shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Sapphire Help please...

BSmith

Rough_Rock
Morning from the UK! After seeing how helpful this forum can be I thought that I would mine your knowledge a little if that is ok? I am hunting around for a yellow sapphire but the tricky part is I have strict instructions that it cannot be overly yellow. Size wise I am looking at 2.5 carats-ish and a round cut is preferable. Price wise I am pretty flexible, I just want a top quality stone. This one from Gemfix looks perfect cut and colour wise but it is a little too big I think.

http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-yellow-566-round-portuguese-cut-3-17cts

Any help is greatly appreciated and have a great weekend.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell us more about the size limitation of 2.5 carats? Usually the actual dimensions are more critical when someone is looking for a specific size. Narrowing your search further by shape (round) and hue (soft yellow) increases the difficulty; ovals and cushions are far more common.

I checked the following websites:
FineWater Gems who does list several lovely yellow sapphires, none round.
Precision Gems doesn't list any yellow sapphires at present.
The Gem Trader lists only a yellow sapphire radiant pair.
AJS Gems doesn't list any round yellow sapphires.
MultiColour Gems doesn't list any round yellow sapphires over 2 carats.
Master Cut Gems doesn't list any round yellow sapphires over 2 carats.

I would encourage you to reach out to FineWater Gems in particular, but also Precision Gems, The Gem Trader, and Master Cut Gems, to see if there are any suitable yellow sapphire stones in inventory and not yet posted.

The GemFix sapphire you posted has a diameter of 9mm which also happens to be a standard calibrated size, so most stock settings for a 9mm round should fit the GemFix sapphire - although, if you did go with a stock setting, you'd want to confirm it would fit the 5.8mm depth of the stone.

If the GemFix sapphire ticks the box of color, shape and very-close to carat weight, I'd recommend you consider it your top candidate. Since you are in the UK, maybe Laura/Andrew would consider taking additional photos/videos to email to you.

Shoot, I just checked the GemFix webpage for shipping, and while they will ship to the UK it is limited to items with a max purchase price of $650. http://gemfix.com/shipping-returns - I think they hold fast to their shipping policies but if you like this stone, and you get more images to confirm you like it, maybe GemFix can ship the stone to an independent appraiser in the US (like David Atlas or Neil Beatty) and then they could ship it to you in the UK (if you like what they say about the stone).

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was browsing for something else but came across this 9mm unheated AGL 2.92ct Yellow Sapphire at Africa Gems - http://www.africagems.com/round-sapphire-yellow-g2k3358.html - I think their Valentines Day 20% sale is still going on - coupon code is "vday2016" - note: it was the only round over 2 carats.

BSmith

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! The 2.5 carat thing is mostly due to my better half saying that is as big as she wants to go....stupidly when I heard her say round cut I thought that would make it easier but apparently this is not so. I have a couple of very close friends in the US so should I choose to purchase they can buy for me and then send it on. I will reach out to the people you have recommended and see what they can do for me. I thought this would be a sprint but I am begining to feel this may be a marathon to find the right stone. Many thanks and any other suggestions gladly taken.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
BSmith|1455407146|3990693 said:
Thanks for the replies! The 2.5 carat thing is mostly due to my better half saying that is as big as she wants to go....stupidly when I heard her say round cut I thought that would make it easier but apparently this is not so. I have a couple of very close friends in the US so should I choose to purchase they can buy for me and then send it on. I will reach out to the people you have recommended and see what they can do for me. I thought this would be a sprint but I am begining to feel this may be a marathon to find the right stone. Many thanks and any other suggestions gladly taken.

Is it possible that she was basing the size limit based on the size of a diamond? A 2.5 ct diamond typically is ~9mm, which is the same size as the Gemfix sapphire, so she may actually be fine with a 3ct sapphire as it will face up the same as a 2.5ct diamond. I agree with previous comments that you should consider the actual stones dimensions, rather than carat weight, when considering colored stones.

BSmith

Rough_Rock
If I am being honest I think the 3ct thing was just an arbitrary number she threw out. If there will be little difference in size then maybe the Gemfix one will work, I am finding it hard to find anything like a round cut which I think she is pretty set on. It feels like there is a lot to learn for me here! Thanks for the replies.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, one thing to remember is sapphire is heavier than say diamond. So for carat weight the actual sapphire gem size is a bit smaller than a diamond. This is my golden sapphire, it is better yellow in real life ! It's a cushion cut. I think it's 5 carats from memory but a lot of weight is in the underside!

_2016.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results