shape
carat
color
clarity

yellow or green emerald cut engagement ring help?

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Very eager to figure out what exactly I want so I can subtly (or not so subtly) make sure he knows what to get me! I've read loads of threads here but wanted to reach out for advice now that I've learned a bit more about what I want but still am so so far from all the expertise you all have.

specs--

my dream ring would be a variation on Snooper's here.

center stone: looking for advice here -- green amethyst? peridot? or citrine? fancy yellow? sapphire? ideally i'd like the color of yellow or green to be as pale as possible. so maybe a very un-clear MNOP style diamond could work? bigger the better. I'm not so picky when it comes to step cuts or color, but I really hate when you can see THROUGH a stone and see skin. Maybe that's rare but some vintage / estate pieces I've seen have been like that. Also, emeralds sometimes look a big glassy and costumey at lower ends so I'd want to make sure it gets good light / fire / flourescence?

side stones: unlike snooper's, I'd love the side stones to be tapered baguettes or fancy style.

size: around 7.5-8 or so! I have short but chubby little fingers and love the way the emerald cut makes them look longer.

budget: not very fixed, but certainly lower than most here -- hoping to stay around 5-7? under 9 certainly. my boyfriend is european and thinks E-rings are a little tacky? He is confused by the whole thing and as a result has asked me to be very specific. he's also an engineer so he like specificity. I'm hoping to get him interested in the stats etc but as of now, he's very uninspired by the process. Also, i'm not into surprises so there's that. ha. i love leon mege styles I've seen but they look very expensive -- is my budget too low to consider them?

material: platinum ideally?

other: having it sit low is a priority to me. I don't need more diamonds or pave. I prefer simpler but do like vintage or art deco styles.

location: ideally would love if the jeweler was here in NYC. I'm nervous buying online but would love your thoughts if there is great stuff out there.

I apologize if I'm not using the right terms or am a total newbie at this. Thanks in advance for any thoughts / advice!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do a light yellow diamond, sapphire, or chrysoberyl. Anything else I wouldn't consider sturdy enough for an engagement ring, especially in emerald cut, which will show chips/nicks more readily.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prasiolite (green amethyst), peridot and citrine are too soft for engagement rings. They also have low refraction and will be see-through in a step cut. Sapphire and diamond will be your best options. When you wrote that your budget is 7, do you mean $700 or $7000? This makes a huge difference is what will be suggested since you are looking for a 8 mm stone. I don't think you can get any diamond in that size for under $7000. Is this budget just for the stone or the entire ring?

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the insights. so many questions.

1. stones that aren't hard enough would be a major issue-- do you think any jewelers recommending it arent reputable? :???:

2. as for cost, the #s refer to thousands. ideally would like the whole price to be below $7000, but I have some wiggle room possibly up to 9k or beyond. this budget is for the entire ring vs just the stone. is it typically more cost effective to separately purchase the stone and the setting?

3. Based on what you are all saying, am I right to assume that my budget means diamonds in the N-R color scale would be out of range? Is "fancy yellow" considered in this range or is it something else?

4. distracts- I LOVE chrysoberyl looking at it now that you've mentioned it. how rare is it? how much of a color range does it have? does it ever come in a very pale green vs stronger color?

5. where are the best places to find sapphires? i have heard mixed things about bluenile & the natural sapphire company here so i'll likely avoid those spots.

thanks again!

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I don't think yellow diamonds are out of range if you can give a little on size. As for the color, the only way to know your preference is to see some in person. I'd still contact diamondsbylauren, as he carries diamonds in various colors and intensities and since you are in NYC you would be able to see them in person to get a sense of what you like. Here is a Q/R stone that is in your price range: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...3ct-q-r-vs2-radiant-cut-gia-unusual-cut-r4781. And here is a sapphire which is probably a more intense yellow than you are looking for: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...ow-sapphire-emerald-cut-beautiful-color-r4181.

