar stated unheated gem is close to $1,500 a carat.
The real problem is that a heated AND Beryllium treated sapphire is not worth even $500 a carat, more like between $30 and $100 a carat according to the American Gem Trade association.
So therein lies the dilemma and without expensive testing you can’t know if it’s just heated and worth the money, or BE treated as well and vastly overpriced.
And my understanding is that is the “bad press” around this company, they weren’t disclosing what they knew.
Personally I would shop else to be sure what I’m paying for is what I’m getting.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fwiw NSC claims on their site that their yellow sapphires have not been subjected to high heat (beryllium) or irradiation.

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
ADF234F0-FFEB-498C-A21E-2409E675E741.jpeg I’m no sapphire guru but I’m learning. I too have a very bright yellow sapphire but as it is evidently unheated it can’t be Beryllium treated either. You can’t do one without the other. It also has some colour zoning, lower bottom part.
And Beryllium treatment requires specialized testing to confirm its existence.
Whether wrong or right, I was told that if a yellow sapphire is bright with orange tones and heated, to assume that it is also Beryllium treated.
The treatment is permanent is at an atomic level and has no effect on durability BUT as it isn’t “natural”, rarely disclosed and the process turns large quantities of otherwise non commercial gems (too brown or too silky) into a far more attractive and saleable gems, it isn’t considered a good thing.
What is does mean is that unheated sapphires become even more desirable and as “more honest, natural, from the earth gems” and much more expensive. The gem you like with Natural Sapphire Company is disclosed as heated and is priced at around $500 a carat, whereas a similar stated unheated gem is close to $1,500 a carat.
The real problem is that a heated AND Beryllium treated sapphire is not worth even $500 a carat, more like between $30 and $100 a carat according to the American Gem Trade association.
So therein lies the dilemma and without expensive testing you can’t know if it’s just heated and worth the money, or BE treated as well and vastly overpriced.
And my understanding is that is the “bad press” around this company, they weren’t disclosing what they knew.
Personally I would shop else to be sure what I’m paying for is what I’m getting.

First off stunning yellow sapphire, Labs like GIA and AGL have the ability to detect B.E. you are correct about assuming its B.E at those colors with out a lab report. Also if it has a pre 1999 cert it wont be B.E due to the fact B.E did not come around until around 2000. Below is a 2.74 ct Golden sapphire I sold about a year ago. I bought it from old stock with a cert from 1982 and sent it to AGL to insure it was heat only.

DSCN2239.JPG

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
07A2D1A9-3642-4E28-91CF-27E8D85668AB.jpeg
First off stunning yellow sapphire, Labs like GIA and AGL have the ability to detect B.E. you are correct about assuming its B.E at those colors with out a lab report. Also if it has a pre 1999 cert it wont be B.E due to the fact B.E did not come around until around 2000. Below is a 2.74 ct Golden sapphire I sold about a year ago. I bought it from old stock with a cert from 1982 and sent it to AGL to insure it was heat only.

DSCN2239.JPG
Thanks Kevin, that’s a help for me knowing BE came in after 2000. All my gems came from a jewellers estate and he died in 1996. I’m not sure about my marquis sapphire, but it’s good to know it’s less likely.

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
Beryllium treatment is stable and goes through the entire stone. However, it does affect the resale value. Would you prefer a cushion or a round shaped gem? You may want to look on AJ's Gems website for comparison shopping.
@Kevin Bryant do you need to be listed as Trade in your avatar?

How do I do that? Thanks

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone. This is all really useful info. You’ve made me realize I need to read more before I make a mistake and buy something that may not be what it claims to be! :read: :read: :read:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Jbows, 2Neezers, and Kevin for the feedback. Kevin, how would I find out about the "bad press"? * * *
Michael Arnstein pleaded guilty in the fall to sending forged court orders to Google & is facing up to 5 years in prison, but for some reason, his sentencing has been postponed several times. Some of the forged orders were directed at PS pages with negative reviews of the Natural Sapphire Company.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...leaded-guilty-to-forging-court-orders.234316/
Although I have no interest in giving my money to NSC, I realize not everyone shares my view on that.
fwiw NSC claims on their site that their yellow sapphires have not been subjected to high heat (beryllium) or irradiation.
Geez, I wish NSC would make it possible to find stones with independent lab reports amongst their umpteen webpages of listings. They're just 2 blocks away from AGL, but they're not providing even a $65 AGL Gem Brief with this yellow sapphire priced at nearly $12,000:
https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/6.10ct-ceylon-radiant-yellow-sapphire-y4063-/

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Kevin Bryant I am not technologically savvy so maybe if you pressed "report concern" and asked the moderator to change your designation to Trade.
@Batgirl76 I am not meaning to mislead you about beryllium treatment. I want to look for a sapphire in budget that you will be happy to wear. I love yellow. It's my favorite color. From what I understand, GIA lab does beryllium testing. If you see a gem report with "No LIBS testing then they have not checked for beryllium treatment.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@voce the ovals are gorgeous. What exactly does certificate or authenticity include? This would be a question to ask the vendor.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Thanks princessandthepear. I’m going to do some researching and go see more stones IRL and may come back with additional questions. I appreciate the guidance!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treatments are always 2 steps ahead of lab detection so I tend to be more cautious and not depend on X year is safe from BE diffusion.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Good to know! Thanks!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert...I know there's no great love for NSC here on PS, but I have to say that sapphire has a nice cut, color, clarity, and size. And not a bad price. Pretty.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please look at chrysoberyl too. It is a sparkly durable yellow gem and would make a ring. But I agree with @junebug17. You did pick a lovely sapphire at a decent price from NSC. How important is treatment to you?

voce

Ideal_Rock

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Thanks junebug17 and princessandthepear. And voce, thank you SO MUCH for looking for a stone. This one looks beautiful, and AGL too!

Unfortunately though I looked at my upcoming bills this morning and I realized I overestimated my stone budget. Grrrrr....bills. So a sapphire is out for now. I should probably choose a lower cost gem anyway, since it’s my first colored stone purchase. But thank you again. Now I know what to look for when I can afford it! =)2

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Finewater gems also has an untreated lemony yellow radiant with an AGL report for $940.00. There are other gems that come in yellow too. You can look at chrysoberyland some zircons come in yellow too. Zircon is a sparkly gem too but not as durable as sapphire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results