He also sells settings, and could make one similar to the ring I suggested for you earlier, before I realized that by 7.5-8 you were referring to the size of the stone , not your ring size, duh :) .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing you'll need to set aside at least $2000 to $3000 for the setting and sidestones, leaving you $5K to $6K for the stone. Not all jewellers know gemstones well and thus advice you incorrectly on what gem type you should use as an e-ring stone. You might be able to get close to the size you want in the fancy or light range. Chrysoberyl can be light as well.
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/yellow_diamonds#.UhEcDWS9LTo

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
love that O-P color one! wish it wasn't square. the yellow emerald is lovely too. i'm starting to look more at oval stones now-- wonder why there seem to be so so many more? also discovered the "knife cut" shape. love it but I suppose it's fairly rare?

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
also wondering if there is any specific word for this type of cut? I love the pattern in it.

tour734__1_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chatbandit|1377042430|3506918 said:
love that O-P color one! wish it wasn't square. the yellow emerald is lovely too. i'm starting to look more at oval stones now-- wonder why there seem to be so so many more? also discovered the "knife cut" shape. love it but I suppose it's fairly rare?

Knife cut? Do you mind showing a picture or two? Ovals are more common because most rough tend to lend itself to that shape. To cut a different shape means more loss of material, loss of higher potential value, and even possibly loss of colouration.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Chrono - realized "knife cut" is just an idiom for an edged emerald setting.

**UPDATE!*** went ring shopping and have loads to share. learned a lot and had some mild adventure / intrigue w/ some hard selling (mildly drama-filled) diamond dudes.

pics.....excuse old manicure & pudgy fingers

2_pretty_yellow_0.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you ended up with a DBL radiant cut yellow diamond?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Did you buy that impressive critter? Would love to hear the rest of the story! What happened with the stone you posted earlier?

--- Laurie

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
yellow diamond e-ring help?

i have so so many pics! i got all spazzed by the stupid rotation issue of the ICP so i stopped posting midstream!

short version: still not sure. either way I won't be buying it, I'm just telling my boyfriend what I like so he can decide. this was my first real pass at the diamond district (first few shopping experiences were just at individual jewelers-- tiffany's, david yurman, mauboussin, etc). so while not clear, I am getting closer to knowing what I want.

Picture problems aside, here's what I discovered-- some questions but mostly trying to track my learnings:

1. I don't like shadowy emerald cut stones
  2. I may prefer cushion or even square / princess cut when in a double halo
  3. I must have a split shank. it just really suits my hand and looks balanced.
  4. I like when the double halo leaves 'air' around the pave diamonds. it looks more delicate & feminine somehow and less giant cocktail ringlike
  5. pale yellow diamonds are hard to find. people seem to prefer very saturated fancy yellows instead. pale fancies are not common i guess?
  6. i don't like when the yellow diamonds are set in gold in an otherwise platinum / white gold ring. i know it's a style that most people prefer to enhance the color but i prefer a more muted yellow and a more uniform setting color. this became a big discussed controversy at not one but 3 jeweler appointments. :rolleyes:
  7. i dislike when pave goes all the way around and actually prefer a 'narrower' silhouette -- that is, if there are side stones, they don't extend too far
  8. micropave looks too sparkly and disney to me (partly i think this is enhanced next to yellow, whereas w/ a clear diamond it is more magical. no micropave for me!
  9. ring weight matters. some of the super light ones make me nervous
  10. my desired band width is something i'm still unclear on

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
the punchline:

img_0908_0.jpg
the favorite. the airy double halo with a split shank.

other things i learned & tried:

art_deco_setting_0.jpg
wouldn't choose this art deco, but it is really unique and lovely-- a bit too specific for everyday wear though

Osfecm4l.jpg

a little confused by EGL vs GIA?

fy4bQhrl.jpg

part of the drama related to diamond color. apparently even asking to see color-ful diamonds past L was a laughable joke so we were given this sort of odd colored one. then the guy started quoting FY diamonds at 20k for like 2 carot? things we knew were odd. he had some long thing about how the guy across the street was clearly a conman, ask to see the certificates etc etc

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
zooming in on the favorite:

FzULjHgl.png

an angle-- you can see, not a set stone, just placing it there to imagine in my favorite setting

J37RiZEl.jpg

other ones i liked:

lZdoew6l.jpg

may be a bit too blingy though

X85YdjPl.png

eGE0jHPl.png

pretty but not into micropave:

CmbGAFDl.jpg

Tfyyjtrl.png

general:

discovered a jeweler specializing in yellow -- wooo this was only one of her 9 cases.

rFKMNgql.jpg

next time i may try marquis even though i don't think it's for me.

sorry for the additional comments -- cant seem to edit. more photos & story--

re: EGL vs GIA--- this back and forth caused some stir with the more questionable jewelers when we questioned this. i've sinced researched it but am still confused why this was so sensitive? my best friend joined me on this expedition as she'll be conveying my preferences to my FH who just wants a clear top 3 favorites to pick from. my friend is a tough hollywood exec and a rather dedicated jewelry consumer herself and she pressed hard to see the certificates a few times (when i was shy) and almost every time they were odd about this. the best few we went to seemed apologetic that certificates were locked away in the safe, and they offered to send via email, which never happened. but several phone calls bugging me did!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me I would take the ideas and styles you like of these rings and have your FI make one with a more reputable vendor. I think the ring could be made with better quality from a PS vendor, and I KNOW they will be more than happy to show you the certificates of every diamond you concider.

The fact they got uncomfortable would have me running!

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Re: yellow diamond e-ring help?

chatbandit|1378789454|3517745 said:
i have so so many pics! i got all spazzed by the stupid rotation issue of the ICP so i stopped posting midstream!

short version: still not sure. either way I won't be buying it, I'm just telling my boyfriend what I like so he can decide. this was my first real pass at the diamond district (first few shopping experiences were just at individual jewelers-- tiffany's, david yurman, mauboussin, etc). so while not clear, I am getting closer to knowing what I want.

Since you were shopping in the diamond district, I assume you visited David at Diamonds by Lauren?

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
david was busy at Diamonds By Lauren but my intention is to visit him in the next few weeks. Certainly will buy from a PS approved vendor, just wanted to do research and narrow the focus onto what it is I want.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you try on any marquise?? I feel like a double halo split shank marquise would be too cool! And super flattering on the hand. Just a thought. Don't know if you tried one or not.

Like this.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/8878.htm#.Ui9L7qMpDFo

I know people don't like them but I'm the chairwoman of the Give Marquise A Chance committee. So I say at least try one ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chatbandit|1378794140|3517759 said:
re: EGL vs GIA--- this back and forth caused some stir with the more questionable jewelers when we questioned this. i've sinced researched it but am still confused why this was so sensitive? my best friend joined me on this expedition as she'll be conveying my preferences to my FH who just wants a clear top 3 favorites to pick from. my friend is a tough hollywood exec and a rather dedicated jewelry consumer herself and she pressed hard to see the certificates a few times (when i was shy) and almost every time they were odd about this. the best few we went to seemed apologetic that certificates were locked away in the safe, and they offered to send via email, which never happened. but several phone calls bugging me did!

GIA has the most strict and highly respected standards for color, clarity grades, both for white diamonds graded on their D-Z scale and Fancy Colored Diamonds graded on their Faint to Fancy Deep scale.

After reading pricescope for almost 10 years I have read many many examples where highly respected professionals state EGL color and clarity grades can be much higher than GIA's grades for the same diamond.
IMO, what EGL is doing is fraud.
They get away with it by saying grading is subjective or done by humans.
I say hogwash.
GIA uses humans too.

By grading 'generously' EGL-graded diamonds appear to be less expensive than GIA-graded ones.
They are not.
They are just not correctly graded.

Think of a car dealer removing a Toyota badge from a car and replacing it with a Lexus badge.
The customer thinks they are getting a Lexus.

The sellers of EGL diamonds know EGL grading is 'generous', so they price them cheaper.
Often you are actually paying MORE for an EGL diamond, compared to what the price would be if GIA had graded it and given the lower grades.
IOW a diamond that GIA graded Light Yellow SI1, may get grades of Fancy Intense Yellow VS1 or even better from EGL.
Also there is no consistent correction factor ... you can just subtract 2 grades off an EGL-graded diamond.
The grades may be accurate or they may be several grades off.
How in the world is a customer supposed to comparison shop?
I'd never buy a colored diamond without a GIA report.

Most shoppers don't know this dirty shameful secret of the diamond industry.
That is why sellers of EGL-graded diamonds get all sensitive when a customer asks about GIA vs. EGL or other sub-standard lab.
Personally, I don't know how they can sleep at night being party to a huge deception.

I'm a collector of Fancy Colored Diamonds who has made 20 purchases from Leibish & Co www.fancydiamonds.net .
I strongly endorse this vendor.
You can believe their photography for color and cut, which I don't always see in sellers of colored diamonds.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
ahhhh that makes so much sense. thanks for the EGL vs GIA clarification!

also, oh my that marquise is STUNNING. i will have to try one! thank you for the link!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a marquise cut can also look great set east-west.....

interested a bit in personality and cut? you might find this fun and interesting if you have not seen it before:

Rounds:
A homemaker...simple tastes...simple likes and dislikes...family is all important...outside interest are limited...easy to get along with...not aggressive or pushy will never drive a mate to an ulcer or heart attack...excellent home maker...a "saver"...content as long as family and health are good. Ideal grandparents...very dependable...likes routine and stability.

Pears:
Home centered...but like to keep his or her options open...more ambitious than a round...more open to trying something new...considerate...likes to be innovative...adjusts well to new situations...frugal with family finances...encourages spouse not only to keep up with but get ahead of peers...good homemakers...solid citizens.

Marquise:
Family and home take a backseat to career... A "player" marriage is only one of life's minor challenges...Aggressive, Daring, Experimental...Achievement is their thing...Sexy, Temperamental...and almost the opposite of a round or emerald/princess person...Not a homebody. Wants new physical and intellectual experiences...They keep partners on their toes! Loves excitement and turmoil, IMPULSIVE...needs to travel likes to be on the move. Poor risk for longevity in a marriage. PARTY ANIMAL.

Princess/Emerald:
Disciplined and organized...good leaders...order and cleanness important...lifestyle can be rigid. Adheres to customs (good follower)...makes changes only after careful consideration. Good teachers...hate pushy or aggressive males or females...can't be BS into anything. Look before they leap...honest and open and expect to be treated the same.

Oval:
Individualistic...organized...disciplined but not rigidly so... good budget keeper...can be creative...independent and orderly...fun loving but not a player...Faithful to their true love once they decide who it is! Leader & Community worker...dependable...likes to be different but not an extremist...good executive yet home loving...has a mind of their own doesn't follow the crowd. Not terribly aggressive...children are well behaved.

Heart:
Creative...outgoing...flirtatious...highly sensitive to criticism...cries easily...tends to live on cloud 9 (and likes it there) clinging-vines co-dependent...overlooks loved ones faults...likes affection...romantic...never forgives mate if the forget a birthday or any other important date. Sensitive...trusting...responds well to sweet talk...TYPICAL SOUTHERN BELLE!

////////////////

and apparently the techie types are into a princess cut!

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
thats so fun, movie zombie!

I am a techie myself so it's funny to see princess. I do see some correlation here! but given that my preferences have changed a bit it'll be fun to see where I end up!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chatbandit|1378859422|3518319 said:
thats so fun, movie zombie!

I am a techie myself so it's funny to see princess. I do see some correlation here! but given that my preferences have changed a bit it'll be fun to see where I end up!

Haha I don't think they corelate but interesting to read. Easy way to prove that wrong is to get all the shapes! Lol.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
i work near the diamond district and am planning to walk by during lunch and see what i can find to try on. i'm doubtful that many marquises will be there but it's worth a try! from what i can tell online, i am not sure i like the marquise shape in a colored stone -- it's super pretty w/ a halo and a split shank and i like how elegant it is, so hopefully i can get a sense of it

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chatbandit|1378908448|3518614 said:
i work near the diamond district and am planning to walk by during lunch and see what i can find to try on. i'm doubtful that many marquises will be there but it's worth a try! from what i can tell online, i am not sure i like the marquise shape in a colored stone -- it's super pretty w/ a halo and a split shank and i like how elegant it is, so hopefully i can get a sense of it
In one of the pics you posted they had one in a halo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results